Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Labor day all,

Happy Birthday Garry!

Going to spend some time in the basement clearing out my workbench. I want to start scratch building soon, and everything hobby related has been stacked in layers.

Have a great day!

Only supposed to reach 82 here today ... but we are not out of the "hot weather" season with at least two months to go.

Happy Birthday, Garry!
birthday dogs.jpg

Willie I hope to get a train rolling soon! I'm banking on Christmas. Last Christmas, I this house, I had my Lionel Christmas Zephyr running around my Christmas Tree! Because of the minimum curve for the Zephyrs is O72 It ended up being approximately 7'X10' Christmas garden. It was plenty of room for the nativity. :)

Evening fellers. Down in the train room.....building my scenery is proving a pain in the.....yeah you know. Anyways I can't use wadded paper. No amount of masking tape will hold to form what I need. Shaper sheet works for small sections but won't go the direction I want to go in. I'm going to attempt cardboard strips. I have plenty of cardboard and I'm hoping to get the results I need. Atleast I hope..... This build has proven to be a pain in the butt!!! Unlike my last build where I was able to wing it. I can't wing it this time. I have roads planned and structures. So now I have to plan my scenery. Something new to me. All I have for now on that. Oh and Happy birthday Garry.

My first time weathering, using one of the $1.00 experimental cars I found on C/L.
Used the wifes make up sponge.
Dave
View attachment 30205View attachment 30206

One of the tricks to get powders to stick to plastic cars is to first wash them with warm (not hot) soapy water (dishwashing liquid) to remove any contaminants (skin oil from handling mainly), allow to dry fully, then spray with Testors dullcote to give a flat surface, that also provides a key for the powder to adhere to. To provide an aged/faded look, a spray with thinned white or light gray paint, before the dull cote. If you haven't got an airbrush, look for a rattle can of "Frosted Window", which is basically, just that.

Howdy,,

Thanks again, everybody, for the birthday wishes..... I hope you enjoyed the virtual cake and ice cream.... We were in Tennessee this afternoon and evening. ..

Cheers.

Good morning everyone. 73 and clear here. Chance of rain everyday for the next week!

Long weekend is over, but that leaves a short workweek! Twofers - - I love it!

Garry - Belated birthday wishes. That was the best virtual cake I've ever had!! Here comes a virtual burp!!
Toot - Thanks for the tips on weathering you posted yesterday. I haven't gotten into weathering yet, but information like this is a big help.

Weekend just past: mowed entire lawn, hauled dirt, filled in low areas, worked on some wiring and lighting in the remodeled bathroom, and got some time in the trainroom. Made progress on painting the DPM structure, put together some Insta-Fence, and did some landscaping. Little by little . . .

Have a good day everyone.

My home internet is flaking out. Sometimes, I have really good connection and speed, sometimes I have zip.
Right now is one of the good times. Appt for time warner (or whoever thy are this week) to come out and replace cables damaged by a falling tree.

Karl - I forgot - I have to get in on the suggested dog name thing - - how about NYC - pronounce it "Nick"? :D

Good morning Everybody!

We had a great cookout yesterday.

I managed to get some painting in as well.

I hope Everybody is doing good.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. It's 73° and cloudy. Sprinkles and light rain showers off and on yesterday left .75" in the rain gauge. We're in for more of the same today and for all of the next ten days according to the forecast. Didn't keep me from smoking a rack of tasty spareribs on the grill. Back to normal today, wait! Yesterday was normal! No days off for the retired. I am hearing reminders right now that dove hunting season started here last Saturday. Due to the cloudy day yesterday, the pool was only 81° when I got into it about an hour ago. Since I am expecting rain most of the day, I went for my daily walk by the light of the moon (sort of) at 5:30.
Still working on small projects in the train shed. Wood work is on hold because I don't stand in the rain with the saw, and I had put up the sawhorses Sunday. I did do the scenery on that very small block of layout, 6 sq in, and took a couple of pictures. Alas! the camera is still outside because of ribs which were more important. Started and finished a small project of consolidating five or six separate containers of small pieces of small gauge wire into a single shoebox. I also dug out a "project" structure from the old layout that has been packed away for eight years. I will rehab it for a space in my largest town of Ft Wish. Prior to being packed away, a dirt dauber had built a nest on the backside of it which I partially removed yesterday. This is one of the earliest structures that I built for the layout in the late 80's. It was called the "Gemini Building" from Walther's at that time (previously a Magnuson Model), it has since been re-marketed as "Jim's Red Owl". Progress reports upcoming.

Mike - My projects are not only on the workbench, but scattered around the layout, on shelves under the layout and in boxes as well. o_O

No disrespect intended (pun intended), but I read where the Aretha Franklin's funeral was over seven hours long Friday. I would have been napping.
Everybody have a great day in this short work week.

Good morning. 40 degrees to start the day with a high near 80 in the forecast.

Garry - a late 548.gif

truckdad - Toot gave some good advice for weathering. I custom painted a boat load of undecorated blue box cars for my railroad. After the decals were applied, the cars got a light coat of Dull Coat to "seal" the decals and then black chalk was applied with a stiff brush to try to make the cars look like soot and dirt dripped down the sides of the cars. After the chalk was applied, I very lightly used an air brush to very lightly apply a mud color just along th bottom of the cars to sesemble the dust that the cars would have picked up going down the rails. Another coat of Dull Coat was applied to seal everything. There cars were done over 25 years ago and are still in every day service.

IMAG0002.jpg

Here's a car that was done with dry transfers. The logo didn't all adhere and a bit of paint was applied to give the impression of running paint. I have also used a make up sponge to apply powders. They work well, but nothing will stick to a glossy finish. Dull Coat is a must. Another thing you might try is to use light washes of diluted paint. This was an experiment that actually worked out. After the washes were applied to resrmbly dirt and other stuff dripping down the sides of the cars. A light dusting of "mud" was air brushed on and Dull Coat was applied to finish the car. Ended up doing four others because the first one came out looking pretty good. I did these for a friend, but he unfortunately passed away. I had totally forgotten about them and found them in a stash of old boxes I had put away. Greg in Wisconsin now has them because I have no ore hauling on my railroad. These were old cheap Roundhouse kits. Don't hesitate to experiment. You never know what you can come up with.

IMAG0321.jpg

Karl - That a nice looking pup. I am a dog lover. They sure become part of the family.

Not much work in the train room yesterday. I did run trains for a while and also installed an LED in the yard tower. Now I have to fine some details for the interior. Didn't think about that until it was lit. doh.gif

Here's a rail picture for today.

railroad-track.jpg

Later

Good afternoon.
The hospital told me to be here at 9 for my wife's discharge.
So, I took the day off work, and came to the hospital.
We're still at the hospital...

Louis, this obviously means the GP35 won't ship out today...

Yard work is done, laundry is all caught up and I had 2 left over hotdogs for lunch. It's off to a great day for this the first day of school for my boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back