Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.
The hospital told me to be here at 9 for my wife's discharge.
So, I took the day off work, and came to the hospital.
We're still at the hospital...

I hope you get squared away soon.

Godspeed my friend.

Louis, this obviously means the GP35 won't ship out today...

That's the last thing you need to worry about. I'm never in a hurry for anything. It's going to sit in a box when I get it.

I'm hoping to run some O gauge, both scale O and Traditional O Christmas trains, by thanksgiving or Saint Nicolas day at the latest. I have no idea when I will run an HO train, next year at the earliest.

No need to rush Terry.

Good afternoon gang
Sadly, it appears we got beat to the punch on the dog. We will keep looking for a pup that meets the GF's approval. (She's a little bit picky)
Terry, I hope the hospital cafeteria has good sammiches.
BBL

Late arriving today - neighbor and Spousal Unit have occupied my morning!
The day is already half over and I have not even had my second coffee! GASP! How can that be?
TERRY - Hope you and the misses get out of hospital jail soon. Pray that she continues to improve.
Chet - one of my neighbors (two houses down) has bought land and planning to move to Eagle, ID, in the spring.
Says he has had enough of CA. He works from home, has his own IT internet service, and says he can live anywhere - pretty nice.
Willie - Hope you did not leave the camera out in the rain?
Karl - Sorry you did not get the pup! Older dogs are good too! But, I would recommend a trial basis at first? - Like maybe a rescue organization?
Louis - Good luck on getting something set up to run. I am cheering you on!
Johnny - I like your style of humor! Keep it up!

Good evening.
I arrived at the hospital at 9:30 AM.
We left the hospital at 3:30PM.
It seems my wife now requires oxygen 24/7, and we had to wait for the order to be written. Then we had to wait for the home oxygen company to be contacted.
Then we had to wait for the company to deliver a tank of oxygen to my wife's room at the hospital.
But, we still couldn't leave until the oxygen company confirmed they were coming to the house today to install the equipment.
The home oxygen guy left about an hour ago.

Wheels within wheels Terry, they all tend to rub against each other and slow each other down.

1536110131337.png

Good morning Everybody!

I actually had to work a bit yesterday, thank God I can. After I cut the grass I got a text from Amazon, they had fallen behind and were paying extra! I had to jump on that!

I took a route that was supposed to be 4.5 hours. I was done in 2.5 hours, but I had a package I could not safely deliver, I hate when that happens! If you know me; you know I don't like to use the word hate and I like to deliver all of my packages!

I call Amazon support. I always think the same thing when I call support "let's roll the dice and see who answers?" They always answer, but sometimes they are of little help. Like the time the lady told me to try to sneak into the NSA complex. I said "that's not an option when the guards are real soldiers with automatic weapons."

Back to yesterday evening. I have a package for a commercial customer in an industrial park I know very well. The Amazon support lady tells me "it's ok to leave the package" I told her "no, it's not" I remind her that our policy is not to leave an unattended package outside of a commercial customers place of business. Unless we have specific instructions from the customer. That was why I called, to be sure the customer had not left other instructions, God help me. I already called the customer, no answer.

Now I have to go back to southwestern Baltimore City from eastern Baltimore county. I live in southeast Baltimore. Ok it took me under 25 minutes to make the trip and go home. I was home, still being paid for another 2 hours. I'm blessed, but I still complain, sometimes.

God Bless Us Everyone!

Good morning everyone. 71 and clear here in SW MO. Rain chances increase tonight and for the next five days. May get the remnants of Gordon. Pray for the folks on the northern Gulf coast.

Chet - really nice photos of your weathering projects. As I said yesterday, I'm not into weathering yet, but photos like those inspire me.
Toot - Interesting video of the Bluebird.

Painted part of the remodeled bathroom last night. In fact, as I'm typing this morning I see a couple of spots of paint that didn't wash off my hand last night! I think I see light at the end of the tunnel for this project (and it's not an oncoming train!). Did get a little time at the modeling workbench and painted almost all the details on the Robert's Dry Goods DPM structure that I got from Chet. Keep kicking myself for not taking more photos to document progress. Will try to remember.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning gang,
76° and sunny, another day we will touch the 90s.

Louis, you are a better man than I. When I was younger (10 ft tall and bullet proof) I would stride through any part of Bmore. My sister lived on St.Paul Street so I was downtown a lot. (Hammerjacks!) All over the town, Hanover Street, to Broadway, to Key Highway to Belair Road and Frankfurt, where I went to elementary school. Now, with a few exceptions, the place gives me the creeps. I just don't go there anymore.

Howdy ....

Today is our anniversary. ....

Many years ago, my wife gave me a brass model of "Skookum". ...... So I'm fascinated with an article in October 2018 Trains entitled "Skookum Lives" ... The article tells the interesting history of the little 2-4-4-2, built by Baldwin in 1909. It worked on logging railroads for many years. In 1955, it had an accident and was abandoned in the mud for many years. The article tells the amazing story about how its remains were retrieved and how it is being rebuilt so it can operate again.

Here are photos of my model.

43764660644_bceb038177_b.jpg

35698964572_e0fcdd64f4_b.jpg

I think I'll take Shelley out to dinner this evening.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 74° here also. A little late posting this morning as I paused to watch Stuart Varney's show on Fox Business and the opening salvo in the Kavanaugh hearing. Thunderstorms in the forecast for this afternoon and the next few days, they never materialized yesterday. Spent part of yesterday morning rearranging stuff in the kitchen after replacing two false-front drawers with the real thing. Yard didn't dry out enough from Monday's rain to mow yet, maybe this morning before the expected rain this afternoon. We'll likely get some action from tropical storm Gordon later in the week, nothing severe but the low pressure system associated with it will bring lots of Gulf moisture up north.
High temperature yesterday was only 81° which allowed me to do my least favorite outdoor chore of manning the weedeater. Went through a full reel of cutting cord around the house, train shed, trees, pool, wood piles and garden fence.
What little time I had in the train shed, was spent running trains and visualizing. I posted about a very small area of the layout that I did some scenery work on, it is only 6 sq in, but it is between some finished structures. Pictures - before:
09-05-18 005.001.JPG

First step was painting the alley and adding a background building; which came from the Tomkat posts that Bob restored earlier this year.
09-05-18 003.001.JPG

I also added a painted sidewalk and a gravel parking area for the tenants living upstairs in the building on the left. By mounting the background building up about 3/8" above the backdrop/base junction, I was able to add some depth to the scene.
09-05-18 008.001.JPG

09-05-18 014.001.JPG

It is a small area but ties together adjoining elements. Still to come, I am looking for some "Private Parking" signs to add to the walls on either side to complete the setting. Next I will tackle the small area to the right of the clock shop.

Chet -
...also installed an LED in the yard tower. Now I have to find some details for the interior. Didn't think about that until it was lit.
Been there done that. Especially frustrating if I glue the roof and floor on. I use Scenic Glue now in case I need to add or remove stuff.
Karl - Good luck on the next doggie.
Sherrel - No camera in the rain, I should have been more specific with "outside in the train shed".
Louis - Good to see that you are busy, just don't overdo it again and again.
Garry - Congratulations on your anniversary, whichever one it is. My 46th is this coming Sunday. Just got my issue of Trains yesterday, but haven't had a chance to open it. I look forward to that article.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone...sunny, but more rain for Wisconsin today.

Willie: Nice signs and structures, tell your method for doing the wall signs. They look great!

Truckdad: While I'm not a perfect applier of weathering, practice will make it better each time you do a car. I practice on $1.00 cars I buy at the LHS and practice, practice and more practice. Find a method be it chalks, air brushing or washes until you find a method a that works for you. Sometime it may be a combination of methods that modelers use for weathering.

Early weathering of a SOO loco and ore cars. The base color of the ore cars was black, now hidden by weathering.

New Ore Cars.jpg

Louis: Nice photograph!

Off to the hospital for some testing....fun.

Have a great day Everyone!

That's all for now.

Greg

##########################################

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 37 degrees at 0400 when our little doxie decided that it was time to eat. Wish I could figure out how to reset her internal clock. Had to get a fire going to take the chill off.

Terry - Hope your wife was comfortable last night. I'm sure that she's glad to finally be home. Hoppe her condition improves.

Sherrel - I really can't blame your friend for wanting to leave California. Eagle is just out of the Boise area.

Louis - that one sweet photo. Thumb up.gif

Johnny - At first I was really intimidated when it came to weathering, but after a bit of practioce, it got easier and easier. Withing to see the DPM building.

Toot - Quite the video. Enjoyed the story.

Garry - I really like that little locomotive. That kind of articulated would fit onto my turntable.

Willie - Nice photos. Your town are slowly coming together with some really nice details. I did not glue the roof on the yard tower thinking ( almost hurt myself ) that lighting may be added at some time. I also did not glue the tower to the surface. A quick job on the lighting. Now all I have to do is find interior details.

20180904_130007.jpg

I also finished one of the many projects on the workbench. There are so many. Here is the new transfer caboose being delivered to the Logan Yard. It was on the workbench for months.

20180904_125730.jpg

Here's a rail picture for today.

infinity-train-tracks.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back