Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I found an easy way to model a load out. Rather a bucket loader load out.
77ba08c3a4c7e95f472e6c86fef8f8eb.jpg

Justin

Good evening y'all. 19° and clear. It's winter in the Metro area. Listening to the near hysteria on TV News, one would think this has never happened before. The talking heads are telling everyone to stay home during the "crisis".

Justin: Nice photo. that's easy to model.

Curt: Sorry you lost your little critter. We do get attached to them. The pumping station model looks like a challenge. Going to be a nice building.

Postscript on my ride through the whiteout. Shortly after we passed through the snow belt, (a distance of perhaps eight to ten miles in length), the authorities closed I-81 in both directions, due to three to five feet of new snow. It was reopened this afternoon. Did I mention that I'm not fond of snow?

I found a pair of Lifelike P-1-K Budd RDCs painted for the B&O. Run nice.

Good morning gang
12 degrees, but clear this morning. Filling up the gas tank this morning is going to be a chilly experience!

Good morning. It's clear and 16.

Last Saturday, we went to my nephew's house for a Christmas get-together. Everyone under the age of 10 had a cold. Guess what I'm in the process of coming down with?...

I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow for a serious blood pressure issue. I'll just add the cold to the list when I go.

Good Morning All. 33° and cloudy. Sun is supposed to come out later today and warm the place up to 40°. Temperatures are forecast for the teens and low 20's for a week starting Sunday. Brrrh! Got the last of the holiday festivities out of the way yesterday, now a return to a more normal life. I'm OK with it all, but it is a lot of time on the road getting to and from. Two 150 mile round trips to Dallas and back and another 175 mile round trip to south of Ft Worth and back in five days. Encountered traffic stoppages, highway construction and an accident in Ft Worth yesterday which made the trip longer, although I accidentally merged onto an "Express Lane" and made a very fortunate bypass of a two-mile long traffic jam (complete stoppage) that I didn't see coming up. Neither did GPS.
Didn't make it to the train shed yesterday, but I did receive a $50 gift certificate to Discount Model Railroad which will be put to good use next week. I generally wait about two weeks after Christmas before going to allow them to re-stock from the post gift certificate "rush" that they always have.

Joe - Hard to believe that it is still illegal for self-service gas stations in NJ. I was aware of it years ago, but thought that they might have had the sense to change that by now.
Sherrel - Thoughts and prayers for your daughter, hope that she recovers soon. I could ride anything to the North Pole with those Santa's helpers.
Johnny - Just wait until you retire and no longer get days off.:cool: Although I did sleep in Sunday until 5:15! After 43 years of getting up at 4:00 am, I still do 2 1/2 years later.
Curt - Sad to read about the passing of your beloved skunk. I know how close you get to those rescued critters. Eleven years, you're right about that being an unusually long lifespan. Despite what I have read about some VA centers, my neighbor, like you, always seems to have good results with the local (Denton TX) CBOC as well as the regular VA center in Dallas. It's refreshing to note that. Boy, that's a nice looking kit. I noticed that you have really gotten smitten with the laser-cut wood kits lately. I really like them and will probably pick up a couple more next week when I visit the LHS, even though I still have two on the shelf waiting to be built.
Terry - Good luck with your health.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning. It has warmed up to 15°.

Joe - Hard to believe that it is still illegal for self-service gas stations in NJ. I was aware of it years ago, but thought that they might have had the sense to change that by now.

Willie: Every time we get a new Governor, the Fuel interests lobby for self serve. Every tie the issue is brought up, we hear from the Jersey Girls Don't pump gas crowd, while insurance groups and Fire Fighting Organizations argue that safety requires trained attendants to dispense liquid fuels. - In other words, mere mortals are too incompetent to fuel their own cars at a gas pump. - and the nays have it. Amazing how smart we get when we cross over into another state, eh?

CNJ Covered Hopper 2.jpg

Good morning. Heat wave with 29 degrees to start off the day. A winter weather advisory forecasts snow for the next three days, and then temps dropping to below zero. Went out to the shop to get the skid steer out and that was a no go. It wouldn't start because some dummy forget to turn on the heat. I'll probably borrow the plow truck at work and widen the drive so I have room to put the predicted 12 to 20 inches of snow being predicted. It would be a real booger if the truck delivering me new snow blower wouldn't be able to get in the driveway.

Justin - It seems like you have another option for loading coal.

Curt - Sorry to hear about your little friend. They really can become part of the family and a big loss then they pass. A couple of years ago we had to put two of our dogs to sleep. It really hurts.

Joe - We really enjoy seeing the panic on the news when metro areas have snow in the forecast. Have to laugh at those broadcasts.

Curt - Nice building. You sure are adding some interesting structures to you layout. With all of the snow and cold, I am seriously thinking about spending a few weeks at out place in the keys. By the way, the damages from the hurricane was minor. My friends had to replace some sheet rock in the lower level and repair the porch. We were far enough inland not to have had the storm surge and wind was the only other problem. Cost us around $3,500 to complete the repairs. My friends are tradesmen and easily took care of the repairs.

Willie - Sorry about sending you some cold weather, but we did wear it down first. Not all of the Christmas festivities are over. Now you have to take down the Christmas lights.

Terry - We usually have the same problems with colds after getting together with the grand kids. They get sick and spread it around to anyone they can.

Karl - I am already getting tired of winter. Plowed the driveway for a couple of hours last week with temps just above the zero mark. Is it summer yet ???

Joe - The government is here to help you.

1717201227_1446199872105807_429342018238325789_n.jpg

Here's a rail photo for today.

1b1faf5fac0eca5bc9acc9f3975d3774.jpg

Later

Good morning everyone. 17 and cloudy here in SW MO. Will warm into upper 20's today. Snow predicted for Saturday, and 0 degrees Sunday night. I suppose Chet would call this downright balmy, but I'd call it a bit nippy.

Spent yesterday afternoon taking up carpet and tack strips in a bathroom we're remodeling. Can't count the number of tack-hits I sustained. Also got some more scenery done on the layout and moving forward on MR-V - I hope to have the structure done and on the layout within a week. Ran out of ballast and ran to LHS to get more but bought wrong shade of gray (only one he had). Now have to wait for another MBKlein order.

Earlier this year our daughter, SIL, and granddaughter visited his family in upstate NY. They were out driving one day and saw the Adirondack Scenic Railway and snapped this photo of it. They enlarged it and mounted it as a Christmas gift to me. I'll build a frame for it and then hang it in the trainroom.

Adirondack Scenic Railway photo.jpg

All - Meant to add these comments on others' posts - Hit "Post" too soon.

Flip - "growing old" - yeah, if it isn't the mind, it's the body - and sometimes both!
Terry - Yeah, get that BP issue taken care of STAT!

Have a great day everyone.

Good Morning: 35* at the moment - going up to a very nice 84* today! I'll say a prayer for the rest of you.

Willie - ypu are almost up to me with the miles driven in the last few days. We parked in the driveway at 7:50PM after a 3 hour,35 min 115 mile return trip. Don't understand - the traffic seems to have doubled over the past few years even with the added lanes everywhere.

CHET - forget to plug in the heater? Holy Cold, Batman! I have been meaning to ask you if you have "block heaters" on your vehicles?

Back in a jiffy!

Sherrel - In the shop we have a natural gas heater that heats the whole shop. The shop is build into a hill side so it is really not hard to keep warm if you think ahead. I have just been so busy that it totally slipped my mind. Thought I did, but didn't. As far as block heaters, I do have them on a couple of our vehicles, but not all of them. I should have them in out daily drivers, but those are the ones that I have procrastinated on. Even with some heat, that diesel engine will be a bear start in the skid steer.

Hello everybody.

More zero degree weather during our visit in Michigan.

Terry. ... high B P can explain headaches . Doctors should be able to identify the cause and also correct it. Praying you will be okay.

Chet. .. I reciognize the staged train wreck from a movie. I think it was “The Fugitive “. ... Remarkable you have natural gas in the country. We have propane heat .

Justin. .. that is a big bucket loader.

Joe ... I like the photo. The EL color scheme was one of the better ones for eastern railroads. Too many engines in the east were painted black.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet - Put my first block heater on my p/u when I lived in NW Jersey - it was a godsend during a cold like now.
When we moved back to KC - I put one in the car too! It was so nice to get into a warm car as soon as the engine was started.
Later on they were salvation in the Western monthians of Colorado with the snowfall thatequals yours!

Garry - Correct on the train wreck. I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up.

On the natural gas, the utility company was putting a gas line down the next lane west of us years ago and I asked if they had plans on running them down our lane and the supervisor said that they couldn't get permits from the county as it would have to cross an irrigation ditch. They could run it across a pasture, but would need permission. They got it on the spot. We were all electric until then. We were burning wood and then installed a pellet stove. Shortly after that, the price of pellets went from $35 a ton up to $125 a ton. We replaced the pellet stove with a gas stove when we got gas. We also got rid of the old electric water heater and put in a Rennai tankless water heater. That cut our electric bill by over a third. Then my wife finally got her gas range after 40 years when we were renovating the kitchen.

Just got back from plowing out our driveway with the shop plow truck. Now I have enough room in the drive. Widened it by about 7 feet. Heard an updated forecast with predictions of 18 to 24 inches by late Saturday and then the bottom is supposed to drop out of the thermometer.

Sherrel
- On the block heater, I was going to put one in but when I went to the parts store, four different ones, they were out and I never followed up. both cars start easily at minus 30.

Terry - Sure hope that you get the BP and the Headaches under control. Watch out for the cold - don't let it get you down.
Even when I was a youngster, my Mom would stick a spoonful of whisky with lemon and sugar into my mouth at the first sign of a runny nose or a cough. Other than an occasional eggnog - neither of my parents drank but she always had a bottle on hand.

CURT, Sure very sad to hear of you losing your little fur baby. I always enjoy seeing the photos you post of them.

Johnny -- That's a really nice picture that you have there. Nice paint work on it.

&@@#%&)%%$, #@$%^^^, @@#$%!^.
I hate this fricken commute.
Some joke for a sac of human guts got in a shoot out with the state police this afternoon on I-95 and it shut down the north bound lane of I-95 in Stafford County, VA for who knows how long. Yeah, holiday traffic. So it all pours out onto the surrounding highways and backways.
It took me over 2 hours to get home this afternoon.
Then ya mix in the farmer dumb head who is going to go extra slow today as he drives down the single lane highway at 15 mph. When he gets to where the highway opens up to two lanes, he picks up speed to the speed limit then wonders why every other person who passes him tries to run him into the ditch.
#@@#$%@@#.
I'm gonna go downstairs and run some trains, real fast.

Howdy crew,

I also have been dealing with these temps that have been abnormally cold for my state. Last night in the trainroom, I took the window-mounted heat pump offline and plugged-in the heavy duty portable electric heater. I do this anytime the outside temperature gets close to single digits, ever since the time I heard the heat pump make a hideous screeching noise while the temp was 6*F during the winter of 2014. I thought it had died, but apparently I caught it just in time before any permanent damage was done. Even though the heater may be an energy hog, it beats having to buy a new heat pump.

Speaking of CRS, I asked SWMBO if she had cut off the water to the outside spigots when she was winterizing her garden, and she said she "thought she did" but wasn't sure [Uh-oh...!] I ran downstairs and sure enough, the valves to the spigots were still open! I twisted them shut and ran outside to check the spigots, and they were already blocked with ice. Now I need to figure out a low-risk method to thaw them so I can drain out the remaining water before any pipes bust open.

Curt - condolences on the loss of your pet. BT/DT.

Terry - hope the doc can bring that BP under control ASAP!:eek:

Hafta run now, I'm still on the clock...later!

Ken - Send your wife out there with her hair dryer for a while. Grin.gif

We do have frost proof hydrants on all of out outdoor water, but we extended the front porch and I run a piece if three quarter inch hose to a spigot on the front of the porch and have to turn off the hose at the spigot and remove the hose from the frost free hydrant every fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chronicles of a diesel technician. Tuesday: five jump starts, two sets of batteries, and one down for emissions filter. Wednesday: one down for an injector. Another for a coolant surge tank and one for high pressure oil pump. Today: one that was down for coolant surge tank won't start suspect it's hydro locked(coolant is inside the cylinders). One for a fuel leak from a fuel line. Another for multiple coolant leaks and won't start. Thank God tomorrow is Friday!!!!

Justin

The Chronicles of a diesel technician. Tuesday: five jump starts, two sets of batteries, and one down for emissions filter. Wednesday: one down for an injector. Another for a coolant surge tank and one for high pressure oil pump. Today: one that was down for coolant surge tank won't start suspect it's hydro locked(coolant is inside the cylinders). One for a fuel leak from a fuel line. Another for multiple coolant leaks and won't start. Thank God tomorrow is Friday!!!!

Justin

You can take a brake and come get my skid steer started. Frozen harder than a carp. Hate diesels in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back