Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning to all you "frozen out, or frozen up" peeps! How are things in the diner this morning? Oh, I see we have a new head trying to getin on the donuts this morning! Welcome and greetings to ACL-CSX! Say, Flo, while your passing out the donuts - I'll have one with my coffee too.

PHIL - moving to Montana to warm up? That's rich!

I'm off to Wally World this morning - woke up with no puppy treats! They are sitting at my feet wondering what they have to do to get a treat? Spoiled little brats for sure - it's a routine we have as soon as I have my first cup of Joe!
Interesting thing about global warming -- every tree that is cut down, every new parking lot, every new house roof, every new stretch of concrete, and every added person born adds to the global warming. It's not just fossil fuels folks - It's EVERYTHING!

Just stating a fact - nothing political meant.... Oh supposed to reach 84 today .. yesterdays high was 85!
I'll make sure Flo brings your donut as long as you can send some of that global warming this way. Lol. It's not nearly as cold here as it is in a few spots I've seen mentioned today, but I have some vehicle maintenance to do today and laying on the ground in 30 degree weather isn't ideal.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Chet - glad you finally got the Bobcat started, your sure gonna need it!!:eek:

ACL-CSX: Welcome to the diner!

Sherrell - another thing to add to your list of causes, is cow flatulence [methane] from the pastures. That's why certain people are saying we all have to stop eating red meat!

According to USPS tracking, the Atlas Gold GP40 that I ordered is "out for delivery" - which hopefully means I'll be getting it today:cool: Gotta head out and fill my gas tank while the temperature is tolerable, then over to the house of daughter #1 to do my bi-daily treadmill run.

I'll make sure Flo brings your donut as long as you can send some of that global warming this way. Lol. It's not nearly as cold here as it is in a few spots I've seen mentioned today, but I have some vehicle maintenance to do today and laying on the ground in 30 degree weather isn't ideal.

I'll see if I can help you. Interesting about mechanics work. I decided to drag out the pressure washer and blow the dust off the vehicles and vacuum them out as well (hadn't done that in a while and my p/u gets tons of dog hair all over - so I backed up the vehicles in the drive, washed them down, and opened all the doors to vacuum ... guess what ... after having the radio blaring in the car for FIVE minutes ... it died - battery dead as could be! Still showed 12.3 volts but would not turn the engine over; showed lots of crud around the + terminal. Pulled the cable off, cleaned the cable and post good with a baking soda/water mixture, dried them good (didn;t take long with 9% humidity and 85 temp) and then sandpapered the cable and post real good and put the charger on the battery 10 amps -fast charge. Damn, I was working up a sweat on December 28th! Gotta remember that. Let the charger do its thing for a couple hours - started right up - then left the charger on 2 amp charge overnight.

Sakes alive - sure glad that did not happen while we were burning up the road with the prior two days driving .. we would have been in deep doo-doo! Looked at the battery - it's 4 years old, so now a replacement is coming down the pike before long.

ACL-CSX Welcome to the Diner. My in-laws are from Jacksonville,left many years ago. MOH born there. ACL is a funny first name- short for "AXEL" ???
Temp. here in mid Fla is 51* and my body does NOT like it.

Phil

I'll see if I can help you. Interesting about mechanics work. I decided to drag out the pressure washer and blow the dust off the vehicles and vacuum them out as well (hadn't done that in a while and my p/u gets tons of dog hair all over - so I backed up the vehicles in the drive, washed them down, and opened all the doors to vacuum ... guess what ... after having the radio blaring in the car for FIVE minutes ... it died - battery dead as could be! Still showed 12.3 volts but would not turn the engine over; showed lots of crud around the + terminal. Pulled the cable off, cleaned the cable and post good with a baking soda/water mixture, dried them good (didn;t take long with 9% humidity and 85 temp) and then sandpapered the cable and post real good and put the charger on the battery 10 amps -fast charge. Damn, I was working up a sweat on December 28th! Gotta remember that. Let the charger do its thing for a couple hours - started right up - then left the charger on 2 amp charge overnight.

Sakes alive - sure glad that did not happen while we were burning up the road with the prior two days driving .. we would have been in deep doo-doo! Looked at the battery - it's 4 years old, so now a replacement is coming down the pike before long.
That definitely would have been bad. I'm putting off a water pump and timing belt on my Honda. 85 degrees in December? That reminds me of my last winter in Florida in '98. It was 94 degrees in the middle of January. I don't remember the humidity that day, but it was up there. Felt like the surface of the sun that day.

Chet - glad you finally got the Bobcat started, your sure gonna need it!!:eek:

ACL-CSX: Welcome to the diner!

Sherrell - another thing to add to your list of causes, is cow flatulence [methane] from the pastures. That's why certain people are saying we all have to stop eating red meat!

According to USPS tracking, the Atlas Gold GP40 that I ordered is "out for delivery" - which hopefully means I'll be getting it today:cool: Gotta head out and fill my gas tank while the temperature is tolerable, then over to the house of daughter #1 to do my bi-daily treadmill run.
KEN - that is probably on ID10T Gov Brown's list to tax - stay tuned

Glad to see that your loco is near!

Guess I will try and finish the truck today - ran out of daylight yesterday!

Phil - No, not short for Axel. Short for Atlantic Coast Line. I'm terrible at making usernames usually, but wanted something that sounded railroady ( if that isn't a word, it is now) so I used the lines I plan to model through.

CSX - Wouldn't cow farts be a good reason to eat MORE red meat? By reducing the number of cows, you reduce the amount of methane produced.

And thanks to all for the welcome. The service was a little slow today (going to blame the cold weather) but the coffee and donut were good. Lol. And the conversation has been pleasant also.

Jesse

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 29.
Back from the doctor, where they decided I have a really bad cold, and prescribed lisenopril for blood pressure.

Good afternoon bnsf971. Sorry to hear about your cold. Those are never fun.

Howdy. ... a hot bowl of chili please. .. still visiting in cold Michigan.

ACL CSX. .. welcome to the coffee shop

Terry ... that is a common BP medication, and I hope it works well for you. You have mentioned you get bad headaches for a long time, and I hope this helps with that. Sorry you have a cold too .

Chet. ... regarding the staged train crash for “The Fugitive “. ... Terry mentioned the Smokey Mountain Railroad . We rode on that tourist train a few years ago, and that is why I remembered the staged wreck. ... there is a great Lionel museum next to the station for the tourist train.

It will be a few days before we get home.

Hi everyone. A little late checking in today - had breakfast over at son's house with his family, daughter and her family, and our son's best friend and their family up from Carrollton, TX (not far from you, Willie). 33 and cloudy here in SW MO - hey, they revised our forecast and we'll be down to -1 Sunday night and 0 Monday night!!

Chet - your winter wonderland photo looks awfully inviting - do enjoy it for me 'cause I'm staying here, even with 0 degree temps coming up.
Jesse - a bit late, but welcome to the forum. I'm a relative newbie here, about a year and a half into my first layout build, but the folks on this forum are great about giving advice, opinions (whether or not you ask for them), and fun conversation. Jacksonville, FL, huh? - I have a brother-in-law who lives in Lulu, not too far west of Jacksonville. We may go visit him next spring.
Terry - yeah, Lisinopril is one med I'm on, too. Hope it helps bring your BP under control.

A question for Willie and anyone else who cares to respond - those of you who draw your own traffic lines on roadways - what do you use to draw? I've looked everywhere for a white permanent marker, and so far the only thing I've come up with is something I found at OfficeDepot - it's almost like a grease pen, very waxy - seems to dry okay, but messy. Any ideas?

Have a good day everyone.

Hi everyone. A little late checking in today - had breakfast over at son's house with his family, daughter and her family, and our son's best friend and their family up from Carrollton, TX (not far from you, Willie). 33 and cloudy here in SW MO - hey, they revised our forecast and we'll be down to -1 Sunday night and 0 Monday night!!

Chet - your winter wonderland photo looks awfully inviting - do enjoy it for me 'cause I'm staying here, even with 0 degree temps coming up.
Jesse - a bit late, but welcome to the forum. I'm a relative newbie here, about a year and a half into my first layout build, but the folks on this forum are great about giving advice, opinions (whether or not you ask for them), and fun conversation. Jacksonville, FL, huh? - I have a brother-in-law who lives in Lulu, not too far west of Jacksonville. We may go visit him next spring.
Terry - yeah, Lisinopril is one med I'm on, too. Hope it helps bring your BP under control.

A question for Willie and anyone else who cares to respond - those of you who draw your own traffic lines on roadways - what do you use to draw? I've looked everywhere for a white permanent marker, and so far the only thing I've come up with is something I found at OfficeDepot - it's almost like a grease pen, very waxy - seems to dry okay, but messy. Any ideas?

Have a good day everyone.
Yes. I was born and raised there. Migrated to North Carolina after my parents split up and dad passed away. Then I stayed when Mom and my step dad moved back. Got married and settled in Lancaster, SC. Advice and opinions are fine (even if unsolicited, lol) that's why I'm here. And to share what I enjoy. There are so few people and places in my area that do, so it's hard to really get the most out of it. I've started a thread in the project room with some ideas I'm tossing around if you want to check them out.

Also in the welcome section I have a post with a little background on my future plans for the road.

Johnny - I have found a fine tip permanent marker in white that I will be using for street striping. Think I got it at Michaels.

Jfjrjfjfjchdndjtktmykxndbshxjfnfncj!!!
Maybe. Just maybe if I take a deep breath and remind myself that today is Friday I'll be ok. Thank God I go back to my shift next week!

Justin

I don't want to talk about next week. I will have been off work for 11 days by the time I go back on Tuesday and I already know that the bosses are going to try to kill us. We have an important customer that has multiple property inspections on Wednesday the 3rd and we have to hit them all on Tuesday. Not going to be a fun day.

Jesse

Good afternoon. We have a sunny 23° at the Jersey Shore...wonder if any of the surfers are out? Happy Friday. y'all.

Jesse, (ACL-CSX): Welcome to the group. Are you planning a contemporary layout or a blast from the past?

Terry: Lisinopril, is an ACE Inhibitor, similar to Fosinopril, which is what I take without ill effects. Also used as a treatment for Heart Failure, BTW.
Since I began taking this in addition to Amlodipine, my BP has been under control and I rarely get headaches. Hope it works for you. Hope you get over the cold quickly.

Last Monday, in Upstate NY.

White Christmas 2017.jpg

Expecting a coating to an inch of snow here overnight, and there is PANIC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon. We have a sunny 23° at the Jersey Shore...wonder if any of the surfers are out? Happy Friday. y'all.

Jesse, (ACL-CSX): Welcome to the group. Are you planning a contemporary layout or a blast from the past?

Terry: Lisinopril, is an ACE Inhibitor, similar to Fosinopril, which is what I take without ill effects. Also used as a treatment for Heart Failure, BTW.
Since I began taking this in addition to Amlodipine, my BP has been under control and I rarely get headaches. Hope it works for you. Hope you get over the cold quickly.

Last Monday, in Upstate NY.

View attachment 64539

Expecting a coating to an inch of snow here overnight, and there is PANIC.
I'm planning a mid to late 70s layout. Matches the period that my loco (an EMD GP40) was in operation as well as the the time frame that so many of my favorite cars were prevalent on the streets of any town in America. I'm having to rely rely solely on research for pictures of buildings and such since I wasn't even alive then. As amazing as Google is, it can be difficult to pin down accurate searches for the correct reference material.

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back