Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both guys were seasoned modelers with 40+ years of mrr experience, with their own DCC-equipped home layouts. But neither of them were NCE users.

Yeah, maybe I should silence it completely.:rolleyes: Of course, now that I know exactly what causes the noise, fixing it will be as simple as pressing F4 - a second time.

Thinking on that a bit more. I believe F4 is the dynamic breaking.

Good morning, and happy Boxing Day. It's cloudy and 27.

KEN: You can lower the volume of the fan using your DCC system. Set cv32 to 1, then the cv for fans or dynamic brakes to around 20 or so.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I have a Lokprogrammer, and can change the sound levels, or remap functions to whatever F key you'd like, just let me know.

Good Morning All. 38° and cloudy around here. Temperature isn't supposed to change from this at all until sunset. Slight chance of rain all day, but right now it's scattered and 300 miles away. Spent the entire day yesterday in the suburbs of Dallas, primarily at either of my daughters (and grandkids) homes. Started the day with Taylor Ham, waffles and mimosas for breakfast, then opened presents with the grandkids and their parents. Moved over to the other daughters home for prime rib dinner later. I made a few side trips to visit friends in the area in between. A good time was had by all. Took about 25 minutes to rewarm the house (from 67°) when we got home, as I only put in about a ten-hour supply of wood in the wood-burning heater when I left...for thirteen hours. Plenty of coals so I didn't have to start from scratch.
Really didn't make out too well trainwise with gifts, I think my wife secretly told the kids NONE! I do need some lumber however, so the Home Depot gift cards will come in handy. I do miss the train shed!

Terry - Thanks for the idea regarding candy and soda; it worked here too!
Garry - Stay safe in your travels.
Joe - Have a safe trip as well.
Justin - Stay warm while you wait.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, and happy Boxing Day. It's cloudy and 27.

KEN: You can lower the volume of the fan using your DCC system. Set cv32 to 1, then the cv for fans or dynamic brakes to around 20 or so.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I have a Lokprogrammer, and can change the sound levels, or remap functions to whatever F key you'd like, just let me know.

Terry - Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I do have DecoderPro which seems to handle most of the settings.

However, I do have a separate tech question for you: I'm thinking of buying an Atlas Master DCC/Sound-equipped GP40 from what I believe is an earlier run, i.e., before Atlas started using LokSound decoders in their products. Would it be possible for me to easily swap out the original decoder with a LokSound - or would I have to hard-wire it?

Good morning. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. We're starting the day off with a goose egg (0) in the thermometer. Starting to get tired of snow, but this is the way winter were years ago. Truckdad posted a photo of a big snowblower yesterday which is a bit ironic because I managed to find a good deal on a walk behind snowblower at Sears. AN electric start 2 stage blower with a 24" auger. I can use this to widen my driveway by running along the edge and clearing away the snow that has been plowed to the edger. These machines were running between $900 and $1,400 but this was on a special and the $949 unit was down to $600 for the holidays. I have my skid steer out in the shop, but there is iver three feet of snow that would have to be dug out to even get to the road.

Ken - I picked up the Atlas Gold RS-1 with LocSound and really like it. It wasn't cheap, but knowing nothing at all about DCC, I am pleased with it. I have learned how to program the locomotive to the road number but that's my limit of knowledge about DCC. I did have an issue with it at first, but do enjoy running it at the club. Visitors do enjoy the sounds.

Talking about the club, I haven't been able to get over there for ovr a month because of the crappy roads. Don't care to go over that pass on icy and snow covered roads at night.

Louis - Nice to see you chiming in. I'm sure that you have been run ragged with all of the Christmas packages.

I think this forum is fantastic as there have been so many DCC problems solved with the help of other members. Not only DCC problems, but advice on so many other model railroad issues. Sure with it would have been available 30 years ago when I started my layout. I had to learn the hard way in the school of hard knocks.

Garry - Be safe on your trip, not the best time of year to be out on the highways.

Here's a rail photo for the day from West Virginia.

VIEW_OF_MINERS'_HOMES_IN_A_COAL_COMPANY_TOWN_NEAR_LOGAN_WEST_VIRGINIA._NEXT_TO_THE_RAILROAD_TRAC.jpg

Later

Good morning. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. We're starting the day off with a goose egg (0) in the thermometer. Starting to get tired of snow, but this is the way winter were years ago. Truckdad posted a photo of a big snowblower yesterday which is a bit ironic because I managed to find a good deal on a walk behind snowblower at Sears. AN electric start 2 stage blower with a 24" auger. I can use this to widen my driveway by running along the edge and clearing away the snow that has been plowed to the edger. These machines were running between $900 and $1,400 but this was on a special and the $949 unit was down to $600 for the holidays. I have my skid steer out in the shop, but there is iver three feet of snow that would have to be dug out to even get to the road.

Ken - I picked up the Atlas Gold RS-1 with LocSound and really like it. It wasn't cheap, but knowing nothing at all about DCC, I am pleased with it. I have learned how to program the locomotive to the road number but that's my limit of knowledge about DCC. I did have an issue with it at first, but do enjoy running it at the club. Visitors do enjoy the sounds.

Talking about the club, I haven't been able to get over there for ovr a month because of the crappy roads. Don't care to go over that pass on icy and snow covered roads at night.

Louis - Nice to see you chiming in. I'm sure that you have been run ragged with all of the Christmas packages.

I think this forum is fantastic as there have been so many DCC problems solved with the help of other members. Not only DCC problems, but advice on so many other model railroad issues. Sure with it would have been available 30 years ago when I started my layout. I had to learn the hard way in the school of hard knocks.

Garry - Be safe on your trip, not the best time of year to be out on the highways.

Here's a rail photo for the day from West Virginia.

View attachment 64299

Later
You would be surprised how much these coal camps still look the same here in West Virginia. Maybe not all up on the tracks like that but full little neighborhoods with alike houses located close to active and inactive tracks.

Justin

Glad to see so many had a good CHRISTMAS day with family and friends.
Still having minor problems with 'puker but think I've solved problem with meds.
Prayers and best wishes for all.
Phil.

Happy Holidays to all and I hope Santa Claus was good to everyone. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm still around and kicking. Although I'm fighting a bad cold,:(. Also I have spoken to CJ Cresent,and he's doing pretty good. Still has a few medical issues,but nothing too serious. I have added a few new locos to the fleet including one Southern GP-7 with sound. Number #2067. Anyway,I'm okay,except for my cold,yuck.:( Take care gang. William.

Hey Phil and William, it's great to hear from both of you. We have all missed both of you. I am still getting your E-Mails Phil. Hopefully you'll both get over your colds soon with no other issues. Thanks also for the update on Carey. I do miss his extensive knowledge here. Try not to be strangers here.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both.

Willie

Terry - Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I do have DecoderPro which seems to handle most of the settings.

However, I do have a separate tech question for you: I'm thinking of buying an Atlas Master DCC/Sound-equipped GP40 from what I believe is an earlier run, i.e., before Atlas started using LokSound decoders in their products. Would it be possible for me to easily swap out the original decoder with a LokSound - or would I have to hard-wire it?
Yes, you'd need to hard wire. I'd probably go for the Select PNP, it's a lot easier to deal with. I recently installed a Soundtraxx Econami PNP in an Atlas Gold (QSI) engine, and I was done in 20 minutes. While the decoders are different, the connections are virtually identical.

William - Nice to see you in here and for the information about Carey. I have been a bit concerned about him. Sent some emails but no responses.

Ken,
I have a Lokprogrammer too, , alot closer than Terry! ;)

Yes, you'd need to hard wire. I'd probably go for the Select PNP, it's a lot easier to deal with. I recently installed a Soundtraxx Econami PNP in an Atlas Gold (QSI) engine, and I was done in 20 minutes. While the decoders are different, the connections are virtually identical.

Thanks Terry, that's what I was afraid of...! My problem isn't with soldering wires, but trying to put the body shell back on over the tangled mess!:eek:

I'm going to do some online searching to see how the Econami measures up against the Loksound Select. But so far, the only one I've heard that even comes close to sounding like a EMD 645-Turbo
is the ESU. Everything else, all I ever hear is the whine of the turbocharger - no exhaust.

Karl, expect a visit from me within the next 10 days...

Good afternoon everyone....still around zero here in Wisconsin.

Ran the trains for an hour or so on X-mas for our guests and no derailments and everything work as planned. Everyone gave me $$$ for X-mas for train purchases. I want a RS -1 North pacific locomotive with sound, similar to Chet's locomotive, but with close to 90 locomotives I don't need any more! Love the Pacific's color theme, but if I remember correctly the Northern Pacific just touched the eastern edge of Minnesota. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Down to the trains and practice shooting movies with my newer camera.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas Holiday.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, The Northern Pacific barely got into the northwestern part of Wisconsin. When we took the North Coast Limited, we would change to the Milwaukee Road in the twin cities and ride the Hiawatha into Chicago to transfer to the South Shore Line into Indiana. Minneapolis was just about as far east as the NP went.

Today was a slow day at work. Most of my team was on leave so I spent most of the day just reviewing documents and the upcoming schedule.
Late in the afternoon I was wrapping things up and I thought, "I think I'll go see the movie Star Wars".
I checked on line and it is only showing at one of the three theaters in town. 3:30 show time. Traffic check, dang, normal trip to the mall would take 20 minutes. Traffic reports are saying it's a 110 minute trip. Ok, I've got 1 hour 15 minutes. I can take the back roads to get around most of it. Made it to the mall in a little over an hour, but got into the mall parking area and then it hit me. School is out for the week and its the day after Christmas. The unwashed masses are at the mall exchanging their gifts for the cash and going to the theater. Typically, on a big shopping day, cars are filling the parking spaces about 2/3 of the way out from the front of the mall. Today, cars were filling the rows all the way out to the perimeter road and cars were circling looking for parking spaces. Forget the theater. You couldn't find a spot within 1/2 mile of that. Cars were parked on the grass along the perimeter road over there. It took me 10 minutes just to get back out of the mall parking area.
Guess I'll go downstairs and do some more prep for this weekends op session.

The time to go and see those sorts of movies is near the end of their run in the theatre. But then, you have to be careful you don't miss it altogether.

I'm sort of old-fashioned--kind of. If there is a movie I want to see, I'll either wait for it to come out on one of the streaming services I subscribe to, or buy the dvd. I'll only buy the blue ray if it's the same price as the dvd. A dvd usually costs less than a single movie ticket, and the popcorn is cheaper at home, and usually tastes better, too.

Haven't been to a movie in over 25 years. DVD is the way to go. No noisy patrons,control of sound level, etc. Can pause for potty break or whatever else is needed.

Phil

Haven't been to a movie in over 25 years. DVD is the way to go. No noisy patrons,control of sound level, etc. Can pause for potty break or whatever else is needed.

Phil

Ditto all that Phil. Plus I can make my popcorn float in butter if I want.
Well I can't eat anymore so that's moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back