Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Terry, that's what I was afraid of...! My problem isn't with soldering wires, but trying to put the body shell back on over the tangled mess!:eek:

I'm going to do some online searching to see how the Econami measures up against the Loksound Select. But so far, the only one I've heard that even comes close to sounding like a EMD 645-Turbo
is the ESU. Everything else, all I ever hear is the whine of the turbocharger - no exhaust.

Karl, expect a visit from me within the next 10 days...

Well, I contacted the seller and guess what? It already has an ESU LokSound in it!:cool: Should be arriving here by Saturday 12/30...

Good evening, y'all. 18° with some clouds. Seem to have brought the cold home with me. The visit went well, and I had the pleasure of assembling a rather large toy, and a hockey net for my two future Hall of Famers. Also assembled two street hockey sticks and tried to teach puck control to a two+ future Mite on Ice, who is more intent on slashing and spearing. Next project, a penalty box. Santa brought me a 65' Mill gond and a Moloco scrap load, plus some clothing items.

When we left the sky was clear, and the sun shining. A little south of Adams on I-81, we ran into a a lake effect whiteout, that virtually eliminated any visibility. I went into 4wd mode, turned on the hazard flashers and crept along looking for obstacles. I was able to tell the limits of the road because of the plowed snow banks, and road signs, but otherwise...I finally came up behind a Gasoline truck, which was the perfect vehicle to follow. Stayed on his tail until the snow let up around Pulaski. Have not been out in anything quite like that in a good while. The F-150 did very well, and was very stable.
Once we were south of Pulaski, it was bright sunlight and clear skies all the way. Including a pit stop for gas and food, and stopping to pick up the Kitty at the vets, the whole trip was a little under 7 hours.
Only down side, there were some very bad drivers, mostly on the PA turnpike, and a few near misses. Obviously, there were not many cops out, 1 in NY, around Syracuse, and two in PA around Wyoming.
It's scary how whiteout conditions distort depth perception, and distance. I'm really happy that I took the truck, instead of the Caddie.

Needless to say, tonight, I'll have a double brandy, and turn in early. Tomorrow, I need to wash the salt and grime off the truck. Might have to go through twice. Then we need groceries. Wow, the years almost done. Happy to see some familiar names mentioned. Will catch up tomorrow.

Here in FLA. it's against the law to drive with the flashers on. Points and a ticket.

Phil

That was--interesting.
Yesterday, I performed a search on Ebay, similar to searches I have performed hundreds of times before. I didn't see anything I couldn't live without, so I moved on about my business.
This morning, I had an email from Ebay, providing me links to hundreds of auctions based on my search. It looks like Ebay automatically saved the search, and was emailing notifications for the search.
So, if you suddenly start getting emails like that, go to your "my Ebay", click "saved searches", find the saved search, and click "delete search". Confirm the deletion, and it should go away.

Other than that, it's cloudy and 29.

Well, I contacted the seller and guess what? It already has an ESU LokSound in it!:cool: Should be arriving here by Saturday 12/30...
It will be interesting to see if it's one I put a decoder in. I've sold several, one of them a Conrail GP40.

Good morning Engineers & Switchmen,

Hi Flo, Francine, Did you both have a good Christmas, you sure were kept busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner for long enough.

> 41°F Wells rd Station Report
1:03 AM PST on December 27, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 39°F
39°F - Feels like 39°F, Clear skys;
Wind is at 0.00 from the NE;
Humidity is at 82%;
Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.

Santa brought me a 65' Mill gondola and a Moloco scrap load, plus some clothing items.

When we left the sky was clear, and the sun shining. A little south of Adams on I-81, we ran into a a lake effect whiteout, that virtually eliminated any visibility. I went into 4wd mode, turned on the hazard flashers and crept along looking for obstacles. I was able to tell the limits of the road because of the plowed snow banks, and road signs, but otherwise...I finally came up behind a Gasoline truck, which was the perfect vehicle to follow. Stayed on his tail until the snow let up around Pulaski. Have not been out in anything quite like that in a good while. The F-150 did very well, and was very stable.
Once we were south of Pulaski, it was bright sunlight and clear skies all the way. Including a pit stop for gas and food, and stopping to pick up the Kitty at the vets, the whole trip was a little under 7 hours.
Only down side, there were some very bad drivers, mostly on the PA turnpike, and a few near misses. Obviously, there were not many cops out, 1 in NY, around Syracuse, and two in PA around Wyoming.
It's scary how whiteout conditions distort depth perception, and distance. I'm really happy that I took the truck, instead of the Caddie.

Needless to say, tonight, I'll have a double brandy, and turn in early. Tomorrow, I need to wash the salt and grime off the truck. Might have to go through twice. Then we need groceries. Wow, the years almost done. Happy to see some familiar names mentioned. Will catch up tomorrow.

Joe: Driving in White Out conditions was very anxiety producing to say the least I'm sure! Glad you made it trough safe. Having the Gas truck to follow was definitely a help I'm sure. I've never driven in snow like that even when I was in Mass during the winter months, but out here in my area I have driven in extremely dense fog where I couldn't hardly see beyond the front of the car and was just barely moving along. It was rather an eerie feeling as I lost all sense of perspective of where I was. If it wasn't for the white line down the center of the road, which I clung to, I probably would have gone off the two lane country road. It took me forever to travel about half a mile Your situation sounds just about as bad?

Good afternoon everyone....still around zero here in Wisconsin.

Ran the trains for an hour or so on X-mas for our guests and no derailments and everything work as planned. Everyone gave me $$$ for X-mas for train purchases. I want a RS -1 North pacific locomotive with sound, similar to Chet's locomotive, but with close to 90 locomotives I don't need any more! Love the Pacific's color theme, but if I remember correctly the Northern Pacific just touched the eastern edge of Minnesota. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Down to the trains and practice shooting movies with my newer camera.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas Holiday.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg: Even if the NP didn't go too far into Minnesota, that's where modelers license comes into play.

Today was a slow day at work. Most of my team was on leave so I spent most of the day just reviewing documents and the upcoming schedule.
Late in the afternoon I was wrapping things up and I thought, "I think I'll go see the movie Star Wars".
I checked on line and it is only showing at one of the three theaters in town. 3:30 show time. Traffic check, dang, normal trip to the mall would take 20 minutes. Traffic reports are saying it's a 110 minute trip. Ok, I've got 1 hour 15 minutes. I can take the back roads to get around most of it. Made it to the mall in a little over an hour, but got into the mall parking area and then it hit me. School is out for the week and its the day after Christmas. The unwashed masses are at the mall exchanging their gifts for the cash and going to the theater. Typically, on a big shopping day, cars are filling the parking spaces about 2/3 of the way out from the front of the mall. Today, cars were filling the rows all the way out to the perimeter road and cars were circling looking for parking spaces. Forget the theater. You couldn't find a spot within 1/2 mile of that. Cars were parked on the grass along the perimeter road over there. It took me 10 minutes just to get back out of the mall parking area.
Guess I'll go downstairs and do some more prep for this weekends op session.

Ken D&J: Sometimes, there's No Place Like Home!

Haven't been to a movie in over 25 years. DVD is the way to go. No noisy patrons,control of sound level, etc. Can pause for potty break or whatever else is needed.

Phil

Phil: Good to see you back on the forums, hope you get to feeling even a lot better yet.

Well I'm tired and need to get to sleep at 3:20 Am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. I received another Christmas gift yesterday. My wife subscribed me to model railroader magazine. I haven't had a subscription to them in a few years now. Was a surprise to me.

Justin

That was--interesting.
Yesterday, I performed a search on Ebay, similar to searches I have performed hundreds of times before. I didn't see anything I couldn't live without, so I moved on about my business.
This morning, I had an email from Ebay, providing me links to hundreds of auctions based on my search. It looks like Ebay automatically saved the search, and was emailing notifications for the search.
So, if you suddenly start getting emails like that, go to your "my Ebay", click "saved searches", find the saved search, and click "delete search". Confirm the deletion, and it should go away.

Other than that, it's cloudy and 29.

That is so aggravating. Ya search for something on line, ya find it and place an order for it, then ya start getting a lot of pop up ads for the darn thing. Like I might want to buy more of them.

Good Morning Everyone. 33° here and cloudy; Weather Underground is reporting 27° just 1.5 miles south of here, but the cat's water bowl on the back porch is just water with no surface ice. Amazing what a difference that is. After a day off yesterday, we're going to my in-laws Christmas gathering today. Not going to be a big deal since many folks have to work. I'm ready to get back to a semi-normal schedule!
I returned to the train shed yesterday and assembled the Miller Engineering animated neon sign that I received for Christmas. Worked as soon as I turned it on. Yeah! It is a "JESUS SAVES" sign designed to go on a building. I have a structure that resembles a rescue mission that I am going to add it to, I will have to remove the current signage first. I always wanted to get one of these Miller Engineering kits, but never justified the cost to myself. I intend to change it from battery power as soon as I decide where the structure will finally reside; it's currently in a rather large swath of plywood alongside the track with about a dozen other currently orphaned buildings. I actually found that I have a wall-wart power source of 4.5 v that will work. Did a little more assembly of the DPM modular wall structure that I am assembling...too soon for a picture, maybe I'll remember later.

Chet - Really liked yesterday's photo of the RR in W VA.
Joe - Scary sounding trip! Not like driving a diesel where you don't have to be concerned where the tracks are. Glad that you are safely home. Don't think that the bad drivers are all up your way, we have plenty here even without snow and ice.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Here in FLA. it's against the law to drive with the flashers on. Points and a ticket.

Phil

Phil: Sometimes I think everything is illegal in Florida :rolleyes: Just like Jersey, where it's illegal to pump one's own gas at a gas station. Then again, there are no whiteout blizzards in Florida either. :rolleyes:.

Joe: Driving in White Out conditions was very anxiety producing to say the least I'm sure! Glad you made it trough safe. Having the Gas truck to follow was definitely a help I'm sure. I've never driven in snow like that even when I was in Mass during the winter months, but out here in my area I have driven in extremely dense fog where I couldn't hardly see beyond the front of the car and was just barely moving along. It was rather an eerie feeling as I lost all sense of perspective of where I was. If it wasn't for the white line down the center of the road, which I clung to, I probably would have gone off the two lane country road. It took me forever to travel about half a mile Your situation sounds just about as bad?

David: I have also driven in dense fog. The difference is that as you pointed out, in fog, you can see the lines in the road. In snow, you can't.

Good morning. Heat wave with the morning temp at 16 degrees. Unfortunately there is more snow in our forecast. Just got an email that the snowblower I ordered was shipped. Hope it gets here soon. This is what my driveway currently looks like, about 6 to 7 feer narrower that I usually keep it. I like to have room at the edges to plow th snow. Not there.

20171226_160712.jpg

Ken in MD - Looks like you got a deal there. Everything you wanted.

Joe - I can feel your pain driving in conditions like that. Out here they have a rumble strip at the edge of the road just outside the fog line and also down the road centerline. I can remember quite a few trips groping down the highway between the rumble strips. Nothing like driving the braille method.

Phil - Nice to see you in here this morning. I'm with Joe, under extreme conditions like he had, I don't thing athere's a cop in the world that would stop him. Better than having to handle a wreck in a blizzard.

Justin - Enjoy your subscription to Model Railroader.

Ken D&J - I think pop ups are my least favorite part about the internet. Don't think I have ever gone to one.

Movies ? I haven't been to a theater in probably 25 years ort more. I'm sort of like Terry. I'll wait for them to come on Direct TV. I can enjoy a lot less expensive refreshments and sit around in my shorts if I want and not have the people in the theater distracting me from the movie. We did watch Dunkirk the other day. Excellent movie as I am a WWII buff.

Willie - I have been looking at those animated signs trying to find one that would be appropriate for my area and time period.

Here's a rail picture for today.

o-BABY-TRAIN-TRACKS-facebook.jpg

Later

Good morning! 18° and cloudy.

Willie: Normally, when we make these trips, we share the road with professional drivers, i.e.. truckers, commuters, and road warriors. Yesterday, was amateur day, with the millennials showing off their short attention spans. Running a locomotive in dense snow or fog is extremely stressful, because you cannot see landmarks, and signals until you are on top of them.

Morning Everyone ... 33* heading towards a 79* high! Clear - No clouds in sight.

Coming home yesterday I played dodge-a-car on the freeways yesterday. I'm crusing along at 80 and several flew by me like I was parked! Five miles down the road and the four lanes of traffic was reduced to about a fast walk - then all at once- bang! Back to 80 again -- all for no reason - can't figure it out. It's like a rubber band back and forth.

All had a nice Christmas - I even got a few tools for my RR project. Daughter who had the surgery a few weeks ago for the scar tissue is really having a tough time recovering. Lots of pain and she cannot stand straight - looks like the hunchback of Notre Dame trying to walk around. Today we have to play dodge-a-car again - 110 miles up to a funeral clear on the other side of L.A. - 110 miles back to one of the wifes distant relatives who recently passed at 96 years. There will be 3 cars (12 folks) going from here; wife told me that I did not need to go, but I would feel bad if I did not. We will leave here in a couple hours and with the traffic it will probably be getting dark by the time we get back.

Santa has ordered power for his return to the North:
courtsy of my friend Tom Holly.

santa helpers.JPG

Good morning everyone. 13 and sunny outside. Will hit ZERO degrees this weekend, and that's NOT the wind chill. Had snow this past Saturday, but it's mostly melted. More predicted for this coming weekend. Don't worry about closing the south door, Chet - the whole Canadian border's open!!;)

Been away the forum since last week - missed everyone. Will catch up on all the posts later.

Hope you all had a great Christmas. We had kids and grandkids over for Christmas morning breakfast, a fantastic casserole my wife makes. Then our traditional reading of Luke 2:1-20. then the opening of presents!! I got several things for the layout, including a mounted photo enlargement of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad that my daughter took last time they were in upstate NY. I'll see if she can send me the original photo so I can post it later.

I've got the week off. Nice, sleeping to 7 in the morning!!

Have a good day everyone.

Hello everybody... looks like each of you had a nice Christmas except for winter weather.

We drove to Ohio Christmas day and then to Michigan yesterday. It got colder as we went. This morning in Michigan it was zero F when we got up.

It will be awhile before I’m on the computer. . On iPhone now.

Cheers

Just dug out my snow plow. Overall length 5 1/2" ,weighs hair over 1 oz. B&M 098 blue body- grey plow with silver headlight.Rivarossi -1943 on bottom of the car, 1944 on the plow. Think those are just model numbers not when built. Looks like the photo of that prototype.

Phil
OOPS- Wrong diner. Push plow post on other forum. DAMN, it's hell getting old.
Altho it does beat the alternative. lol

Afternoon All,

Yesterday was not a good day. Our eldest skunk passed away. At least both my wife and myself were able to hold and comfort her before she passed. Needless to say I didn't feel like posting after that. She was 11 years old which is quite old for them. In the wild they only usually live to be 3-4 years old.

Today I had my VA Ultrasound. I got there 40 minutes early (light traffic) and was walking out 15 minutes before my scheduled time. More great service from the Orlando VA.

After getting home I started packing up some of the Christmas stuff. MOH believes it is bad luck keeping the Christmas stuff up into the new year. I figure pack some everyday until it's put away.

I opened up my first Christmas kit today. It is a Monster Modelworks Water Pumping Station, it's a laser cut kit but the walls have "bricks" cut into them. It looks like a really nice higher end kit. It has 1/8" thick walls instead of the normal 1/16" or 1/32" thickness. It also has very detailed directions for building and painting..9 pages worth:p. I'll actually start construction tomorrow. Today I looked at the parts and read the directions 2 times.

To everyone driving in all the nastiness up north please be safe.

Ken- Sounds like a Christmas Miracle.

Joe/Garry- I'm glad you made you're trips OK.

Chet- That is why FL is packed with people and MT isn't:cool:. Great track photos.

This is a photo of the photo of the structure

20171227_132734.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt.
Sorry to hear of the skunks passing. It always amazes me how the lil furballs become "kids". My condolences to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back