Not open for further replies.
Well, this is what a "light dusting" of snow looks like:

Attachments

• 25073205_1610720765640668_4064085280824334704_o.jpg
    25073205_1610720765640668_4064085280824334704_o.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 126
Where's the FNG?
Still eat up with the shingles?
I had my fill of other ailments thank you.

Wow ..... I'm just full of excitement.
Major snow lightening here. Since the power was out for so long I thought it was transformers blowing up.
Some might have been but it's definitely throwing down some lightening.
Fairly rare weather event. I've been through more tornados than snow lightening.

Dam I wish I could eat!!
Big Bang Theory re-run is on and Sheldon's Mom is busting out a fried chicken supper.
I make killer friend chicken and gravy.

Unbelievable!!!!! The power went out twice while writing this post.
Perhaps I should quit for now huh.

Sadly I am still having some effects. It's going down on a less than 1% grade and real slow to boot. JUST when I'm thinking it's all done and gone BANG, 1:30 in the morning my eyes POP open cause it feels like I'm being stabby, stab, stabbed along the ribs over my heart. Real happy joy action mode action.

Not goin to chuck the layout, as a matter of fact the redesign concepts are coming along quite nicely. This go round will have a "high" side and a "low" side. I'm going UP about two feet on the sump end and bring em all down to that 4 track horseshoe I showed a while back on the other end. Scenery at last is in the mix of this planning session, a road net to go with the tracks, houses, industries and suchlike. Bout time eh?

Pleased beyond expression you have come through the rough patch only slightly worse for wear.

I'll say it this way...VERY CHRISTMAS everybody!

Wow. My little buddy is home without power for a number of hours now.
Said if power isn't back on tomorrow, he's walking over to charge his phone.
He said he's sitting out in the truck drinking beers and listening to the radio.
time for bed......

Hmmmmm, there was supposed to be about 4" of snow here this morning. Wet pavement and grassy grass. I almost feel cheated.
I'm goin to meet with the guys for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Fredericksburg then up to the train show at the Eagles lodge. Depending on how I feel about it, I might go on up to the club layout in Quantico and run trains for a couple hours to help out with the open house. We're open every weekend of December vs. the first Saturday on the month the rest of the year. Last weekend, we had about 90 visitors.

Ken, I'll send you some snow if you want it. It accumulated about 5" or so, though it never got to 32 degrees before 4 AM here, so it only accumulated because it was snowing faster than it could melt. The road in front of the house is snow-and-ice-free, and our sidewalk is also snow-free. It looks purty out there, with snow stuck to all the trees, and grass.

Lucky you Terry.
I lost count how many time we lost power.
Tree branches coming down everywhere.
I'm guessing we got around "8 of lite dusting.
hate when the power goes out.
E.

Good morning gang!
Yeah, I know, look what the cat dragged in. :rolleyes:
Been waiting for our 1st snow of the season. Truck with plows everywhere, some roads pre-treated. I've only seen 2 flakes so far today. Yup, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Eric Glad to see you made it back to GA. Did the snow follow you?:confused:

NG Prayers that this shingles thing passes soon!

Been catching up on posts and really seeing some great modeling, hopefully soon I can add some fresh pics of my own.

I hope to get back to being a regular soon. I've got a settlement date on the house (12/19), and a court date for the big D(2/6/18), and of course the holidays to deal with with a fractured family. But the New Year brings the promise of change (along with a new female friend) so onward I go!

til then

I'm 10-10 on the side!

Good Morning All. 32° and clear. Should top out around 60° today and then into the 70's tomorrow and Monday. Wish I had gotten some of that snow, we need moisture in any form right now. Headed to my granddaughter's third birthday party later today. My daughter always has interesting parties, this one is a chocolate-themed party. I am not real interested in the chocolate so I'll just sit around drinking beer with my other SIL (son) and watching all of the 30 something mothers waltz around with their wine glasses, (and avoid the disparaging glances from my wife).
Only ran trains out in the train shed yesterday since it was chilly enough to wear a long-sleeved shirt. I don't work on the layout with long sleeves...don't ask why I know not to! Learned that one over thirty years ago.

Curt - So glad that your daughter did not have anything serious going on. She does need to deal with the stress though. I'm sure that you know that already.
Garry - Thanks for the comment. My cities aren't near as grand as the one that you post, but I really like to detail things and add small mini-scenes hidden away within the layout. Even the scenes that only I know are there. First time that I remember seeing your meat packing plant siding. The holding pens look good. We need to see more of the plant.
Sherrel - No winners or losers involved. Good to know that you are currently out of range of the fires. Stay alert.
Terry - Well, glad that you are safely home. No snow on the road or sidewalk in your neighborhood is fortunate.
Joe -
Ain't supposed to snow in the South, eh?
Well we get it about once or twice a year around here, although none fell in the last two years. We did get 4-12" events in 2013-2014 though. 2013 was the first year in the 36 years that I have lived out here that the county cleared (well somewhat) the roads, with a road grader! No plows around here. The county 911 folks finally raised a big enough stink about accessibility that they were forced into doing it. County commissioners didn't like paying the overtime on the 26th, the day after Christmas, especially after years of just letting the local farmers make tracks with their tractors.
Bruce - Sorry to hear that your shingles adventures aren't over yet, but it is good to read that you're getting back to the trains. The scenery bug hits all of us eventually. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.
Ken (D&J) - Enjoy the open house. I sometimes wish that I had that opportunity around here.

Enjoy the day and everybody have a good one.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everybody .

Willie ... My might packing plant is from the Walthers kit..... It was the first industry on my current layout. That means it is now about 15 years old. I don't take many photos of it. This is an older picture.

35781580125_63e80a02f7_b.jpg

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Getting my self in gear here to repair my track. For right now I figured I'd share a photo. My dog apparently is a railfan too.
4febd37e7b4abd3328213ce4a605bb3e.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Good morning y'all. 32° and snowing. So far, it's just starting to coat roofs. Not up to what was hyped on TV. Willie, you would be amused to learn it's never snowed in NYC before...:rolleyes: or so said some perky Millennial cub TV reporter... Also listening to the "Sound of freedom" coming from the artillery range at Joint Base McGuire/Dix/Lakehurst. The ranges are almost 40 miles away, but the cloudy sky carries the sound, while the ground transmits the impact. Sleep well tonight, your National Guard is awake!

Garry: My Meat packing plant is also about 15 years old, or older...just hasn't been built yet. Yours looks good. The ice plant is a nice touch also. My inspirations both (Medford and Cross Bros.), received livestock directly into the building, and shipped product via truck. Armor, received dressed beef from the Midwest in refrigerator cars, then processed and distributed to markets via truck.

Karl: Nice to hear things are beginning to stabilize.

Bruce: This will eventually pass, although your bout seems to be dragging on longer than average.

MIL got a "surprise" tax bill from Pennsylvania, for a transaction back in April 2016. Appears the lawyer screwed this up and the bill is good. Now I have to research this to verify my guess. More tedious work, I don't need...That Elder Care law firm, was really a waste of money...good thing we didn't renew the retainer. Wonder what's next?

Joe, now you know why lawyers don't offer a money back guarantee... :)

Then they would have to charge twice as much just to break even. I called a lawyer a few months ago to see what it would cost to review a 12 page separation agreement, his answer, $750.00. :eek: I went online to do research, made some addendums and sent it to her lawyer. Changes accepted, no questions asked. ;)

Good Morning All....light snow last night more on Monday morning.

Framed some signed photographs of the Super Bowl Packers from various Bowl games. My wife is the football fan and last year traveled to Canton, Ohio for Brett Favre induction into the Hall of Frame. This afternoon I need to dust the room which has her collection of football photos and other items. The 1,000 square foot room is a combo bar and sports area and all the walls are covered with ticket stubs, programs, photos (many personalized), Super Bowl trips and Jerseys. Wish this was my layout room.

Anyway back to trains....

Garry: Nice meat packing plant. Like the sides of beef hanging on the dock. A friend combined two kits to make one large packing plant. Lots of real estate needed for that project.

Do the folks living in the homes across from the plant complaint about the "Dairy Air" from the plant?

Justin: Your dog needs an engineer's hat while he watches the train.

After cleaning the room, my layout is in fairly decent shape for Holiday visitors and I might clean track. I finally realized I don't need to finish all uncompleted layout projects. I just need some trains running and lights and sounds in te Interchange Yard.

That's all for now.

Greg

Joe .... Thanks for commenting. I'm sure when you have a chance to assemble your meat packing plant, you will have fun doing it.

Justin .... Your dog looks comfortable.

Good Morning All....light snow last night more on Monday morning.

Garry: Nice meat packing plant. Like the sides of beef hanging on the dock. A friend combined two kits to make one large packing plant. Lots of real estate needed for that project.

Do the folks living in the homes across from the plant complaint about the "Dairy Air" from the plant?

Greg

Greg ... You reminded me of the smell of cattle. Holding my nose. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, one of my friends made the mistake of going camping, and has gone to Cabella's in Acworth to try to thaw out.

Karl and Terry: Yeah, so true. From what I can tell, although Pennsylvania billed twice, the worst we can do is pay once, and that is questionable, as there is an exception we can invoke, that would nullify the tax completely...hope springs eternal. Got to call them on Monday, and see where they are coming from. Also, there is a bill for the transfer fee. The fee was supposedly paid in April 16...second call to PA for Monday. The lawyer? well this should not have happened.

Justin: Dog looks like he's keeping an eye on the intruder (train).

Curt: Package arrived. Thank You.

Just got in from my day of "just trains". Went to the train show at the Eagles and found a whole tray of truck vans for the intermodal facility. $3 each or 2 @ $5, so I took the whole tray of 20. Found a detailed out 5 piece set of pot metal frame spine cars for $40.
Went up to the club layout in Quantico and ran a 20 car coal drag for a few hours. I was pulling it with my Fox Valley GP50 that has an ESU sound system in it. After a couple of hours the decoder started acting up. Emitting horn sounds by itself, the voice programming kept coming on by itself, soon the sound would be on when it was toggle to off and vice verse. Then the sound became erratic, cutting on and off. I cleaned the wheels to see if that was the problem. No improvement. Track was clean because we had a track cleaning train running. I'll take it downstairs and do a CV8=8 reset on it then start over.
More snow on the ground around home than up by Quantico. Not building up on the hard surfaces though. Might be slick in the morning. May have to stay home from church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back