Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Chet, Nice vid, particularly liked the view over the top of the ridge, others I have seen (not just yours) always take the grade shot from below it's level.

Howdy, everybody ..

Curt : ... I tried videos a couple of years ago, and it did not work well for me. I should try again.

Chet .... I like your video a lot ! ... We have a common UP boxcar cleaning the tracks.. Some day i should take a series of photos showing the overall layout as you suggested.

35743694123_b9182c4940_k.jpg

Chet......very nice vid with the RS3s.......particularly the back drop & scenery, that would be my next major project.
WJL........WIN10, that, my friend, is precisely what I would be afeared of:p.......Lol
Garry.......Does a WP box car cleaner count as a UP? Ok ok, mine is a few decades before the merger.......
Toot........a question for ya....on my ipad, I tried quoting Sherrel (a couple of posts back) it doesn't look like it turned out from what I see.......I used the quotes, highlighted the text & inserted! Is there a problem with my ..err..uhhh...ahh insertion? Thanks for your time:eek:

question for ya....on my ipad, I tried quoting Sherrel (a couple of posts back) it doesn't look like it turned out from what I see.......I used the quotes, highlighted the text & inserted! Is there a problem with my ..err..uhhh...ahh insertion? Thanks for your time:eek:

Actually I had some problems myself then. It's a copy and paste action. Can't say how you do that with an iPad. On a computer you highlite and copy the piece you want to quote (do this first), then click the "wrap quote tags" so they appear with the cursor flashing between them in the reply field, and paste. Then write your reply. The oddity that was occuring when I highlited and copied all that line, was, when pasted, all the text was in bold. I had to copy as you can see from the word question to avoid that.

Can you run me to the Aces? No beer run. I imagine the old man has given you hell about it by now.
I said nothing, so don't admit to anything.
Anyway, I really do need to visit the h/w store.

You should see the RR now that I have all the ground cover and track ballast put down.
E.

Oh, happy day, last night my shoulder hurt. I take that as a good sign, the shoulder has hurt everyday since 1988 when I injured it, the shingles WIPED all other pain off the map and now that the "normal" pain has returned I'm happy.

Gotta get busy on the layout, uncle coming in from Wash State in Sept and I want smooth runnings when he gets here.

Scored majorly when I took a friend to see Todd Rundgren in Grand Rapids last june! Life size cardboard cutouts of Cap'n KIRK and Mr SPOK! Most excellent, pics forthcoming, they now guard the layout and it's funny when people come down and do a DOUBLE-TAKE! LOL Took me a moth to not be startled when I come down here! LOL

Good morning, y'all. 59° and sunny, going to 84°. Of late, there have been more nice days, than not.

Oh, happy day, last night my shoulder hurt. I take that as a good sign, the shoulder has hurt everyday since 1988 when I injured it, the shingles WIPED all other pain off the map and now that the "normal" pain has returned I'm happy.

That's sort'a like when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Take the pain away by dropping the hammer on your big toe.

Good morning coffee shoppers......we're in for another day of low 80's with clouds on the left coast......everybody have an awesome day!

Good Morning All. 71° and raining again this morning. Looked a few minutes ago and had .5" in the gauge, to go with the eventual 1.8" from yesterday. Ground was so dry that the 1.8" didn't even produce any runoff at all. Last night I stepped back and let my wife back into the kitchen to cook. She made a wonderful chicken casserole with tortilla chips, cheese, black beans, onions, tomatoes and chili peppers. If you remember, I took over the kitchen when I retired because I love to cook and I now have time. I still grated all of the cheese for her and cooked the corn on the cob...easy! By the way, corn must be really plentiful this year, I have been buying it at my local (kinda) Kroger store for 20¢ an ear.
Due to the rain yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon in the train shed. I did lots of ballasting and painted some additional trackage. Accidentally spray painted a small part of a structure and I no longer have the Polly Scale paint that I originally used, to match it back up. Improvisation comes next. I did run a few trains on the lower level where I am not landscaping.

Garry - Thanks for the recent photos. It puts several areas into perspective that we have been seeing lately. I also look forward to seeing how that corner progresses. OK now. A question that has been bugging me for a bit now. How do you reach the back of the layout? Maybe it's just the camera angle, but that grain elevator scene looks to be quite a reach, especially now that the bridge scene is in front of it.
Chet - Nice video of your freight. Seems like you are really enjoying finding out about that model RR club so close (relatively).
Eric - Responding to your post #418, no I don't think that you posted any pictures with the turf yet.
Curt - Sometimes when I am having trouble with roofs, I use some Woodland Scenics "Scenic Accent" glue to hold them in place. It is meant to be applied to things that you might move around, like figures and details. I don't normally glue roofs on because I may want to remove them later to add details or lights to my structures; even though I also don't normally attach structures to the layout permanently.
Toot - I see the auto save message all of the time, and I have used the "Restore Previous Content" before, but I'm not sure how I did it. But there is no "restore" box here right now. Does it only appear when the computer thinks that you screwed up?
Bruce - I guess that is good news for you regarding the shoulder. Ah! Todd Rundgren. I'm old enough to have seen him perform with his first band "Nazz" back in 1968. The next time that I saw Nazz around the end of '69, Rick Nielson (later of Cheap Trick) had taken Todd's place.

Everybody have a great day. Looks like the rain has stopped so I can go for my walk. To liven things up, Thursday is the first day of school in our school district, so then I can compete with the school bus for road space when it comes by around 7:00. I want to also see who is driving this year. The previous one retired before last year after at least ten years, last year saw at least three different drivers. Also want to see which bus that they are using. Hey, it's sometimes a boring walk!:)

Willie

Good morning everyone. 69 and foggy here in SW MO. Rainy week coming up. Last weekend was mostly a washout - got over an inch in the rain gauge. Don't know when I'm gonna be able to mow!

Took me forever to catch up on the posts since last Friday, especially stopping to watch all the videos that were posted.

Garry - Great photos
Ken - neat videos of the Daylight Special
Curt - fantastic photos of the benchwork and layout

If I only had that much space! Anyway, the bridge is finished and I'm working on getting it in place with the track leading up to it. The Dairy Distributorship is done except for a few last details. I'll post a photo later this week.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. Ready for a cup. Starting out at 54 degrees with light showers. Haven't seen that for a while. The high is only expected to get into the low 70's.

We didn't get to stain the back deck yesterday as we had scattered light showers in the area. Some friends ended up coming over so we relaxed, watched the NASCAR race and then grilled some steaks. Nice to really have a doy of doing nothing at all.

Joe - You sure can't beat those old Atlas RS units. I am really disappointed in the DCC RS-1 that I picked up. Someone had mentioned that the only difference between the old ones and the new one was replacing the board on the old one with a DCC board. Guess that ain't so. 8 cars on the same grade that 2 of the old RS units pulled up in the earlier video. As I mentioned, I did put a third unit in when they wanted me to pull that track cleaning car, the same one that Garry posted the photo of. That car weighs as much as at least three regular freight cars.

Here's another short video taken on Saturday. I was running the train a bit faster than I would have liked, but someone had thrown a turnout putting me on a track heading for a head on wreck. They did stop short of a crossover but had another train stopped behind the first causing everything to come to a grinding halt until I could clear the tracks. Jerry, the backdrop at the club in Livingston very closely resembles the local scenery in the area. A local artist painted it years ago. Being quit familiar with the area, I can pick out numerous landmarks in the backdrop.

[video=youtube;holuetUOLiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=holuetUOLiU[/video]

Willie - It is nice to have the club to run at, but now that it's getting darker soon and with winter looming in the future, I will probably not be going there as often as I would like.

Here's my rails photo for the day. Didn't turn on the 'puter yesterday to post anything.

train-track-wallpapers-4555577.jpg This photo reminds me of the MRL line along the Clark Fork River in western Montana.

Clark Fork River.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Willie ... Thanks for the remarks... Most of the layout has 2' or less for easy reach. However, going around corners such as this one is challenging. Cars can be switched in the corner however.... Look, Ma! No hands ! ... Kadee couplers can be uncoupled with a magnetic uncoupler, and then the cars can be shoved to the grain elevators or to the stock pens. A remote control turnout determine which track. Later, a locomotive can couple on to the cars and pull them back. .... When needed I can reach everything from a ladder.

Johnny ... Thanks for the kind words.

Jerry .... A WP boxcar would be nice. I actually have thought about changing mine to CB&Q.

Chet ... I like the video. I agree about the old Atlas RS3's. You may recall I have posted photos of the ones I have that are detailed and painted for NP.

Garry - I do recall those photos. If you would have waited a while, Atlas did a nice job on the details on the DCC version. My only gripe with it is that it is wimpy, wimpy, wimpy in comparison to the DC versions.

[video=youtube;p7u1TaUkXAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7u1TaUkXAw&t=14s[/video]

I believe that you were on the road when I posted this video.

Mornin all, 62 and headed for 70; looks like we had a few sprinkles overnight.

Todd Rundgren, I missed the original post but I got to see him in concert a few years back. I liked him better before the concert, he was a bit of a pompous a_ _ in person.

Feel the same about Neil Young. After getting more into his biography, I like him less and less. Fame can make snots out of some folks, it seems.

However, the wife and I saw both Ringo Starr and the late B. B. King (on his 70th birthday) and they did not disappoint.

I love the boat jokes, I guess it was smart of us to stick with the kayak. The nephew says that a buck means a thousand.

Chet... That is a great video. The RS-1 looks and sounds terrific. .... Your layout certainly is a nice one. I suspect you may have spent some long winter nights in the train room working on the scenery and buildings. .. Outstanding work.

Chet: Great videos. Nice video of your long freight on your club layout and the RS units. Again great video of your LOGAN VALLEY layout, your modeling efforts really shine.

Sorry to hear that your newer DCC unit doesn't perform as well as the older units. I have several DC Atlas Classic RS units that I installed DCC decoders and they seem to pull very well. But, they aren't sound equipped so they may weigh more than those with sound and the extra weight is a plus for pulling power.

With winter coming and lack of daylight, does your club offer keys to the membership so members can operate during daylight hours during their own schedule? If they don't, maybe you can make that suggestion and see if they would consider that option for members. Or, have special week day sessions?

Home from the cabin and my (old replacement) sump pump behaved while I was gone for four days. Still need to purchase a new pump or try repairs to the new one that didn't work.

Tomorrow is a train day.

Thanks.

Greg

Back