Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Joe - You sure can't beat those old Atlas RS units. I am really disappointed in the DCC RS-1 that I picked up. Someone had mentioned that the only difference between the old ones and the new one was replacing the board on the old one with a DCC board. Guess that ain't so. 8 cars on the same grade that 2 of the old RS units pulled up in the earlier video. As I mentioned, I did put a third unit in when they wanted me to pull that track cleaning car, the same one that Garry posted the photo of. That car weighs as much as at least three regular freight cars.

Here's another short video taken on Saturday. I was running the train a bit faster than I would have liked, but someone had thrown a turnout putting me on a track heading for a head on wreck. They did stop short of a crossover but had another train stopped behind the first causing everything to come to a grinding halt until I could clear the tracks.

Chet: I have three Atlas RS1s, a Yellow Box, and two different releases manufactured in China, but before Atlas' supplier was taken over by Bachmann's parent company. The Yellow Box (Kato), is the least detailed but runs the best. It's still DC only. One of the other two, has a silent decoder, and runs fairly well, but slowly. The third is awaiting being converted into a Tsunami equipped with extra PRR specific details. I'm still looking for roller bearing truck sides tat will fit, and undecided as to whether to paint it late PRR or PC.

I liked the video at the club, and the one I presume is on your layout. The start-up and sound is right on for a RS1 or S series switcher. The RS3, sounds a bit different.

Greg - They do give keys to members. My main problem is that in the winter months, Bozeman Pass can become a bear with snow and wind. It's about a 50 mile ride for me to get there. Getting too old for this. They do have the layout open to the public on Thursday and Saturday evenings. I am guessing that the weight is the difference between the Dc and DCC versions. I have not taken the shell off of the DCC version, but I would guess that the weight size is reduced to make room for the speaker.

Joe - The ones I have are the first releases of the RS-1's, RS-3's, RS-4/5's and RS-11's, with the Kato drive. Before Atlas released these locomotives, Athearn were probably the best bang for the buck, but really weren't the best running locomotives. I ended up putting a lot of work into the Athearn locomotives. The sintered iron wheels wer replaces with NWSL N/S wheels, the motor hard wired to the trucks and eventually the motors were replaced with NWSL can motors. With all of that work, they did run so much better, almost as good as the original Atlas units.

After getting the first Atlas unit, undecorated, I couldn't get over how well they ran. Ended up with a dozen of them. As you mentioned, the details weren't the best, but I did a lot of carving and drilling adding details to them. On the RS-3's and RSD-4/5 number boards were also added to the corners of the hoods. Wire grab irons and other details were also added.

Here are a couple of closer photos where you can make out some of the added details.

Herd of Alcos.jpg 0021.jpg

All - forgot to mention in my morning post - over the weekend I ran two trains around the layout for over an hour - did have one derailment when I forgot to switch one of the turnouts back for the second train. But this is getting to be a blast - backing into the trainyard to pick up and drop off cars - finally having some real fun. Itchin' to get the second line down on that new section of benchwork. MOH ("trainroom widow") asked if the Christmas train could run on the layout (I got it for her last year and we ran it around the Christmas tree). It's HO scale and will of course run on our layout, so she's anxious to see that this fall. She's happy - I'm happy!

Daughter, SIL, and 1-year-old granddaughter came over for lunch Saturday, and it's the first time granddaughter has seen the trains. She seemed fascinated by it. I may have another helper in a couple of years?

Have a good rest of the day.

WILLIE- Saw a napkin set with the following- NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK

93* and waiting for later t/s's
Wish y'all a fine day.

Phil

Chet - Was watching your videos and looking at your photos - what brand and size ballast do you use? That's a nice realistic effect the ballast gives to your track.

Johnny - I used John's Ballast. It is no longer available. Guess they went out of business. I bought a large quantity years ago when I had a Walthers dealership.

Johnny - I used John's Ballast. It is no longer available. Guess they went out of business. I bought a large quantity years ago when I had a Walthers dealership.

Chet - thanks for that info. I'll have to take some time at the LHS and see what kind of ballast they have. The stuff I bought is too fine, and like Willie says it could be good for modeling dirt roads and unpaved parking lots. Didn't know you had a Walthers dealership - cool.

Johnny - It was nice to have the dealership. I had a friend locally who was building an extremely large model railroad and was getting a lot of model railroad supplies. I was also selling to a lot of modelers who belonged to the Great Falls model railroad club. This was in the mid 80's. My friend unfortunately passed away and when the recession hit in the late 80's, sales were down and some people had to leave the are for work. My job also went down the drain. I was working for Summit Electronics out of Ohio who opened a branch in Bozeman. I worked in R&D. It was fun designing circuits and then seeing what could blow it up. They wanted me to move to Ohio, but that wasn't going to happen. I said O where ????

I did order a lot of supplies for my layout which did last me for years during construction of the layout. I wasn't in it to make money. I was selling at cost plus shipping to the customers which kept items moving. Almost everything was special order for me as I did not keep much of anything in stock.

Johnny - It was nice to have the dealership. I had a friend locally who was building an extremely large model railroad and was getting a lot of model railroad supplies. I was also selling to a lot of modelers who belonged to the Great Falls model railroad club. This was in the mid 80's. My friend unfortunately passed away and when the recession hit in the late 80's, sales were down and some people had to leave the are for work. My job also went down the drain. I was working for Summit Electronics out of Ohio who opened a branch in Bozeman. I worked in R&D. It was fun designing circuits and then seeing what could blow it up. They wanted me to move to Ohio, but that wasn't going to happen. I said O where ????

I did order a lot of supplies for my layout which did last me for years during construction of the layout. I wasn't in it to make money. I was selling at cost plus shipping to the customers which kept items moving. Almost everything was special order for me as I did not keep much of anything in stock.

Chet - Interesting background. thanks for sharing - it's nice to get to know more about the members on this forum.

Good Afternoon All,

Today I did some chores, then Phil called me for a couple of minutes. After running an errand I made it into the train room. It took right at 90 minutes to get the Wild West corrugated roofing glued down. After that my shoulders were aching so I called it a day. I still need to weather the roof and walls. The color is Rustoleum Warm Caramel Brown.

Willie- That's a good roof idea.

Chet- Great closeup video and rail pictures.

Johnny- Sounds like you did a great job with the track laying.

Chet/Joe- I have a Atlas/Kato Black Box RS1. It is a great puller with DCC and of course all decked out for the Pennsy.

20170814_145609.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have good news, I had asked for an appeal and detailed explanation of my state tax audit. Today I received a letter from the state, with a check enclosed!

They reverse their decision and accepted my original return! I received a repayment of the taxes I had over paid, but no apology or interest on my over payment, but I'm not going to complain.

Looks like I don't need to pay an accountant, Turbo tax's business edition was sufficient.

Joe - The ones I have are the first releases of the RS-1's, RS-3's, RS-4/5's and RS-11's, with the Kato drive. Before Atlas released these locomotives, Athearn were probably the best bang for the buck, but really weren't the best running locomotives. I ended up putting a lot of work into the Athearn locomotives. The sintered iron wheels wer replaces with NWSL N/S wheels, the motor hard wired to the trucks and eventually the motors were replaced with NWSL can motors. With all of that work, they did run so much better, almost as good as the original Atlas units.

After getting the first Atlas unit, undecorated, I couldn't get over how well they ran. Ended up with a dozen of them. As you mentioned, the details weren't the best, but I did a lot of carving and drilling adding details to them. On the RS-3's and RSD-4/5 number boards were also added to the corners of the hoods. Wire grab irons and other details were also added.

Chet: First of all, nice photo. Shows what a difference a few little details will do. The bulk of my Atlas fleet is the more modern "Classic" series from China. They work very well, and pull well also. Detail is better. There were a couple, that didn't work so well out of the box, but they do now. The most recent versions, also from China have the reputation as weak pullers, with or without DCC/Sound. They reputedly shared the factory and motor with Intermountain and Bowser. Come to think of it, they also share the production delays :rolleyes:.

I was devoted to the standardized Athearn Blue Box, with replacement JayBee wheels, and other upgrades. I still have some undecorated F7 and GP7 BB kits somewhere in my basement. Once Atlas, P2K and Stewart started to offer alternatives to the BB, they lost their luster. I have one athearn BB FM Trainmaster upgraded to DCC. Don't need sound with that original BB Drive. :rolleyes:

Louis: That's great news. Sometimes, tax audit winners are determined by who blinks first. They disallow, and hope you send a check, if you appeal instead, they send you a check.

Ken in VA: Don't know, All modern locos look the same to me...but your collection of intermodal equipment is awesome.

Curt: Unable to load photo in this mode, I'll try again later on a different device. I have noticed your RS1. It's what inspired me to upgrade one of my fleet. Nice loco.

Speaking of freight houses, I finished painting the walls of my version of the 1895 Reading Company Market Street Freight House. I attempted to upload the photo, to the forum, but I had to out do Sherrel, the photo uploaded upside down :confused:. I'll try again later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon All,

Today I did some chores, then Phil called me for a couple of minutes. After running an errand I made it into the train room. It took right at 90 minutes to get the Wild West corrugated roofing glued down. After that my shoulders were aching so I called it a day. I still need to weather the roof and walls. The color is Rustoleum Warm Caramel Brown.

Willie- That's a good roof idea.

Chet- Great closeup video and rail pictures.

Johnny- Sounds like you did a great job with the track laying.

Chet/Joe- I have a Atlas/Kato Black Box RS1. It is a great puller with DCC and of course all decked out for the Pennsy.

View attachment 62818

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: The roof is terrific. Nice work.

I'm not sure who wanted them, but wasn't somebody needing a set of roller bearing side frames for an RS1?IMG_2206.jpg

Back