Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to kick my own arse for not getting on here more often. 12 and more pages behind, again.
First- MRR mag could fill three (3) months of their mag with what you folks post. Don't want to leave out anyone so I wont name names. We KNOW who you are.
KEN- Hope you also checked out the REAR wheel bearing. May HE be your co-pilot.

IIRC INCH's real name is MIKE. I have his 'E' address in my address book. Still send items to him.

Sherrel- Call me when ever you feel like it. Don't want to call and possibly disturb you.

My drink of choice is VODKA with lime or with 7UP or straight from the freezer. It wont freeze.

CHET- How about JAMES BEAM 100 month Bourbon in a 4-6-0 loco? Was made 1988,still sealed in its ceramic container. The tender is hollow. Curt and Jon saw it today,

Prayers still on going. With age comes loss-Hair,Teeth,Muscles,Memory and worst of all- FRIENDS and FAMILY
Love you all,
Phil

Good morning, y'all. Happy Friday! 72° and cloudy.

Louis: Well, the O's swept Texas, another "challenged" team, 9-7 comeback. Miley - 91 pitches in 5 innings, 5 Earned Runs Allowed, 3 Ks, 4 BB. Not Good! Britton, tried to give it away in the 9th. On the bright side, 4 Wins in a row. Tonight is a real test, against 1st place Houston, and Ubaldo is slated as the starter for the O's :mad:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric. .. I'm much more interested in your refrigerator car projects than OJ. That man is nauseating.

Boy I can sure understand that!!!!

I'll build my Miller beer reefer car right now and post pics for you to enjoy.
E

Already up to near 80° this morning. Humidity must be high.
I took an early walk because they already issued one of those "stay inside unless you must go out" type warnings.
My clothes felt sticky when I got back in.
E

I don't think I posted anything about this new item. I was looking for something to keeps my plaster carving tools in.
The one pictured on the paper is what I found out there.
However, all my carving tools have tools on both ends.
Mom is a master seamstress of the first order so I asked her to build me something similar.
Since my tools are double-ended I asked her to figure out how to make both ends visible.
Once again, Mom right through within a couple hours.
Here ya go:

Carving_Set_1.jpg
Carving_Set_2.jpg

Good Morning All. 80° and clear today, another windless morning. Just returned from my morning walk, sweating profusely. I am a little late today since I decided to replace that broken wheel bearing on the tractor before I left. Now I can resume mowing. Looks like the tomato rush is over. There's only about three dozen left on the vines right now. They did last longer than they typically do. I was picking them for nine weeks before the heat took over. Ugggh! The pool temperature reached 90° again yesterday afternoon...it's 86° right now though.
Out in the train shed, mostly ran some trains yesterday. I did also take some time to assemble two Accurail boxcars, got one of them re-numbered, will get the other today. Added a few more feet of lighting buss under the upper deck. I did something else that I don't remember right now.

Sherrel - It sounds like fatigue is your greatest issue right now. Be careful and let the body heal itself at it's own pace. It might be that you are trying too hard to take two steps forward, when the body is only ready to take one step at a time right now. I do believe in pushing to the limit, but not so close to two successful surgeries back to back. Keep thinking positive thoughts...that goes a long way.
Eric - Regarding the roof hatches. I'm not old enough to have experienced those cars first hand, but I have viewed many pictures of ATSF ones. Their reefers mostly had black roofs with black hatches. Maybe one in a hundred reefers had a single aluminum colored replacement hatch on it, but I never saw a picture where all of them were a different color. But hey! It's your railroad.
Terry - Hope that your tech has a quick and successful recovery.
Phil - Good to hear from you here. Keep those cards and letters coming!

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 53 degrees to srart the day with the high in the 90's again. Eric - I think most of us are having to put up with the heat. At least we don''t have the humidity up here. Installed my new weather station yesterday and saw 93 oh it. Like the new station with the BIG numerals just right for old farts like me.

Phil - Don't know if any bourbon would last long around here. I do keep Jack Black, Makers Mark, Jim Beam Devils Cut and others in the cupboard. Beer is my drink of choice, but I like a little bourbon around when I'm cooking.

Terry - Hope your friend is doing well. Sounds like he dodged a bullet.

Trussrod - That tractor must be driving you nuts. Had an old Ariens with numerous attachments that I was able to keep running for over 25 years. It worked 12 months out of the year. Mowing, tilling, running a snow blower in the winter but when it started running rough and and I could see the piston and rod throught the hole in the engine block, it got retired.

Eric - Sure like your assortment of tools.

Guess I'll post another photos of rails, in a bit better shape. Sure wouldn't want to have to model this.

a-union_rail_tracks.jpg

Later

Good morning ..... I'll have coffee and a donut.

Phil .... Thanks for posting about Mike (Inch). He and his wife did visit here a few years ago.

Willie ... It is good to hear you are enjoying your train shed much of the time. As a general rule, I also include details on roofs.

Chet ... What ! You are saying you would not want to model those tracks. Ah, come on. You can handle it. It will be easy for an expert like you. Post a photo of the results next week. :D

Eric ... I like that tool organizer. Tell Mom she did a great job. .... Enjoy assembling the Miller Beer car. ..... Below is my schlitz reefer at the brewery .

34998847624_0e26290f12_b.jpg

Garry - Nice photo. As to modeling those tracks, the answer is simple. NO.

I could handle this, but would have to order more flex track.

end of the line.jpg

Eric - Regarding the roof hatches. I'm not old enough to have experienced those cars first hand, but I have viewed many pictures of ATSF ones. Their reefers mostly had black roofs with black hatches. Maybe one in a hundred reefers had a single aluminum colored replacement hatch on it, but I never saw a picture where all of them were a different color. But hey! It's your railroad.

Seems to me they would use lite colors so as to reflect sun's rays. Kinda like putting "Kool Seal" on a trailer's roof.
I'll try to keep it somewhat in the margins of reality.
E.

Thanks Chet.
Looks like I did pretty good putting the hatches closer to the ends.
Actually, based on Willie's ideas/suggestions/commentary, I still have some work to do.
The colors never seemed correct to me but with no direction from the instructions I just made my "best guess" of what might be realistic.

Sure, I'm free-wheelin my railroad but I'd like to stay in bounds of reason.
There will never be any disco balls around my rigs!!!
Yeah NewGuy, I'm poking at ya. Where have you run off now?
E.

Good morning Everybody!

Everywhere I go people are talking about the heat. Yes it's hot and humid, this is Baltimore in the dog days of summer!!! people love to complain, soon it will be too cold. Thank you God for everyday, I'm glad to be alive!

E that is one cool case you got there and custom made to boot, congratulations!

Garry I love the Schlitz car and as always seeing pictures of your masterpiece layout.

Schlitz was sold in every establishment, then my generation said it was crap, same thing happened with Baltimore's National Boh. I think my generation just did now want to drink their fathers beer.

I had the good fortune of being able to talk to Brew Masters from both Anheuser-Busch and G. Heileman breweries when I worked at Memorial Stadium and they both told me "there is not much difference between true lager beers, most people could not taste the difference" I suppose it's all a matter of what people believe. I don't get it, reminds me of today's political scene, facts don't matter, many people just ignore them. Many people believe what they want to believe.

OJ is a source of aggravation, mixed emotions and bitter sweet memories for me. I idolized him when he was a player. He was the best running back of his day, top 3 all time. Week after week we knew Buffalo was going to feature him and he still wore out defenses. No matter what my Baltimore Colts did they could not stop him. Later he was funny in the movies and even TV commercials. Then we find out he is a coke fiend and more than likely a murderous thug. What a disappointment he turned out to be, to say the least, he makes me sick.

Boris I can't explain what has turned the bats around, other than maybe reaching a low point the are now listening to the hitting coach. The hitters are not chasing, they are getting deeper into counts, fouling off tough pitches with 2 strikes and best of all letting the ball travel, driving it to the opposite field. Good hitters let the pitcher determine where the ball goes and now our hitters are going with the pitch! We still left 14 runners on base, but we had more than our share of clutch 2 out hits.

Miley is his own worst enemy. He has become too predictable. He goes 3-1 (as usual) to Napoli then like always throws an off speed pitch in a fastball count. Napoli was looking for it, he recognized the curveball and hit a 3 run HR. The other 3 starters trusted their stuff and challenged hitters when they got behind in their last start. With all this advanced scouting you have to be unpredictable. I would not have been upset if he had tried to throw a fastball down and away and walked him. The guy behind him is flirting with the Mendoza line! Walks are not so bad if you keep them to 1 every three innings or less. Miley is walking more than 1 every 2 innings! He is a lefty who throws in the low to mid-90s! WTF are you doing!!!

If I were Buck I would pull an Earl Weaver on Miley. Earl was known to show up his players by screaming at them on the field when he needed to make a point. I think Buck recognizes what it takes to gently coax these over paid cry babies. The days of men like Earl are long gone. I remember when Earl retired for the second time after the 85 season, he said, "I can't work with this generation"

Speaking of Buck, I trust him, he is brilliant! When Brock came in for the 8th I was thinking "oh no, is this a good idea? Britton is still in spring training mode". But I thought "ok Buck, you know best" I think Buck was thinking we have to get Britton back to last years form if we are going to make a run. I'm not saying we can't if Britton remains shaky, but it sure will be easier!

Ok, we swept Texas, they are not the best, but to sweep any big league team in 4 games is an accomplishment.

Now we face the closet thing to "murderers row" the big leagues has this year. Houston is leading the AL in every major offensive category. The are for real and they could win it all, but they can be beat if you can out pitch them, same as any team. I'm really looking forward to this series, lets see just how good we are.

Louis, I'll bet Mom wouldn't mind a bit to sell one.
Or if you need a special item - like I did - she can accomodate.

GARRY- Sent a message to a bunch of old-timers on the other diner about MIKE. Also "E" mailed to Mike. Thanked him for all those pix he posted.

Phil

Well it's already 86 and muggy. Gee, I guess it must be summer time. Waiting for mid 90's and p.m. thunder boomers.
Wish y'all a happy day
Prayers on going,
Phil

Thank you E! Tell your Mom I just night take her up on that after the first of the year.

I am working on a possible deal to buy a house, I might be moving much sooner than I thought. it's not the perfect house I was looking for but the deal is looking to good to pass up. I might buy it and buy another in a few years to retire in.

It may delay my plans for a permanent layout for maybe a few years, but hey I can wait and this would give me something else to leave for my boys when I finally give up the ghost, in 40-50 years or more! In the mean time it will increase my net worth, that is a nice change rather than seeing it dwindle for the last 15 years.

Flip,
what the hell are you talking about?
Have I missed something? Granted I was down and out the last couple days.
So, what did I miss?

E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back