Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... does anyone know about where to place reefer car roof doors?
I'd like to be done with project.

The ice hatches go on the top corners of the car Eric.

IMAG0533.jpg

There are ice bunkers at each end of the car and the chilled air is circulated around the car while in transit.

Put them closer to the ends of the car. The ice bunkers are at the ends of the car. Hinges are correct

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good afternoon, Warm, 91 degrees.

Eric -
Bored? With all of the work that you've done building kits? And a darn nice job on top of all of the problems you have. You've gotten more model railroad project done in the past couple of weeks than I have in months. More power to you buddy.

Garry - I'm open to trying some of that moonshine. I do have a bottle of Montana moonshine in the cupboard.

Gene - That would make one heck of a model railroad work station. Cool (I can't sew either)

Sherrel - If he ever wants to donate one of those consolidations to a worthy cause, I'll send you my address.

Here's another rail photo. Sure wonder how this came about.

View attachment 62410

Gotta get home and move the rain birds again, .............................Later
Chet, that's quite the heat kink you found there.
One of your previous photos was of the Maumee and Western Railroad. Top speed on the good portions was 10mph.

Casey Jones Distillery? Really? Too cool! But can they ship interstate? I really want to try some! :cool:

I do not know if they can ship interstate. Maybe it depends of the destination state.

Perhaps you heard how rednecks make bourbon. They spit their chewing tobacco into their moonshine to make it caramel color. ... ;)

Here's another rail photo. Can't believe that they actually would run a train on tracks like this. The engineers seat must have a pooch make on it the size of a traffic cone. View attachment 62405
Note that photo was taken with a telephoto lens. That highly exaggerates the roughness of the rail. The track in the photo below looked perfectly straight and flat to the naked eye, and this isn't that large of a telephoto. I'm guessing the one above is 400mm or larger.
IMG_5120.jpg

Kinda of funny. I built and/or fixed (i.e. make the track ready) some 25 or so cars yesterday and completely burned out on it.
I was checking what I had left and lo and behold is a Miller Beer car exactly like my Snickers reefer car. So now I know about where to the ice hatches.
E

[edit]
PS: for the pics again. Here.

Miller_1.jpgMiller_2.jpg

Attachments

• Miller_1.jpg
    Miller_1.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Miller_2.jpg
    Miller_2.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
The day has arrived. The long planned, much looked forward too. Starting out this morning on my three week road trip.
Harley is all serviced up. Stuff is packed and has found a place on the bike. Gonna stop at Chic-Fil-A and get a quick breakfast, then it's on to Detroit, MI today.
I'll be checking in here on occasion, but not while I'm riding.

The day has arrived. The long planned, much looked forward too. Starting out this morning on my three week road trip.
Harley is all serviced up. Stuff is packed and has found a place on the bike. Gonna stop at Chic-Fil-A and get a quick breakfast, then it's on to Detroit, MI today.
I'll be checking in here on occasion, but not while I'm riding.

Ken of the D&J;

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

An Irish Blessing

That just came to mind and seemed appropriate.

Note that photo was taken with a telephoto lens. That highly exaggerates the roughness of the rail. The track in the photo below looked perfectly straight and flat to the naked eye, and this isn't that large of a telephoto. I'm guessing the one above is 400mm or larger.
View attachment 62414

Good morning, 52 degrees & dry here on the left coast, expected to be 86 for the high today, hazy skies from some of the distant fires going on........
Anyway, back to the quote, try looking down the track with a pair of binocs........THAT, is scary........

View attachment 62414

Holy maceral Andy, it's the Iron Horsemen! I am so glad to see you in the coffee shop!!!

Help me out here my learned friend, is it an optical illusion due to the magnification? Or is it that the magnification makes it's visible? Or some combination of both?

I do not know if they can ship interstate. Maybe it depends of the destination state.

Perhaps you heard how rednecks make bourbon. They spit their chewing tobacco into their moonshine to make it caramel color. ... ;)

Garry both you and Karl were amusing me with your puns.

However I was not amused to hear about redneck bourbon, I could have done without that!

I read last year there was talk of allowing retail interstate purchases of wine in Maryland, no mention of liquor. I don't know if it went through or not. Considering the "King of Maryland", Senate president Mike Miller's family owns liquor stores I doubt it. On that topic we have had only 1 increase in the liquor tax in over 50 years. In contrast to cigarette taxes that are always going up. Are we really concerned with pubic health?

Speaking of bourbon I have often said I have never tasted a bad bourbon, but thankful I have never had redneck bourbon and now that I have been informed I will know to say "no thank" you if redneck bourbon is ever offered to me. I'll stick to Evan Williams, dollar for dollar I don't think you can find a better whiskey.

Maybe that is why I prefer clear Irish Poitin, Irish moonshine if you will. Since 1989 it has been legal to produce and export from Ireland. It's no longer 96% pure alcohol, but it is very good! Some people find the taste harsh, but I love it. I have my share on the 4th of July and a shot before thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. My favorite brand is Irish Glory. Interestingly it comes from County Cork Ireland, the birth place of my grandmother.

Usually 750ml will last me for over a year, but this past 4th of July my son was offering it to anyone willing to try it. Usually it sits on the liquor table and goes mostly unnoticed or avoided, I don't know which.

In addition to shots I like Poitin mixed in a blender with ice and a splash of lemonade on a hot day.
glory-irish-poitin.jpg

Kinda of funny. I built and/or fixed (i.e. make the track ready) some 25 or so cars yesterday and completely burned out on it.
I was checking what I had left and lo and behold is a Miller Beer car exactly like my Snickers reefer car. So now I know about where to the ice hatches.
E

[edit]
PS: for the pics again. Here.

View attachment 62417View attachment 62418
E your skill with these boxcars appears to be equal to your models, well done my friend!

Good morning, y'all. 77° and summer time humid.

To summarize, The Orioles won again, with another impressive hitting performance. I had a very productive day, getting the Caddie inspected, (passed), then accompanying the wife to Jo-Ann and the Mall. :rolleyes: We stopped at the chocolate store, and overspent on stuff we really don't need.

Chet: The photo reminds me of the Millstone Branch in Jersey, which begins at County Interlocking, (Jersey Avenue Station), on the NEC and runs west about two miles to Franklin twp. The first half mile to HWY 27 (Lincoln Hwy), is in great shape as it serviced several Industrial parks, a Kellogs Distribution center, and a Cardboard box factory. the rest looks like the photo. at the end of the line, is another paper facility that holds five 50' box cars (Usually KCS), and gets switched twice a week. Top spped was 4 to 5 MPH, pulled out, and shoved back. It was an unusual trip, where we didn't come apart at least once eiter way. The only reason we didn't derail, was the track was tangent. One night a splice bar broke under the engine, (B-23-7) and ruptured the fuel tank. We left a two mile long oil slick, and a large puddle under the engine. Because it was dark, and the tank was low, we did not see the leak, or learn of it until the next day. The RR cleaned up the oil mess, and nothing further was said. Makes one wonder why in the deregulated era, Conrail was still jumping through hoops to service this one client, when they should have embargoed the branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back