Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Good Morning Everyone. A chilly (for this time of year) 44° and clear with light winds out of the north. Shut the dang door Chet!
OK! here is a picture of many of the motorcycles that I have been assembling and painting.
04-22-17 003.JPG
The four on the left came from JL Innovative Design and are 1947 Indian motorcycles. The three on the right (2-unfinished) are more modern from DPM. I still have eight more DPM's and three more JL's left to start.

Beady - Thanks for the suggestions on the barrels, but I model more modern times from 1978 onward. By then breweries and bars used kegs mostly. I have a bunch of them as well. Although the gondola idea might work as an abandoned one on a disused spur somewhere.
Ken in MD - Don't hesitate on the wooden structures. They make great models once you get the hang of them. I went 25 years before trying one about 10 years ago, and I am now hooked. My problem is finding enough that will not look too out of place in my era. There are many manufacturers of small, simple, inexpensive kits that I have built; Blair Lines, JL Innovative, American Model Builders and Bar Mills are some of them. They all have their own idiosyncrasies that need to be learned. Curt mentioned CG Laser which I have no experience with.
Bob - Good to see you return. That makes two guys here counting the days/months until retirement.
Karl - I need you to come by my place and spend a day doing chores...plenty of brown bottles available all of the time!
David - Dang, you certainly keep strange hours. From the time stamp, you posted at 3:00 am this morning! Be careful out there.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Willie

Good morning, everybody.

Karl .... The B&O Historical Society building is impressive.

Willie,.... I like the motorcycle models.

Burlington Bob. .... Great to see your post. I'm sure you are eagerly looking forward to retirement.

Today is Shelley's birthday, and I have plans to be spoiling her as if she was a queen. I will be busy doing that most of today and much of tomorrow.

Have a nice Sunday, everyone.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I have some paint blemishes I need to correct on some of my structures. Seems to be all I have for right now. Maybe make some more trees for the layout. At least I can finally get back to my trains now.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning, America; how are ya?

A chilly but sunny 39° this morning in Fulton county, with a high temp of 72° predicted. No excuses for not mowing the yard today!

I took a toolbox with me last week to the room with the needed parts to add decoders to 3 Kato F units that I got about a year ago. Gives me something to do besides watch TV while we're working eight hours a day. Still have an InterMountain FT set and 4 LifeLike SD 7's to put decoders in. The LL SD 7's will be hardwired using Digitrax DZ126 decoders. I also took my ConCor Great Northern S2 4-8-4 to a LHS to have a SoundTrax Economi sound decoder installed in it. Hope it turns out well. Can't wait to get it back but it won't be until the end of May before it's ready. Guess that means I'll have to figure out how to post a video from my I-phone of it going around my little test track.

One more week of eight hours on the 3-11 shift then I'll start working day shift for the refuel. I've been down here (actually more like OVER here) for two months doing new fuel receipts. We unloaded the new fuel bundles, did the final inspections, got them ready for use and then put them in the fuel vault to be installed in the reactor during the outage. A very good job but very repetitive! Now the real work will begin! About two weeks of prep then we'll open the reactor. It'll be butt holes and elbows in a well orchestrated effort to get everything done error free and on time. Then I'll have the summer off!

Everyone have a good day and stay safe!

Hmmmm.....I'll add a couple more here. This is on display at the Chief Logan State Park just outside of Logan, WV. About 45 minutes from me.
ac97896c587d825a11c412d27bc5836f.jpg
03a46e229735395ae35e1a8ea5f7b106.jpg
85a47f4d9047bef890e3dacac614057a.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. 42 degrees to start off the day.

Bob - Great to see you back posting. Don't be a stranger.

Justin - Those are some nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Ken in MD - That is some really good bread, isn't it. Starting to run low myself.

Eric - Nice to see that you are getting back to doing some work on the trains. Hopefully working on them will help with your recovery.

Willie -
I see a few Indians among those motorcycles.

Looks like the race at Bristol is going to be rained out so maybe I can get some work done in the train room.

Later.

Here's a neat manipulated photo I found on another forum. I know nothing about it, just thought it worth showing.
e828bb3fbf4c772d8e48f27c0235caf3.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.
It seems to be an early British Steamer. Heres the wiki

Cathedrals Express

Cathedrals Express at Maidenhead in July 1959, hauled by Castle class 5071 Spitfire

The Cathedrals Express was a named passenger express which ran on the Western Region of British Railways. It connected the cathedral cities of Hereford and Worcester to London Paddington.[SUP][1][/SUP]
The service was introduced on 16 September 1957 and was operated six days a week until the 12 June 1965. It departed Hereford at 7.45 with the return service leaving Paddington at 16.45. Coaching stock was in the GWR chocolate and cream livery, not the BR standard maroon of this period.
The service also stopped at Oxford, another cathedral city, although this was already well-served by other London services. Although a named train, the Cathedrals Express was by no means a fast service throughout. Between Hereford and Worcester it was at most a semi-fast.[SUP][1][/SUP]
In later years the number of stops increased. The timetable in summer 1963 was: Hereford (d. 8.00), Ledbury, Colwall, Great Malvern, Malvern Link, Worcester Foregate Street, Worcester Shrub Hill (d. 9.10), Evesham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Oxford, Reading and Paddington (a. 11.55; 12.09 on Saturdays) – returning from Paddington at 17.15 and reaching Hereford at 20.59 (21.18 on Saturdays).[SUP][2][/SUP]

There was a restaurant car service east of Worcester. Through carriages from Kidderminster to London and v.v. were also attached/detached at Worcester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but if he had to try that using bowling alley shoes, a bowling alley ball, slow intermittent pin service and other team bowlers who are carrying on a conversation instead being up there and ready, his score would be like mine, very similar to my golf scores.

Good afternoon, 64 and filtered sun today.

Bob-- so you are planning on the summer off! Nice! I am enjoying a "trial retirement" while working on settling the estate, which amounts to only a few hours a week at this point.

Justin-- some real grit on your photo with the "F" units.

Just about ran over a turkey on the way home from church this morning. Funny they could be so thick in what feels like the middle of a residential area.

Yeah, but if he had to try that using bowling alley shoes, a bowling alley ball, slow intermittent pin service and other team bowlers who are carrying on a conversation instead being up there and ready, his score would be like mine, very similar to my golf scores.

I did get a 300 game last year, but it took 16 years from the previous 300 game. There have been occasions when my team members had to remind me that we were bowling, and not playing golf as the high score wins.

Oh? You hit 270 on the course, too?

I did manage to get some work done on the grade crossings. Scraped the hydrocal out of the tracks so the rails were clear and got some concrete colored paint down. IMAG1113.jpg IMAG1114.jpg IMAG1115.jpg

Now comes the part that takes time. Cutting the styrene so it fits fairly tightly between the rails but leave enough room for the wheel flanges to pass through easily. After a lot of cutting and filing, one crossing has the styrene installed. All it need now is a touch up on the ballast and ground cover.

IMAG1116.jpg

Hey, Chet! Remember, it ain't no hill for a climber! :):):). Nice work on the crossings, too.

Dave, I get summers off fairly regularly............which makes me want to be retired all the more! My sister's husband retired last year after 44 years with Caterpillar. Did I remember to tell you how jealous I am?

Willie, I just realized that wine and whiskey age in wooden barrels. Just a thought.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Back