Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Well fellers, I've been with train stuff. I finished painting the bridge. My new paint booth showed up yesturday but wasn't sure I would keep it. Too late now!
An order from MBK showed today. I started ordering track pieces and stuff.
In the meantime I am building and painting some of these kits the fellers sent me.
My hands seem to have recovered from the strokes or whatever so I now have my finger dexterity back.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good morning. It's raining (currently heavily) and 62.
Eric, it's good to see you in the coffee shop.
Ken, I was concerned you were going to experience this with your cat. The price of a good pet includes a broken heart in the end.

Good morning y'all, 50 and cloudy.

Eric: good to learn you are getting dexterity back, and modeling again. Nice to hear from you.

Ken in VA: Sorry you lost your kitty. Loss of a critter friend always hurts.

In sports, the O's won, and the Caps won. That's a good night.

Good Morning All. Whew! A major cool front came through last night and it's 50° and overcast. Looks like .5" of rain in the gauge as well. High today only 63°, lower than the lows all last week. I did spend some time in the garden yesterday, Looks like the initial planting of lettuce is going to seed now. This cool spell may prolong the picking time for the second planting made about three weeks later. Everything else looks good.
Out in the train shed, I resumed painting details and Preiser people who are always on standby. I must remember to take a picture of some of these motorcycles that I have been working on.
OK, detail question. Many kits that I have gotten over the last 35 years have wooden barrels in them. Other than the occasional "rain barrel" in a farm setting, I really don't have any ideas what to do with all of them. Any suggestions?

Johnny - Regarding the wheel gauge adjustment, I assume that you already have an NMRA gauge to check. All of the diesels that I own have half-axles with a plastic gear in the center. Simply twisting and pushing/pulling will make the adjustment, depending on which way you need to go. Always check for free bearing movement after making the adjustment...you may have to adjust the other side instead. Chet already answered regarding the frog/rail height. A small file will generally be enough to fix that. Checking the wheel gauge is easy so do that first. You should do that anyway. My experience with Atlas turnouts (I have over 120 of them) is that maybe 5% need some kind of adjustment, but the price is right and I don't mind.
Chet - Good luck with the bowling.
Garry - I agree with you on "trap and release". I do that with all critters...rats excluded!
Joe -
I might add that I have on occasion slipped in a set of 36" wheels on Athearn BB Freight cars to attain proper coupler height, without using a Kadee washer.
I discovered that by accident as well. I have since done that on cars that should have had 36" to begin with.
Curt - Great progress.
Sherrel - By the way, I like the quote in your signature.

PAUSE - Until forum gets back on line so I don't lose this post! This happens on a regular basis for me. Usually about this time of day, I lose this forum for 6-8 minutes.

Ken (D&J) - Sorry to hear of your cat's demise.
Eric - Looking good. Sure glad to hear that at least some things are returning to normal and modeling is coming back into your life. You never really posted, but if you did I missed it, but were all of the treatments successful?

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

OK, detail question. Many kits that I have gotten over the last 35 years have wooden barrels in them. Other than the occasional "rain barrel" in a farm setting, I really don't have any ideas what to do with all of them. Any suggestions?

Stick them in a gondola.
Pile them outside of a bar or brewery.

I can think of several other possibilities and they all have to do with beer.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good morning all, 56 and sunny. Turkeys are back at it this morning, one Tom and at least 5 girls. Lookin pretty good for him.

Good morning, peeps. Another 45°F, and cloudy outside at the moment but may be a bit sunny today..hopefully.

Here is a cool train but may be static as well but very beautiful. A
Krupp K5(E) ‘Leopold’ railway gun and BR-52 ‘Kriegslokomotive’

Kriegslokomotive.jpg

It took this kid 14 months to build this after high school before he went to West Point... wow!

Eric .... Glad to see you are able to work on models again.

Terry .... Thanks for your wisdom. "The price of a good pet includes a broken heart in the end." Well said.

Willie .... We would not feel right using poison; so we acquired a trap for Chip & Dale along with their little pals.

Everybody: ... Happy Model Railroading.

Ken I'm so sorry for your loss. I know first hand how close we get with our furry friends. At least now you have some closure. Maybe down the road another rescue cat would be a good idea. They need you as much as we need them. God be with you my friend.

Lots more to reply to and lots more to say, but I am up against the clock and the clock has no mercy. We have opening day ceremonies for baseball and light rain to make it interesting. Oh well thank God I can participate.

Have a great day Everybody!

Louis - Quote: Lots more to reply to and lots more to say, but I am up against the clock and the clock has no mercy. We have opening day ceremonies for baseball and light rain to make it interesting. Oh well thank God I can participate.

Same here today - except for the rain; it's non existant once again and going to be a hot one!

Getting ready to go to see the 'Lake Elsnore Storm' baseball game with g-son today. His team (10 year olds') gets to take the field during the before game festivities. Should be a fun day!

Ken in VA - condolences on the kitty! I've lost a few myself over the years and it always hurts like hell.

Eric - great to see your getting your finger dexterity back and getting some modeling done!

Terry - I'm glad "Richard" has left your company for good!

Sherrell - I'm all too familiar with that procedure! My GI doc was having me come back every 4 years because he always found a non-cancerous polyp. Same result last summer, but this time he said "See you in 10 years!" [No complaint from me!:D] I'm betting the insurance company got stricter about covering routine screenings that didn't seem necessary...

Chet - I was reminded of you when I was making my lunch with Easter Sunday leftovers!:p

BigLunch.jpg

Curt - Your terminal office building looks fantastic! Wood kits are still uncharted territory for me...

I was burned-out on mrr for awhile, plus overwhelmed by day job pressures and yard work that needs doin'. But the rain has precluded any outdoor activity for today, so I guess I'll start putting in some natural-looking terrain around my trackwork. Been procrastinating on scenery for years, gotta face this monster head-on and tackle it!

Afternoon All,

Hot today with the humidity increasing. We may get some rain tomorrow. This April has been the driest on record since the late 1800's which is why we are having all the brush fires. Earlier today was not so good. I woke up around 7 AM for a bathroom break, but when I stood up the room stated spinning. I got nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat. It subsided after about a minute and I went back to bed and slept until 10:30 AM. I got up but felt wrung out, although I slept soundly last night. I went back to bed at noon and got up at 2:30 feeling good. I hope I can sleep tonight!

I ordered my next kit from GC Laser. It will replace my plastic yard office. I should finish my current one tomorrow.

VA Ken- I am very sorry for your loss of Sean. I know it hurts.

Eric- Great to see you modeling and posting. I am happy for you that your hands are better.

Sherrel- Cut them in half and use the bottoms as pans in your outhouses! LOL.:eek:

Tony- Cool picture. He really has talent.

Ken- Thanks. The scenery gets easier as you do it. Believe me, I have done mine several times!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello, fellow modelers! Been quite a while since I've been on here, other than a quick check to glance at what was happening. One of the advertisements that popped up after my absence was for railroad construction: http://holubarconstruction.com/?utm...paign=Design&gclid=CJSPkfqPudMCFQ-RaQodmwoNcg. At first take, I thought it was for a layout building service of which I've seen several.

I've been very busy with work, which is a good thing and now summer is just around the corner! I've got one more refuel outage to finish, then I'll get the summer off. TWO MORE YEARS TILL I RETIRE! Feels like it will never get here.

I know several have had serious issues and I hope that all have a good resolution. If I was on the laptop, I would take the time to address them separately but the virtual keyboard on my Kindle is not the most user friendly.

I plan on trying to get on here a lot more often but when the overtime starts for the outage, I will be on less often. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Good evening fellas!

Outside activities were all cancelled today due to rain. :( So the 1st half of the day I was SWMBO's slave. Put up new floor moldings in the bathroom, caulked the vanity and tub, hung towel racks, curtain rods, and hung a mirror in the other bathroom.
The afternoon was spent disassembling 2 Athearn SW7s, complete down to the truck gears. Stripped the frames, painted the frames, trucks and wheels. Cleaned all the gears, lube and reassembled the trucks. Now they wait for painted shells. Then I spent 2 hours cleaning up the workbench and computer table, then another 2 dusting and vacuuming the basement . All for SWMBO's Mom's 75 birthday surprise party next weekend. Basement has been grandson proofed (at least for #s 3,4, & 5. 1 & 2 know better. Now, with a cold brown bottle I can relax.

KenL I'll trade you, I'll do an equal number of hours of scenery work, If you can come up here and work out a doable track plan for me to satisfy the most of my givens and druthers.

VAKen
Sorry to hear of your loss. I know it hurts, and I'm dreading it myself. Midnight has gotten past his inability to keep food down, for now. We're not sure what afflicted him, as the other 2 are fine. But he's almost 18 and diabetic. (2 injections of Lantus a day, blood sugar studies every 6 weeks) I kid that he has 1 foot in the grave and 1 on a banana peel, but I know it's gonna hurt when he goes. When I had my stroke he slept on my side of the bed every night I was gone, and didn't leave my side when I came home until I was well enough to walk unassisted.

Eric You go man! Keep them hands movin ,everyday!! Knowing what you've been through, you continue to amuse and amaze us! :cool:

Terry, how was a "reduced stress" Friday??

BOB! Damn glad to see ya!

Tomorrow, I'm going to the new location for the B&O Historical Society, they are having an open house at 5745 Bartholow Road in Eldersburg MD. The site is formerly an old elementary school, and literally a hop, skip, and jump from my work location. Literally, less than a mile away. KenL, Louis, wanna meet up sometime between 10 and 3? I am currently a member of the Western Maryland Railway Historical Society (A 40 minute drive) Hope they don't hold that against me! :rolleyes:

Here's a few shots a friend took yesterday, before the rains came.

18056810_10155381408929668_3314249369212631609_n.jpg
18010948_10155381409014668_6771615154744237714_n.jpg
18034041_10155381408944668_8968745537289275280_n.jpg

Time for another cold one! L8ter fellas!

Here's a neat manipulated photo I found on another forum. I know nothing about it, just thought it worth showing.
e828bb3fbf4c772d8e48f27c0235caf3.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good morning everyone, at Jeffreys' Dinner.

Cool this morning here in Central Calif., at about 48* and a bit moist out.

I went to my Dr's office to get the results of my last blood draw from a little over a week ago. I had been taking 125 mcg of Thyroid med but was still not feeling like I had the energy level I should have. So I decided to break the 50 mcg pills in half and take the additional 25 mcg to see what happened? I did feel like I had more energy and the Dr/PA told me I was still a bit low and I should keep taking the additional 25 to see if it would bring me up to where I should be? I need to get another blood draw come 6-01-2017. I also find that I need to drink a lot more water rather than so much coffee.

As far as having a bit of a scare, I was down at the road but in on my entrance, back about 10 ft. from the road and doing some weed eating on about a 5ft high bank that was thickly over grown with weeds and blocking the view when I went to turn onto the two lane road for me as well as for the neighbor. The bank has about a 60* angle to it on my side and I had my boots on so I had fairly good traction but maintaining my balance was a bit touchy and sure enough I started to slip down and kept trying to maintain my footing but couldn't and reached the bottom and fell back on my back with the weed eater still held out over me like I had been holding it. One or two cars passed by but I doubt they saw what happened but all I could do is laugh thinking how funny that must have looked. Any way I got back up continued weed eating but from the neighbors side which a more gentle slope and got thing finished and then did along the road in front of the bank on the Right side of my entrance. Anyway after that and then walking about 350 back up to the house I was pretty well beat!

Afternoon All,

Hot today with the humidity increasing. We may get some rain tomorrow. This April has been the driest on record since the late 1800's which is why we are having all the brush fires. Earlier today was not so good. I woke up around 7 AM for a bathroom break, but when I stood up the room stated spinning. I got nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat. It subsided after about a minute and I went back to bed and slept until 10:30 AM. I got up but felt wrung out, although I slept soundly last night. I went back to bed at noon and got up at 2:30 feeling good. I hope I can sleep tonight!

I ordered my next kit from GC Laser. It will replace my plastic yard office. I should finish my current one tomorrow.

VA Ken- I am very sorry for your loss of Sean. I know it hurts.

Eric- Great to see you modeling and posting. I am happy for you that your hands are better.

Sherrel- Cut them in half and use the bottoms as pans in your outhouses! LOL.:eek:

Tony- Cool picture. He really has talent.

Ken- Thanks. The scenery gets easier as you do it. Believe me, I have done mine several times!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Your situation sounds a bit concerning to say the least especially having a bit of virtiago. Being a former paramedic you should know the possible symptoms so be cautious. Ok?

Good Morning All. Whew! A major cool front came through last night and it's 50° and overcast. Looks like .5" of rain in the gauge as well. High today only 63°, lower than the lows all last week. I did spend some time in the garden yesterday, Looks like the initial planting of lettuce is going to seed now. This cool spell may prolong the picking time for the second planting made about three weeks later. Everything else looks good.
Out in the train shed, I resumed painting details and Preiser people who are always on standby. I must remember to take a picture of some of these motorcycles that I have been working on.

PAUSE - Until forum gets back on line so I don't lose this post! This happens on a regular basis for me. Usually about this time of day, I lose this forum for 6-8 minutes.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Say Willie: Barrel can be use in many different areas, loads for flat cars and low sided gondolas, around different businesses as man thing were shipped in barrels, like smaller barrels were usually kegs of cut square nails and larger barrels held different food goods.

I found Sean. Apparently he died a couple days ago. He went and hid in a culvert pipe a couple houses down. A strong thunderstorm passed through here about an hour ago and after that, my neighbor was walking his dog when he spotted the cat as he had been washed out of the pipe. He came and got me. I went back there with him and it was Sean. He died with his eyes wide open. Not the worse loss in my life, but still, he was always at my door in the morning and in the evening when I came home, waiting for me.

Say Ken-D&J: Very sorry to hear about Sean, pets do become part of us and a loss is hard to get over. My sympathy.

Garry: Be careful when dealing with chipmunks...remember what they did to Donald Duck :rolleyes:

It's almost noon, still 51°, cloudy and damp. This is what Spring is really like in Jersey. Happy Friday. Looking forward to tomorrow, the other ace wrap comes off the arm, and I will be able to shower without the garbage bag.

Stupid Question of the day: Why are the crew of the "Second In" Engine / Truck Company referred to as "First Responders", when by definition, the come in second?

Say Borris/Joe: Glad to hear things are progressing well for you and that the surgery was sucessful.
As to your question, possibly the best answer is the silly English language and it nonsensical usages like what your point out!

I hope all have a great Sunday

Back