Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Good Morning y'all. 50° and cloudy with an East wind.

Last night's playoff game between the Washington Capitals and Toronto Maple Leafs, was the most exciting hockey game I've watched in quite a while. Caps move on to play Pittsburgh in the second round.

Louis: Everything is going well, thank you. There was an article in the Rogers, (Canadian Cable Network), web page, concerning the "negative" effect the Maple leaf' success was having on the Raptors and Blue Jays. Bonk! The problem with the Jays is the locker room cancer, Bautista. It's no accident that no one else in the Major leagues wanted to sign him. BTW: Still seems strange to see Matty Weiters in a Nationals sweater.

I have not been following the activity here as much as normal. Sorry if I missed something.

Morning Troops!
Temps all over the place here lately: 95 on Sat, 81 on Sun, and forcast 72 today. Those couple 95 days were a wake up call that summer is coming.

Ken in VA- I agree with Louis: I can't tell you what to do, but in my case .. after I lost my lab 10 years ago .. within a couple months I found another to occupy the empty feeling that I had. Still really miss that Lab, but in a happy way thinking about the love she gave everyone.

Louis - You crack me up! That's it .. They need a "foul ball" rule in golf. I threw my clubs in the trash can (at the golf course in ABQ) some 35 years ago. Never did enjoy the game .. just played because some friends always wanted to play. They were way to serious - used to drive me bonkers! I broke a hundred several times - sometimes on the first nine!

Chet - Your grade crossing looks very good. I like the auto you found as well. That Burma Shave is a classic - also brought back memories of sitting in my dad's lap and steering his P/U.

BBob= it's good to see you back on here. You were missed. I agree .. the next two years will go by pretty fast! Then they will fly by faster than you want!

Back from the cabin...and now back to the model railroad. Thank goodness I'm retired and don't have to go to work this morning.

Johnny: Nice items from the past and Chet is right they should be framed and hung in the train room.

Ken: Maybe your feline friend is expecting and looking for a home for her litter?

Going to finish installing my two Tortoise switch machines today or at least try.

Checking the web for sites on how to post videos on U Tube. Did a practice video last week, no Academy Awards for me just yet.

That's all.

Greg

VA Ken, I've had a couple of bad beds in motels! At a Super 8 in the Quad Cities, IL the mattress was like a concrete patio! I had to get a different room.

Willie, I've practiced for quite a few summers and am getting pretty good at it!

Got everything (well most everything) done at home, now I need to take a shower and hit the road! Everyone stay safe!

Good morning, 62 and headed for 68. A little breezy, but a very nice day here!

Hey Bob, I would think the best way to appreciate a new mattress is to sleep on a pile of rocks for one night. I'm sure the new mattress will have a whole new feeling after that.

Reminds of the sleeping "mattress" they had at the man camp in Williston, ND. They were like plastic stuffed with 3" of sand. They weighed about 75 pounds. We were so tired we slept anyway.

have a pleasant afternoon---

Greg,
My cat wasn't pregnant. He was male and neutered. He was only a couple years old and suddenly quit eating. The last I saw of him was last Tuesday night when he was laying in the woods and didn't want food or drink. I found him Friday after a heavy rain wash his body out of a culvert pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken:

Sorry about your losing your pet. Pets are great and I lost my Katie several years ago and have a picture of her on my computer desk. Great dog and best friend.

Greg

Last night's playoff game between the Washington Capitals and Toronto Maple Leafs, was the most exciting hockey game I've watched in quite a while. Caps move on to play Pittsburgh in the second round.

Louis: Everything is going well, thank you. There was an article in the Rogers, (Canadian Cable Network), web page, concerning the "negative" effect the Maple leaf' success was having on the Raptors and Blue Jays. Bonk! The problem with the Jays is the locker room cancer, Bautista. It's no accident that no one else in the Major leagues wanted to sign him. BTW: Still seems strange to see Matty Weiters in a Nationals sweater.

Boris
I remember an article I read a few years ago when Bautista had his break out year. It talked about why the Orioles let him get away. Exactly what you said, "bad attitude" he is fine when everything is going good, but when things go bad he has a give up attitude, starts pointing fingers and whining about everything.

I did not want to see Wieters go, but in Buck we trust. His replacement has been spraying line drives everywhere, his arm and quick release are amazing! That is important because most of our pitchers don't do a good job of controlling base runners. One thing I did not like about Wieters was he propensity to call for breaking balls from right handed pitchers to left handed hitters with 2 strikes. You can sneak them past early in the count but most hitters become defensive with 2 strikes and you can react to off speed stuff better than you can a well placed fastball. Not to mention the breaking ball from a right hander is breaking towards a left hander.

That reminds me of Mike Cuellar and his screw ball. He had a breaking pitch to break away from every hitter, right handed or left. You rarely saw a ball hit hard. I loved watching him pitch, especially with Brooks, Belanger, Grich and Powell in the infield and Blair, Bumbry and Coggins in the outfield. That was the best defensive team I ever saw and Cuellar took full advantage of it!

.. after I lost my lab 10 years ago .. within a couple months I found another to occupy the empty feeling that I had. Still really miss that Lab, but in a happy way thinking about the love she gave everyone.

Louis - You crack me up! That's it .. They need a "foul ball" rule in golf. I threw my clubs in the trash can (at the golf course in ABQ) some 35 years ago. Never did enjoy the game .. just played because some friends always wanted to play. They were way to serious - used to drive me bonkers! I broke a hundred several times - sometimes on the first nine!

Sherrel
I'm with you on your thoughts about pets. Time turns those sad feelings to thoughts of happy memories. They can never be replaced, but the new relationship is special in and of itself.

Hopefully we will be reunited with our pets in heaven. If they let me in my slice of heaven will be like a miniature zoo!

Golf is supposed to be fun! Next time you are in the mid-Atlantic let me know and I will dust off my $49 Costco golf clubs I bought 25 years ago and you and I can show these goof-balls how to have fun playing golf. I count every stroke, but I don't get crazy if I am not doing good. A couple of good shots is all I need to make me happy. The little time and effort I have put into golf I would be crazy to expect to be good.

Afternoon All,

Hot here today and nothing different in view for a long time. We are starting to pay for not having cold winters and all that goes with them. I finished the area around the building on the layout. I decided to put it in at more of an angle than I had planned on so it makes it a little more visible. The windows and doors started out as gray plastic. I am really happy with how they turned out. Looking at the calendar I figure I put in between 15-20 hours on the building.

Eric- I use a metal square to ensure the walls are square when putting the walls together.

Justin- Congrats on the pay raise. That is always a nice thing.

Johnny- I saw a Beach Boys concert in the 90's while stationed in HI. It was a great concert and they are one of my favorite bands.

20170424_112152_zpsflfklh2r.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - that building looks really sharp. The long hours paid off. Post a photo of it when it's set into the layout. So you would have seen the Beach Boys when Carl Wilson was still alive - wish I had caught one of their concerts back then. Carl was a good rock guitarist and excellent singer.

Curt & Johnny: I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and have seen them in concert several times since 1980. I have most of their original, early released albums just played twice to record the songs on reel to reel. Most people don't know that Jan & Dean sang in some of the Beach Boys records (until some worried about royalties) and Glen Campbell was part of the group for awhile.

Jan and Dean, the Hondels and others sounded great as well.

Memories...Surf City, Little Duce Coupe, California Girls and others....!

It's really nice having the nearly full use of both hands back.
I think I have pretty much finished the bank and general store unit now.
I may change the smoke stacks from black to a steel or aluminum color and then put some rust weathering under them.
I don't know yet.
In the mean time, I'm just enjoying how well this one turned out!!

I figure it ain't too bad from a feller with stage 4-c cancer and has had at least one stroke and maybe several small ones.

E.
bankstore3.jpgbankstore1.jpg

No Curt,I nothing particular in mind. I'm still freestyling. I may end up with a Dairy Queen Grill & Chill store next door to this thing when it's all said and done?
Just never know. I sure don't.
I need to start thinking about a table and track plans.
I won't re-build the layout I have now since I have new real estate to work with. And..... and I'm kind of in a different life now.
This cancer shit is/has changed me so many times in such a short period of time..... it just ain't right.
To be honest I'm surprised trains are still of interest. This stuff does really funny-strange to the psyche - at least it has mine.
E.

Sigh...
I ordered an item through Amazon, which went from Ontario, CA to Charlotte, NC. It then left Charlotte, via USPS. It is now in East Point, Georgia...

Tuning in for a moment ... Curt - your colors work very well on your addition and build. Really like how it turned out!

Eric - nice job ... are those wood, or plastic kits. Either way - they look good! Nice work.

Tuning in for a moment ... Curt - your colors work very well on your addition and build. Really like how it turned out!

Eric - nice job ... are those wood, or plastic kits. Either way - they look good! Nice work.

Thanks Brother Sherrel.
It's a styrene plastic kit. I tried several wood colors of paint before settling on that.

Just saw Youse Guys later posts ... Eric - It took just about one year after I finished Chemo before I started feeling halfway human again. Many, many days I did not care if I woke up or not! Considering what you have had done to your body - YOU are miles ahead of where I was .. but, YES, you will continue to go through many phases for quite a while!

Back