Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curt- The snow is all gone in the valleys here. We're at 62 degrees with sunny skies and my glaciers around the driveway are gone. Think the guys in the northeast can use the shovel.

Finished up and in the mail to KEN in VA:
Estimated 750 needed .. 922 made (there is some culling needed)
tie stock2.jpg

Anyone need some redwood ho tie stock? side variations range .090 to .110 (mosts are square)
Postage costs only for the stock - If cut to tie length 1 cent each - special length cuts 2 cents each.
Bundled length is 36 ho feet times over 100 (good load for a couple flats)
Total USPS is 6 oz. in padded envelope
tie stock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe - What's wrong with Shinohara ?

Chet: Wrong? Absolutely nothing, other than they discontinued selling code 70 switches with #5 frog, when WKW took over distribution. I am using Shinohara as well as Micro Engineering on my new build. No one does a code 70 #5. I was just wishing Ken good luck with his new work, not my usual cynicism :rolleyes:.

Erik, this is for your next trip to the hospital:
ccf858f7599e91a51d0873e05529beca.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Hiya gang!

Beady, that's HORRIBLE :eek: (horribly funny that is).

Well, the snowstorm is over, but the fun isn't!!

[video]https://www.facebook.com/craig.oleszewski/videos/10210994027101126/[/video]

Louis
It was Belushi in Animal House, 1941 was funny too, but not a classic like Animal House.

WILLIE, Belushi said it, I didn't. ;)

DOH!!!

Right you are Karl. I remember now, what an inspiring speech!

Thanks for setting me straight, those years are a bit blurry in my mind.

A photograph of what remains of the power plant that powered the streetcars in Baltimore after the fire of 1904. Baltimore, Maryland. c1904
221674_213372115353812_160952_n.jpg

I am on temporary duty on the south side of Richmond, VA today. Lots of good topics in the MRF this morning.
I found the fine ballast that I need to finish ballasting my yard at Walt's hobby and Health food store in Petersburg, VA.
I have an ops session coming up on 25 March. I'll finish ballasting the yard then start cleaning things up.

Good Morning Fellow Modelers. 52° and overcast today. Next ten days are forecast to get into the 80's, excepting today at 70°. Time to make sure that the AC's are ready for the season.
Another day of just running trains in the train shed. As Chet noted, that's what they are there for. I'll get back to modeling one of these days.

Johnny - Alternating the radii of the curves really works best if you start with the 22" leading into and out of the 18". I learned this on my first layout many years ago. Good to hear about your power loss being resolved. There are issues with Atlas turnouts, but power loss is not normally one of them. I use Atlas mainly for budgetary reasons, and with some minor fine-tuning, they work great for me.
Joe - "Stella" is what I read the weather gurus were calling the storm that hit the East Coast. I didn't hear it on the Weather Channel as I don't pay them much attention either.
Beady - Those are rather unusual looking switches (turnouts), with four rails moving. What's the story?
Tony/Johnny - My wife did better not knowing what the train budget was! Not that it mattered, as she has friends whose hobby is raising horses and she knows what they spend. And they can't use them every day or at night without headlights.
Terry - That helmet won't do any good at all it the shovel handle hits a tree.
Karl - I barely remember Animal House, much less an individual line...it was actually the last movie that I watched in a movie theater.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, everyone. 38 and overcast here in SW MO, heding for 52 today. Nice weekend coming up, sunny in the 70's. I'll have a big cup of regular and some scrambled eggs, really crisp bacon, and some pancakes - yeah, I'm HONGRY today!! :)

Chet - yay, Canada finally closed their back door. Time to put away the snowplow and roll out the riding mower?

Not much news from the trainroom - Last night I ripped up the roadbed on that other cantankerous curve (off a switch coming into the train yard), cleaned it up, recalculated the radius of the curve, and lay new roadbed. Tonight I'll spike down the track. This had better work :) Also working on that Walthers two-bay loco barn. When they tell you to "glue all the walls to the base at the same time" how on God's earth do they expect you to do that. And to make matters worse, one of the walls has a slight warp in it - didn't notice it until too late.

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Also working on that Walthers two-bay loco barn. When they tell you to "glue all the walls to the base at the same time" how on God's earth do they expect you to do that. And to make matters worse, one of the walls has a slight warp in it - didn't notice it until too late.

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Welcome to the world of Walther's instructions!

Willie

Good Morning. 26 and sunny, warming up to 35.

Joe - "Stella" is what I read the weather gurus were calling the storm that hit the East Coast. I didn't hear it on the Weather Channel as I don't pay them much attention either.

Willie: OK, gotcha. I did see a reference to the storm by name, on the ESPN web site, related to the postponement of the Devils - Jets Game, at the Rock. That of course, prompted some good natured snarkiness from the good citizens of Winnipeg, who couldn't believe that we here in NJ were such woosies.:rolleyes:

Also working on that Walthers two-bay loco barn. When they tell you to "glue all the walls to the base at the same time" how on God's earth do they expect you to do that. And to make matters worse, one of the walls has a slight warp in it - didn't notice it until too late.

Raincoat2: Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Walthers structure kits. The instructions are written with the assumption that the person building the kit, is either an experienced Master Model Builder who never needs instructions, a mind reader or a psychic. Most of the Cornerstone kits come with extra parts, that you should save for future projects.

Louis: Neat picture of the burned out power plant. That was one massive fire.

Good Morning Fellow Modelers. 52° and overcast today. Next ten days are forecast to get into the 80's, excepting today at 70°. Time to make sure that the AC's are ready for the season.
Another day of just running trains in the train shed. As Chet noted, that's what they are there for. I'll get back to modeling one of these days.

Johnny - Alternating the radii of the curves really works best if you start with the 22" leading into and out of the 18". I learned this on my first layout many years ago. Good to hear about your power loss being resolved. There are issues with Atlas turnouts, but power loss is not normally one of them. I use Atlas mainly for budgetary reasons, and with some minor fine-tuning, they work great for me.
Beady - Those are rather unusual looking switches (turnouts), with four rails moving. What's the story?
Tony/Johnny - My wife did better not knowing what the train budget was! Not that it mattered, as she has friends whose hobby is raising horses and she knows what they spend. And they can't use them every day or at night without headlights.
Terry - That helmet won't do any good at all it the shovel handle hits a tree.
Karl - I barely remember Animal House, much less an individual line...it was actually the last movie that I watched in a movie theater.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie - thanks for the confirmation of the order of radii for the turnouts. I don't remember if anyone mentioned that, but as I was working with it I saw that it "looked" right to start with the 22-inch. I think what happened on these two curves are that I just pulled the roadbed a little too tight and then the track followed suit. Live and learn. Shouldn't happen any more - butif it does, I won't say anything on this forum - gotta save face somehow, you know :)

Good Morning. 26 and sunny, warming up to 35.

Willie: OK, gotcha. I did see a reference to the storm by name, on the ESPN web site, related to the postponement of the Devils - Jets Game, at the Rock. That of course, prompted some good natured snarkiness from the good citizens of Winnipeg, who couldn't believe that we here in NJ were such woosies.:rolleyes:

Raincoat2: Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Walthers structure kits. The instructions are written with the assumption that the person building the kit, is either an experienced Master Model Builder who never needs instructions, a mind reader or a psychic. Most of the Cornerstone kits come with extra parts, that you should save for future projects.

Louis: Neat picture of the burned out power plant. That was one massive fire.

Beachie - Actually the Walthers instructions are not too bad. But to do something like gluing all the walls to the base at the same time almost requires you to create a jig to hold stuff together, especially if one wall is a little warped. I've got to learn to open my kit boxes as soon as they arrive to check out the parts - I've had a couple of kits (not just Walthers, either) with some warped parts that I didn't discover until months after the kit arrived. Hey, here's a question for Everyone: with a warped kit piece, does it work to warm it up and press it flat - or is that wishful thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back