Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis - It's good that you were able to reconnect yourself. You definitely live a more "high-tech" life than I choose, judging by what you posted. Out here in the "boonies", we consider DSL to be "high-tech".:rolleyes: At least you didn't slip and fall.

Willie all I did was reroute the power to an extension cord and duct table to keep the weather out. The dedicated power source had frozen over and tripped the breaker. I did not do the permanent fix yesterday. Instead I took a 3 hour nap :)

Don't worry about me falling down. I tossed my tool bag down the steps before going down. I wanted to have two hands available to hold the rail rather than no hands when I fell!

My family is the impetus for the all the high-tech. They have and use every kind of imaginable device. I'd be happy with a good outside antenna and dial up. Especially now that broadcast TV has gone digital.

A properly configured outside antenna should enable me to pickup the DC channels along with the Baltimore Channels. Now that they are all digital that would give me about 25 channels for free! I listen to NPR on the Radio more than I watch TV even that is digital and also broadcasts the BBC World Service or my wife's favorite all Classical Music. http://wypr.org/

Hmm Now that I think of it I am becoming spoiled by high-tech gizmos, On-Demand, internet, wireless connections etc. I even listen to NPR online when I am at home. Except for when I am outside at the grill with my little AM/FM transistor radio. That radio is the one device I could not live without, but to be honest I do enjoy all the others.

In reality I suppose my family is just my excuse for spending $250 a month on Comcast gadgets.

Time for me to slowly get ready for work. I'm only working a few hours in the mid-day sun to avoid the really low temperatures and wind chill.

See Willie, I am learning :)

Tony - I have a cousin in New Hampshire, retired Air Force - we grew up in the same town out on Long Island - and yesterday he said there was already a half a foot on the ground and more expected all evening. He waits until the snow is over, gets out his snowblower and clears his driveway, then heads out for skiing. He says mother nature owes him a fun day on the slopes after working his snowblower all morning :)

Montreal at 6 this morning. City was pretty much snow-free on Monday...:D
IMG_2172.JPG

Good morning, y'all. Beware the Ides of March. It's worse than when Friday the 13th comes on a Friday. Just ask Mr Caesar :rolleyes:.

We have sun and 20 ° at present, with snow showers on tap later.

Ken in VA: Shinohara, OK. Good luck with them.

Willie: Not for nothing, what's a "Stella"? Is that what the Weather Channel was calling the Nor'easter? I never watch those hypesters, The NWS and the local TV didn't refer to it by a name.

It's still quite windy, but other than a small patch of frozen slush on my driveway, everything is nice, although I wish it stayed warm. All of the spring bulbs are frosted.

There was a lengthy article last evening, explaining how and why weather forecasting of storms is not an exact science. Essentially, the computer models cannot factor in such variables as air and surface temperatures, ocean water temperature, etc. Apparently a 15 mile deviation in the storms path changed the whole nature of the storm. Well, it was an elaborate excuse, but it sounded plausable :confused:.

Have a great day!

Good morning boys and girls! 20°, clear and calm.

1bbd0df4385ca5fd35a0abd60b818150.jpg

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good morning. We're at 47 degrees this morning and did hot the 60 degree mark yesterday after the sun came out. Hope those effected by the east coast storm survived in good shape.

Toot - Enjoyed the video you posted. A nice way to start off the day.

Louis -
I think my little garden tractor could do a better job than the plow you posted. I don't do shovels. There's no seat on them.

Willie -
I end up just running trains a lot of the time when I go down to the train room to work on a project. Nothing wrong with that. I figure that the layout was built to run trains.

Joe - What's wrong with Shinohara ?

Ray - Another excellent looking scene. Well done as usual.

Johnny - Glad that you found out where the problem was. I made every effort to have as broad a radius as possible on the layout. I do have more room than some folks, but trains do look and operate so much better on broad curves.

Heard from relatives over in Deer Lodge yesterday and was todl that they has a earthquake at about 3.8. No damage, but just mother nature letting them know that she was still around. Quakes are fairly common out here and usually so small that you don't even notice them.

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis - I think my little garden tractor could do a better job than the plow you posted. I don't do shovels. There's no seat on them.

Chet I don't think even Kubota makes a tractor small enough for my home. If somebody did make one small enough I know I would not fit on it! I did not have to shovel, my son made sure it was done so I would not have to! Thank God for my family!

Tony - I have a cousin in New Hampshire, retired Air Force - we grew up in the same town out on Long Island - and yesterday he said there was already a half a foot on the ground and more expected all evening. He waits until the snow is over, gets out his snowblower and clears his driveway, then heads out for skiing. He says mother nature owes him a fun day on the slopes after working his snowblower all morning :)
Yup we got 20 inches that was expected but fortunately did not loose power. Yes I remember you saying you from the big city. Like your buddy, mother nature gave me something cool for blowing the snow..... A warm house to relax in and a wife that know all of our money is now going into buying train stuff....... DANG!!! I hate it when I fall into a dream state on the keyboard..hehehe!!

Well clear day here, removed all the snow and it looks like ill have another cup of Joe, hey Flo..... Flo? OK, got to get my own I guess. She's just like my wife.

Yup we got 20 inches that was expected but fortunately did not loose power. Yes I remember you saying you from the big city. Like your buddy, mother nature gave me something cool for blowing the snow..... A warm house to relax in and a wife that know all of our money is now going into buying train stuff....... DANG!!! I hate it when I fall into a dream state on the keyboard..hehehe!!

Well clear day here, removed all the snow and it looks like ill have another cup of Joe, hey Flo..... Flo? OK, got to get my own I guess. She's just like my wife.

Tony - That's not a dream state. I'm finding out these days, and most of the others on this forum will agree, I'm sure - - just build a "model railroad" line into your budget, and then put another line in there that says "any money left over goes for model rr stuff" :)

Sunny, but cold here.

Did a followup Thread this morning on my carpet square project. After lunch I need to install several more tiles under my work bench and I'm done. Fun project!

Then I'll run some track cleaning trains and switch cars to get them out of the way. (My way of operating.) I have two lead tracks going into the Saxeville Interchange and I use them to store locomotives while track cleaning.

That's all for now.

Greg

Louis
It was Belushi in Animal House, 1941 was funny too, but not a classic like Animal House.

WILLIE, Belushi said it, I didn't. ;)

Tony - That's not a dream state. I'm finding out these days, and most of the others on this forum will agree, I'm sure - - just build a "model railroad" line into your budget, and then put another line in there that says "any money left over goes for model rr stuff" :)
No problem, I was just joking (more to make you guys laugh) Johnny, but thanks for posting tho. Speaking of thanks, I read that info about Lima Locomotive Works, was really Cool Terry, thx for that.

Also, Warren Cowles was killed yesterday by the north bound train going to Springfield when he was removing snow from our city, it had no warning lights or signals so it must have been fast. He worked for DPW for 29 years. So sad, but it happens as we know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon Shop dwellers. Just letting you guys know I still exist. Been extremely busy, both at the day job and on my current scratchbuilding project - along with home-related chores. Haven't really been spending much time online.

Eric I'm glad to see that things are "looking up" for you once again, glad you escaped the nursing home.

Justin keep on posting those pix of the blue+yellow diesel models, I don't get to see very many of those anywhere else!

Afternoon All,

Cold here today. It was 44 F when I got up this morning. Spent about 90 minutes today working on the flats. At least the 48 stake pockets are finally glued on:). I think my Orlando trip is back on for tomorrow and I need to stop at the LHS to pick up some strip styrene for my additions to the flats.

Ray- Beautiful work.

Sherrel- Nice job for VA Ken.

VA Ken- Looking good.

Eric- Great to hear from you. It's great to hear things are moving in a positive way with your treatment and apartment.

Toot- Great video.

Chet- Good to see you enjoying sports in the snow.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back