Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently finished replacing all the Atlas turnouts I had in my classification yard. As you said, they are junk and ya can't solder to the frog. You can only use a big and gaudy nut and screw which looks just wonderful, sorta like the big snap solenoid to throw the turnout.

Start%202_zps6x05jffq.png

WELL HELLO THERE FELLAS!!!!
As you can see I'm back.
I'm not certain what had or ordeal I had been through the lst time I posted.
It has been discovered, because of some nearly constant complaining by me, that I have had a stroke at some point VERY recently. Possibly a lot of mini-strokes. I am going thru a ton of tests to figure that now. Hopefully, tomorrow's brain MRI is the last!!
I am also only have 3 more sessions away from being done with radiation therapy!!!!!

I think I had told about the nursing home they dropped me in. Well I took care of that and rented my own apartment here. That was finalized Friday in fact.
Time to drink some supper then a nap.

Obviously I now have a computer as well. Brand new touch screen laptop - really really nice!!
About $1800 nice to be sure.

Well here I am and dam happy to be back.
A bit worse for wear but I'm here snd I'll take it by golly!!

E

Welcome back! We were just talking about sex.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good to see you communicating again E, I also had a small stroke about 2001, wasn't detected till some time later when I went under some scans. Was told that the brain will create a bypass of the damaged area. Have been on Plavix since to thin the blood. The fact that you are writing coherently and able to make important decisions about yourself is a very good sign. Hope the end result of the Chemo also is positive.

Welcome back! We were just talking about sex.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I always think it's great to have one part that still works.

I've also just realised what might be causing this itchy rash that appeared recently, didn't think it could be caused by something written.

I doubt that. That loco has been at the top of my "hitlist" since around 1988. I've managed to amass 15 other Maryland Midland engines of various styles and vintages, @50 cement hoppers lettered for the MMID, several other pieces of rolling stock, plus scratchbuilding most of the Entertrainmant Line dinner train that was once on the MMID. The center cab Whitcomb was always the "crown jewel" of the group, and more of less completes that side of my collection.

How does this jibe with my Western Maryland layout? Easy, they ran on the same tracks, and I do have a Flux Capacitor.

1fe0d2ec-6cd6-4c7e-b83c-32e10f9038af_1.8a5f69e6fd3c65a7ea70c47c4119af99.jpeg

:cool::rolleyes:
Sounds like you have found the holy grail! The locomotive, not
the flux capacitor. Congratulations, again!

Welcome Back E!!!
Glad to hear from you, another stroke survivor! :cool:

" It aint over until we say its over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???"

Don't listen to Beady, I think he got his meds mixed up!!

Tootles!

Eric !.... Good to see you. ..... You have had your share of health adventures. ... Hopefully soon you will be okay again.

I could use some of those meds :rolleyes:. Good evening y'all. 26° and windy. It was quite a day, 2.64" of rain, high winds, even the sun made an appearance. Best of all, the Capitals won tonight.

Eric: Good to have you back.

Ray: Great scene. It's quite awesome.

Ken in VA: From your photo, I presume PECO c83?. Your ladder looks good.

Welcome Back E!!!
Glad to hear from you, another stroke survivor! :cool:

" It aint over until we say its over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???"

Tootles!
Ummm...

Never mind...

Another NZR steam excursion behind Ka942. This time in 2011 on the north island east coast, Napier-Gisborne line, shortly before it was closed due to washouts and slips in 2012 (stills at the end of the video). This was one of the most scenic and spectacular coastal routes in NZ with lots of tunnels/bridges including a 3 Km long tunnel. Shot from within the cab. Most of the scenery shots are from about the midway point with views down from the track to the South Pacific Ocean. One very unusual S bend approach into a short tunnel. If you're looking at the map of NZ this is the part on the north island that juts out on the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnLjUfx60IE

Good morning Everybody!

22 with 50% humidity and windy!!! it just feels nasty outside!

Karl I'm glad to see you remember 1941. I miss John Belushi

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning Crew. 42° and mostly cloudy skies here this morning. Another great day ahead, with the highs in the mid-60's. Then it warms up some more reaching the mid-80's by Sunday. Got an opportunity to mow again yesterday, even though we haven't had any rain. It will be a weekly thing now until mid-July when it tapers off.
Well yesterday, I ran trains and more trains. Just didn't feel inspired to do any modeling. Probably moved over 400 freight cars around, mostly from one end to the other of the layout; although I did run two locals and switched about 14 industries.

Louis - It's good that you were able to reconnect yourself. You definitely live a more "high-tech" life than I choose, judging by what you posted. Out here in the "boonies", we consider DSL to be "high-tech".:rolleyes: At least you didn't slip and fall.
Johnny - Did you try connecting power to the other side of the turnout? Normally you shouldn't have to, as Atlas turnouts have a built-in jumper. I don't have that problem and I have 110+ Atlas switches, but all of my locos have all wheel pick-up and the smallest is a GP35, so the plastic frog is not an issue.
Ray - Nice scene as usual. Stay warm.
Sherrel - Looks like some great progress on those bridge ties.
Karl -

He ain't the only one who got his meds mixed up! Germans????
Eric - Wow! What an update! I am glad that you are doing better though. Keep it up and you will be done with this soon.

A side note regarding the trailing diesel behind steam engines making runs on Class I railroads. My friend the BNSF engineer, told me that it had more to do with signals and communications than the need for power. Steamers don't have all of that electronic stuff installed.

Everybody have a great day. For all of you Stella survivors, stay safe and warm.

Willie

Good morning, everyone. 22 here in SW MO, heading for 42 today. The week's forecast has us in the 70's by Monday - go figure. Flurries for several hours yesterday but the ground has been so warm nothing stuck.

I'll have a big cup of regular and a chocolate croissant. In fact, I've got a box of four of those little chocolate delights right here at my desk. MOH and I stopped by the grand opening of a new natural foods grocery store here in town - opened at 6 a.m. :( so we checked it out on our way to work. We got there at 6:02 - - how do I know that, you ask? The car clock is burned into my bleary eyes!! Anyway, nice store, some prices good, some not so good. But they did have a nice little box of freshly-baked chocolate croissants to dunk in my coffee. Ah-h-h-h, life is good!! :)

Eric - Along with everyone else, I say WELCOME BACK!!! No more health adventures for a while, okay?

Willie - Last night the engine ran fine over that Atlas turnout, so maybe I just had a bad connection when I threw the switch. Still prefer Peco turnouts, though.

Modifying the radius made all the difference - now the engine runs fine around that curve. However (there's always a "however" isn't there) I found another curve that's doing the same thing to the engine wheels. At least I know what the solution is. When I was building this train yard I used Terry's suggestion of alternating 18" and 22" radii to make flextrack curves, and it works fine, except when I inadvertently make the turn too tight at the beginning. This train yard area should be the only place I run into this problem, simply because I'm cramped for room there. The rest of the layout has 22" up to 30" radius curves, so shouldn't be a problem.

So, let's see: four chocolate croissants divided by two cups of coffee - - no, wait - - one now, one in an hour, one at 10, and one for lunch - - rats, that doesn't leave any for this afternoon. Hmmm - maybe I can run back to that grocery store after lunch?!?! :)

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back