Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Good morning.Checking in briefly. 30 degrees now. Think I'll grab a quick cup and it's off to the shop.

My Buick has been consuming coolant slowly. I had to add to it twice in the past two months. The problem is the intake manifold. It is one of the weak points of the 3800 V-6 engine. The manifold is PLASTIC. There are actually two of them, an aluminum one with a plastic one on top.

Out to the shop. See ya later.

Don't you just love seeing plastic parts on an automobile engine? At one time our mobile patrol vehicles were Ford Escapes and the carburetor housings were manufactured out of plastic. Each vehicle needs replacements after about 35k miles.

Greg

The train show was great! I'll post a video or two, if the system will let me. Weird thing is, two of the three steamers I bought (inluding a ConCor Mallett) were from my LHS's booth; he normally has his stuff kind of piled up in the store, so I never saw these particular items before.

Nope. Getting a "network error" with the videos. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good morning.Checking in briefly. 30 degrees now. Think I'll grab a quick cup and it's off to the shop.

My Buick has been consuming coolant slowly. I had to add to it twice in the past two months. The problem is the intake manifold. It is one of the weak points of the 3800 V-6 engine. The manifold is PLASTIC. There are actually two of them, an aluminum one with a plastic one on top.

Out to the shop. See ya later.

Chet Don't be so quick to condemn that intake! :eek: I replaced the intake on the Impala (same engine) at 50K, and just before it hi 90K I started noticing a fluid loss in the bottle. Water pump was dry, radiator, hoses, intake all checked out ok. I kept checking, no leaks seen, even under a pressure test. I could smell it at times, but I couldn't find it Finally I day I saw it!!
3800 coolant leak.jpg
2 little plastic elbows at the passenger side end of the intake, feed and return water from the heater core would leak intermittently. After doing research the fix was aftermarket metal elbows (Autozone) with the stock sized GM O rings. The aftermarket O rings are a hair too small. The car is at 120K and hasn't lost any coolant since.
Hope this helps! :cool:

Well, got-er-done. It was in fact the intake manifold just as I suspected. The coolant ports were eroding at the gaskets. I got the upgraded unit and while disassembling it, found that the fuel metering valve which is operated by vacuum was also leaking allowing raw feul into the manifold. I called to town and managed to find one and my son was nice enough to pick it up and bring it out allowing me to continue to work on the car. Karl - the elbow you mentioned wasn't leaking, but when I ordered the parts, I did also order a metal replacement. I figured that if I was going to have everything apart that I would upgrade all of the parts. Ran the engine and got it up to operating temperature to make sure the thermostat was operating properly and that there were no air pockets in the cooling system and then put the lap top on it and checked to see if there were any codes. None came up. Also checked the compression and all cylinders were within 1 pound of spec. Not bad at all.

Time to sit down and watch some NASCAR.

Later.

Evening fellers. I saw myself at work today. Won't complain as it paid me time and a half for all the hours I worked. Willie it might be before my era but I won't complain as I'm a fan of it all. I just can't afford the steamers on the market today. I was going to leave a comment as I saw the DC and DCC discussion come up again. I'll leave it now though. I'm all about my MRC Tech 4. So much so I'm in the market for another one to replace the crappy Bachmann controller I have. I run DC on my layout and most likely will always run DC as I'm a lone engineer on my layout. The Tech 4 I have gives all the good performance I look for and them some. I've had it since 2007 or 2008. I can't really remember and I'm still intrigued by it's features. Momentum features which I enjoy really well. Especially when I'm doing stop and go switching on my layout. Even if I don't use that feature it gives me great slow speed performance that isn't even close to being as crappy as the train set controller I have. So all in all I'm pleased with my setup and most likely won't change it. Oh and ofcourse nothing got going with my layout today as work interfered. I hope y'all have a good evening.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Looks like a couple of Burke class destroyers. 102 is the USS Sampson, but I can't make out the number on the other one.

Lots of scrap metal on the track at Daytona in the ARCA race.

Good afternoon fellow Rail benders, Tie placers and Spike drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, I looks like you have a good group here at Jeffreys' Dinner this afternoon. I think I just have some coffee and a Apple Fritter with Cinnamon and Honey. Good for what ails you!

Per Wunderground Weather:
Partly Cloudy at 55.0 °F - Feels Like 55.0 °F;
Wind is at 2.9 from South with Gusts to 4.9 mph,
Pressure 29.55 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Scattered Clouds 4000 ft., Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft,
Dew Point 45 °F
Humidity 69%
Rainfall 0.07 in
Snow Depth Not available.

As far as rain fall for the last couple of days I measured 1.82 inches, giving me a total for the season of 23.84 inches. I'm not sure what the snow pack is in the Higher Sierra's but I think we are starting to get close to normal?

Good morning y'all. Presently 22° and sunny, going up to 60° this afternoon.

David: In most cases, they would simply run around the train re couple on the opposite end and go about their business, without re-shifting the train. By Markers, I mean what ever the local practice is for designating the rear of the train. At night one or two red lamps to the rear, by day, it could be a red disk or red flag. Each railroad had their own practice.

David: It defies logic, but on tangent track, even with spikes pulled and splice bars removed, empty cars at slow speed may remain on the rail. As long as the rail remains in place...During the Penn Central era, when you could pull spikes with your bare hand, it was amazing when you didn't have a derailment.

Next week is shaping up to be a busy one, The truck needs to go in for an oil change and a recall, the wife has to deal with MIL stuff, and I need to get my self an appointment with an orthopedic guy over my shoulder, and arm.

Joe: That's interesting and makes sense that the loco would just be run around the coaches and re-coupled onto the trailing car for the return trip. It's also interesting that lights were generally only used at night and flags or disks were used during the day. I think I have see large Red Disks on the back of a coach but wasn't familiar with what I was seeing/looking at!

Also I hope your able to get your shoulder situation corrected. Mine was just a pinched nerve I guess as after the second adjustment at the Chiropractor it went away slowly and my Left shoulder has been feeling very good since.

That's also interesting about the rail cars, I guess as long as the rail tends to stay in place on short sections the weight of the cars just set the rails down in their usual positions. I've noticed that even on my layout
where I have a couple of rails just laid on top of the central valley tie strips, which do have molded in tie plates, but the rail aren't even spiked down at all that I can run even a smaller loco on them without it derailing too.

Good Morning Gang. 56° and overcast skies this morning. Looks like I'll get a few hours in the garden today, time to plant the next round of radishes (a little at a time so they harvest a little at a time), and plant a few beets. Skipping carrots this year, peas and spinach that I planted last week are peeking through the ground after the rain Tuesday. Lettuce will probably be today. Still too soon for warm season veggies like green beans, squash , tomatoes and peppers.
Trainwise, I continued on landscaping projects for most of yesterday. But I couldn't resist pulling another laser-cut kit off the shelf and "imagineering". More on that tomorrow.

David - While I know what Wicked Wanda's was intended to be, and I have seen many fine representations of that, I am using mine as a simple boarding house as I already had enough "bawdy" houses on the layout.
Everybody have a great weekend.

Willie

Willie: Using Wanda's place as a boarding house is an interesting take too! I thought I'd forewarn you that a good friend and very good modeler Brian F., long since departed. built Tylick Tool, only to find out the space between the buildings meant for a Box car to go between was too tight. So if you have that kit be cautious about the space between the buildings when you build it, the area evidently needs to be opened up wider?

Have a good day all.

Looks like a couple of Burke class destroyers. 102 is the USS Sampson, but I can't make out the number on the other one.

Lots of scrap metal on the track at Daytona in the ARCA race.

I'm always a dollar short with details - did not think to write down the numbers of the ships. There were a total of 5 in the area that day - should have made tons more pictures. Went with my SIL who spent 26 years on duty and was in full whites for a retirement ceremony of a close friend of his in San Diego. We were on the fantail of his ship (pretty big one) that could launch troops from the deck below where we were. My day included a tour of the destroyer tied up next to us. Needless to say - I was quite impressed with the CIC and the whole ship - wow!
Sorry about all the bent metal on the track ... not cheap .. hope no one was hurt. I have been watching Trump's rally in FL. He did great - along with his wife who spoke!

Sherrel - I really enjoyed serving on destroyers. They were small enough that you really got to know a lot of the people on the ship plus the ship was small enough that you coupld pull into port and tie up a a pier instead of having to anchor out and the crew having to take boats to go into port.

Was digging around in some boxes of railroad stuff and came across this kit. I am tempted to put it together as I do have one spot left on the layout where it could work.

IMAG1062.jpg IMAG1063.jpg

You may be able to make out the dust on the box. I have a number of other kits that I will never build as I really have no room for them. This house could be placed in the space below the tracks and be used as a small ranch scene.

IMAG1050.jpg

I'll have to do some thinking about this.

Later.

A couple of years ago, I got tired of all the diagnoses intended to generate revenue for the doctor, and all the medications he had been prescribing for me to take for all the things he said I had wrong with me, that I didn't. I found a new doctor, and told them I suffer from migraine headaches. The new doctor refused to offer any treatment without seeing all my old records, so I gave them the old doctor's contact info after my initial appointment and prescription for migraine medicine.
Fast forward a couple of years, and now I have been diagnosed by the new doctor with hypertension (don't have it), obesity (index cutoff is 30, I am 30.1), high cholesterol (it's too low), sinus problems I don't have that I have now been given a prescription for, and a host of other ailments I don't have, but have once again been diagnosed with, to again generate revenue for the doctor for treating them. Oh, and of course folow-up appointments every 30-60 days that I have to take time off from work for.
So, I guess I am once again in search of a doctor that will treat what is wrong with me.

Terry: Have you ever taken the time to read all the paper that comes from the pharmacy? I started with blood pressure medicine, to keep the Conrail Medical Staff happy, from there I went down hill, developing other symptoms, directly attributable to the BP meds. I have a lifelong history of Asthma, and have taken various medications for it for years. The meds themselves, cause sinus problems, chronic bronchitis, and high blood pressure, among others, resulting in additional BP medication, which results in...well you get the drift. I'm down to three daily meds, plus a inhaled steroid for the lung issue. It's a vicious cycle, with each cure, causing a new problem to cure. My long time primary physician, is not a pill pusher, and he understands where I'm coming from. He wasn't surprised when I fired the last Orthopedic practice. I'm going to see how this goes, I don't need any one to tell me my knees are shot, I'm pretty sure that I know what's the matter with the shoulder, neck and arm too. Most of it is arthritis related, It's just a matter of what and when.

Thinking back over the train show, the thought occurs that I am a complete idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Say Joe & Others: Here's some info you might find useful Cinnamon has some extremely high curative properties that you should find very benefical and No Side Affects. Coupled with (Clover?) Honey it's beneficial effects are even greater!

https://draxe.com/health-benefits-cinnamon/

Check out the 13 different things in the list of it's curative properties.
- - -

Talks about relieving Arthritis pain. #6

http://www.organicauthority.com/health/11-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

Hope you find this helpful.
David S.

Back