Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

64fe7427-c1d2-46c4-a0b5-58f762d0ba40.png
[h=1]Held in the historic B&O Railroad Museum Roundhouse[/h]The Roundhouse Model Train Show brings real trains and model trains together under one roof at the the B&O Railroad Museum's historic Roundhouse. The show is co-sponsored by the Museum and Greenberg Train Shows, the largest and longest-running model train show in the country. The family-friendly show features model railroad manufacturers, model and toy train vendors, operating train layouts and interactive toy train displays in addition to the museum's other world class exhibits. The B&O Railroad Museum offers a special weekend of train rides too!
Saturday, February 25 (10am - 4pm)
Sunday, February 26 (11am - 4pm)

B&O Railroad Museum
901 W. Pratt St.
Baltimore MD 21223
410-752-2490
DISCOUNTED ADMISSION (Save 25%):
$12 adults, $6 children (2-12), Tickets available at the door. FREE for B&O Members. To become a B&O Member click here.

SPECIAL WEEKEND OF TRAIN RIDES:
With paid admission train rides are an additional $3 adults, $2 children and FREE for B&O Members.
Train rides depart promptly:
Saturday, February 25 at 11am, 1pm & 2:30pm
Sunday, February 26 at 12pm & 2pm

860ed89d-edc8-4899-a9fa-0ea5de768035.jpg
THE NATION'S BEST COLLECTION OF RAILROAD HISTORY:
The B&O Railroad Museum brings alive the magic and adventure of railroading every day! This historic national landmark allows you to see, touch, hear and explore the most important railroad collection in America. Visit www.borail.org for more information.

FOR VENDOR INFORMATION:
Model Train Companies Exhibiting Include:

Bachmann Trains
MTH Electric Trains
ScaleTrains.com
Piko America
Caboose Industries
Ross Custom Switches
Lerro Productions
Star Hobby
Semaphore Records
Ralph's Trains
Cliff's Custom Trains
Harbor Belt Lines

And Many More!
B&O Railroad Museum
901 W. Pratt St.
Baltimore MD 21223
www.borail.org
Phone the museum at 410-752-2490 for weather updates​

Maybe next time before we move the coffee shop we should have a food fight on the last page?!

Ok I am getting crazy, it's past my bed time.

Have a great night Everybody!

Howdy .

Joe ... Good to see you. .... It is better here when you are posting.

Louis ... Wish I could get to Baltimore for the B&O Museum event. Keep us posted if you go.

Speaking of sea monsters ...... This appeared on our property when our lake flooded a few years ago.

511f020e-10f5-4e08-ba95-d428075f4eff_zps2d6ypmes.jpg

Good evening gang!

Flo, can I get a RootBeer float, and a Turkey Club? They always knock me out.

A bit nippy tonight, but the woodstove has my work area about 72°. Tomorrow begins a virtual heat wave, and the weekend promises temps in the mid 60s through Monday! February in Absurdistan will be livin large!
Plumber friend came and installed a new water treatment / softener / filtration system today. I got home and SWMBO showed me all he had done. Hopefully we can stop replacing water heaters every 2 years now! Then she asked me to clean out the trap in the aerator for the kitchen sink, a task I've done many times. I grabbed the end of the spigot with my small Channel Locks, and promptly twisted the end right off of it. In the 7 years that kitchen fixture it has been here, the metal had gotten thin enough to crush in my hands! No she understands why I wanted the system we got! This weekend we'll go to HD for another fixture.
In a Midland mood tonight!

LEHX hopper shots 013.jpgMMID billboard.jpgHO MMID Billboard 001.jpg6776.1191204000.jpg

KenL
Glad to hear your back is feeling better. My track plans are coming together, we must meet and discuss. I want input from you, Keith, and BillC. It will be built in 2 phases. The 1st is a layout unto itself, the 2nd phase will almost double the mainline run and add a 3rd more mainline run plus an industrial area. No Duckunders! but there will be 2 lift bridges. Soon it will be finished, I'll post the final product ,, maybe this weekend.

Justin Don't fret over the painting. Take your time, keep your brushes clean, and you'll be fine. Speaking of brushes, Toss away those cheap plastic brushes and get some nice small sable brushes. They hold paint better, and lay it out smoother.
Well. thats it for me for now, but tomorrow is FRIDAY!!! :cool:

I think Joe went missing about the time we had the religious/political "discussion".
Never happened. Religion and politics are forbidden, so such a conversation can't ever happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I actually have some high end brushes on hand. Don't have to tell me twice about the cheap brushes. Learned that lesson the hard way. Now a higher quality paint would be awesome! Any recommendations?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Karl .... Does that mean you don't have a giraffe cattle car or a Mickey Mouse track inspection car ? :confused:

Bruce went missing about the same time.
We need to put out an APB for all our MIAs, and get them back here ASAP.

Terry, I agree.

Again, it is good to see Joe is back ..

Maybe Bill T can post again from IN.

Garry: Like the photo of the Lake Monster :)

FWIW: I have not done a whole lot of anything since the New Year. Not sick, just not up to speed. As Louis said, having survived the PRR, PC, Conrail and two tours at Amtrak, nothing bothers me. My layout is coming along nicely, with track down on all existing bench work. I have about 20' linear of benchwork to complete, plus two sets of shelves for staging. Once that's done and the remaining track is down, it's time to permanently wire the layout and start on the structures and scenery. Hopefully, we get some extended mild weather, during which I can open up the basement windows and do some of the painting I have been putting off. I also need to finish the freight station I started last fall. All it needs are the loading dock and ramps, lighting and roof(s). Last night I found an aerial photo, from around 1940, which clearly showed the freight station. My version is not close, but, I'll have to live with it. Most people will never know, if I don't tell them.

Curt:
Really like your LCL terminal. It's well thought out.

Eric:
Hope you are feeling better, and getting a handle on that infection.

Justin: Scalecoat 2 (plastics). Only negative is it's solvent based. Micro Marc has some private brand paint as well as several commercial brands. Have not tried their paint though.

Good late evening Track Layers & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How about some coffee and a bowl of chili beans with beef and a fair helping of Colby & Jack cheese. Thanks

That's the Jersey Devil :rolleyes:

Say Joe: Good to see you posting again and glad to hear your making progress on your layout, I'm sure that makes you feel good. Recreating part of history is very interesting and who should know the situation better than you.

I've got a question for you that came up, in my mind, dealing with my 1890 to 1910 baggage & passenger service using shorty coaches. I realize it quite a ways back out of your normal model RR era. My question is, if a passenger train heads out to make it's morning run, lets say, but the towns on both ends of it run have no prevision to turn the cars around for the evening run back, yet but do have a run-around track at either end. Is the Locos position just swapped and pulls the coaches in reverse? That really seems to be a redundant question as how else could they make the return trip other than leaving the train in it original coupled sequence and run in reverse? I was trying to come up with some operational plan for my layout which I do plan to operate as a point to point it times and I was wondering if you had ever come across anything similar to this?

Karl .... Does that mean you don't have a giraffe cattle car or a Mickey Mouse track inspection car ? :confused:

Terry, I agree.

Again, it is good to see Joe is back ..

Maybe Bill T can post again from IN.

Garry: Actually, I caught a glimpse of one of Karls prior pictures and he had the whole circus train with a Mickey mouse inspection car in the lead. Oh, what have I done, I think I'm gong to catch hell over that!

Oh, about Bruce, I did see that he popped in briefly just prior to this New Dinner being opened.

Has anybody heard from, 'Tony the Whambat' ? How about Gary Serrit too?

Now, I know I overstepped my bounds and am sorry for having started this out of time! I really don't know what goes on here, other than the fact these columns are very popular. I'm suggesting to my self to ride along for a while until I get a feel for the land. Best to all! I have one statement to make; however, and that is that the TRUMP Train is not in what I understand this forum to be about!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I know I overstepped my bounds and am sorry for having started this out of time! I really don't know what goes on here, other than the fact these columns are very popular. I'm suggesting to my self to ride along for a while until I get a feel for the land. Best to all! I have one statement to make; however, and that is that the TRUMP Train is not in what I understand this forum to be about!

Not really "overstepping", as much as "mistiming". Nit Pick your RR, not your motive! Hahaha. Don't fret, I have opened a couple of times when Terry overslept.
Be back in a bit after I check out all of the overnight postings.
Willie

Good Morning All. Looks like partly cloudy and 46° to start the day. Did the grocery/beer trek yesterday, killed 3 1/2 hours of my morning. Wife who was off work, chose to stay home for some reason...probably to get away from me!
Didn't get as much time in the train shed as I wanted to get yesterday. Assembled some fencing for two different areas that I am detailing right now. I'm using the old standby Atlas picket fencing for one townhouse; and I am using some laser-cut Bar Mills "InstaFence" to fence off the RR ROW from the Wicked Wanda build that I did last summer. I know that you all want pictures, but I am not ready yet.

Sherrel -
Darn AC did not work in my old truck yesterday
C'mon, don't you remember how to roll down the windows?
Chet -
That is a really nice looking locomotive. I needed mine like a hole in the head but couldn't resist it.
Been there, done that, still have the scars!:cool:
Beady - Did Chet's video answer your question? I have heard them called "Dutch drops" by older ATSF crew members. It's really neat to see one done by a crew that knows what they are doing. I used to see them at a siding on the other side of the Frisco tracks that ran alongside the place that I worked at for years. The BN takeover put a stop to the practice there in 1980.
Justin - Here is a picture that I posted a few months back of my Merchant's Row II build. I haven't detailed the storefronts on the left yet. The building on the right is a "Fitness Club", hence the completely covered windows on the ground floor.
10-28-16 005.001.JPG
As you can see, I did not follow the colors that they used on the box. It probably took me a week to do all of the windows, because I stop after about 45 minutes and set it aside. I paint the windows before I assemble the walls as it is easier to hold the parts that way.
Joe - Good to see that you are fine and have re-joined the motley crew here. Controversy? I still use DC and probably will never change, Chet and others here use it as well.
Terry -
Bruce went missing about the same time.
He may not be posting, but he is lurking.

OK now, everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Back