Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good morning. It's cloudy and 34.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it. I spent yesterday working on the "newsed" truck. I discovered the previous owner must have worked for Penn Central back in the day. While it is in good shape overall, it seems to be a rolling monument to deferred maintenance. It is a 2006 model, with 128,000 miles on it. I replaced the original fuel filter, original transmission filter, rear axle pinion seal and original differential fluid, original coolant, original brake fluid accessory drive belt on the engine, and have an appointment to get a new set of tires for it. Luckily, the only thing super expensive is the tires. $560. I'll put that on my tire credit card, and pay it off over the next few months. I was going to put it off until closer to Summer, but when I was driving in the rain last week, it hydroplaned, and if I hadn't kept my cool, we would probably have went in the ditch. After the dealer replaced the original spark plugs and original coil packs right after we got it, the gas mileage increased dramatically. Still not "good", but better. It was getting 12, which is what my larger, heavier F250 was getting. The F250 weighed over a ton more... Now, it's getting 14.5 consistently. EPA says it should get 18. I'll be happy with 16.

After that, I took my wife to Walgreens, and paid for another round of injectible diabetes medicine for her. Our co-pay was $259.20 for 4 shots. I guess I shouldn't complain, retail price for it was around $1200. I also stopped in, and got my migraine medicine. That was better, my co-pay was $10 for 6 pills. Retail price on them is $159 per pill. Since I am only allowed 6 per month, I have to make a decision about paying retail when I run out, or staying home unpaid from work. It's cheaper to stay home than to buy a pill so I can go to work.

In other financial news, I finally got a check from our renter's insurance for the first round of stuff. They wanted me to buy all the replacements first, then they would cut me a check. They relented somewhat when I asked them if I could borrow a few thousand to do that. We broke the claim up into two parts. The direct loss, and the replacement. After I buy the replacement stuff, and submit receipts, they'll cut a second check for the replacement value. The adjuster choked on his coffee when he saw how much a replacement computer for me would cost. We agreed on $1000 to replace it, since it's an older model, and not the current version. I've had it since we moved here in 2010, when I paid $1500 for it, used. It was a Mac Pro, with everything you could get at the time. It was way overkill for almost anything I did, but it did come in handy when I was working on the club's website.

Hopefully, the rest of my week goes smoothly. We're closed for Good Friday, so I can finish prepping our travel trailer for one of the two outings planned for this year. We're taking it to a rally in South Carolina, where I am slated to give several free seminars on maintenance and upgrades. The second outing is when we take the trailer back to the factory where it was made for an annual rally, where again I am performing several seminars. At least I am getting partial compensation for that one, we don't have to pay any rally fees, saving around $600. All we have to pay for is food and fuel. And toll$...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 34 degrees and clear this morning. I'm off to a slow late start today since I went to a party in Dallas last night and didn't get home until 12:30. Interstate highway construction at midnight for 30 miles sure looks eerie. What the heck are they doing working on Saturday night? Fortunately there was only a one mile stretch where they had a lane shut down. Continued on my track painting/ballasting project yesterday, got about 15' more done.
Eric - I repeat what Joe said, "Got to hand it to you, buddy. You lead an interesting life." Keep alert for those bushes! Watched your video without the sound. How many girls were you hiding in the unseen bedroom?
Terry - Echoing what all of the others have said. Especially what Joe wrote.
Erik (DSD) - Get well soon.
I think I will take an early nap!
Everyone have a great first day of spring and a Happy Palm Sunday to those who celebrate.

Willie

Morning again,
Kind of chilly out and not a cloud in the sky.
My thumb is really killing me. It's difficult to tie the string on my sweat pants.
I certainly won't be able to any do sanding with it for at least a few days.
Good thing I'm somewhat ambidextrous otherwise I wouldn't be able to button my pants at all.
Pulling up a zipper simply isn't possible.

Should be ok to finish the junction building though.
E.

Good morning everyone. ......

Willie .. is the weather any better there yet ?

Terry .... Regarding dividing the claim in two parts... As long as they count it as one claim, that should be okay. Claims adjusters have been known to file a single claim as tow claims. Insurance companies count the number of claims. Next, they will bump your premium up because you have too many claims in a certain period of time. ... I don't like insurance companies.

Has anyone heard from David (Trussed) ? I have not seen him post here lately.

Garry -
Willie .. is the weather any better there yet ?
Well it quit raining . Only had mist and drizzle Thursday and Friday. Yesterday and today the temperature range is between 34 and 60 degrees with sunshine and a brisk North wind; Monday going up to 70. By Wednesday it will be back to the mid-80's. Doesn't look like any rain for the next ten days. March 22 is our average last freeze date, but it hasn't been below freezing since February 10. It also didn't snow this winter...not even flurries. This is typical "El Nino" weather for this part of Texas. In 2014 (a non EN year) for example, I had three different snow events of 10"+.
Why do you ask?

Willie

Hopefully this will work. One of the other museum crew and I were shuffling a cut of locomotives in Perris, using the MRS1. I was playing hostler helper, and Ralph was the hostler:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 218
Morning FLO .. I'll have a short stack this morning with coffee - no cream, Thanks.

It's 54, clear as can be, winds calm. Supposed to reach 80 today - yesterday's high was 77.

The Spousal Unit is supposed to roll into the station shortly before noon from her Diva cruise with the Women's Club. I have to try and get the station back in order prior to her arrival. Hope all of you have a good day.

Good Morning All:

Bright sunny day here, but a bit cool. Going to have bunch and then head to the layout room.

Plans for today are:

-Run a track cleaning train.
-Break in a couple of locomotives that I installed DCC decodes.
-Weather some utility poles that I installed.
-Plant some weeds.

That's about it for today.

Greg

Sherrel, did you mean to send me a PM? I just got a blank one from you.

Back to the train room!
E.

Speaking of weather, just got off the phone with my NC train buddy (the one that was supposed come visit last weekend). They have a small chance of snow tonight. He's in Highlands, NC.

We're good. I'm no grudge holder at all.
Ironically when he called I was upstairs messing with that little Pikesville junction kit. He's the one that sent it to me.

As to having a beer frig in the train room, I'm wondering how I ever lasted this long without one!!!
Talk about convenience!
This one has a freezer to accommodate my whiskey bottle to boot!!
E.

Hi everyone! Just catching up on all the posts while I gain some courage to do something on the layout. I have so many things on the list, it sometimes becomes overwhelming just thinking about it. Heck, anything I start on would be better than just procrastinating about it. (I know: two deep breathes and JUMP! lol)
Eric Thanks for the tour of your digs. Definitely a bachelor's pad.
William I haven't seen you in a long time. Nice looking SW's that would look even better on my BC&W track. I hope to have you, Carey, Scott, Jimmy, etc. over for an Op session one Saturday in April. We are heading out for a week-long camping trip this Thursday and will have a better feel for an Op's date when we get back.

Sherrel, did you mean to send me a PM? I just got a blank one from you.

Back to the train room!
E.

I was cleaning out - freeing up space and must have mistakenly sent it.

While I have you .. You "crack" me up. You say that you are just going to kick back and take it easy - then in the next line you are making a list of things to do. Yesterday, you were exhausted - then what's the first thing you do - move a refrigerator upstairs, and the list gets longer.
For heaven's sake man ... cool it and get some cream on those hands and fingers.

Hi everyone! Just catching up on all the posts while I gain some courage to do something on the layout. I have so many things on the list, it sometimes becomes overwhelming just thinking about it. Heck, anything I start on would be better than just procrastinating about it. (I know: two deep breathes and JUMP! lol)
Eric Thanks for the tour of your digs. Definitely a bachelor's pad.
William I haven't seen you in a long time. Nice looking SW's that would look even better on my BC&W track. I hope to have you, Carey, Scott, Jimmy, etc. over for an Op session one Saturday in April. We are heading out for a week-long camping trip this Thursday and will have a better feel for an Op's date when we get back.

Hey Rex, you should tag along next time Carey comes over - assuming he'll get back in the train mood sometime soon hopefully. William and Jimmy have both been over here as well.
Carey has been over here a bunch. In fact I have his coffee creamer and sweetener on standby just for him.
You are welcome to come visit as well.

You should talk to William about that switcher. He might just sell it to you. He talked to me about it a few days ago.

Bachelor pad? Gee, ya' think? :cool:
E

I was cleaning out - freeing up space and must have mistakenly sent it.

While I have you .. You "crack" me up. You say that you are just going to kick back and take it easy - then in the next line you are making a list of things to do. Yesterday, you were exhausted - then what's the first thing you do - move a refrigerator upstairs, and the list gets longer.
For heaven's sake man ... cool it and get some cream on those hands and fingers.

Yeah, I know. I seem to have 2 speeds: full afterburner or chocked and blocked.
You should see my list I got done.
Everything is done except for cleaning the tracks and that can wait. Everything is still running just fine as is.
You should see me when I get in a spring cleaning mood.
My last wife used to make fun of me saying I was "nesting".
E.

Hey Rex, you should tag along next time Carey comes over - assuming he'll get back in the train mood sometime soon hopefully. William and Jimmy have both been over here as well.
Carey has been over here a bunch. In fact I have his coffee creamer and sweetener on standby just for him.
You are welcome to come visit as well.

You should talk to William about that switcher. He might just sell it to you. He talked to me about it a few days ago.

Bachelor pad? Gee, ya' think? :cool:
E

I had to laugh at the coffee creamer and sweetener. I always have it handy for when he comes over.
He was over here just the other day to fix my BLI Class A. I've had her about 12 years or so and try to keep it running top notch. The back drivers would stop moving under load and I had no clue on how to get into the workings. He went right into it and fixed the the clamp that sits over the worm gear. That fellow really knows his locomotives! He was the one that helped me get going in MR and has taught me many skills. Don't worry about Carey; he is just in a slump that we all go through. He has been in the hobby so long, nothing will ever get him out of it until he turns to dirt. Thanks for the invite. I just may take you up on that and come over sometime with CJ.

I have bought several rolling stock items from William. Might hit him up for that switcher as the L&N one of my flags.

Yeah, your digs are organized perfectly for a bachelor. Bachelor rule 1 for the perfect pad---keep everything handy:D

Evening All,

Didn't do much on the signal bridge today, just couldn't get motivated for some reason. I did attach the metal ladder on the side and sprayed the entire thing in flat black. I am probably raking leaves again tomorrow. The day is supposed to be the coolest one this week (67 F).

I packed up my BLI PRR L1s and H10s to sell. If anyone is interested I will give you a very good deal and let me know at curtwbb56@yahoo.com. I will give them to my friend to sell on Ebay Saturday.

L&N- Nice looking switchers.

BigE- You're a maniac! LOL.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Before I step out to go do a few errands, thought I post a little more info on the Sandersville SW 1500. When I put it together, I started with an undec RTR SW 1500, built the frame,and all,then found on e-bay a complete SW 1500 shell lettered for the Sandersville Railroad. The end result, I own a Sandersville SW #1100. William.

Back