Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Joe - That's what they eventually get after ordering and waiting. Sometimes the dealer will discount one that he has on the floor, in order to move it out and not have to deal with getting the cheaper model. I should have been more clear about that.
Willie

What sort of "E" on that address book would you like?

So much for that idea of staying up late and sleeping in.
Never mind drinking JD #7 with my new-found Kenyan neighbors.....
I'm still up at O-dark-30.

A couple of the guys were getting to know me a little.
"Here, you want to see something cool?!".
Several train visits followed and they were completely blown away.
They all asked to take pics "sure, go ahead" and the phones came out.
Maybe I don't ourselves enough credit to how complicated it can get.
I gave a couple of tours and drove some trains with full sound and lights and all.
Them fellers were just as tickled in their mid-20s liking to see some little kid ooh and aaah about it.

How many languages do I need to learn to live around here?
At least we do speak the language of JD #7.
Kind of funny really. They were teaching some lingo and accent. I picked it right up.
Some things they said I was speaking with no accent to them but sounded more like their native tongue.

It's all good. I was welcomed to come eat some goat (which I did) and imbibe in some JD.
Kind of like a chewy mix of chicken and pork without the port fat.
I suppose them being first round immigrants to the USA might have been a little shocker to see someone carrying a sidearm so blatantly - overtly might be better word.
My neighbor is an over land long haul trucker so I don't see him much at all.
In fact I've really only met him a few times and that was through my little buddy Evanson whom I've been knowing since he was a little kid.
This all went on after I talked to Sherrel last night. I probably didn't rack out for a few hours and back up at the usual 07-something hours.

Back to trains!! I did some trimming on some trees earlier in the evening. Most seem bent/crooked. Dave/LASM do you suppose I could soak them in water and straighten them somewhat?
They are awfully dry and brittle.

I think I racked out around 0400 so I'm not sure how much longer my morning will hold out.
It appears one of my cats knocked off one of proto 2000 cars and may f... up the coupler on the A end.

What I really need to do is put some of that new paint on my little junction platform project.
Then again I don't where I'd put it on the layout.

As to my mini-frig. I found a place for it in the bathroom that adjoins the train room. How to get it up there is yet to be figured out. I'll figure some way. Always do. Self reliance and rugged individualism seems to have always served me well.

Kind of wish it would come a hellish storm today. Then again it would be a waste without my new engine from Terry or my order from MBK.

All this sanding (by hand) on the finish trim work is taking its toll on my thumbs and fingers again. About time for a few days off for me - no gun range visits either.
Larry doesn't know I have a muzzle break (flash suppressor) coming for the 1911 he loaned me. It might show up today actually (won't hold my breath).

David/LASM: how did you handle any crooked trees that look good?
I'm wondering if you can't soak them and rehydrate the stems a little to give them a little plyability (for lack of better word) and straighten them out somewhat.

In any event I'm planning on a quiet day. Not likely to happen really. Never seems to work out that way.
Larry might call any minute saying "let's go to the range".
I have plenty to do around here. ... move the mini-frig upstairs, hang a curtain rod and curtains he gave me. He's just throwing them out any how and my doesn't seem to be in any hurry about putting up some blinds on my new back sliding door that we put in back in December.

So much to do and so little time - now that I have semi-regular work going on.
I'm about due for a day or 2 off. My thumbs are bleeding again after all this hand sanding work.
I wont do that until my MBK order comes in. That will probably be early-mid next week.
Terry's engine... maybe today but not likely unless he put it priority mail.

Guess I'll hang a curtain rod and curtains... might as well get something done.
E.

Terry, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I know you said that you've exhausted all alternatives but don't give up on help from some where. My wife helps with her parents and one of her brothers care. Her mother fell and broke her hip awhile back and my wife was beside herself trying to get help with getting her admitted to a nursing home. After what seemed like the umpteenth time of filling out forms for getting help for her, something finally fell into place and she was at, long last, admitted to a good home.

Her brother has been steadily declining at an increasingly faster rate since his last stroke several years ago. She was at long last able to get help in the form of a caretaker for three hours a day, three times a week. Not a lot but still a big help. Her younger brother has been helping care for him as well and together they have tried to find a way to provide help for him as he gets older and probably worsens. They may have found a good solution in an assisted living facility nearby.

All this after running into road blocks and dead ends at every turn. For whatever reason, something worked out and there has been some good (maybe better would be more descriptive) news coming their way. I'm sure you've probably checked for assistance paying for her medicine, however, if you haven't, remember many drug companies do offer some help.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not to ever give up. Leave no stone unturned. I know that things do go badly and can be overwhelming. Been there, done that. Try to stay upbeat and always on the lookout for some program that can offer assistance of some form.

I'm tired after working a twelve hour shift last night and hopefully am not rambling too much. Just want you to know that we are thinking of you.

ok fellers.... I'm fixin to move this mini-frig upstairs all by my lonesome. No one around to help so my rugged individualism and self reliance is kicking in.
However... should it kick in too much and you all don't hear from me in a couple of hours it would be ok to call to be sure I'm ok. Otherwise, call local police and have them come check on me - let them know I am armed just to be sure they don't shoot me, or me them. I don't want to hurt anyone and dam sure don't feel like being shot in my own house for no good reason.

Time to move the frig and get something else done.
Now what I'm going to do with these big-a$$ Fisher stereo speakers is another matter.
E.

I've refrained from talking about it, because I didn't want to depress anybody, but we ended up having to trade in my truck and my wife's car on an older (2006) F150, to save enough in tags, taxes, car payments, and insurance that we can afford her diabetes medicine. We have exhausted all alternatives.
Next step will be trying to find a cheaper place to live. We currently pay $700 a month in rent. Cheaper will probably mean a 1 bedroom apartment, which also means the trains will have to either leave or get packed away and stored. With no operable layout in an apartment, and none at our club, and no way to run them, it won't make a lot of sense to keep them. Maybe a couple of switch engines and a couple dozen cars on a small switching layout. Maybe.

Terry
Let me echo Bob's sentiments here. Never give up and keep digging. 15 years ago I was separated and living in my parents basement, soon to be divorced. She got everything including my brass trains, sold to pay my lawyer. Got remarried, bought another house, then had a stroke, got rehabbed, went back to work, 1 month later got let go, for"unspecified" reasons. ..landed my current job......point is, keep digging.
And if you need to talk, vent or ask a 2nd opinion of us, we're here.......that's what friends do.

I suppose I'll ditto what Karl and Bob said.
There is always hope.
I'm still waiting for my day to eat a regular plate of food.
My throat/mouth issues have not gone away. I just quit talking about it.
I was spitting blood in the shower last night. Not much but that shouldn't be happening at all.
I've been putting up with it for a couple years and it really kills me to see other people eat something good.

In any event, I got the frig moved up stairs with no problem and no help.
Rugged individualism and self reliance at finest is nothing new to me.
Now I just need a ride to the beer store to score a big 30 pack - maybe 2 just to have on hand.
A month or so from now when the GA heat and humidity kicks it will be all I can do to walk to the beer store and back without stopping for several breathers. Tachycardia and high blood pressure will likely take me out one day. Not for at least 90 years anyhow. I see at least being 120 by the time I'm "called home". God's grace and will permitting of course.

There is always hope!
After moving that frig upstairs and I still have my breath..... I'm good at least for today.
E.

HELP - I'm trapped in a cloud this morning. It's so foggy that I can't see two houses away. Oh well, it will burn off in a couple hours - there is no rain forecast (what a surprise) and the temp supposed to get to 79 today, and very low 80's for next several days.

ERIC - Why didn't you get that bunch of kids last night to move that fridge upstairs for you? Better, where are they this morning? I have a small fridge that I had in my office a few years ago .. it's sitting under my workbench .. it's not much larger than 24x24. How big is this thing that you have?

PHIL- Joe said he wants your leaves - LOL. "Orange Empire Railroad Museum" -- Love it Phil!
PA090135.jpg
PA090128.jpg

ERIC - Why didn't you get that bunch of kids last night to move that fridge upstairs for you? Better, where are they this morning? I have a small fridge that I had in my office a few years ago .. it's sitting under my workbench .. it's not much larger than 24x24. How big is this thing that you have?

Mine is about 32" high. This one has a freezer - good for a bottle of JD or other such sipping whiskey.
I'm just not one to ask for help - ever. Probably will be to a fault.
Anyway my train table is 30" high. Ken had decent idea to raise the table up. That would have been a helluva lot of work since I have 1x4" side bracing all around the 9 legs. 9th leg is a center post sort of.
Raising up now would be ok since I can't get up on the table anymore after ground cover and scenery work.
I just found a good place for the frig in the big bathroom off the train room.
Rather huge bathroom really. I don't really need it but here I am.
That big a$$ tub is nice in a cold winter but it was pretty lame this year. Plus I had no female company to share it with. :cool:

Since I still can't post a pic, I suppose I could do a private video.
Not top-secret private, just one that doesn't by default go on my youtube channel.
Need to check on my list of things to do to see how I'm doing today.
Haven't even opened a beer .... YET.
Very soon to be sure!!
E.

Ok. about a 4 minute video uploading now. youtube will take some shakey out of it.
While that's going on I suppose I can vacuum and open a beer.

Terry
Let me echo Bob's sentiments here. Never give up and keep digging. 15 years ago I was separated and living in my parents basement, soon to be divorced. She got everything including my brass trains, sold to pay my lawyer. Got remarried, bought another house, then had a stroke, got rehabbed, went back to work, 1 month later got let go, for"unspecified" reasons. ..landed my current job......point is, keep digging.
And if you need to talk, vent or ask a 2nd opinion of us, we're here.......that's what friends do.

Terry ... Your friends here care about you, and you are not depressing us. As Karl and others have said, we have had rough times in our lives. It has been more than 15 years with me as it was with Karl when I was being overcome by several very major adverse events. I tried solving things myself, and actually compounded the problems that way. Eventually I turned it all over to the Big G, and He at first gave me hope. Over a period of months, things started falling into place for me. Not trying to get religious, but I am saying how things were. It also certainly helped to take model train breaks which were good for my sanity. The bad stuff is mostly over now. ... In your situation, you are being a good husband taking care of your better half as you should.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok... here's little tour through my "crib".
[video=youtube_share;FTEvksvwhrs]https://youtu.be/FTEvksvwhrs[/video]

This week sorta went to hell in a hand basket. Spent Monday and Tuesday in Madison researching a magazine piece, then was laid up Thursday and Friday with what felt like flu without the upper respiratory problems. Had to call in sick to my part-time copy editing job last night. Better today, but not yet back at 100%. I have another part-time shift tonight and I will go in for that, but otherwise taking it slow this weekend.

Terry, I'll add my voice to those who are saying hang in there and ask for help when you need it.

Take care, everyone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have no idea why, but I seem to have piqued someone's interest, here; Tapatalk just notified me that someone on the forum has been checking on my profile. To whomever, if you're curious about something, just ask.

TERRY, I don't know you or you me, but there is help out there. I wish you and yours well.

I've been dinking around with SCARM, trying to get a general idea of a small but interesting setup that will be easily expandable as I add tabletops. MIXY, is there a way, once I've designed a building or a particular track configuration, to save it to a library?

I don't know about this year, but we're planning a road trip through the northern plains, then down to San Francisco and San Diego, and back by the Grand Canyon and Denver. I'm looking forward to trainspotting along the way. We took a similar trip a year ago through the Southwest, and I was surprised at both how many trains we saw, and how many of the locomotives I already had. I'm actually learning things!

That last paragraph reminds me: Are there any good trainspotting resources that I can download to my Kindle Fire?

Oh crap!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why, but I seem to have piqued someone's interest, here; Tapatalk just notified me that someone on the forum has been checking on my profile. To whomever, if you're curious about something, just ask.

Oh crap!

Tweren't me. I promise.
E

Evening All,

Loaded Win10 on my computer and it only took about 5 hours to figure out where my favorites were and to be able to access them. I still don't know where the internet prompt is. Today I went to a electrical supply store and got a low power pencil soldering iron (for signaling heads), resistors, and some shrink tubing. I started on my signal tower yesterday. A lot of it is flimsy and breaks if you look at it wrong (especially handrails). I did a quick fit and it fits across the track OK. I plan on working on it again tomorrow.

Terry- Sorry to hear of your issues.

Joe- Great news on your MIL. The last time I had a v8 pickup was 1980 in Charleston SC.

Willie- They are a great team.

Ken- Have fun.

BigE- Nice tour.

Montana- I have a very basic 2007 Chevy Colorado with around 72 K miles

Here is my progress so far. I need to spray it.

20160318_144140_zps7ti1n4dp.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

No rest for the weary.....
I helped my neighbor build a little gazebo thingy.
Basically a kit with sh....ty directions but we figured it out.
We only had to take apart once to get it right.

During a little break I came back here to grab a beer and leave a pee and the mailman strolls up and threw a box at me. Well, it was more like a toss and lo and behold my engine Terry showed up!!
It's a Bowser Baldwin DS4-4-1000 switcher almost in the same "southern belle" paint scheme as the KCS ES44AC I got from a few months ago.

I'm about wore out from helping the neighbor, Mr. Wilson, on that gazebo thing. But we "got 'er done!".

I'm kind of in the mood to unload my tracks and let new stud in the stable have a run for a while.
Funny thing really. Of the 4 engines on my tracks right now 3 of them I got from Terry and the last 2, ES44AC and FP45, have not been off the tracks since I put them down. That has to be at least 4 or 5 months ago.
I suppose they would be due for a wheel cleaning anyhow.

Too bad my MBK didn't show up (not that I was expecting it). I think I'd take Monday and Tuesday off.
With all the finish trim re-doing my thumb and 2 fingers are raw and bleeding openly. REALLY painful!!

I'm really liking my curtains on the back door. Almost like someone around here [me] actually gives a s,,,t.

I think I will do a little train work in repainting the window trim on that little junction kit I got. Might as well try out these new paints to see how they fair. We'll see. I'm about ready for a nap. Nah... I better stay up lest I screw up tomorrow night's attempt for proper sleep.

If anyone feels chatting, my phone is on.
E.

Well that didn't take long. I let the new engine pull some laps with a pretty healthy train behind and it did super sweet.
Since I was at it, I also painted up the trim I was talking about. VERY nice!!
A very good day thus far. Too bad I don't have female company to share it with. Guns included of course.
Got my train cave frig loaded with an 18 pack as well.
E

Good evening, y'all. Spent the afternoon, in the basement, I'm breaking down the remaining Kato track, organizing it, and placing it in a storage container for future use. It's perfect for around the Christmas Tree, for instance. I also wrapped eleven Bowser and Mantua steam locos in bubble wrap, and boxed them for my son to mess with. They were my FIL's and have sat in a display cabinet unused, for at least 18 years. Some have corrosion on the drivers and side rods. Several still run somewhat, while others are frozen in time. They mow belong to my son, and he will get them the next time he's home on leave. The T-1 didn't fit into the box, so it's still sitting on a section of Code 70 flex. Since Mother Nature is going to welcome Spring with a snowstorm, I plan on spending more time down in the basement tomorrow.

DSD: Take care of that cold.
Eric: Got to hand it to you, buddy. You lead an interesting life. That Baldwin you just got is one of my favorites, for a lot of reasons. 1. My grandfather worked for Baldwin Locomotive, 2. First diesel I ever ran was a DS 4-4-1000 (PRR BS10). They had big Westinghouse traction motors, and could out pull anything in their class. The Bowser-Stewart model is excellent. Enjoy yours.
Curt: That Colorado isn't broken in yet.:rolleyes: I like the signal bridge. They say that Patience is the key with projects of that nature.
Sherrel: Don't tell Phil that I want the leaves, I have enough of my own. At least I now have something I can use to take 'em to the recycle center and be rid of them.
Ken: Is that meet in Malvern or King of Prussia?
Terry: My wife has medical insurance through a "bridge" plan offered by the Railroad Unions, which covers her medical expenses at 60% after a $750 deductable. After we spend 10K out of pocket/year, the plan covers at 100%. We have a year to go until she is covered by Medicare. This plan does not cover drugs. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as Osteoarthritis. Some of the RA meds are outrageously priced (30K/year for one type, 3K/month for another). However her Rheumatologist, has her on a mix of generic medications that have reversed (for now), the inflammation. She uses a discount card, that we obtained at the doctor's office, that gets her 60% to 70% discounts on her Rx. Without that, we would be up the creek w/o paddle. For what it's worth, her cost right now is lower than what I pay out in co-pays under my Part D plan.
Diabetes is a serious condition, that requires a lot of different treatment options depending on the patient's condition. However, there are a lot of less expensive treatment options. Has she consulted with a Diabetes Specialist? If she goes to one, and makes her financial condition known, the specialist can generally come up with an effective treatment plan that is less costly, rather than just prescribing the newest, most expensive medication. If your income is limited, there are also assistance programs available through the state. Don't assume that you have to be indigent to apply. Often, only her income is considered in these programs. (Being involved with my MIL and her various conditions - her biggest problem, incidentally, is a complication of Diabetes - has been an eye opener into how this works. It's not what I assumed it was. What ever you do, Don't give up. That goes for both of y'all.

Evening gang. Here are some photos I took of my Athearn L&N SW 1500,as well a Sandersville SW 1500 that was made from an undecoratated model. William.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 141
Good morning,
44 out right now. Only getting up to 54 later today.
Happy 1st day of spring.
Don't think I'll be doing much today. Just chill out.
Never did clean the engine wheels. Suppose I could do that.
Might could put the widows and doors on the junction building.
That's only been sitting around for a month or so.
I'll probably end up with company and won't get anything done.
That's ok as well.
E.

Back