Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Ken - glad you got the adapter working. Enjoy yourself up there. I am seriously looking at a Fusion after having one for a rental car when I was in Daytona last month. Only had it for a week and most driving was local except for a couple of trips. Found out the I can order one without the touch screen (which I really hated in the rental). How do you guys like the Fusion? For the short time I had it I did like it.

Fuel economy, or the lack of it varies greatly. Take my Impala, 25 mpg around here if I drive it. 23 if SWMBO drives it. But on the open road, I've seen 32 mpg. The little S -10, 16 mpg commuting 8 miles a day, 18 on the open road.
Like they say, your mileage may vary.

So, what do you call the one with the touch screen Chet? The Con-Fusion?

You got that right Toot. I was an accident investigator for the Highway Patrol for years before moving home and I see these touch screens as a major distraction to try and operate while driving. I'll take my buttons, knobs and switches thank you very much.

The government over here has mandated automatic braking on new cars within a few years. Might be a good idea for the people pecking around on their touch screens instead of looking at what's ahead of them.

So, what do you call the one with the touch screen Chet? The Con-Fusion?

Now that is SOOO funny you mentioned that. Chet and I both were complaining about today's autos in general when we were chatting the other night.
I mentioned something about my buddy's Rubicon Jeep. All be it a manly man's rig to be sure, the dam thing sounds like a pin ball machine after dropping in some quarters and hit the play button.
E.

I've refrained from talking about it, because I didn't want to depress anybody, but we ended up having to trade in my truck and my wife's car on an older (2006) F150, to save enough in tags, taxes, car payments, and insurance that we can afford her diabetes medicine. We have exhausted all alternatives.
Next step will be trying to find a cheaper place to live. We currently pay $700 a month in rent. Cheaper will probably mean a 1 bedroom apartment, which also means the trains will have to either leave or get packed away and stored. With no operable layout in an apartment, and none at our club, and no way to run them, it won't make a lot of sense to keep them. Maybe a couple of switch engines and a couple dozen cars on a small switching layout. Maybe.

As Justin might say "Thank 'by God' it's Friday!".
I'm in so much need of a sleep-in day - if that's possible for me.
At least I can dam sure nap as often as I wish.

Got an email from MBK that my order shipped!! yay!! Of course the first notification they send, and I check with USPS, says only that a shipping label was created. Ooh wee.

Here's some extra special fun to polish off the work week for me. Larry is dropping me off and I'm getting stuff out of the Jeep. When I get to my front it's open about 4"!!!!
I ease back to the Jeep to tell Larry and he says "well, you just opened it.... didn't you??" I said no and he cut the Jeep off and jumped out. We both drew weapons and checked the entire place - closets included.
The only thing I can figure is I didn't pull the door closed all the way this morning.
Wow!! I've never done that before.

Neither of us carry with one in the chamber - Condition 3 I believe they call it. But I assure you my safety was off ready to chamber 1 if needed. I would imagine Larry did the same.
All is good. 6 months ago I probably would have gone to a neighbor's and called the police to sweep the house. But between the 2 of us, plus his two dogs plus the AR in his back seat, I wasn't too worried about it.
Just a big f.. up on my part this morning is all I can figure.
None the less, it was good day to be heavily armed... just because you never know. Daylight home invasions do happen around here.

E.

I can relax and take my time tonight finally.
No rush on any thing at all.
I might just all crazy and take a shower tonight.
Then maybe get some laundry done and run the dishwasher.

As for my image uploading issue... still no joy. Just more confusion.
The dialogue box seems to change. Sometimes I'm allowed to browse my local machine for a pic but sometimes (like right now) I don't even see that option. I've cleared all my browser cache so that's not it. I've checked my forum profile settings and see nothing there. I've check my various browser settings and see nothing relevant there either.
What the (*%^!!!!
E.

Chet--I kick myself frequently for trading in my 98 half ton chevy pickup. I kept the salt off the body and the v-6 was super economical. It was a full sized 4 x 4 with plenty of room, but my 2009 seemed twice as big, the way they designed the hood and cab.

I am not sure if they made better tires back then, but I drove that 97 for 9 years before my first flat. With the 2009, I had one flat the first year and 3 the second. I know that has nothing to do with the truck itself, but it makes me wonder.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

L&S: You got that right. In retrospect, I should have kept my 2004 Silverado, Standard cab, V6, Air, Power Windows, and Auto, with a full bed. Got 6K for it, the same truck is selling for over 12 now. The new one has the extended cab, which has some advantages, plus a 6½' bed, so its really not any longer, but it sits higher. The V8 with a six speed automatic has more power, better acceleration, with about the same MPG, but in my opinion, is overpriced. Some of the tricked out models run as high as 75K, and I really doubt the owners do anything more with them than commute to work. I think tire quality is hit or miss. My first truck was a nail magnet, the second, not. But I quickly replaced the original tires on that one for tires that held the road.

Chet: I do agree that the touch screen can be distracting, but short attention span drivers don't need a touch screen to be distracted.

The forecast has changed. Looks like 60% chance for showers tonight.
That will turn into 80% chance of thunder storms tomorrow.
Sounds like a good day to be holed up.

Chet: Perhaps I'll get to my trees tomorrow. At least maybe I can pick a few candidates for a first try and get them pruned up and shaped up. Except for watching Dave's (LASM) video and a couple other, I honestly have no idea about hand making trees. I have the material enough to do several at least.
I want to do a couple as white paper birch for some variety. Since I don't model anything in particular, it don't make dam to me so long as it looks good.

Since I'm NOT punching a clock for the next couple of days I can get some stuff done that I want to do.
I've already showered. Laundry is already in the dryer and the dishwasher just got cranked up.
Guess I've already got a good little head start on things.
Living alone there simply is not enough time in a day for me to keep up with anything around the house.

The best part is I get to sleep in a proper tonight!
I sleep on the couch downstairs during the week on the off chance I over sleep and they have to knock on my door.
I hate alarms and avoid them if I can. So far I've never been late. If I'm on the couch, the front door is only 15' or so away and I'll hear it. If I'm in my bed under that 6" down comforter I'll sleep right through someone knocking on my door - unless they ring the bell. Then I'll come out mad as a stepped on road lizard. (that's not good).

I have about half a mind to go start on pruning and picking out some trees. Knowing me, I'll hang with it stay up way too late. Not that that has ever stopped. :)
Since I can't post pics... arg...
E.

ERIC I had the same kind of troublethat you are having.
Let us see if I can remember what I did.

Are you using photobucket?
I think it has to do with the "size" of the photo.
Once I figured out how to downsize .. it seemed to work normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW HOW FUN WAS THAT!!!!
Just got off the phone with Capt. Weems after near about 30 minutes (probably longer).
Too fun. We sure have the same foul language.
Maybe I could have come off with some ATC talk:
"Weems seven-four-seven heavy, clear final lima-220, winds cross at 5"
"Descend out of four for two"

Next door neighbors were grillin out some goat but smelled great. I eased on over to visit.
They about $hit seeing me strapped up. Most are imigrants from Kenya including my little buddy (who ain't so little) Evenson. He's been knowing me for nearly 9 years now.
None of them have ever held a gun at all. That was fun and completely mind blowing to them.

Forget that stuff. Having a good chat with Capt. Weems was great pleasure!!
E

Good morning y'all . It's 66f and damp. Had some rain earlier and might get some more later. We sure need it.
My on going battle with the oak tree continues. There's a song with the lyrics- "A CARPET OF ROSES I"LL LAY AT YOUR FEET" , well I've change it to - A carpet of oak leaves from my porch to the street. Doesn't go with the song but that's what I have. Hey, it gives me something to do.

SHERREL- Have you visited the RAILROAD MUSEUM in PERRIS ?
Going to check a yard sale couple streets over. Be back later.
Enjoy the day folks.
Phil

Good Morning All. It's 40 degrees and clear here this morning. All of this talk about trucks brings to mind what some of my neighbor's say. They are basically farmers/ranchers and just need a truck for hauling feed, seed, tools, hay, etc. They complain about the overpriced trucks with all of those bells and whistles that they don't want or need. Ten stereo speakers, cruise control, remote this and that, excessive chrome and so on. All they want is a good sturdy dependable truck.
In the train shed, I am in the ballasting mode right now and did some more yesterday. Did some more ground cover and detailing. Mostly ran trains...probably switched 20 industries.
David -
Big E--I am waiting on three packages from different retailers. The bad thing is, I can't remember exactly what I ordered. I guess it is keeping me from ordering anything new until I see what I already have. If that makes any sense.
Sometimes I open drawers in the train shed and find stuff that I don't remember buying!
Ken in MD - Enjoy the show.
No rain in the forecast for a few days so I will end up outdoors more than in, so I am heading for the train shed for some time before sunrise.
Have a great Saturday everyone.

Willie

All of this talk about trucks brings to mind what some of my neighbor's say. They are basically farmers/ranchers and just need a truck for hauling feed, seed, tools, hay, etc. They complain about the overpriced trucks with all of those bells and whistles that they don't want or need. Ten stereo speakers, cruise control, remote this and that, excessive chrome and so on. All they want is a good sturdy dependable truck.
Willie

Willie: The auto manufacturers still make the kind of truck you refer to, Willie. Called a Work truck. Pretty much all basic stuff. Trouble is dealers don't want to handle them, unless someone is buying a fleet of them. Price is significantly lower, but you won't get much of a deal on them. My new beast is relatively basic, but still comes with a lot of neat but unnecessary stuff.

My packages arrived Thursday, MBK via UPS, and Trainworld, by mail. Post Office has a new wrinkle, an new routing which causes the package to sit overnight in Brooklyn, then cross the river, over to Karney the next day, adding two days to the shipping schedule. Of course, this is to provide us with better service. A Priority 2 to 3 day parcel, now takes 4 to 5 days to get to its destination. Four days from Pick-up to go 42 miles? Really?

Anyone heard from Louis, or our other MIAs lately?

Had a nice walk, met two home owners and a friendly Rottie. Both yard sales had usual items but no trains. I think it averages at one yard sale out of of twenty have train items. Oh well, it was a nice walk.

ttfn.
Phil

Good morning y'all . It's 66f and damp. Had some rain earlier and might get some more later. We sure need it.
My on going battle with the oak tree continues. There's a song with the lyrics- "A CARPET OF ROSES I"LL LAY AT YOUR FEET" , well I've change it to - A carpet of oak leaves from my porch to the street. Doesn't go with the song but that's what I have. Hey, it gives me something to do.
Phil

I have some oak leaves and branches to do battle with today, Phil. Want some sent down? :rolleyes:

Back