Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Well, I got some good news and some not so good news at work tonight. Starting Monday we will probably be working 7-12's for 4-5 weeks, maybe even 6 weeks. The money will be nice but I have to drive 55 miles one way to get to work. Won't be much time for anything else. This is what I used to want when I was younger..........now I'm getting to old for this. I guess I better enjoy this weekend. Plus today is my wife's birthday.

Better trade your vehicle for a helicopter.

Morning fellers,
62° heading towards 74 again today. Scattered thunderstorms are suppose to roll in around 1400.
Maybe as much as 2" by mid-day Friday.

Got the word on the way home yesterday that our remodeling are not expected to needed after May 5 (when Larry's Mom & sisters come to visit). He's planning on putting it on the market right after they leave circa 15th. That's roughly 5 weeks more of cash pay.
As much as I've been whining about days off, now I don't think I'd better do that and get every day I can in the mean time.
To be honest, I kind of don't know how to take that.
There is still a ton of work to do. To finish it all in 5 weeks would really be pushing it.
E

Looks like the Ford Assembly plant is coming along quite rapidly, ken. I like the possibilities it will present. Are you buying up all of the F100s you can get your hands on yet?
Joe, I have 45 1970 Mavericks available for that - no need for the F100's quite yet!:D

I have been working my memory overtime, trying to remember the track layout at Ford Edison. I believe there were three tracks that served the assembly plant, and either two or four tracks for loading the auto rack cars. I have to look for my Industrial switching book.
Oh yeah, this is definitely a micro-scaled-down version of the real thing. A single auto rack loading track is my only option at this point; whatever I can fit into 15'x2' is my goal.

Good Morning All. 61 degrees with scattered clouds here this morning. It did rain a bit yesterday morning, about .3". Lots of rain and hail South of here in the afternoon that missed me. As a diversion from the scenery work I have been doing lately, I am repairing cars on my RIP track. These are cars that didn't quite survive the move from the old train room to the new train shed. Yesterday I started on a Walther's LPG tanker. All of the posts, guardrails and one of the grabs are off, but I found all but the one grab. I'll be able to make this one from some wire.
Chet - I head for town (25 miles away) only once every 8-10 days and stockpile enough beer and groceries when I go. About 5 years ago, someone built a house around 3 miles away and that was the first one in over 10 years...it's getting crowded - LOL.
Lame - While most of my switches are controlled by Caboose Industries ground throws, there are a few that I use switch motors. Those I power with an old Tyco transformer that came with a train set 30+ years ago. I've been told that an old "wall wart" 12-16 volt power supply from discarded electronic devices, can be used but I haven't ever tried this.
Bob - Good news for you maybe...the last time I was paid by the hour was 1978.
Sherrel - I've been picking lettuce, spinach and radishes from the garden since Saturday. Today I am setting out the first 15 tomato plants now that we are past the frost-free date. Space was already prepared so the minor rain yesterday won't be a negative.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Lame - While most of my switches are controlled by Caboose Industries ground throws, there are a few that I use switch motors. Those I power with an old Tyco transformer that came with a train set 30+ years ago. I've been told that an old "wall wart" 12-16 volt power supply from discarded electronic devices, can be used but I haven't ever tried this.

I to use an old power pack. The a/c (accessories) poles I use to power my turnouts. The d/c (track) poles I use to power my scenery lights. I can use the throttle as a dimmer so to speak.
Willie is correct about using old wall warts. However, they really aren't meant for much loading so they probably aren't regulated so the more you put on one, the dimmer things may get. But if you get an old power pack that has a separate fixed D/C tap it more than likely is regulated.
All my lighting is done using LEDs so my loads are extremely low. In fact now I'm curious what sort of amperage I am pulling for those. Maybe I'll put a meter on it this weekend and check it.
E

BigE, you better slap a prohibition order on your boss as well for the duration.

Yeah, roger that! He hasn't fallen off the wagon in almost a month so I don't expect that to happen.
His dates aren't really carved in stone - except for when his family is coming into town.

You guys should try Becker's MRR Supply in New Brighton on Silver Lake Road.He is my only supplier. Has a web site, will get you anything. Prices are lower, too. Tell him Terry in Sarona sent you!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Yeah I google mapped the address but it just brought me to a parking lot. Looked at all the stores didn't see it. I'll try again after work one of these days.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Joe, I have 45 1970 Mavericks available for that - no need for the F100's quite yet!:D

Oh yeah, this is definitely a micro-scaled-down version of the real thing. A single auto rack loading track is my only option at this point; whatever I can fit into 15'x2' is my goal.

When I was working on the concept of modeling the Chester Plant, I noted that it would have to be drastically scaled down. I still have hope of fitting it in at some point, with maybe one track for multi levels, and two tracks for the plant itself. On the positive side, with only one track dedicated to auto racks, you only need to find one buck loader.
Interesting side bar trivia, while researching the Edison plant, yesterday, i found an interesting story, about how the Shelby Mustang GTs were built at Edison, then shipped to A O Smith for completion. They had reusable fiberglass hoods installed leaving Edison, which were a back haul once removed at A O Smith's plant.

In any event, keep us posted on the progress of your assembly plant. I will be following it closely.

Lame, I had the same problem finding a hobby shop in Joliet when I was working in northern Illinois a couple of years ago. I drove by the place twice using my Garmin. It was hiding in plain sight......literally! I was LOOKING for it. Imagine what the chances of someone just stumbling in by accident were. A great shop with a great selection of EVERYTHING train related. If it was easier to find AND accessible by pedestrians, they could probably do a fantastic amount of business.

Good morning, America! Been a while since I've done the morning post, I almost forgot my old way of doing it. It was 61° when I got off work at 5:30. Not too bad! Got to watch a lightning show as I drove home. That's always a plus, even though I don't like rain.

I'll try to remember a few things here but I know I'll forget most of them but here goes.

Thanks Willie, for the link to the FWWR. The first time I saw one of their locos, we were stopped at a crossing. I don't mind be paid hourly, just wouldn't want to be paid weakly!:p

Garry, I hope things turn out well.

Dave, that's a great job on your backdrops, really nice!

Terry, I keep telling myself that it's more hours for my pension and more money in my annuity. It'll be worth it when it's all said and done.

Toot, I don't think a helicopter would be a good idea for me!

Everyone stay safe and chug on! I've got to get some sleep!

Good morning, 32 and cloudy. Headed for some light rain today.

I got my GP-18 ebay buy yesterday in the mail. I paid Monday morning and recieved it Wed. afternoon. Now, pretty tough to beat that service.

The loco looks as though it was not used. I took out the decoder and will be adding directional lights. The body is perfect.

GP18 001.jpg

This was offered by Model Train Liquidators of St. Paul, and I paid a tad over $44 and that includes shipping. Everything is there!

Is the decoder worth anything?

Good morning, 32 and cloudy. Headed for some light rain today.

I got my GP-18 ebay buy yesterday in the mail. I paid Monday morning and recieved it Wed. afternoon. Now, pretty tough to beat that service.

The loco looks as though it was not used. I took out the decoder and will be adding directional lights. The body is perfect.

View attachment 56572

This was offered by Model Train Liquidators of St. Paul, and I paid a tad over $44 and that includes shipping. Everything is there!

Is the decoder worth anything?

Where is the decoder, all I see is the P2K light board for the 1.5v bulbs.

Good morning. 35 and partly cloudy up here this morning. Yesterday we had a bit of a scare. A big bright object appeared in the sky yesterday for about 10 minutes, but it shortly disappeared and a rain snow mix came back.

I agree with Joe when it comes to working with code 70 track, not hard at all. I started hand laying code 70 track and turnouts and finished my layout with Shinohara flex track and turnouts. With the exception of some code 83 in my hidden staging area, the entire layout is code 70. The smaller rail joiners could be a bit trying but as Joe mentioned, a quick check of the Rail at the web makes laying the track easy. I did run out of rail joiners and with no hobby shops around, track laying almost came to a stop. Having torn out an N scale layout before starting the HO layout, I had a lot of N scale rail joiners left over. I found out that they work extremely well on code 70 track.

Dave - Enjoy the locomotive. I always liked the paint scheme of the CNW but can't justify why one would show up here in southwestern Montana in 1957. I did see quite a number of them at the Montana Rail Link shops in Livingston, MT back in the 90's. The must have purchased a whole herd of them. Livingston is their rebuild shop. Bet they ended up being painted blue.

Also waiting to see how Kens auto plant comes out. There were so many industries that I would have liked to model, and an auto plant would have been a good choice, but not in the area I am modeling. That really limits what I can do.

Eric - No locomotive yet ????

Garry - I used Google Earth to find hobby shops last February while I was in Daytona. Worked pretty well.

Willie - Unfortunately, I do have to go to town on Friday nights while bowling leagues are running. I can't believe the traffic coming out of town. I keep asking myself, where did all these people come from. When I moved back home, you could lay down and take a nap in the middle of that road (US-191) in the middle of the day. It was only 2 lane back then. Now, OMG. Can't get on the highway in the middle of the day. My wife gets an early start on Saturday mornings to do the shopping for the week and is usually back by mid morning before things get busy.

Back