Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

What has me confused is they sent like 9 wired terminal joiners for a 4x8 layout. I guess I'm not to sure what these are for. I would assume I use one to power my layout. And also do I need a separate power supply or does the power cab do all of that. I haven't read over that info yet so don't jump at me if it seems stupid I am asking lol. Thanks.

Good evening y'all...

Dave - your oil truck photo is incredible, it definitely evokes a "mood"!

Joe, your eyesight must be way better than mine - once I paint my track, I can't even tell what 'code' it is! I use code 83 for everything...

Speaking of trackwork... Now that I finally got rid of that stand-up freezer I was posting about last week, I'll have the entire west wall of my trainroom available. I'm going to build a compressed 'veneer' of a Ford assembly plant; it'll have 4 spurs, plus a two-track yard. As a proof-of-concept, I mapped it out on XtrkCAD and did a "virtual op session" of switching the plant. It took me about 90 minutes - which most likely translates to two hours if an inexperienced operator does that job.

CLW_FMC_ext.gif

That was the easy part...now I have to finish cleaning out the area, paint the bare part of the wall, build the shelf, and come up with money to buy the 11 Peco #6 turnouts and 30+ ft of flex track needed to complete this thing!

C-ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
What has me confused is they sent like 9 wired terminal joiners for a 4x8 layout. I guess I'm not to sure what these are for. I would assume I use one to power my layout. And also do I need a separate power supply or does the power cab do all of that. I haven't read over that info yet so don't jump at me if it seems stupid I am asking lol. Thanks.

There should be a wallwart type power supply in the box.

Howdy ..... We are leaving in the morning to be out of town for a while to deal with a family emergency. Not fun . I don't know how long, but I hope to check in when I can ....

I hope each of you has a nice rest of the week

I used the wired terminal joiners. ran the wires to the circuit board for the nce. That's how their booklet showed it. Now I just need to figure out if I can run a dc loco with it.

No, most definitely not. Totally different electrical wave form.

Good late evening all,

This afternoon I decided it was time to get out 4 cycle string timer and wack the tall weeds, 2-3'+ depending on the type of weed and very thick, along my driveway and down to the road and cut the weeds on the banks on both sides of the entrance back too. I finished the worst portion on one side down to the road about 275', went across the road and trimmed around the mail boxes and started back up the other side but ran out of gas and decided I'd done enough for today but I can feel it alright.

Say What? ???? Not for nothing, but since I retired, I'm very busy, doing all the things I didn't have time for when I was working. Not to mention the unexpected tasks that circumstance thrusts at one. I imagine that you and others who have retired from a fixed hour job are in the same boat...Nothing to do my a**:mad: The answer to such comments is when I can get to it. Then feign forgetfulness when someone reminds you of it...

Say Joe: My centiments exactly, it seems we are/can stay busier than before.

Good morning all, it is a beautiful sunny spring morning in Northern MN.

I snapped a couple photos of the new and final landscaping area of my layout last night, here is an early morning shot:

View attachment 56552

David That's a very nice shot and your scenery looks great and blends perfectly with your back drop. It looks just great!

Trussrod- Thanks for the info! I will keep it in mind. I believe they say 23" is satisfactory for it and 18" is the bare minimum. I'll so some measuring and see what I can do.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Even though the Manufacturer of your AC? Loco, says it will handle a 23" radius I go with something even a bit larger. You can always add some extention side boards to make your table top wider for your loops. Probably the best thing to do is to temporarly create a 23" radius and test run your Loco and at least one car to see how it likes that radius.

Good morning. 45° an sunny. It's still quite windy, this morning.

Yesterday, I ran my first train movement on my permanent Code 70 main track - all 5' of it :rolleyes:. Now to find my long drill bit... I actually have 11' of flex down along with a #6 crossover. I also have the bulk of the Kato track packed away, so I can continue working with the Code 70 flex.

Say Joe: I like using code 70 for my earlier Loco's and cars as it looks so much more prototypical. The code 55 even looks better yet but is getting a bit shy on rail head height.

Howdy ..... We are leaving in the morning to be out of town for a while to deal with a family emergency. Not fun . I don't know how long, but I hope to check in when I can ....

I hope each of you has a nice rest of the week

Say Garry: Sorry to hear you have to make a trip under those circumstances. Lets hope it isn't too bad? Talk with you later.

I used the wired terminal joiners. ran the wires to the circuit board for the nce. That's how their booklet showed it. Now I just need to figure out if I can run a dc loco with it.

You can't run an analog engine with NCE.

Good morning. 29*F and calm in my part of MD. Frost covers the lawn and vehicles.

Garry - sorry you have to travel for that reason...hope everything goes ok.

Can't find the coffee utensils, guess Terry or [E]ric will have to handle that detail. Have a great day!

Morning,
It's 46 and heading to 75 today.

Terry, delivery expected for tomorrow!
I'd still like something in the BNSF orange and black.
I'm still thinking SD70ACE or up.
E

Good Morning Everyone. Overcast and 68 degrees here in North Central Texas this morning. Either a very heavy dew or some sprinkles overnight, will know after it gets light. Made the long distance grocery trek yesterday including extra stops at Wally World, the vitamin shop, a nursery and Jersey Mike's subs. That killed three hours. Mowed the rest of the yard and hoed the onions in the garden. Spent only 1 1/2 hours in the train shed, mainly rehabilitating an older Walthers two-bay airslide covered hopper. Glued parts back on, added weight, metal wheels and scratchbuilt a missing end brace for it. That's another one off the RIP track.
Ken in MD - Too bad about the firewall. Your Ford plant looks like it will offer some really good switching opportunities.
Dave - Your backdrop continues to impress me.
Garry - One of my advantages of living so far out in the "boonies" is that folks don't ask anymore. I do step in if I think they are embarking on a project that may be over their heads. I have enough to keep me busy after a number of years where I didn't have time to keep up with my own life. Good luck with the emergency. Looking forward to your return.
Curt -
Stupid and obnoxious people that feel they are owed something is a major reason that I decided to retire when I did.
I hear you brother. The last year that I worked, I did absolutely nothing, just showed up and got paid...well. But it was not challenging and the stupidity of those people and the drivers that I encountered on my 100 mile daily round trip commute was too much.
Eric - Why do you need a nasty rainy weekend for that? It's possible even when nice.
Everyone have a good day.

Willie

Eric - Why do you need a nasty rainy weekend for that? It's possible even when nice.
Everyone have a good day.

Willie:
Because [un-invited] people are not likely to just show up and interrupt my day of peace and solitude.
I'm also well known to turn my phone ringer off. Since I also now have a loaded beer frig, I won't be so inclined to check messages and get my side-tracked unless I'm taking a break and checking in here.

Maybe I should change my signature to "Eric - Master of Hermits".
That should give you an idea. :cool:
E

Morning guys. 43 degrees and light rain here today in the twin cities area. Hopefully it stops or I'm not working.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Eric
Willie:
Because [un-invited] people are not likely to just show up and interrupt my day of peace and solitude.
I'm also well known to turn my phone ringer off. Since I also now have a loaded beer frig, I won't be so inclined to check messages and get my side-tracked unless I'm taking a break and checking in here.

Maybe I should change my signature to "Eric - Master of Hermits".
That should give you an idea. :cool:
E

I challenge you on that "Master of Hermits", I don't even own a cell phone and I live so far out that the only people that are likely to show up unannounced are Jehovah's Witnesses! Then I just take my hearing aids out and tell them to disappear. The sign by my door that says "We don't call 911" helps with them as well. LOL
Willie

I challenge you on that "Master of Hermits", I don't even own a cell phone and I live so far out that the only people that are likely to show up unannounced are Jehovah's Witnesses! Then I just take my hearing aids out and tell them to disappear. The sign by my door that says "We don't call 911" helps with them as well. LOL
Willie

I may take you up on that challenge. I haven't had a cell phone in over 8 years.
My phone is an internet phone so I usually shut the ringer off and let it take a message.
If they don't leave a message I won't call back - even for family.
JWs quit coming by here since I started answering the door with my S&W 1911 strapped on.
For that matter, I'm strapped up even while in the train room.
I recognize most everyone's knock on my door so sometimes I simply won't answer it.
E

Good morning guys, 40 and light rain. It sounds like the air is too warm for snow, earlier they were calling for 8"!

It got up to 62 here yesterday, warmest day in at least 4 months, I believe. It really felt good.

Thanks for all the comments on the phillips 66 photo. That must be the best one.

Good morning y'all. It's a sunny morning at the Jersey Shore, perhaps a tad chilly at 26°, but otherwise a beautiful Spring morning.

One thing about living in Jersey, is that it's impossible to be a Hermit. There is always some sorry individual encroaching on your space, or somehow trying to get over on you:rolleyes:.
Ken & Sherrel: Outside of the tiny rail joiners, working with Code 70, is no worse than Code 83. The secret to the joiner issue is to use the Dremel to file a hair off the side and bottom of the web of the rail. I like it because I attempt to model Secondary Main Lines, where the main running tracks are built with lighter rail. Code 55 is too small, for the '60s and '70s, C83, a tad too large. As a concession to reality, I also keep my magnifiers handy :rolleyes:.

Curt: I hope to have some photos soon, but I need to dig out the camera. Every time I try to upload a photo from my phone to the forum, it uploads upside down :confused:.

Garry: Be careful, in your travel. Hopefully things will work out for you and family.

Speaking of doing for others, I'm currently attempting to do my MIL's Federal and PA taxes. PA (Pennsylvania) must mean pain in the a**. Does everything in that state have to be so difficult? And they say NJ is bad? :confused:. The first thing I noticed was that her "high priced" CPA, [$220, for Federal (standard deduction) and state, (flat rate)], consistently misspelled her last name. Wonder what else he got wrong?:confused:.

Gotta complete the dofors.

Back