Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good evening. It's clear and 38.
One year ago today, I had to leave work, and drive to my brother's house. He had been feeling poorly, having had seemed to be a really bad cold, and he continued feeling worse, even after he had gotten over the cold. I called an ambulance, and he was transported to the hospital, and admitted to ICU. He seemed to have developed multiple issues which had suddenly developed, from a blood clot in his heart, to renal and liver failure. Initially, he seemed to be improving slightly, but it turned out to be a final rally. I got the phone call we all dread at 4:30 on Saturday morning, telling me he had passed on. He had retired, and moved here, a year previously to his death.
I won't revisit the events of the following week, only to say it was extremely stressful. He was cremated, with clear directives as to where his ashes were to be placed. That has yet to happen.

I remember all that and the events that followed. Sorry you have to remember.
Same goes for me every Jan 13 regarding my Mom.
E.

Terry, So sorry for your loss, yes, I know it still stings after a year. Hopefully his ashes will be laid to rest this year.

Howdy .... You guys are busy .

LASM ... Thanks for commenting about my photos.
Chet ... Thank you for remarking about my photos. I, too, fondly recall the great trains before Amtrak. .... Your vehicles and downtown scens look great.
Sherrel .... LOL at the sign on the back of the truck.
Willie ... Your little beauty shop looks good.
Gary P.. LOL at the video of the "locomotive".
Ken ... Thanks for complementing my photos. Your downtown signs and buildings look nice.
Terry in Wisconsin ..... I like that GN locomotive. What is that green thing? LOL.
Terry in NC ... I remember your telling us of last year's tragic loss of your brother and some of the events following. I know you can'y really forget such things, but I hope your emotions are recovering.
Eric ... Be patient with teh windows and you will get them right.

Here is an old brass 4-6-0 I bought long ago when I was modeling the 1900 era. I still have it because I just don't want to get rid of it.

DSCN3028.jpg

DSCN3027.jpg

Evening fellow Gandy Dancers and Spike Drivers,

I spent the afternoon up on my roof again checking things over and replacing and securing some of the tarrpaper patches that were blown off with the high winds from a couple of weeks back.

Ken: Thanks for explaining to me what the hoods were sticking up from the roof of the diesel units. I had no idea they used the same thing like some of the older steam loco's used, especially on the Narrow gauge and possibly even on the standard gauge where the lines ran through areas with lots of Oat field grasses near the tracks to prevent fires. So the hoods are like what they called the Old Bear trap stacks to catch the cinders and deposit them near the rails rather than in
the fields. Very interesting, I never realized that diesels had that problem too!

Your weathering looks real good on the loco's.

Curt: I'm glad you enjoyed seeing Jeffreys' picture again. I don't know why it was enlarged to such an extent to have the screen affect to it? That's nothing I did intentionally, at least I don't think so?

Terry: I apologize if I never mentioned my condolences about your Brother's passing away, I guess it just went over my head and possibly happened around the time Jeffrey passed away too? It's hard loosing a family member, especially a brother you must have been very close to. He will always be in your thoughts, I also heard our loved ones spirits are always around us so I hope you talk with him at times.

Garry, A little history on the ten wheeler? Looks as if it was made before the time that they started adding all the "trinkets" to the steam locos.
Sort of looks like some of those that I remember from Ken Kidder, or early Gem Models? Anyhoo! I like it.

Terry in Wis, "The Meet" .. very nice except for the Big Nothing Green Monster that ate the Frisco .. I hate that color, lol.

Terry[NC] - condolences on that painful memory! BTDT, last week was the third anniversary of losing my sister.

33 and cloudy here today.
Supposed to get my lighted Budweiser sign and a rattle can of dulcotte today.

Good Morning. It's clear and 50 degrees this morning in Willie's world. Yesterday I fired up the tractor and mowed about 1 1/2 acres. More to come. Later today I visit the dental office for teeth cleaning. Funny how I don't get a discount after they removed five teeth 6 weeks ago?
Thanks to all for the comments on the pictures of the Beauty Salon.
Chet - I have viewed your videos and have seen your pictures, and it looks like we both have a fondness for the same structures. I really like the DPM kits, simple to assemble...a little more work to detail which is OK with me. I have at least a dozen on the layout currently and I still have a stack of them (many duplicates) that I have amassed over the years in preparation for expansion. Using different colors, different detailing and different viewing angles, you can hardly tell there are duplicates. I use a lot of the "Smalltown" structures as well.
Garry - Nice pictures. I never got to see any CB&Q trains when they were running, even though the FW&D line ran about 60 miles west of where I grew up.
Sherrel - Too bad with the ongoing woes with the sprinkler system. I feel your pain in a different way, instead of sprinkler lines, I occasionally have to deal with an older septic line. When that happens, it would be nice to have that truck parked in the yard! Great suggestion on turning the building, I will try it. Can't re-arrange the road as the mainline is angled and there is a turnout and industry spur just off to the right.
Eric - I make signs with the computer all of the time. I either use Excel or I find a suitable sign or interior shot with Google and download it into Word to manipulate it. No need to use Java. Also, like Sherrel said, I use rattle cans of flat white when I need to start over.
Ken in MD - Looking good. I echo your statement about full-time work. Since I retired a few months ago, I have been slowly adding interiors to structures. See comment to Eric.
Dave - I like your use of the buildings. I have previously used one of them as a liquor store in another part of the layout. Haven't assembled the third one yet.
Terry - Belated condolences. I did not participate in the Coffee Shoppe back then.

Onward into the day. Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning all. 33 degrees to start off the day.

Terry - Sorry to hear about your brother.

Willie - The DPM and Small Town building kits are great, especially for the transition era. With just a little bit of work (and eye strain) they can be made into excellent looking buildings. By changing trim and brick color, two identical kits can be made to look totally different. I also like the Walthers Merchants Row kits. These too can drive you nuts painting windows. Here's the Merchants Row 4 kit I put together.

attachment.php

These are also excellent kits. I enjoy city scenes, such as Garry's, but where my railroad is set there are no large cities. I did use a bit of modelers license and the towns, real locations, were enlarged to what they could have been if a railroad was serving the industries in these towns. I really enjoy seeing Garry's photos. He has done a great job capturing the feeling of an active city. In the early 90's I had the opportunity to have visited George Sellios Franklin and South Manchester when just the first part of the layout was built. I was in awe of the detail he put into the layout. I sure would like to get to visit it again, but we sort of avoid large east coast cities in our travels.

I sure appreciate all of the talk about paints. I went through a multi year period when I didn't have to buy any paints because I had a pretty good hoard on hand but now that many have been used up or have dried out, I am learning all over again. When I was doing a lot of custom painting, Floquil was the go to paint for me. When them no longer in the picture, I feel like I am starting from scratch learning about the new paints. Unfortunately, I have no hobby shops in my area, so conversations such as we have here on the forum are a big help. THANKS

Good Morning, 20 above and cloudy. Gonna be 40 this weekend. Can hardly wait for the snow to melt!

I read someone mowed 1 1/2 acres yesterday--I gues I am out of touch with the down south weather, so the grass pretty much grows all winter?

More later

Chet: Don't know if you caught Alan's reply after your post in the "Let us spray" thread that Ken started.
He suggested Iwata's Com-Art stuff.
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/paints/com-art-colours/com-art-colour-kits/
Since Micro-Mark was out of stock on the one I was interested in, I emailed Alan this morning and asked him to get me a price.
Alan happens to be the airbrush dealer I was mentioning about the other day.
I called him yesterday but he was at work and couldn't talk long. I meant to call him back last night when he got but I simply forgot.
E.

Ah har! Good one! Actually got me to laugh on this one. I need some more color on my layout. I have several Chessie models but not much in anything else.

Justin
You can look into picking up a WM engine or two, they were certainly mixed up/in with Chessie's other stuff. Both the black and yellow and red/white/black stuff would add variety.

WOW!!! Paint alert... don't expect that Vallejo color combination I was interested in (#29034). At least not from Micro-Mark. I just got off the phone with them and the lady there said they don't expect them for at least 60 days.
Guess, I'll keep shopping... sigh....
E

You can look into picking up a WM engine or two, they were certainly mixed up/in with Chessie's other stuff. Both the black and yellow and red/white/black stuff would add variety.
I had a Western Maryland unit....it found the floor as well. Haven't gotten around to ordering a replacement as of yet. I'd like to have a solid B&O unit as well. Just not the B&O GP30 from Bachmann.

Justin

Back