Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Got the pictures I promised this morning. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I might spend weeks looking at a nine square inch area before deciding what to do with it. This is one such place. A couple of pictures...one from the back and one from the front:
View attachment 56066View attachment 56067
This is a Grandt Line structure, part of the Reese Street Row houses that I have made into a beauty shop. Unfortunately the front is not visible at normal viewing angles (the road is and it is straight). Still need vehicles and maybe a person or two. In looking at the picture, I will have to "plant" it a little more.

Willie

Willie .. Nice job, but I do believe that I would turn it at an angle to be seen .. even though it may be backwards to the road, or move it back and run the road btween the house and the track.

THANKS Sherrel, not quite sure what to do at the end of the powerline. Maybe I will cut them off flush?

Got an idea! rUN THOSE WIRES down to a large transformer (built with a fence around it) and place a couple "buried line" signs around.

About those power poles and lines, I sort of wanted to put some on mine. And I was going to hang wires as well. I figured I'd just cut them off from the nearest pole to the edge of the table. Then I decided "I'm running modern era stuff so all my utilities are underground anyhow". I know, I'm taking the easy way out on that deal and made up my own make believe. Thanks to Dr. Fred Rogers for that "skill".

Yeah Dave, Capt. Weems is talking about a small sub-station. That would be cool. I'll rethink that. Maybe have some gas-line heads for underground stuff as well. Probably I'm shy on real estate as it is. I barely have enough room to put in a small village - much less a "proper town" with streets and stuff. I don't even know where I could put this little Pikesville JUnction station I'm building. No matter. I just like building stuff anyway.

Well crap... 3rd coat blue didn't work. It almost looks black. I don't like it.
YOu can see by the smear of blue on the paper that wasn't what I was going for.
So now that little project is on hold.
P3020006.jpg

Well crap... 3rd coat blue didn't work. It almost looks black. I don't like it.
YOu can see by the smear of blue on the paper that wasn't what I was going for.
So now that little project is on hold.
View attachment 56070

Aww, "E" .. Next time try getting a rattle can of flat white (sort of use it as a primer coat). That will allow your "true blue" to show, I think?

Aww, "E" .. Next time try getting a rattle can of flat white (sort of use it as a primer coat). That will allow your "true blue" to show, I think?

And one would think with all the kitchen remodeling I've been doing I would know better.
Yes, I do know better so "dumb a.. on me". I just thought acrylic paints on plastics might be different.
Lesson learned the hard way! Won't forget now.
Then again, thus my call for a mixed variety of paints.

Good afternoon crew!

Garry - I always enjoy looking at your big-city passenger terminal photos, they capture the 'feel' perfectly!

GaryP - priceless video!

Dave - I like the 'sag' between the power lines on your poles. I've always struggled with that when modeling the lower-down heavier bundled phone lines - kind of hard to do with sewing thread...

Willie - nice work on the salon.

Chet - someday I hope to [once again] have 'main street' scenes similar to yours, like I did on my old layout. Didn't quite have the same vehicle 'density' though!

Sherrell - looks like you've got the hang of posting photos!

Eric - bummer that the paint set you wanted wasn't available!

Ditto what Dave said. Do you make them yourself using a color printer?
Color inkjets opened up a whole 'nother world for me modeling-wise! I used a cheap Epson to produce the signs/posters on some of my buildings, For some, like the ad posters in the Rite-Aid windows, I scanned a Walgreens sale flyer and shrunk it down; others, like the signs in the USW union hall, were done using MS Word.

MRI_three-qtrs_left_01.jpg

RiteAid_and_USW_01.jpg

I goofed with the black-background signs by printing them on white decal paper, should've just used regular paper. The black ink is brittle and it cracks when it dries, leaving all those little white lines. I'll have to replace those before I put these buildings on my current layout.

MRI_front_head-on_01.jpg

As for detailing the interiors - that is something that will have to wait until the days when I no longer need to work at a full-time day job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Color inkjets opened up a whole 'nother world for me modeling-wise! I used a cheap Epson to produce the signs/posters on some of my buildings, For some, like the ad posters in the Rite-Aid windows, I scanned a Walgreens sale flyer and shrunk it down; others, like the signs in the USW union hall, were done using MS Word.

I goofed with the black-background signs by printing them on white decal paper, should've just used regular paper. The black ink is brittle and it cracks when it dries, leaving all those little white lines. I'll have to replace those before I put these buildings on my current layout.

As for detailing the interiors - that is something that will have to wait until the days when I no longer need to work at a full-time day job!

Especially that last photo, the signs are VERY nice!

Getting the sag in the power lines? It was easiest with the EZ line product, although not easy to get all the lines sagged about the same.

I made some power lines with thread and used a method I read about in MR magazine. Hung the thread from the ceiling, weighted the bottom, then coated them with a light coat of water/elmers glue.

The problem I hit was when I went to affix them to the poles, little kinks appeared where the thread bent during the application. Over time, some of that has disappeared. However, if I do any more power lines, the EZ line is the way to go.

Also, if (when) you (or someone) snags it with a sleeve the EZ does stretch and bounce back.

I really like the looks of the power lines, and have considered possibly putting some in on my layout but I am sure that at some time I'll catch them with my paws and ruin them.

Golly mercy... how much more complicated can this get?!
(oh, I know better than to ask that!)
Just got off the phone with Alan, the airbrush guy.
He prefers the Tamiya paints for spraying but also likes the Vallejo paints for brushing.
I want dual purpose whether I have to thin it for spraying or not.
That doesn't scare me.
I kind of wish I was ignorant about it about again and just did it - like when I built the space shuttle launch facility. I didn't know a thing and just did it.
I suppose it's one of those things in that opinions are a dime a dozen.

The Tamiya paint is terrible for brush-painting( don't askeme how I know) but very good for air-brushing but you have to use the Tamiya thinner ..
the Regular Vallejo can be brush painted and sprayed if thinned
The Vallejo Model Air is great for spraying ....I have never tried brushing it so have no comment.

Sounds like the Reguler Vallejo is more your dual-purpose choice BigE.

Wow!! Some great work being shown!!
Hope everyone is doing well.
Grandson #1 hockey team, Peewee A(12-14 years old) is playing in the Minnesota State Tourney this weekend up by David. Grand Rapids. Long Drive but we're thinking of going.
Trains are really running good but I'm the only one seeing them !!LOL!!

I also miss NG's posts. Hope it wasn't anything I said in the Coffee Shop. I feel bad.
That's all for now!

Another meet:

012_zpsmywwdees.jpg

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Stunning buildings and signage, KEN.

Eric, have you considered that new paint .. is it modelmaster? I forget.

Good evening. It's clear and 38.
One year ago today, I had to leave work, and drive to my brother's house. He had been feeling poorly, having had seemed to be a really bad cold, and he continued feeling worse, even after he had gotten over the cold. I called an ambulance, and he was transported to the hospital, and admitted to ICU. He seemed to have developed multiple issues which had suddenly developed, from a blood clot in his heart, to renal and liver failure. Initially, he seemed to be improving slightly, but it turned out to be a final rally. I got the phone call we all dread at 4:30 on Saturday morning, telling me he had passed on. He had retired, and moved here, a year previously to his death.
I won't revisit the events of the following week, only to say it was extremely stressful. He was cremated, with clear directives as to where his ashes were to be placed. That has yet to happen.

Back