Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Good morning. Sunshine and 46° this morning. What a change from yesterday :rolleyes:.

Burlington Bob: Good luck on the welding test...you should not have a problem, it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

Curt: WOW decoders do have a WOW price, eh? However, from all accounts, they work well and sound great. I use TCS silent decoders, without complaint.

Toot: All of the regularly assigned cars on the UP "City" trains were painted the same without regard to ownership, including Wabash and SP. The PRR even had sleepers painted in UP color when they ran through service via Chicago. However, I do like your concept of Wabash power, pulling the SP Daylight.So California...:rolleyes:.

L&S: Welcome back, it's good to hear you healed so quickly.

David: I knew this was coming, when I noticed the digital clock losing a couple minutes per day... Replacement (non OEM) batteries seem to last about 22 months before they go bad, which usually means either a freebie or a pro rated discount on the next battery. It's surprising just how much electronic stuff runs off the battery, when the car is just sitting there on the driveway.

Chet: I really enjoy your videos, caught another one at that forum down the street.

Today, looks like a good day to remove the remaining leaves, and put up the Christmas decorations. If I have any energy left, I will attach the backdrop to the module I have been working on.

Good Morning, 32 and cloudy. We have some real sticky wet snow on the ground, about 4", from a couple days ago.

Leaving to go take my welding test. We'll see if I still have it at almost 61 (next month). Where oh where did the time go!?!?!?

Good luck on the test! I took a welding course a few years back but never did anything with it. I always fancied having a shop along a road somewhere and fixing, making stuff.

Hey Big E--Here is an easy (and cool) log cabin for you--probably available at hobby stores as well as ebay:

cabin.jpg

Only about $12!

Toot: All of the regularly assigned cars on the UP "City" trains were painted the same without regard to ownership, including Wabash and SP. The PRR even had sleepers painted in UP color when they ran through service via Chicago. However, I do like your concept of Wabash power, pulling the SP Daylight.So California...:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the info, I thought I had read somewhere that UP insisted/required all participants to paint coaches in their scheme, just couldn't find any pictures of them. Didn't know about PRR's involvement. That artist's impression was on a Wikipedia Wabash page, shown as representing the City of St Louis, which made me wonder. Wishful thinking perhaps from a Wabash/SP diehard.

YA! That's more like it! Thanks, E! Going to order em today and fabricate my 'car holder' later so swapping them out will be easier, I'll post a pic of my particular design using not what I wanted but what was at hand.

Yeah, and they got 96 packs in stock, should keep ya goin' for a coupl'a'days.

I dun'no if anyone read an earlier post of mine re a Genesis 'ACe, Cat demonstrator #1201, I bought (and successfully returned) that had what appeared to be either a bent down at the front shell, or chassis, or both. Just received another from a US source this time which exhibits the same fault/s?, though maybe not as severe. This has the shell with the isolated cab and I did ask if anyone else had noticed this fault with one they had got. Seems now to maybe, be a general failing with possibly all the ACe's with the isolated cab. These are available in at least UP, BNSF and I think KCS as well, so I'll ask if any owners of those has noticed this problem. Doesn't seem to be in the non-isolated varieties.

Yeah, and they got 96 packs in stock, should keep ya goin' for a coupl'a'days.

Almost too true! The hundred I ordered will only do 25 cars. Not counting unbuilt kits I have, to my surprise, a solid 100 laying around the layout and over half 'need work' of one kind or another to get them up to what I want for weight and/or wheels and/or couplers.

When changing the wheels, what if any type of lubrication element or compound should I use and how and where exactly should said lube be applied? Graphite powder? Graphite stick? High grade nose oil? What is a 'best' solution from the experience out there?

New guy, you can use labelle medium lubricating oil for axle bearings.

Never heard of it.

Is gun oil light enough? 3 in 1? I may have a line on getting some hair clipper oil, I hear that is good to use. I have actually used 'nose oil' on fishing reels, it is good but in limited supply.

Howdy

Curt ... Your control tower looks great.

Karl ... The lighted BL2 photo looks good.

Toot ... I think the cars are UP colors and not SP Daylight. However, it appears an artist touched up the photo.

LASM .... I like the log cabin.

NG ... LaBelle is a brand of lubricants made for model trains, and I have been satisfied with that brand. ...... I especially like the powdered teflon for ends of axles.

Never heard of it.

Is gun oil light enough? 3 in 1? I may have a line on getting some hair clipper oil, I hear that is good to use. I have actually used 'nose oil' on fishing reels, it is good but in limited supply.

Hard to find people that will allow their nose's to be squeezed to extract it?

Well, I still have it......... passed my test! Thanks for all the support, though I never saw all the comments til I got home. Still, it makes a guy feel good to read them, thanks again. I got hired today by the contractor and would get eight hours pay, pass or fail, and laid off. Now I have to wait my turn on the call out list, which will be my rehire after my layoff. They can't make anything simple. Took about six hours start to finish.

Waiting on my wife to get back from her parents house. We have to go watch a Christmas program that my middle granddaughter is in tonight. Then next week, our oldest is doing hers. Both are in choir and really enjoying it.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but my wife and I became grandparents for the third time July 3. Our son and daughter in law had a girl.........their first and last. She's a lot of fun! Wife's home, got to go!!!

Well, I still have it......... passed my test! Thanks for all the support, though I never saw all the comments til I got home. Still, it makes a guy feel good to read them, thanks again. I got hired today by the contractor and would get eight hours pay, pass or fail, and laid off. Now I have to wait my turn on the call out list, which will be my rehire after my layoff. They can't make anything simple. Took about six hours start to finish.

Waiting on my wife to get back from her parents house. We have to go watch a Christmas program that my middle granddaughter is in tonight. Then next week, our oldest is doing hers. Both are in choir and really enjoying it.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but my wife and I became grandparents for the third time July 3. Our son and daughter in law had a girl.........their first and last. She's a lot of fun! Wife's home, got to go!!!

You haven't been on here in a long time Bob!
I kept thinking I recognized your signature line and then I noticed "central Il.". Now I remember!
You are in "Forgotonia". Weren't you involved in tearing down a power plant earlier in the year?
You'd be impressed with the progress on my layout.
E.

Evening All,

MOH volunteered at our grandson's school most of the day so I vacuumed the house, mopped floors and dug out the Christmas decorations. My son was off today so he made homemade spaghetti sauce (delicious) for supper. MOH is in the kitchen baking cinnamon rolls. I am a lucky guy today.

BLI responded back to me late today. They will mail me a new soundboard within a couple of days, and asmentioned yesterday they asked for the bad one back. I talked to my DCC friend Jon and he said he has already replaced 2 of them and it takes around 15 minutes.

Karl- Great picture. Is it a RS unit?

Burlington Bob- Congrats on the new job and granddaughter.

WJLI26- You are right they are expensive, but they sound awesome and are very easy to program. There is a problem though, my DCC guy has had to send several back to the manufacturer because of sound file corruption.

Logandsawman- Awesome looking cabin.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hey Big E--Here is an easy (and cool) log cabin for you--probably available at hobby stores as well as ebay:

View attachment 54234

Only about $12!

Funny. That's about exactly what I had in mind and was trying to build.
If they made sheets of "log walls" like they do with brick and block walls. That would be fine also and I'd still go ahead and scratch build them.
E.

Back