Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

I have a tube of 'greas-em' in my hand and I am going to drop it in the trash! It's graphite GLITTER CHIPS not powder! Goes EVERYWHERE but where you want it!

LOL! Good point! "Badgress" is much more apt.

Grease-em can be a little "chunky", but it works ok. FYI, my tube of BSA Pinewood Derby graphite is much, much finer.........don't give up on graphite.

Grease-em can be a little "chunky", but it works ok. FYI, my tube of BSA Pinewood Derby graphite is much, much finer.........don't give up on graphite.

The only place I want graphite is extremely small amounts in the coupler pocket. Kadee does offer it. I have some that has been sitting in a parts drawer for decades, but is still good. Needless to say, DO NOT PUT IT ON THE RAILS. Curt pasted about this a couple of weeks ago. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Good morning, America! It's good to be back here, you don't know how much you miss something til you're gone for awhile.

By BigE;

You haven't been on here in a long time Bob!
I kept thinking I recognized your signature line and then I noticed "central Il.". Now I remember!
You are in "Forgotonia". Weren't you involved in tearing down a power plant earlier in the year?
You'd be impressed with the progress on my layout.

BigE, the area I live in was called Forgottonia back in the 70's as a way to get the attention of our state politicians. The "governor" was the son of my 6th grade teacher. There's info on Wikipedia if anyone's interested. As for tearing down a power plant, no, but I did work the refuel part of the outages at five nuclear power plants this past spring. We take the reactor apart so the fuel handlers can do their thing, then we reassemble it. We try real hard not to tear anything up, let alone tear one down!!!:eek:

I agree with Montanan, just a very small amount of graphite on couplers as needed. I used very small amounts of 3-in-one oil back in the early 80's on my track. It did help with electrical contact but I don't think I would use it again unless I had 100% steel wheels on all my rolling stock.

Thanks again for all the congrats on my welding test and my new granddaughter. Did I tell you how beautiful she is? And smart? And talented? Well, you probably get the idea!

I was shocked to find the old hardware store near me had NO graphite sticks! This is the kind of place with stock older than the old guy working there, it's got 'that smell' of a store that has BEEN there for a long time! GREAT place and usually has the 'impossible to find anymore' items! Really sad and perplexing to watch the old boy search and search he was as surprised as me! We did go thru a bunch of way cool old tools and items HE did not know were there and he's been there since I 'was a kid'! LOL! It is THE go-to place for individual hard to find hardware though, you can buy 1 or 100 and the prices are excellent! Guess I'll go with the ATF on the rails and synthetic or clipper oil on the wheels.

New Guy - There is a product called Rail Zip that can be used to keep good electrical contact. I know another modeler who uses it and he does like it. He was having intermittent contact problems and it did eliminate contact problems. He would put it on the rails, sparingly at various points along the tracks and a passing train would disburse it along the tracks.

http://www.cleantrains.com/id43.htm

It looked like an oil to me, but he swears by it. I haven't tried it because I do have some pretty good grades on my layout and I am afraid of losing traction on the grades. His layout is fairly flat with gentle grades and he has no problems. You may look into this product. It claims to eliminate oxides that can build up on the rails which can cause loss of conductivity. He is a DCC operator and he said that it did take care of a lot of problems for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Guy - There is a product called Rail Zip that can be used to keep good electrical contact. I know another modeler who uses it and he does like it. He was having intermittent contact problems and it did eliminate contact problems. He would put it on the rails, sparingly at various points along the tracks and a passing train would disburse it along the tracks.

http://www.cleantrains.com/id43.htm

It looked like an oil to me, but he swears by it. I haven't tried it because I do have some pretty good grades on my layout and I am afraid of losing traction on the grades. His layout is fairly flat with gentle grades and he has no problems. You may look into this product. It claims to eliminate oxides that can build up on the rails which can cause loss of conductivity. He is a DCC operator and he said that it did take care of a lot of problems for him.

Thanks, I will look at and try anything I can get till I find what works for me.

OK, new guy, you lost me somewhere post #911 and post #944. This started as a question regarding lubricant for wheel axles and ended up with you indicating that you might use "synthetic or clipper oil on the wheels". Did the topic switch to electrical contact or are you still referring to axle lubricant? Clipper oil or RailZip is for the rails like the ATF...I don't use either because I never had a need. I would think that any oil on the wheel axles bearings will attract dust and eventually "gunk" up. Also thanks for your insight on the 'grease-um'. Like I said, I had not used it, just heard or read about it somewhere. If you are having trouble with wheels turning in the trucks, try using a "truck tuner" first. It reams/smooths out the bearing surface in the truck. Very useful if you use any equipment manufactured over ten years ago. I even use it on new equipment as part of my initial inspection of all freight cars.
Willie

OK, new guy, you lost me somewhere post #911 and post #944. This started as a question regarding lubricant for wheel axles and ended up with you indicating that you might use "synthetic or clipper oil on the wheels". Did the topic switch to electrical contact or are you still referring to axle lubricant? Clipper oil or RailZip is for the rails like the ATF...I don't use either because I never had a need. I would think that any oil on the wheel axles bearings will attract dust and eventually "gunk" up. Also thanks for your insight on the 'grease-um'. Like I said, I had not used it, just heard or read about it somewhere. If you are having trouble with wheels turning in the trucks, try using a "truck tuner" first. It reams/smooths out the bearing surface in the truck. Very useful if you use any equipment manufactured over ten years ago. I even use it on new equipment as part of my initial inspection of all freight cars.
Willie

They all effect each other in some way and ALL of this is 'new snow' to me! I AM a total 'newb' and not too quick to begin with so I have tendency to 'tangent'. The truck tool is on the 'must have' short list, but most all my shopping has to be online due to a lack of nearby outlets for MRR stuff. Money is chronically tight so orders are few and far between. It sets a slow pace for me and that is a good thing, I can digest one thing at a time, I tend to 'shotgun', but too much going in too many directions makes em all go too slow.

I got into this bassackwards with WAY too much starter money and not enough research and/or knowledge! Built a GINORMOUS table and bought a crapton of things that I had NO clue about! Been learning the HARD way about a lot in a short time! Circumstance forced my hand and there was no way to keep back enough for the thousand and one 'little things' I knew I would need and knew I did not know what they were! The forum was invaluable in clueing me onto things to get while I still 'had money' but that only got me thru the control system and which loco's were worth buying department. Tools and techniques were so far down the road from what I HAD to learn first, like benchwork, track laying and programming locos, just the basics were enough to keep me confused for months. Now I'm 'poor' again! I've got the makings of a really cool layout and I still need 'everything'! Sorry if I ramble a bit. LOL!

Good morning everybody !

Burlington Bob ... Congratulations on passing the test and the job.

Chet ... BL2's to me are not ugy. I describe them a unique. EMD was part of GM, the car company, and evidently the automotive stylists had too much influence. The KY Ry Museum has a Monon BL2 in good condition which they operate occasionally. I sometimes use Rail Zip, and it works well.

Below is a photo of my 1950 Fruehauf livestock trailer which I made in recent days from a Sylvan Models kit. ... I still need to purchase a tractor to pull it.

livestock%20_zpsdqiv0qvk.jpg

New Guy - I would bet that you aren't the first person to jump into the hobby feet first without having the knowledge or a plan. I have seen this happen a lot of times in reading through posts on this forum and also on others. Nobody starts off as an expert. We were newbies at one time or another.

I learned a lot when I started my first N scale layout in the early 70's that was small enough to slide under a bed. When I was finally able to move back home to Montana, I incorporated my little layout into a large N scale layout with over 11 scale miles of track. This was a very good learning experience. I was finally learning what to do and what not to do. I also had no hobby shop at all near me and back then there were no internet or online retailers. I finally got disgusted with the lousy N scale locomotives that were available at the time, tore everything out and started my current HO scale layout.

It can be a slow process and a slow learning curve. Model Railroad magazines were a big help for me. I would look at some of the featured layouts and just drool at the photos. There are always "How To" articles in the magazines. Some had no relevance to what I wanted to do, but some were spot on, but I would think to myself, "I can't do that", until I gave it a try.

Shazam and holy cow, I can do that. I had no experience in custom painting, but with a little practice, I found that it was really quite easy once you tried it a few times. Scratch building and kitbashing were also something I didn't think I can do, but now I really enjoy the challenge and also the end product. I never thought that I would be able to hand lay track, Wrong, I could. Weathering locomotives and freight cars seemed like something I couldn't do but with a little practice, I found that I could. It may not be up to the standards of other modelers, but it is My Layout and I am satisfied. Scenery is another thing that I wanted but didn't think I could do it, but learned how. I'm satisfied with it, but do see areas where it can be improved and it will be in the future.

Some people aren't interested in scenery and could care less. They want to run trains. To each their own. It's their layout and the only person that they have to make happy is themselves.

You have the space that a lot of modelers would give their eye teeth to have and I can see so much that could be done with that space. Maybe you should slow down, step back and do a bit of planning on what you want to accomplish. You have plenty of track, locomotives and rolling stock. You are learning things slowly too. It won't all come at once. I have been working on my layout for over 25 years. Others here on the forum I'm sure have been working on theirs for quite a time also and learning as they go also.

Maybe you should step back and take a deep breath and decide exactly what you want in the way of a layout and make a plan. Yes, make a plan. You may not need to put it on paper, but just decide on what you want. I can see that you have learned a lot since you started here and you seem to want to learn more. I'm sure that the folks here on the forum will be more than happy to help yu move forward.

Yes, money can be an obstacle, but you don't have to do everything at once. You seem extremely excited about the hobby, but I also see a bit of frustration too. It all won't come at once, but give it time an I'm sure that you can come up with a layout that you, your family and friends can enjoy.

Garry - Another outstanding photo. Well done.

Never heard of it.

Is gun oil light enough? 3 in 1? I may have a line on getting some hair clipper oil, I hear that is good to use. I have actually used 'nose oil' on fishing reels, it is good but in limited supply.

I missed all the later discussions, but this product is designed for model railroaders and is a multi purpose lubricant.

Labelle fine oil for "Z" / "N" / and small "HO" locos:

LaBelle #108 is an Extremely versatite lubricating oil and has an unlimited number of light duty uses for home, office, or labratory, such as --
--For Small HO, N, and Z size scale model railroads- (OK to apply directly to motor brushes and bearings). Axle bearings on both cars and locos, smaller HO locomotives, including Steam Engine Valve gear.

Labll108 (110x216).jpg

The instructions call to use the tiniest amount and wipe off any excess.

........ but I would think to myself, "I can't do that", until I gave it a try.
Been there a bunch of times!!!

But there is always the converse to that. You think something is going to be easy and it ain't.

I came up with a saying when I was a sr. analyst and had a boss who was notorious for making up time estimates on projects for us. He would talk people into agreeing with his sand-bagging time estimate by leading with "how hard can that be?".
After surviving a few of these projects I came up with this:
"As soon as someone says 'how hard can that be', it is inevitable you'll soon find out".

It's one of Big E's laws of programming I have written down somewhere.
E.

Hey new guy, I understand where you are coming from, we've all been there. My first layout was a couple of over & under ovals with 18" sectional track on a 4' x 10' plywood board with only two turnouts. I had some Tyco and LifeLike trainsets with horn-hook couplers. So you're starting off a bit better, like montanan said, "You have the space that a lot of modelers would give their eye teeth to have", and a reasonable set-up. I learned a lot from that first layout like car and engine maintenance, as well as building structure kits. Initially they all just sat in the center of the loops with no rhyme or reason. I think that you are doing the right thing by setting up a bunch of track to get your feet wet. That way you can run trains while you figure out what you want to do next. Even today, I construct benchwork and roughly figure out what I want to do; then temporarily set up track to see how it works and get clearances for industries etc. Eventually you might settle on an era and railroad and sell or give away equipment you don't really need. I wish I could be by your basement door if that happens - LOL. If not, there's nothing wrong with that. I still have around 100 pieces of rolling stock suitable for the 50's when my main focus is on 1978-1990.

On other subjects:
Micro-Mark's tuner is around $20. The one I have was in a plastic bag on my LHS pegboard, I don't recall if it had a brand name. Reboxx has one also, but I have read that it is a little shorter than the Micro-Mark one. Try one before you lubricate the journals on your trucks to see if it resolves your issues.

Since I run DC which is less finicky, I cannot comment on the advisability of using Wahl's or other oil on the tracks. Clean track is really the key. I have some Woodland Scenics "dust monkeys" on all of my cabooses (cabeese?) which keeps normal dust at bay. I vacuum the track about every 9-10 months or as I think about it. I run a track-cleaning train about once a year just as insurance, but I probably am over-killing. Of course my layout is not in an older dusty basement so it is easier for me.

Keep with it and keep asking questions. There was no Internet when I started modeling, so it is much easier to learn now.

Willie

Good morning everybody !

Burlington Bob ... Congratulations on passing the test and the job.

Chet ... BL2's to me are not ugy. I describe them a unique. EMD was part of GM, the car company, and evidently the automotive stylists had too much influence. The KY Ry Museum has a Monon BL2 in good condition which they operate occasionally. I sometimes use Rail Zip, and it works well.

Below is a photo of my 1950 Fruehauf livestock trailer which I made in recent days from a Sylvan Models kit. ... I still need to purchase a tractor to pull it.

livestock%20_zpsdqiv0qvk.jpg
I would like to see a GMC crackerbox tractor available in HO scale.

WOW! Thanks for all the good advice guys! The forum shows it's true worth again, one question produces answers for others yet to be asked! I'm "whelmed"! GROUP HUG! LOL!

I DO need to pause the action and tighten it up a bit. I've got a lot of track down and it seems to be holding up, I've got 'enuuuuf' (LOL!) locos and rollers to keep me happy for now, getting em all tuned up is a good idea, and (sigh), yes, PLANNING (ok,ok!) for my next track set up seems to be a wise course. Now I have a hands on feel for what is possible I can fit in what I want along with what is actually needed for what I'M coming to think is a 'good' layout! (individual tastes may vary!) I'm also coming around to see the 'need' for scenery and industries, I think it really will enhance the 'trains going round and round'! The ledges that will carry my ramps up to the proposed 'high road' in the next plan will look mighty bare and that brown mdf needs some green. Going back over my craptop pics and there is no perspective, just 'acres' of brown with black lines that might be track or might be something else, hard to tell.

Me thinketh the light bulb come on. appl.gif

You probably have on hand most of what you need to get a good start going. Yes, scenery does make a difference, even if it's just ground cover on the plywood. You have plenty of room available to put in a couple of towns with a few industries. I don't know what the situations is where you live, but maybe you can decide what you really want to keep and what you could part with to move ahead and plan on what you want to achieve.

Wax on, wax off grasshopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I DO need to pause the action and tighten it up a bit. I've got a lot of track down and it seems to be holding up, I've got 'enuuuuf' (LOL!) locos and rollers to keep me happy for now, getting em all tuned up is a good idea, and (sigh), yes, PLANNING (ok,ok!) for my next track set up seems to be a wise course. Now I have a hands on feel for what is possible I can fit in what I want along with what is actually needed for what I'M coming to think is a 'good' layout! (individual tastes may vary!) I'm also coming around to see the 'need' for scenery and industries, I think it really will enhance the 'trains going round and round'! The ledges that will carry my ramps up to the proposed 'high road' in the next plan will look mighty bare and that brown mdf needs some green. Going back over my craptop pics and there is no perspective, just 'acres' of brown with black lines that might be track or might be something else, hard to tell.

Document your stuff as you have it laid out now. Even if you never share it with any of us. Might give you some ideas in the future.
As for your brown MDF I might suggest you at least paint it with a light grassy-green.
I don't what MDF is by name but I probably do know what it is. How does it handle humidity and how is your basement for that?

Remember how my progression went?
1) naked plywood which got old
2) covered with white trim paint which also got old
3) made my own "dirt" ground cover
4) then started putting some "proper" grassy ground cover
..... and it all took off from there...

The thought of building another mountain after over 30 years added to my commitment to stick with it. It also helped that my neighbor thought I'd never do it. His jaw about hit the floor when I showed it to him a couple months ago. Guess he thought I was just talking big smack. I didn't really mean it get as big as it did but like my Marine buddy (PFC Harris) said to me once "go big or go home!".
I still don't have any plan nor do I think you really need one at this point. We're both "free-styling" so just throw down a little something and let it take you where it goes from there. As for industries, I think you have the real estate to do some major ones like coal, agriculture (grain elevators and/or cattle). LASM-Dave would have to help you with logging although I have done logging work [and survived without injury]. You could even do a seaport with some piers and intermodal crain stuff.
After all, we're just building our little make-believe worlds complete with geography and such. J.R.R. Tolkein did it with the hobbit books. C.S. Lewis did it with the Narnia chronicles. Frank Herbert did it with the "Dune" series. Douglas Adams did so with hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.
No one made up the rules that says we and can't do the same thing in our own way!!!
Arent' we all doing that already?

If I can't be there to help in person [and that's a standing offer], at least I can keep coaching/egging you on.
As for your broke loco, I'd be happy to fix it for you if you have the parts. Free of charge of course.
If it's something out of my league I won't touch it. No worry about that.
E.

Me thinketh the light bulb come on. View attachment 54249

You probably have on hand most of what you need to get a good start going. Yes, scenery does make a difference, even if it's just ground cover on the plywood. You have plenty of room available to put in a couple of towns with a few industries. I don't know what the situations is where you live, but maybe you can decide what you really want to keep and what you could part with to move ahead and plan on what you want to achieve.

Wax on, wax off grasshopper.

Sage advice there NG!!!! Listen to this guy!

But Chet, as for scenery material, I doubt he has any at all.
Remember when I first started into this (exactly 1 year ago today) I was b..tching about being tired of looking at my naked table. Someone, perhaps you, suggested to dig up some dirt, bake it and start with that. After a month or so of looking at that I decided to "take a chance" on some WS grass turf in a shaker and did a little test in one corner. Only a couple months ago did I find out WS publishes a catalogue with pics. Boy has that saved me a lot of time looking for something that would be ok in one spot or another.

It's all really ironic for me. How many times have I said "I am no artist"?
Apparently I don't give myself enough, or any, credit. One night talking with Uncles Jim ['Nam vet - Navy] after he saw my pictures on that little website I

..... standby.. phone call from Uncle Jim.....

Back