Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place.

coffee_pot.jpgflo.jpg

I been waiting in the rain for y'all to open! It's going to be a wet one today! A good day to lay track!

Howdy, y'all. Morning FLO ! Terry, thanks for the 'joe'.
Slight chance of showers later, should get near 90.
Wish all a pleasant day.
Phil

Good morning, 28 degrees with snow flurries.

Joe and Trussrod - I have plenty of leaves in the yard too, with snow on top of the leaves and then leaves on top of the snow. Anyone want to trade ??

IMAG0544.jpg

The coffee is good as usual. 57.gif Guess I have a sweet roll too.

Here are a couple of locomotives that probably don't need safety stripes. Might need industrial strength sun glasses to get near them. This is in Granite City, IL.

Granite City, IL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning Gents.
Think I'll build a cabin (or 2) to put atop the mountain.
Carey suggested to scratch build one using bamboo skewers from the grocery store.
Guess, I'll head to the grocery store then.
Need some laundry soap anyhow.

I have GOT to get this track cleaned up!!!! You can easily see the crud on the rail heads without trying hard.
To be honest, I'm surprised the trains ran as well as they did when Carey was here Sunday.
Later.
E.

Morning Gents.
Think I'll build a cabin (or 2) to put atop the mountain.
Carey suggested to scratch build one using bamboo skewers from the grocery store.
Guess, I'll head to the grocery store then.
Need some laundry soap anyhow.

I have GOT to get this track cleaned up!!!! You can easily see the crud on the rail heads without trying hard.
To be honest, I'm surprised the trains ran as well as they did when Carey was here Sunday.
Later.
E.

I'm finding a real spectrum in this track I got from 'dealer guy', some is almost 'new'(uncut but a bit dusty flextrack) and some of the brass I had to hit with the 320 on a block of scrap to get down to the rail,(SHINES right up!) it must have been sitting for a while! Then I hit em with a bit of file work where the fishplates go for some fresh metal, if it works I'll use it! No problems yet on the little bit I've cleaned and run on. Straight pitching into the 'scrapcan' the old fishplates off the old track. I live a mile from a scrap yard and they pay cash on the spot for metal, I made a killing off the old wire when we bought the house and rewired it. BUTT! You have to burn or strip off the old insulation to get the best price, STAY AWAY from the smoke!

I thought something special would be good for the new coffee shop. Here is a true one of a kind! PRR R1
PRR_R1.jpg

Good Morning, Happy Friday. It's a balmy, almost tropical 67° here in Central Jersey this morning. If it wasn't for the humidity, it would be an outstanding day.

Chet: Na, no trade. I'll deal with the leaves and enjoy the mild. However, your snow reminded me that three years ago to the day, just as we were recovering from "Sandy", a "surprise" snow storm dumped a lot of wet snow upon us.

074.JPG
November 8, 2012

Believe me, this ain't no tropical paradise. The only blessing from all that nasty weather was that the high winds made the leaves disappear, although I'll rake leaves rather than live through another storm like that.

Is it me, or did this week fly past?

Louis: That is something special, Later renumbered (to 4999, I think). Spent a considerable amount of time as the Baltimore Tunnel Helper. It was the runner up in the competition with the GG1, and the only 4-8-4 wheel arrangement on the PRR.

I thought something special would be good for the new coffee shop. Here is a true one of a kind! PRR R1
PRR_R1.jpg

I do remember that storm. You guys got the old one two. No hurricanes up here, but once in a while we might get a blizzard. We're also in an earthquake area, They do happen quite often, but most of the time you aren't even aware that they happen. We're just about 45 miles north of Yellowstone Park and they have quakes on a regular basis.

Good Morning, 37 and cloudy. Yesterday morning it was 57. Typical Minnesota weather!

Chet--Interesting photo of the two locos. Guess I can have prototype without doing any weathering.

Reminds me of one time in my youth seeing an entire train of what looked like spanking new SOO line box cars. All matched. I thought that was so cool.

Good to have the crew on board this morning :)

I do remember that storm. You guys got the old one two. No hurricanes up here, but once in a while we might get a blizzard. We're also in an earthquake area, They do happen quite often, but most of the time you aren't even aware that they happen. We're just about 45 miles north of Yellowstone Park and they have quakes on a regular basis.

LOL! We had an earthquake here in Mich back in the 80's, it was only a 3 or 4 but I remember I was in Muskegon on the west side of the state on the phone with my Grandmother who was in Detroit AS IT HAPPENED and we both started talking at once going "What the heck"! My coffee was going batcrap in the cup trying to splash over the side and the couch felt like I had took a SHOVE! It was just the one 'ripple' but it got the adrenaline going on BOTH sides of the state! Darndest thing, being on the phone at the right moment to share a natural disaster with my NANA!

So long as the earthquakes are frequent and so minor that you can't feel them I guess is a good thing. It means the plates are moving and not locked up like they are in California and other places. When the plates aren't able to move, a lot of energy is released when they finally do move and those are usually the big ones.

So long as the earthquakes are frequent and so minor that you can't feel them I guess is a good thing. It means the plates are moving and not locked up like they are in California and other places. When the plates aren't able to move, a lot of energy is released when they finally do move and those are usually the big ones.

I LIKE just having to worry about tornadoes and snow! Plus it's one of the most 'safe' general environments to wander in, not much around here will bite, sting or poison you, or try to eat you. Nowadays anyhoo.

PRR_R1.jpg

Hey, Guys, It's 37 this morning .. supposed to reach 70 with mostly clear overhead! Kind of chilly for this time of year. We actually had to fire up the furnace.

I see that we actually have FLO in the diner this morning; she has been around as long as I have (lol).
On my last 6 days of Chemo... Then back for a CT scan and visits with the surgeon and oncologist.
Prepared for anything, but hoping for a "Your good for another 50,000 miles".

JOE Are the drivers on 4800 ridged ? Or do they swing some way. I may not be making myself clear.

Trussrod One reason the leaves cannot be chopped up is that the mulch would be so dense that it would choke out the grass. When I lived back there, I had a riding mower that had two large containers on the back that the chopping's would go into.
I would have to empty them about every two passes thru the leaves. I could fill a dump truck .. lucky there was a woodsy ravine where I could dump them next door.

Louis I believe this is another "one of a kind". Anyone have an extra PA lying around. This would be a great build.

turbine.jpg

Good morning Gandy Dancers',
Good Morning Flo and Francine, I see you have the place all spruced up again.

It's a cool morning here in Coarsegold, Calif.
Lets see what WW has to say? It's Clear at 51.8 °F - Feels Like 51.8 °F;
Winds are from the WSW at 1.1 mph.;
The Barometer reads 30.30 in/Hg;
Humidity is at 63%;

I'm staying inside where if a bit warmer.

Good morning, 28 degrees with snow flurries.

Joe and Trussrod - I have plenty of leaves in the yard too, with snow on top of the leaves and then leaves on top of the snow. Anyone want to trade ??

View attachment 53557

The coffee is good as usual. View attachment 53558 Guess I have a sweet roll too.

Here are a couple of locomotives that probably don't need safety stripes. Might need industrial strength sun glasses to get near them. This is in Granite City, IL.

View attachment 53559

Say Chet: I think I'll pass too along with Joe, it does snow here from time to time but not on a yearly basis at least from what's happened in the past. It can get plenty Cold though with the higher elevations only about 18 miles away to the North and about 28 to the East.

For the most part though the weather is fairly mild during the winter.

I do see a very large branch broke off from an Oak Tree about 300 feet back along the sloping hill side that will provide a fair amount of fire wood if I can get to cutting it up? I haven't used my chain saw in quite a number of years so that's another repair job.

The two Diesels sure look like they just came from the paint shop alright and the colors sure bright but also refreshing to see!

Say Chet: Calif., also has a tremendous number of small quakes over toward the Coast South of San Jose in Parkfield.
There have been a couple fairly good ones even I felt. So I think, like you in that a number of smaller adjustments will hopefully alleviate a large one.

Hey, Guys, It's 37 this morning .. supposed to reach 70 with mostly clear overhead! Kind of chilly for this time of year. We actually had to fire up the furnace.

I see that we actually have FLO in the diner this morning; she has been around as long as I have (lol).
On my last 6 days of Chemo... Then back for a CT scan and visits with the surgeon and oncologist.
Prepared for anything, but hoping for a "Your good for another 50,000 miles".

JOE Are the drivers on 4800 ridged ? Or do they swing some way. I may not be making myself clear.

Trussrod One reason the leaves cannot be chopped up is that the mulch would be so dense that it would choke out the grass. When I lived back there, I had a riding mower that had two large containers on the back that the chopping's would go into.
I would have to empty them about every two passes thru the leaves. I could fill a dump truck .. lucky there was a woodsy ravine where I could dump them next door.

Louis I believe this is another "one of a kind". Anyone have an extra PA lying around. This would be a great build.

View attachment 53570

Say Sherrel: I didn't realize there were that many leaves but if the trees are Maples they do drop quite a few.

That's one huge Loco you posted and it even has it's own tender which appears to have coal on it too? I'm not sure if I ever saw one like that?

Say CHET .. Looks like the makins for a good bunch of snirt up there. I love that term. KC, Jersey, and St Louis had lots of that stuff in the winter. Come to think of it ... most of the first 50 years of my life .. was dealing with it in the winter.

Back