Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Thank you for your comment, Corey. Actually I thought that most of my problems were behind me. It appears that a couple new ones have literally popped up.

I hope that you are able to keep on your course. I know - from my daughter - that it is a tough road. My eyes were opened when I attended a meeting with her.

I wish there were some way that we could hear of Eric's - hopefully - progress.

Louis - I know that you have mentioned "house-hunting" a couple of times recently, good luck with that.

Willie
Thank you Willie, with my wife's blessings I am looking for a commercial/residential property. I'd like to find a brick warehouse to build a condo, parking area, batting cages, pitching mound, ample space for our new business and of course plenty of room for trains! There is one I want to look at near Seagirt marine terminal here in southeast Baltimore. My daughter said "that's a bad neighborhood dad" I told her "I'll try not to make it worse"

Good morning, 81 and humid today. Today's mission is to accompany the wife to her radiologist appointment, then stop at the mall and Costco.

Louis:
Looks like a four team pennant race in the AL East. fasten your seat belt, and enjoy the ride.
Sherrel, as you requested.
View attachment 58532
Last day of the #77 trolley in 1936 . Next day it will be a bus.
Boris I hope all is well with your wife.
You got to love Costco, I know I do!
Mall? Oh yeah, I remember, we still have them, but they look like ghost towns.
I love a pennant race! Who knew the Yankees had so many good young players in the minors? They may not be the Bronx Bombers, but they can't be counted out!

Good Morning All: 65 degrees with cloudy/overcast fog. High expected of 82 with severe clear.
I have been up going on 5 hours already, but just sort of staring into space and wondering what's next.

Well, In my case - medical wise - I got some really disturbing news last evening. I'm not quite ready to throw it out right now; I think we should concentrate on getting Eric headed in the right direction first. Later gang!
Sherrel talk to us when you are ready, but know our faith is big enough to handle what ever life throws at us.

Hi guys, just checking in. Curt, really nice hobo shot!

Getting ready for the training aspect of my new job, I will be in Dallas for one week and Lincoln Nebraska for a week. I haven't been on a commercial airline for over 30 years, luckily I fly out of Duluth MN which is a pretty small place. I plan on travelling light so am not checking baggage.

I had a photographer over last night and he took a hundred photos of the layout. I started dismantling it today. One of the local train buffs is going to take it, I think we can get it out of the basement in two pieces and he only lives a couple miles away. He can have it for free in exchange for getting the basement cleaned up. We have been showing the house and it looks like it will sell easily.

I am keeping a bunch of the smaller buildings and all the rolling stock, vehicles, and details.

Everyone have a great day and rest of the week! Tomorrow is my last day at my old job. I fly to Dallas Sunday so I am not wasting any time!
David enjoy your last walk out of that door at the old job :)
The photographer is a great idea, I can't wait to see some of the pictures.
I am so glad to hear you found a good home for the trains and even happier to know you are keeping some.
Godspeed my friend!

Well Gents,
I don't have long to chat. Just enough to say see you all sometime next week.
Apparently things are far worse than imagined.
I'm only here for a few minutes and we're back to the hospital to check-in.
Tomorrow, I'll be getting a trach and feeding tube.
I'm absolutely bomb-shelled!!!!
Without it, they can't start necessary treatments because they'll destroy what little of me there is.
And with treatments.... will apparently I wouldn't have a whole lot of time the way it sounded.

I'll miss you guys!
E.

E
we will miss you as well, hurry back to us!

I thought it was too obvious...
Terry some of us are not as "cultured" as you and Karl. :)

Other's Health problems keep my problems in perspective.
Corey your problem can be every bit as serious, thank God you caught it in time. Keep grinding my friend!

Good morning Everybody!

A somber mood here in the coffee shop.

I miss not being able to call Big E, but I am happy to know he is getting the treatment he needs. I only wish he could have caught this before he needed such drastic treatments.

Please Everybody go and get an annual check up, catch these problems before they get out of hand. I know my quality of life would be better if I had not been so stubborn. Being wheeled into the emergency room doesn't count.

If for no other reason than it makes good finical sense. I could have saved a fortune if I had practiced the preventive maintenance on myself I was selling to my customers.

That is how I ended up renting a town house. I had to liquidate many assets and slash costs to pay for the health care I need to survive. My wife even had to go back to work. Now I am finally on the comeback trail. That was over 10 years wasted and I'm only a shadow of the man I once was. Thank God my wife stuck with me through our decent from upper middle class to lower middle class life style. Thank God I survived. Thank God I now have health insurance.

Even in my case it was a drain on the local economy. I was self-insured, but instead of producing and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was spending nearly all I had accumulated on health care.

When you are ridding high that is the time to secure your position and the first thing to do is to take care of your health.

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

I neglected to say;

Have a great day everybody!

Stay positive, do your best and let God take care of the rest.

If all goes well this could be my neighbor; If I buy the property my boys and I will cut the grass, pick up the trash and make it look better!
IS5i5abmgv24f01000000000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone. 75° and mostly clear here in North Central Texas this morning. Went up to 95° yesterday and it is expected to be the same today. On the bright side, the pool has warmed up to 86° and I will get a few more days of use out of it. September is always an "iffy" month for pool usage, sometimes ending around Labor Day, sometimes making it to early October.
Didn't get much done out in the train shed yesterday, mowed in the morning, took my wife to a doctors appointment at 11:30, came home and napped and later we went out to eat for our 44th wedding anniversary which is today. Taking a few days break from installing curtains in the Ashmore Hotel structure that I am building... it is tedious, over 200 windows! I did continue to wire up the newest extension until I ran out of 18 gauge buss wire. Ordered another 500' reel while I was in town yesterday and I should have it Tuesday. Cheaper at my local electrical wholesaler than Amazon Prime.
Curt - I like the hobo scene.
Dave - Have a good trip to Dallas. While you are there if you have some free time, you should visit Discount Model Trains in Addison TX; which is just a suburb in north Dallas. They're open until 6:00 every week night. No website, but you can google them for directions. While there, try some Texas BBQ at Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse or Rudy's Country Store and BBQ. A good steak is not too hard to find either, try La Hacienda or Ruth's Chris Steak House. There's many others, but those are two that I have eaten at and can vouch for. Ruth's is kinda pricey though.
Sherrel - Wishing you the best regarding your hernia. My thoughts as well for the unknown ailment.
Louis - I echo everything that you posted this morning regarding health. I too miss the phone calls with Eric, It's a shame that we didn't start talking until this was already at this stage. I did try to encourage him to get to the dentist which he finally did, although I don't know if my prodding had anything to do with it.
Eric - Even though you probably won't see this post, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad that you had a change of heart regarding the trach.

Well, off on my walk I go. It's still a bit dark, but it isn't going to get any cooler today. As I mentioned earlier, today is my 44th wedding anniversary and I will spend time with my wife until she tells me to get away! :D

Willie

Good morning, happy Friday. 78° and overcast. Going to 96°, similar to Willie's weather. Family's going over to the beach for a while, I have stuff to do.

Boris I hope all is well with your wife.

Louis: I re-read my post and put in the wrong specialty. She went to the Rheumatologist, yesterday, for her RA. He changed her meds to an injectable form of Methotrexate, vs. the pills. should work better, with fewer side effects.

Good luck with the property search. Sea Girt MT was just being built when I came to Jersey, but I recognize the railroad.

Willie: Congratulations on 44 years together.

Curt: Nice camp scene.

Sherrel: This one's for you.
Rt7605trolleyon6thSt.atWelshSt.inChesterPa..jpg
Downtown Chester PA, in 1936. This location was adjacent to the PRR Passenger station

Attachments

• PRTDelcoMay1936.jpg
    PRTDelcoMay1936.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 161
Good morning. Starting off at 43 with overcast skies. Had to take off and do some digging work at a my boss's house. He was putting a new road into his house and had to bury a new culvert. The excavator operator had an accident and broke his ankle and I ended up having to finish the job so he could get in or out.

I was shocked when I saw Eric's post. Doesn't sound good. I am hoping that if they did want him in immediately thay they have a game plan.
God be with you my friend.

Morning All: High today expected to 90 with clear. (of course) For the next 7-8 days the highs will be like a bouncing ball from 93 to 78 and everywhere in between. Usually don't see those fluctuations very often, but the mind can't really recall that much about weather - at least mine.

I really wish that one of us would have asked ERIC for his father's phone number. Maybe we could get some news that way, or just maybe ERIC will give one of us a call - if he took a number or two with him, or if he is able to talk. Lotta "IF'S"!

JOE -- nuther great street photo and the map is great - I love looking at stuff like that.
Hope that the meds work with your misses.

LOUIS - you said a mouthful there - you have a very good talent for being able to express yourself in your writings. My Engrish teacher in HS once told me, "I sure hope that you become a pilot because you will never make it as an English teacher" .. I took her words to heart - lol.

Willie = trying to remember your pool temps for getting in. I had to use the heater quite a bit here - seems that my pool only got in the 80's a few weeks each year. I have no idea how these people get in the ocean with the water temps in the low 70's max. I did not like it unless it was about 82 minimum.
Congratulations for the anniversary - many more are wished .. and you are correct: Ruth Chris is on the expensive side for sure.

DAVE -- good luck, best wishes on your moving and training. Keep us in the loop!

Back again. Had to run to the eye doctor that did my surgery last summer to have a check up.

Louis - You are correct about having regular check ups. I do have to get regular physicals for my pilots license and a DOT physical for a CDL but I have a great doctor who can do both. I have been going to him for about 25 years and he is the sort of guy you can actually sit down and have great conversations. I am lucky to have excellent health for my age, but did have high blood pressure and instead of having me get one pill that was a combination of two different drugs which drug salesman push and are quite expensive, he suggested taking the two drugs separately at one eigth the cost. We also have joked numerous times about the drug commercials on TV. This man does his own research on drugs before he perscribes them. He is more like a friend than a doctor.
Are you going to be that close to the port?? Looks like you could get some good train watching in.

Joe - I am really enjoying your trolley photos. Life was a lot more simple back then.

Dave - Good luck in the Lone Star state.

Willie - Happy anniversary from me also.

Howdy .... We're home .... Looks like I have many of your points to read and watch up on. ... I do that later..... I have a lot of other stuff to catch up on.

I'll leave you with this picture I took on our trip.

Ohio Scenery as viewed from Interstate 75. ... Lovely.

traffic%20ohio_zpsoygo0odd.jpg

Garry - Glad to see you made it home safely. Sure am glad that we don't have to put up with traffic like that out here, but I do have a trip to reality when we take out road trips. Always nice to get back home.

Garry: That's just Ohio trying to keep up with Jersey. Good that you're home safely.

Chet, and Sherrel: Yes times were more simple back then, but I'm running out of photo sources for these street cars. There are a few more to upload. By the time I came into existance, all of these car lines were converted to bus routes. I did have the opportunity to ride a few street car lines, and a real Interurban Line while in my teens, although I spent more time following PCC cars down Woodland Ave, in Philadelphia, while driving to work. :rolleyes:

Going to make one last post for the day as I have to get ready for the first night of Friday league bowling. Have to get in early for a league meeting before hurling begins.

Joe - I had a couple of encounters with the New Jersey turnpike. Absolutely not my choice of places to be.

Here are a couple of photos of Consoidation 189 exiting the roundhouse and taking a spin on the turntable so it can go to work picking up a local freight train.

IMAG0871.jpg IMAG0866.jpg

Still thinking about Eric. Hope the outlook is good for the poor guy.

Will try to keep up with things on TapTalk at the lanes.

Last edited by a moderator:
CHET: That is just such a great photo of #189 being turned. The gentleman who built that turntable certainly did a wonderful job. Even "blown up" to 500% there are no flaws in his work.
Better call out the weed crew ... those tumbleweeds will take over, and they are a fire hazard as well.

Haven't checked in for a while; haven't had anything to talk about. Looks like I missed Eric, hope he's back soon and OK.

Willie, happy anniversary. Our 38th is coming along just before Christmas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back