Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Sherrel - Up here you do wnt your heater working properly. Nothing like getting up and pushing snow off the car at o500 at minus 20 degrees or colder. That's one of the winter pass times up here.

Mel - Where are you at up in BC? Been through there a number of times.

Afternoon All,

Didn't do much of anything today. Last night my back started telling me that it wasn't happy after working outside for a couple of days. I have learned to listen carefully from past experience, so today I took it easy. Today MOH's birthday present for me came in. She thought it was something else and opened the box next to me. Oops! I asked her for 2 Tichy 40' flat car kits for my TrucTrain project.

Chet- Great pictures. I like the "longer views" since it shows how everything fits together.

CA Dave- Interesting take on the loss of power. I love it. Everything has a prototype!

Mel- That looks great. How tall will the bridge be?

Terry- My son really likes Weird Al.

Sherrel- Good luck with the hernia. I worked with a guy with a very large one that bulged out his uniform shirts. We all called it Herman!

Louis- MOH occasionally makes suggestions that I take so I can to keep up her interest. She suggested the hobo scene with a LED fire which I did, but some of her suggestions just won't work.

Toot- I have almost 200 ebay purchases (mainly train related) and have had only 1 bad experience which ebay resolved in my favor.

Greg- I'm sure you know the MRR rule. If there is an issue it will normally be in the most inaccessible area of the layout.

Here is an early photo of my coal yard before it expanded to include heating oil.

20151230_130755_zpsl329xws1.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Didn't do much of anything today. Last night my back started telling me that it wasn't happy after working outside for a couple of days. I have learned to listen carefully from past experience, so today I took it easy. Today MOH's birthday present for me came in. She thought it was something else and opened the box next to me. Oops! I asked her for 2 Tichy 40' flat car kits for my TrucTrain project.

Chet- Great pictures. I like the "longer views" since it shows how everything fits together.

CA Dave- Interesting take on the loss of power. I love it. Everything has a prototype!

Sherrel- Good luck with the hernia. I worked with a guy with a very large one that bulged out his uniform shirts. We all called it Herman!

Louis- MOH occasionally makes suggestions that I take so I can to keep up her interest. She suggested the hobo scene with a LED fire which I did, but some of her suggestions just won't work.

Toot- I have almost 200 ebay purchases (mainly train related) and have had only 1 bad experience which ebay resolved in my favor.

Greg- I'm sure you know the MRR rule. If there is an issue it will normally be in the most inaccessible area of the layout.

Here is an early photo of my coal yard before it expanded to include heating oil.

I always liked that pic and scene.

Well Dad should be about 2 hours from getting here now.
I'm feeling kind of drowsing so I told him I'd leave the door open so just come on in.
E

Chet- I live in Chilliwack BC which is 64 miles East and a bit North of Vancouver on the Trans Canada highway #1. It is a small city of about 90,000. The CN main line runs through here, in fact I have the fortune (or some would say, the misfortune) of living about 200 feet away from the tracks. CP uses this track also. CP uses the CN main line inbound from Kamloops to Vancouver, and CN uses the CP mainline outbound from Vancouver to Kamloops. I get a lot of train watching, there are more than 40 trains a day with CN being the most interesting, they use a more varied number of locomotives,you never know what is coming next. The other day I saw a tandem truck hirailer pulling two full sized hopper cars going Eastbound toward downtown, too bad i couldn't get my camera out fast enough. sigh.........

Curt- I like that scene also, well done. My trestle is 124 HO feet at the highest point and is 232 HO feet long.

Mel

Good afternoon all,

The weather is fairly comfortable with a slight breeze.

Well, GENTS: Went to the Doctor this morning first thing. On the way I had the requested blood draw from my primary and chemo dr's. Then picked up a flu shot along the way. Doctor confirmed that I do have a hernia and to be very careful lifting much of anything. If it drops into the sac - emergency room quick! Appointment set up Tuesday with surgery department for a second opinion and, I presume, to schedule surgery on same. Like I said yesterday -- Dammit!

Shherrel: That's unfortunate to hear about your situation, but should be a piece of cake compared to what you went through last year!

A Baltimore City Fire Boat docked at the Canton Pier. This was demolished for the Conrad Hilton Hotel to be built. Newgate Avenue. Baltimore, Maryland. c1922

10678619_910611228963227_1229117206512605307_n.jpg

Boris I know you are familiar with Newgate Avenue.

Louis: That's an interesting looking Fire Tug and scene. I guess the tall appratus toward the back of the tug is to raise the water nozzle for greater reach?

Afternoon All,

Curt: Glad you enjoyed my explanation of my loss of power in my Loco's. It's as good as anything till I learn what's causing the problem. Interestingly enough, even the new Crest Hand throttle and sending unit connected to the new MRC Tcech 7 does the same thing so I'm really confused as to what's happening?? If my friend Harrison gets my Old Troller and Crest units working as they did I just use them as they always worked fine for me before!

Like others have said, I too really like the HillCrest Coal Dock shot, your using a lot of imagination which is great!

I also like your wifes suggestion of the flickering camp fire at the Ho Bo camp. I had the same idea and even have a couple of the flickering fire sets, but have yet to try and install it in the little WS camp fire scene. I guess I'll wind-up having to build a separate little tepee style fire to place the LED's under and even then the logs can't be too close together. I noticed even with the WS cast fire that when I found what I thought were small Oak sticks they looked too big from a scale standpoint compared to the size of the little guys hands so the hunt is back on. Maybe some small branches from the Bridle Wreath Bush might look more to scale or I guess I could try and split the Oak sticks down to size?

Chet- I live in Chilliwack BC which is 64 miles East and a bit North of Vancouver on the Trans Canada highway #1. It is a small city of about 90,000. The CN main line runs through here, in fact I have the fortune (or some would say, the misfortune) of living about 200 feet away from the tracks. CP uses this track also. CP uses the CN main line inbound from Kamloops to Vancouver, and CN uses the CP mainline outbound from Vancouver to Kamloops. I get a lot of train watching, there are more than 40 trains a day with CN being the most interesting, they use a more varied number of locomotives,you never know what is coming next. The other day I saw a tandem truck hirailer pulling two full sized hopper cars going Eastbound toward downtown, too bad i couldn't get my camera out fast enough. sigh.........

Curt- I like that scene also, well done. My trestle is 124 HO feet at the highest point and is 232 HO feet long.

Mel

Mel: That would have been a sight for sure to see a Hi-railer Tractor-trailer pulling a couple of Hopper cars down the the rails!

Take care all and enjoy this great hobby and the info exchanged on the forums here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel - Know right where you are. Have been through there on HWY 1. I can see where there can be a lot of train watching. A number of years back we went to visit friends in Calgary and then went west to Banff for a couple of days. When we left there we spent the night in Revelstoke where we stumbled across the railroad museum there. That was interesting and well worth the stop. From there we went west to visit friends in Langley. Enjoyed the trip a lot. Since then we have been back to Banff and then south to Kelowna and into Washington. Love the mountains in Alberta.

TOOT- I'm sorry I directed you to a bum seller on fleebay. The order I made from this seller more than a year ago went perfectly, good product shipped as stated, free postage etc.. Maybe a different person is selling stuff on the same site. Makes a person wonder. Mel

Not your fault Mel, weird part is he's already given me good feedback. Ebay are looking into it and are going to contact him. Considering the amount that's involved, in my case about AU$33.00 for the order and if I were to pay him the extra 20%, a bit over AU$6.00, I can't fathom his reasoning. If he were to say it's because of an increased postage for a bulk package, that isn't logical because whatever he's paying to send a $1 item individually is going to be more than 1 small package for 25 (we all know P.O.'s don't give free postage). Maybe I should have done 25 individual Buy it Now's??? Maybe I should never have asked if he could supply that many. I even looked up how much it would cost him to send a small package from HK to AU by the cheapest price and converted that into AU$ and it was about $3-4 all up. His ebay FV @ 9.9% would work out to about to US$2.50 which would have applied regardless of how they were sent. By my figuring, he should be refunding me for saving him postage, but at a AU$1.30 a piece, I wasn't intending to ask him to do that. Just weird.

Not your fault Mel, weird part is he's already given me good feedback. Ebay are looking into it and are going to contact him. Considering the amount that's involved, in my case about AU$33.00 for the order and if I were to pay him the extra 20%, a bit over AU$6.00, I can't fathom his reasoning. If he were to say it's because of an increased postage for a bulk package, that isn't logical because whatever he's paying to send a $1 item individually is going to be more than 1 small package for 25 (we all know P.O.'s don't give free postage). Maybe I should have done 25 individual Buy it Now's??? Maybe I should never have asked if he could supply that many. I even looked up how much it would cost him to send a small package from HK to AU by the cheapest price and converted that into AU$ and it was about $3-4 all up. His ebay FV @ 9.9% would work out to about to US$2.50 which would have applied regardless of how they were sent. By my figuring, he should be refunding me for saving him postage, but at a AU$1.30 a piece, I wasn't intending to ask him to do that. Just weird.
Isn't it possible his supplier raised prices on him when he tried to reorder? Didn't you buy him out, and he had to get more? Of course, if that was the case, a simple note to you saying he could only honor the advertised price on what he had in stock would have stopped all this. Engrish is his second language, yes?

Howdy .. I hope each of you is doing very well. We begin our trip home tomorrow. It has been a nice visit with family members.

Isn't it possible his supplier raised prices on him when he tried to reorder? Didn't you buy him out, and he had to get more? Of course, if that was the case, a simple note to you saying he could only honor the advertised price on what he had in stock would have stopped all this. Engrish is his second language, yes?

On his (or her, the avatar on the feedback pages shows an attractive young woman) reply to my inquiry re availability, there was a pic of the item with a reference to the number remaining, I took this to indicate that seeing there was plenty, to make the order through the ebay listing. His/Her English isn't too bad actually.

I have just received an email to say the items have been shipped. Seller has a 98.8 rating, but on checking feedback, I did find several references in the negatives to a reluctance to refund and one having the same experience as me. Confucius is confused.

Price: US $0.99
Buy it now
Watchers: 95
Quantity Remaining: 259
New Condition

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis- MOH occasionally makes suggestions that I take so I can to keep up her interest. She suggested the hobo scene with a LED fire which I did, but some of her suggestions just won't work. of the layout.

Curt I wish my wife would make a suggestion! I think she secretly wonders "why does my husband play with toy trains?" I wish I could share the joy they bring me with her, but at least she never complains about the time, space or money they take up. In fact she has bought for me the most expensive pieces I own. I can't show her something I like or she will order it! I don't buy everything I like, but so far she has been spot on with what she has ordered. She even has her own account at the Lionel store to surprise me. I am the luckiest man alive or right at the top of the list!

Louis: That's an interesting looking Fire Tug and scene. I guess the tall appratus toward the back of the tug is to raise the water nozzle for greater reach?

Take care all and enjoy this great hobby and the info exchanged on the forums here!

David I don't know, but I will repost the picture and maybe someone else can help us, good question!

10678619_910611228963227_1229117206512605307_n.jpg

E you are the man! God bless you and your Dad.

Garry good to see your post, Godspeed my friend!

Sherrel I am sorry to hear you have to face another surgery, but it should be a piece of cake for an experienced man like you. God be with you my friend.

Forgive me Everybody for not addressing each and everyone of you. Yesterday was too busy and today is looking like even more stuffed into the proverbial 5lb bag. Oh well, nothing to it but to do it!

Have a great day Everybody!

PS I talked to Phil, he is still bothered with his PC acting up, but otherwise all is well, he sends his best to all of us.

Good Morning Everyone. Another warm morning at 77° and clear. At least the humidity is only 46%. Back to mowing today, as the grass is looking very ragged on the south side. I did haul and stack about two weeks worth of firewood yesterday that I cut up earlier in the week. Some of the muscles are complaining today.
Had an electrical gremlin while wiring up the new passing siding yesterday. Had power to the entire siding except for a two foot section containing two turnouts, in the middle. Problem was that there were no power hook-ups past that section, so it was acting as a buss without actual track power!:confused: Never could figure it out. So after two hours, I just disconnected all feeders that I hooked up Tuesday, and reconnected them all and everything worked.;) Wiring usually presents no problem for me. After that episode, I just got into the pool and drank beer.

Louis - I know that you have mentioned "house-hunting" a couple of times recently, good luck with that.
Corey - Keep it up. Small steps are better than no steps.
Terry - All right now, thanks for the video. :cool:
Mel - Interesting information regarding your part of BC. Thanks.
Garry - Have a safe return trip. Looking forward to more layout photos.
Eric - Good luck with the surgery, my thoughts are with you.

Regarding the tower on the tug. I believe that enables the operator to direct a stream of water down over the sides of other boats; as opposed to arching up and over without visual guidance.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning. 50 degrees and overcast this morning. I think Louis would like these cool temps from the way it sounds. A high is expected to be in the high 60's.

Curt - Nice photo. Always enjoy them.

Garry - Hope you have a safe trip.

Eric - Nice to see your dad visiting again. Hoping things go well.

Mel - Waiting to see that trestle installed. Looking good.

Sherrel - Hernia - That sure sucks, but it is something that has to be addressed. You'll feel better in the long run. By the way, the heater is working a lot better now.

Guess I should do something so I am going to get out of here for now. Later

Eric - Good luck with the surgery, my thoughts are with you.

I have ZERO intention of getting a whole put in my throat.
And if they want to reschedule me for that MRI then they better figure something else out because I can NOT handle that machine.

Back