Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Eric - What a bummer. They're more interested in their money than the problems that the patient has.

The rifle is a .223 cal.

Sherrel - Sound like Murphy paid you a visit.I haven't had any internet at home because the room with the cable is torn down. I haven't broken my phone, but I can do without the internet for a few days. If worse come to worse, I can use my phone for a wi-fi hotspot and use the laptop I guess. Have to keep up with the forum on TapTalk on the weekends.

Dave - Nice photo, interesting scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric - What a bummer. They're more interested in their money than the problems that the patient has.

No doubt. The Dr. didn't give me that impression at all either.

Forgot to mention my consultation cost $156 paid upfront.
E

Eric - sorry to hear about your situation, that totally sucks!
<RANT>I've never understood why dentistry is considered a different "genre" than medicine. If this was an ER and you showed up with a broken ankle, they'd have no choice but to treat you. But since this isn't "real" medicine, they can get away with blowing you off - shame on them!:mad:</RANT>

Joe - I can vouch for the ME flex track, that is what I used when I repaired a track section in my steel mill last month. It took me a lot less time to shape it, clip it and install it than Atlas flex would have taken!

Time for me to get back to work...

Good morning fellow 'Rail Setters and Spike Drivers',
Hi Flo & Francine, The place is fairly busy today with lots of varied conversation. Glad you ladies are not opposed to having guns in the place, we are all very responsible with Our Weapons so rest easy. I'll have some coffee and a Apple Fritter. Thanks Flo.

Clear
78.3 °F
Feels Like 79 °F
N
Wind Variable

Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 29.94 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 49 °F
Humidity 36%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth 42" and still falling and cold! Burr!! LoL

Actually though this is very unusual/unseasonal weather for July but I'm not complaining at all!!

Another Terry's Safety Tip:
Even though Leah & Perrin's Low Sodium Worcestershire Sauce has the same size, shape, bottle color, label shape and color, and even color of contents as Not Your Father's Root Beer, it is not the same.

Not even close..

You're welcome.

Heading to the kitchen now, to spray Easy Off on my tongue...

Say, Terry: I think your trying to tell us you've had a personal experience with the Worcestershire Sauce and Root Beer? That was a rude awakening alright I'm sure! But what's the bid deal with the Oven Cleaner, I thought that tough guys always used that stuff to brush their teeth with and paint remover to gargle with! LoL

In all seriousness though, I somewhat knew a kid many years back who actually drank Bleach!

Good afternoon fellas!

55 hour work week just about got me last week, so yesterday the kids came up and we spent the day with the 5 month old in the pool. He kicks, he splashes and has a great, fearless time in the water. He really loves being in the water, either on his floaty or whoever is holding onto him. He holds onto nobody!

View attachment 57770

Yard work is done now, nothing else on the agenda for today.

Terry. I can laugh because I did something equally as goofy one morning. Stumbling into the bathroom one morning, I wet my toothbrush, opened the cabinet and promptly put Right Guard gel on my toothbrush. :p yech! Now I wait til after the shower before I brush my teeth....I'm more awake then!!:rolleyes:

About the ümlaüts Real easy to do, just visit HERE for them, and lots of other crazy signs © ♣ ♠♫ ♀ ♂

Garry I love the trolleys. I've got quite a few Mehano & Bachmann trolleys, but an old cast metal Bowser outperforms them all.

L8ter gang, gotta go shopping on the Bay for some parts.

Say Karl: I'll bet that was a wake-up call alright! ?? LoL

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning. Once again it is hot as Hades here. It seems to rain in the evenings now but that doesn't help with the day time temps. When I first moved here in 1995 it would rain everyday (summer) at 2 pm like clockwork but it's not like that anymore.

It doesn't sound like the rescue is going to happen. We got the story last night from the person in charge of the FL Skunk Rescue. Evidently the young skunk had a GI infection causing diarrhea. The skunk has recovered so the owner wants to keep him. It kind off pisses me off that just because the animal had diarrhea you want to get rid of it? Unbelievable!

Today I reached a MRR milestone. I did my first DCC project. Before you think I did more than I did, The loco already had the Bachmann DCC installed, so each truck already had a power lead and I did not have to isolate the motor for DCC. I cut off the Bachmann board and soldered on the Digitrax decoder. First I tested movement then attached the lighting leads and tested. I added weight and put the shell back on. Of course I put the shell on backwards so I had to remove and turn the shell around (GE 44T). I verified everything worked like it should on 03. I had some issues getting the loco to accept the 4 digit address, but after 3 tries it was accepted. I played with CV2, CV5, and CV6 until I got what I wanted. As a final test I did a lap of the layout forward and in reverse with no hesitation. It also pulled 6 cars without issue. I now have a nice running loco.:D

CA David- It sounds like you have a great neighbor.

Terry- I will keep that in mind LOL.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say, Curt: Yes, Joe is a very good friend thank God as well as being another Model RR'er. The thing of it is though, he lives 25 miles from my place just one way too and makes the trip like it was nothing even hauling his utility trailer and powered walk behind string trimmer.

Cut/

Continued:

Good evening ....

Thanks everybody who chimed in on the discussion of streetcars.... It is still a long way off and things change over time. However, I am thinking of nonfunctioning trolley wires even though the Bachmann streetcars have a toggle to enable power from the trolley poll.

Joe, You mentioned the Bachmann gas electric car. I have one which I upgraded with the NWSL power track. I highly recommend that. My doodle bug is now a reliable, smooth runner.

doodw2110_zps06049a3c.jpg

Say, Garry: Very nice senes, both of the city and the Trolleys as well as the Doodlebug which I think is very interesting, probably too modern for my C&S West Short Line? Maybe, when the line Foreman isn't looking I could sneak one in, you suppose?

GEE WHIZ !! Social Studies and Grammar lessons . OH yes, and Weather reports. O.K., here is mine- 76f- humid,clear going to hit 97 again but with a good chance of 98f- Heat index again 107 or higher. 30% chance of rain ,None so far last three days my area. Rains skirted south and west which is weird as the east coast counties were getting t/s.

Curt- How did Rescue run go?

Hope y'all have a GOOD day . Family,food and fun.
Phil

Say, Phil: Ja, wir haben sie alle! Yes, we have it all!

Good morning ...

Thanks everybody for commenting on my streetcars photo. I do have enough poles to install about half of the needed overhead wiring. That's as far as I am. ... My current project is another part of the layout. My layout extension is large, and is big enough to be a layout itself. I want to get it done before going back to working on the streetcar line. .... The Bachmann streetcars require maintenance which takes time. The mechanisms in those streetcars are not well designed in my opinion.

As for cleaning rails, I already have the CMX track cleaning car, the Centerline track cleaning car, and the Walthers box car with abrasive pad. ... Those products do well in hard to reach places. ... The Walthers boxcar with abrasive pad is operated often in my freight trains, and the mainline stays clean just with it.

Garry: I'm sure that helps, it's surprising how much junk the cleaning pads pick up from the train tracks. I sometimes wonder if there aren't a lot of little bugs getting squished on the rails that add all the extra dirt? It's hard to believe this that it just comes from the trains operating yet maybe it does?

umlauts from the ASCII table....
They may be generated by holding down the ALT key and entering a 3 digit code on the numeric keypad.
(this is on PC keyboards, not Macs or other dives)

Alt+129 = ü
Alt+132 = ä
Alt+137 = ë
Alt+142 = Ä
Alt+148 = ö
Alt+152 = ÿ
Alt+153 = Ö
Alt+154 = Ü

Say, Eric: Thanks too for the Alt codes for the German punctuation.

Good morning. 60° and clear.

Karl: Those little people really take to water and other fun" things. Hard to keep up with them :eek:.
Louis: Know what ya mean. I occasionally listen to the "all knowing" on 66 the Fan. These people spend their entire day living sports fantasys, but know nothing. I found the Orioles site following a link from the N Devils site I follow. There are links to every sports team imaginable. Fan comments are either annoying or amusing.
Garry: Looks good. I suspect NWSL has a solution for every problem.
Curt: Congratulations, on the successful completion of your first DCC project.Which decoder did you use as a replacement?
Terry: Excluding the logistics, I know nothing about the condition of the MILs car, other than it has oil in it. She used to take it to the dealer for maintenance, then her neighbor persuaded her he could do it for her instead, (for the same price). I do not have a favorable impression of his other work...so the option was a donation (most likely go to auction) or scrap it. We chose charity.

I'm still working on the freight house, and did extend the main track further, for now. Advantage of Micro Engineering flex is once curved, it holds the curve instead of straightening out, so I can experiment without nailing everything down. Really have to find time to assemble the remaining bench work, and actually start building.

Say, Joe: That interesting to know about Miro Engineerings' flex track.

Good morning ...

Has Sherrell been here lately? I don't recall any posts from him recently.

Eric .. I hope the appointment goes well for you.

Willie ... Congrats on the anniversary of retirement.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody.

Garry: I tried to call Sherrel a little earlier but I have two Trojans in my cell phone that are really screwing it up at times and I think preventing me from getting much of a signal in my area!? I also just recently this morning sent him an email but I haven't received any reply back yet.

Good morning all. Strting the day off at46 degrees with light rain. Must have rained most of the night. Even had to put on a light jacket when coming to work.

Eric - Hope things work out for you at the dentist. Good Luck.

Joe - Looking forward to seeing yout project. I only have a little experoence with ME flex track. It does hold its postition when curves, but I found that to get a consistant radius, the it took a lot of work. I ended up using what I had in a yard in straight sections.

Karl - Looks like the little one was having a blast. It's good that there is no fear of the water.

It did cler up for a few hours yesterday and my son and I went to the range and put a few rounds through my new toy.

View attachment 57776 Nice rifle, but I am sure that the government has me targeted. I have a few other rifles that can be considered assault rifles, and have had them for years. I am a gun collectoand have been since before I was a cop. Can't believe how expensive it can be to get some target practice in. I like shooting my old service revolver, a model 66 .357 mag. Found some old boxes that I keep my old brass in and one price tag from Woolworths was $4.95 for 50 rounds.

Didn't realize what shirt I was wearing when my son took this shot.

View attachment 57777

Now I have to try to catch up on all the posts I may have missed over the weekend only having TapTalk available.

I did get to run trains for a while after we were rained out at the firing range. It was nice to get to spend some time in the train room.

Have a good one.

Say, Chet: Congrats on the purchase of the AR, yes, holding the rifle with a little firmer grip while wearing that shirt and aswering the door should do well to deter any unwanted individuals from your place!! For those that don't know AR actually stand for Arma-a-Lite who created the AR. Originally they made a .22 colapseable rifle that all fit with the hollow butt stock for ease of carrying. You mentioned purchasing ammo at Woolworths[?] god that must have been a long time ago?

The beauty of the AR format Rifle is that by simply pulling the two main pins to the side on the lower you can put a complete different upper of another caliber on it and your ready to go except you may have to buy other mags for the new caliber.

It's a very comfortable rifle to shoot compared to a regular hunting rifle, you just have to learn to ensure that you keep the body perpendicular to maintain accuracy. The Picatinny flat top Rail assures you can remove a scope and that it will go rignt back in the same position as it was!

They are a great rifle and very accurate once you get the barrel broke in.

Good morning, 64 and cloudy, light rain.

Chet--I doubt if ISIS would show their faces in Montana. You kind of have a "reputation".

my trailers finally showed up in the mail last week:

View attachment 57778

have a great day all!

Say, David: Very interesting scene, I sure hope the engineer notices the tractor is straddling the tracks as well a the trailer or your going to have one heck of a mess to clean up. It looks very good.

EREIC: Use the Hydrogen Peroxide swishing it around in your mouth especially where your bad teeth are till it really foams up and keep doing it for a while before you spit it out ! About a teaspoon full is all you really need each time. It may even feel like it's intensifying for a bit but it's killing infection not only in your teeth but your gums too!! I've been there and it helped me tremendously and just recently TOO!! A quart bottle at the Dollar store, in my local is just that, a $1.00! Other places sell it by the pint for a bit less than a dollar. Hey even if you bought ten bottles of the stuff it's still only $10.00 or $15.00 and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just don't stop using it and you'll feel the pain slowly subside and finally it's gone.

You'll probably have to swish the stuff around in your mouth six or 8 times over a short period of time. You'll know when the pain is starting to return, But Keep using the Damn Stuff don't be so Fng stubborn! When you feel it starting to act up again swish a bit more around in your mouth and spit it out. The other day I had to do that about 4 to 6 times to get the pain that was going up into my back jaw bone to subside which it did slowly. I should do it more myself, but also tend to slack off. Use the H/P before you go to bed too! I'd say to stay away from the whiskey for awhile too as it probably has a fair amount of sugar in it and deffinitely no Brandy or the like as that even a lot worse.

David - Got a few rounds off on Sunday and I was suprised at how accurate it was with the hard sights right out of the box. I do have a few spare scopes hanging around and may fit one to it when I have time.

Ammo from Woolworths? Yes, and it was a long time ago probably in the mid 70's. When I was a cop I liked to get a lot of target practice in and found that Woolworths were usually the cheapest. They were from Remington. Also like to stay proficient with a hunting rifle and even though I lived in Florida at the time, I always came home to Montana for hunting season.

Afternoon All,

Did a couple of small chores around the house this morning then up to the layout. I had good luck and bad luck. The good luck was I put the new couplers and diaphragms on the passenger cars. They made several laps in both directions without issue. The bad luck was I wanted to reprogram the address in a Genesis FP7A but no matter what I did neither the throttle or the base station would recognize there was a decoder (Tsunami) but the loco ran on it's current 4 digit address without issue. I program on the main since I don't have a programming track. I'll take it up with me on Thursday to Jon's.

Sherrel- Nice cooling scene for the heat.

LASM- Great looking scene and trailers.

Garry- Nice looking gas car.

Joe- I went with the DZ-123 only because I believe it was Terry that said that was the decoder that he used in his.

Eric- Very sorry to hear about the issues today. Is it a option to go to your county health department for care, or find an Oral Surgeon that will take payments or finance?

Willy- Congrats on the 1 year anniversary. I reach 2 years at the end of August.

Chet- Nice looking rifle.

Terry- Thanks for the info. In the manual for the DT402D it says that the 400 series throttle will automatically change CV29 when you change the address.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon All. Temperature is up to 93°. Coffee Shop is busy today. Just about to head to the pool after making salsa today, canned 4 pints. Standing around the stove and canning is hot work.
Eric - Wow, bummer is all I can say. You might try to see if there is a dental college nearby and let them practice on you. I know that around here, Baylor University has several locations where they do that. There's always a "real" oral surgeon in the room with them.
Chet - Very nice looking piece of equipment.

Have a good afternoon, while I get a beer and hit the pool.

Willie

Curt, when the dt400 programs the address, it asks if you want to do the 4 digit address. What it doesn't tell you is it is allowing it to recognize and run analog. Analog enabled is a value of 38 for normal direction.
To disable analog, and prevent runaways in case of a momentary power glitch, you would want a value of 34 for normal direction, and 35 for reversed.

ERIC ... Wanted you to see this. Have you explored the possibility of going to a Dental School for your work?
My teeth have always been in need of work until I finally told the dentist to get rid of them all.
I started going to a Dental School in K.C. when I was 21. They did all sorts of work on me and most all of it was free except for a small charge for a gold inlay. I had lots of fillings, a root canal, and a crown for no cost. I did not have to have surgery, so I cannot comment on that. If you can find a Dental School, it will save you a ton of money. They are slow on the work though, because each time they do a procedure, they have to have an instructuror inspect their work. I used to just fall asleep in the chair waiting for them all the time.

Don't get me started on Dentists' and Vets' Both of them have become unreasonable in their charges. I just spent close to 1k to have two sets of dentures glued back together and a re-alignment done so that maybe they won't be subject to breaking quite as easily.
My wife just broke a side off of a tooth. No root damage, but will need a crown - 1.6k.
One SIL has just had 5.5k dental work done ... and another is working on 4 implants at 12k.

I have been delaying taking my 2 dogs to the Vet because I know that it will be 500 out the door.It's all getting out of control.

I am sorry, ERIC that you seem to be in a 'heap of hurt' at the moment.

Sherrel - Enjoy the beer.Time to get out of here and head home. I can hear the beer calling.

Garry - Forgot to comment on the photo of the doodle bug. Nice shot.

While running trains yeaterday I did take a couple of photos. Here a guy taking a break at the REA warehouse.

IMAG0788.jpg

Catch yo later.

Nice ideas Willie and Sherrel.
I just did some looking into that option. All they want is patients for cleanings and basic BS stuff.

I took a lengthy nap hoping to cool off. I think I'm madder now than before.
The upside is a major thunderstorm is cranking up outside.
That should fit the mood just fine!!
Think I'll crawl into a whiskey bottle or cranberry flavored vodka, whichever goes down easier, and enjoy the storm.

Chet, do me a favor and load up a BIG mag and lay some rapid fire waste to a pile of cans.
Send video. It might make me feel better.

Sour to be such a sour puss.
I'm generally pretty good at keeping my emotions in check - especially anger.
Today is not that day for sure.

E.

Nice ideas Willie and Sherrel.
I just did some looking into that option. All they want is patients for cleanings and basic BS stuff.

I took a lengthy nap hoping to cool off. I think I'm madder now than before.
The upside is a major thunderstorm is cranking up outside.
That should fit the mood just fine!!
Think I'll crawl into a whiskey bottle or cranberry flavored vodka, whichever goes down easier, and enjoy the storm.

Chet, do me a favor and load up a BIG mag and lay some rapid fire waste to a pile of cans.
Send video. It might make me feel better.

Sour to be such a sour puss.
I'm generally pretty good at keeping my emotions in check - especially anger.
Today is not that day for sure.

E.

Don't blame you one little bit, ERIC.
I think back 25 years ago of a close friend (now deceased) who was a Doctor, D.O. in Albuquerque.
He opened his practice in Albuquerque in the poorest section of town .. and together with his neighbor, a phararmist, opened a drugstore nextdoor to his practice. He used to tell me, "the poor people need help too". He always made a good living and his wife and kids always had the best of everything that they needed but was not extravagant. The whole point to my story is that I used to see patients pay him for services with eggs, cheeze, and even a home cooked dinner for the family. One time I was in his office and an older lady emptied her purse on his desk and told him to take whatever he needed. He took 25 cents of her total amount of $1.79 - she insisted that she had to pay him something.
Harry was the greatest human being that I have ever known, and I used to spend a lot of time just visiting with him at his office.

It sure an't that way anymore!

ERIC - I third or fourth the dental school idea. I recently finished my course of treatment and all is well. It takes more time but less money than a commercial dental practice.

90 degrees and HOT.

Back