Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Good afternoon. We warmed up all the way to 72 degrees. Think we better enjoy the comfortable temps because I'm sure it will be getting hot soon.

Curt - Great photo of your layout as usual. Thumb up.gif

Guess I'll post on of a Northern Pacific switcher pulling some empty cars from the freight station.

IMAG0793.jpg

Have a good evening. No internet at home but I can watch on TapTalk.

Nice photo, Chet! Like how the grime rises up on the trucks and frame.
I caught myself looking for bears on the trees? LOL

Good afternoon fellow, 'Rail Setters & Spike Drivers',
Hi Flo & Francine, How about some coffee and a Apple Fritter?

Weather wise: Clear, at 94.8 °F - Feels Like 91 °F;
Winds are from the West at 11.9 mph;

Pressure 29.86 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 91 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 20%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth It all melted! ?? LoL

= = = =

RR wise I haven't done too much, a couple of nights ago I did get the wires stripped and twisted and then work spreading opening the portion of the new stake on terminal connectors. I have a bit more spreading to do so I can lay the wire into a u troth as well as place the pre-tinned end section in a hole to be soldered to the conector. Then hopefully I'll be back in the business of once again moving freight and passengers.

> > >

Good morning.Starting off at a chilly 43 degrees this morning with a high expected around 70. I can live with that. Aster hearing all of the high temps some of you are having, better enjoy it before things heat up. The snow on the Spanish Peaks which I look at had all melted off until Sunday. They got a dusting of snow. Pardon the crappy photo. Apparently the phone doesn't like going to infinity.

View attachment 57790

Heard on the news that a number of tourists had their plans changed because snow closed the Beartooth Highway which is US 212 between Cook City, MT which is at the northwest corner of Yellowstone Park and twists up through the Beartooth Mountains and runs north to Red Lodge, MT and on to Billings. It's a breath taking ride. Here's an old photo, I am guessing was taken about 18 years ago.

View attachment 57791 This photo was taken in late July. There was still skiing going on up there.

Willie - A lot of detailing work still has to be done in that town. It will not be that clean when I get done with it.

Trussrod - It is a S&W. The stock iron sights are dead on from what I could determine at the range last Sunday. Don't know why I got it, but I thought it was cool. A little light for hunting up here but it's fun.

Joe - Hopefully you can get things wraped up with your MIL's estate and move on soon. Consumes way too mich time.

Karl - Like the picture in you post. It's a good question.

Gotta get out of here and do something I guess. Catch you later.

Chet: That the beauty of the AR's you can, pull/possibly tap out the two pins, holding the upper receiver to the lower and buy the complete upper receiver of your choice from .450 Bush Master, a 7.62x39 AK round or the 6.5 Grendel cartridge which I prefer over the AK round as it will reach out farther with the knock power of the AK due to it higher velocity. If you want some big game hunting capability the .450 BM is the trick. Developed by Hornady & BM it uses a .45 calliber 250 grain slug that is pushed out the barrel at 2000' per-sec. Hornady claims it will take any North American game animal. If your going after Elk I'd say the 6.5 Grendal cartridge is a good choice as it shoots a .264 caliber bullet in a variety of bullet wt. choices.

Good morning, 66 and sun peaking through, we got 2.42" of rain yesterday afternoon and evening, and today we are looking at 84 with 98% humidity.

It goes from arctic to tropical in this neck of the woods!

Curt: Thanks for the compliment!

Karl: Clever play on words!

Everyone: It is great to have all the participation. Summer creates a lot of distractions for the basement dwellers.

David Your weather reminds me of when I was in Mass and they 84* temps with 100% Humidity. Not rain but it was like walking through a mist. My Aunts' estate was inland slightly but only about 1/2 mile from the closest little inlet to the bay area that came into Marrion, Mass., so the ocean wasn't too far off.

Afternoon All,

Another extremely hot day. Ran trains for about 2 hours today including switching. I think I need to add a spur (short) for the shifter at the oil/coal facility. That will free up a track for bringing in cars.

I have been doing some thinking on programing. I have tried about 5 times in the past to get JMRI/Java/ComPort to work properly without success. Even when I printed the step by step directions on what to do, and following them I kept getting error messages. Part of the problem is I know nothing about computers so when an issue pops up I have no clue of what to do.

Anyway I think my answer is to get a DCC Specialties Power Pax DCC Programing Booster. I know my club uses one along with JMRI. They guarantee that you can program QSI and BLI with it, along with the other decoders. The majority of my stuff uses SoundTraxx. It appears pretty painless. Anyone here have practical experience with this? I would program from the base station (I don't know if a throttle would work).

Chet- Nice MRR photo. I have the same freight house. Beautiful scenery to live in.

Joe- I hope everything works out for you sooner rather than later.

Louis- Have fun.

Ken- Good luck on your procedure. I'm rapidly approaching a 10 yr point.

Eric- Any luck with your tooth?

20160712_135907_zps1zeeknyt.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Wish I knew something about DCC to help you out but sounds like Ken has done that already. Also, I think it was Karl that posted a page or two back various things no to do and not do.

Nice shot of the the train on the hillside and bridge.

Good afternoon. We warmed up all the way to 72 degrees. Think we better enjoy the comfortable temps because I'm sure it will be getting hot soon.

Curt - Great photo of your layout as usual. View attachment 57797

Guess I'll post on of a Northern Pacific switcher pulling some empty cars from the freight station.

View attachment 57798

Have a good evening. No internet at home but I can watch on TapTalk.

Chet: Nice shot, I like the way you skillfully separated areas and other tracks with the trees.

Hope everyone has a good nite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening, guys. We had a beautiful day, here, the weather was almost perfect.

Thanks for your supportive comments in our ongoing drama with the MIL. The electrician called me this evening, he will be there on Thursday, at Noon (+ of -), once they are done, I call the electrical inspector, and he signs off on the work. At that point we will have met all Code requirements for a CA. (They call them U&A in Pennsylvania). On the bright side, our buyer missed the second installment of his "Ernest" money, due today. He requested an extension to Friday, to make the payment. It is becoming very apparent that this guy lacks the money to make the deal work. He and his agent were hoping to get us to make further concessions but that isn't going to happen. I imagine the house will be back on the market shortly, possibly, with a new agent. Our agent was so desperate to earn his commission, that he put our interests behind his. He has succeeded in infuriating my wife (also a Realtor) and our Attorney. In short, we can't trust the guy, and he failed to bring us a qualified buyer. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, tomorrow, I have to go out and buy a new Washer and dryer, as our dryer gave up the ghost. I looked it up, we bought this set in 2004. :eek:

Ken: Good luck with the infamous 10 year "inspection". If it's any consolation, I go on 8/15. Sorry to learn of your Jury service summons. The way it works here, you have to show up, usually for a day or two, and if you get selected for a lengthy trial, the Judges normally will "excuse" you, if your service presents a hardship. Don't remember how they are down there, but I would imagine they are similar.

Louis: Back around this time of month, in 1961, (I was going on 12), I was fortunate enough to attend a double header, at Yankee Stadium, between the Chicago White Sox, and the Yankees. Saw Whitey For and Ralph Terry start, saw Yogi, Elston Howard and ohn Blanchard play, along with Marris and Mantle, Hector Lopez, Moose Skowron, Bobby Richardson, Tony Kubek, Clete Boyer et all. Yanks won both games, got home around 0300, saw a car Budd RDC train on the CNJ Perth Amboy Branch along side the Turnpike. Never forgot the thrill of seeing the best, be the best. I would be another year or two, untill I began following the Orioles, long distance, via WBAL 1090 and the Sporting news.

Curt: The LCL train and FP7 look great. Good luck with your programming track and booster. Tsunamis have a reputation for being difficult to program.

It occurred to me that I have not posted a photo for a while, so here goes.

12-PRR7133bridge050155gf.jpg

Think this was taken on a fan trip shortly before rail service between Columbia PA and York PA was discontinued, and the ROW taken up. By the time I hired, all that was left of the bridge were the bridge piers.

Anyway I think my answer is to get a DCC Specialties Power Pax DCC Programing Booster. I know my club uses one along with JMRI. They guarantee that you can program QSI and BLI with it, along with the other decoders. The majority of my stuff uses SoundTraxx. It appears pretty painless. Anyone here have practical experience with this? I would program from the base station (I don't know if a throttle would work).

[.

I had one, sold it and replaced it with a Soundtraxx PTB-100. I was having periodic problems reading CVs with the PowerPax. Several others I know were experiencing the same issues and had switch, so I did too. Been smooth sailing since.

..Louis - I expect to see your grandsons in the lineup of the O's or some other AL team in ~20 years! Hope you were able to get some quality time with the trains today...

Thank you Ken, but our goal is to play in high school. My grandsons are fundamentally sound players, but they lack the passion needed to be top shelf players. The most important attribute needed to be a great player is a love of the game. My grandsons enjoy playing, but they would rather be playing video games and that is ok with me. I have coached top shelf players and even then I tell their parents their goal should be high school baseball, one step at a time.

I need to schedule the same procedure. I am not looking forward to it, but I love my family too much not to do it. Thanks for reminding me, I m already 3 years late.

My son just got his notice for jury duty. I have a permanent exemption because of all my health problems. Some thing good comes from everything!

I had a blast with my trains! I found the best solution for protecting my knees as I crawl around the layout; 3 little throw pillows! My wife was less than happy at first, but she found new ones she liked even better.

...Louis- Have fun.
20160712_135907_zps1zeeknyt.jpg

Thank you Curt, I had great fun! My layout is nothing like your fantastic layout. Mine is mostly just tracks and trains, but I do enjoy it!

...Louis: Back around this time of month, in 1961, (I was going on 12), I was fortunate enough to attend a double header, at Yankee Stadium, between the Chicago White Sox, and the Yankees. Saw Whitey For and Ralph Terry start, saw Yogi, Elston Howard and ohn Blanchard play, along with Marris and Mantle, Hector Lopez, Moose Skowron, Bobby Richardson, Tony Kubek, Clete Boyer et all. Yanks won both games, got home around 0300, saw a car Budd RDC train on the CNJ Perth Amboy Branch along side the Turnpike. Never forgot the thrill of seeing the best, be the best. I would be another year or two, untill I began following the Orioles, long distance, via WBAL 1090 and the Sporting news.

It occurred to me that I have not posted a photo for a while, so here goes.

View attachment 57800

Think this was taken on a fan trip shortly before rail service between Columbia PA and York PA was discontinued, and the ROW taken up. By the time I hired, all that was left of the bridge were the bridge piers.

I have a correction to make, it was not Ripken's last All Star Game when I was in the Hospital, it was his MVP season 1991. Forgive me, that time is still a bit cloudy in my mind. My health was wearing thin again in 2001, Ripken's last season.

I'm glad to hear you are on the home stretch as executor. Unfortunately it's no surprise to find a supposed to be "professional" who is self-serving. That seems to be the trend today. What ever happened to; work hard, do your best and the rewards will come?

Thank you Boris for sharing that baseball memory from the glory days, I enjoyed it so much! How could it be better? One of the greatest teams ever, a train for transportation and a double header sweep!

I don't know first hand about the 1963 Orioles (the baby birds) I was born in 1963, but I heard and read many stories about them and the 63 pennant race. June 1st 1963 the birds and Yanks were tied for 1st. The Yanks pulled away with it after that, but for the first time the birds were in the conversation. Could that have been the year you began to follow the Orioles?

WBAL was a great radio station, but no more. I listened to nearly every game for as long as I can remember. The first announcers I remember were Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell. I still listen to many games on 105.7 the Fan, but my wife does not like the radio in the bedroom because after the games are over, I am sound asleep and she does not like the national sport shows that follow. Here is a link to the Orioles radio network, maybe you can pick up one of these. http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/schedule/affiliates.jsp

The Sporting News had great baseball coverage. Do you remember Baseball Digest? That was my favorite!

Great photo, thank you!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 78 with 82% humidity under cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

I'm late this morning because I stayed up to watch the All Star game. I almost made it to the end. Thank God for the DVR!

Time for breakfast, I'll come back if I can.

Have a great day Everybody!

Hey Louis, 'bout those cushions. Say to your wife that you turned them into precyclables, not recyclables.

In keeping with the precedent set by Terry one of our esteemed members of the forum I have a food tip:

Chicken Salad does not freeze well. The taste is maintained but it's aesthetic appeal is lost, but it beats throwing it away.

I'll be the one to have to finish off this ugly chicken salad, one sandwich at a time. I estimate I have four or five more sandwiches to go. Guess what I will be having for breakfast and lunch the next couple of days? It's a good thing I make great chicken salad. My secret is to smoke the chicken breast on the Weber Kettle charcoal grill.

Hey Louis, 'bout those cushions. Say to your wife that you turned them into precyclables, not recyclables.

Thank you King Toot, but I am in the clear now that she has found new ones so I'll let that sleeping tiger lay.

You did however introduce me to a new word; Precycle I have never heard that one before and I had to look it up.

I got a bonus yesterday when I was playing with my trains! My grandson came home from the beach and after his bath he noticed the trains had moved. He wanted to run them himself!

I would be extremely happy if my grandsons would pick up this hobby!

Originally I had no desire for anything other than tracks and trains on my layout. This forum and the members who share their beautiful layouts have inspired me to want more. I have purchased many accessories and kits for my HO, O layouts and my proposed N layout. As it is they are all temporary or as with the N layout, will be temporary. My wife and I plan to move in the next year or two and when we do my priority, with my wife's blessing is to have much more square footage in the new basement. My hope is my grandsons will take over the scenery and build the kits. It looks like I already have one of them hooked! He chose to play with the trains rather then to play with video games before watching the All Star game with me. Needless to say I was a very happy man :) The best things in life are free. Of course the trains are not free, but I would buy them anyway. The free bonus is to pass on a love for the world's greatest hobby!

Good Morning All. It's 77° and clear right now. two hours ago it was 79°. Weather guys are saying 98° for the high today, but that's what they said about yesterday and it only reached 94°. Speaking of baseball stories, I am only a minor fan, but I did get to go to a lot of Texas Rangers games in the late 80' - mid 90's, back when vendors I dealt with gave out lots of tickets. I saw Nolan Ryan pitch numerous times. I didn't see any of his no-hitters, but I was at the game where some hitter, I believe his name was Ventura, came out to fight Nolan after getting hit with a pitch. Ryan showed him the way with a headlock and a number of swift punches to the head. Both the hitter and his manager were ejected, while Nolan was allowed to continue.
Did the grocery/beer trek yesterday and took up a good part of the morning. Wife leaves tomorrow for a 9 day trip to the Gulf Coast, so I stocked up for the time alone.
In the train shed, I finally painted a bunch of track that has been in place for 6+ months, in preparation for ballasting. I tested it for longer than I normally do just because!!! Cleared out the space for the shelves that I mentioned yesterday.
Ken - I might gladly serve on a jury, but I have only received one summons in 35 years of living here, it was cancelled the night before. In Texas they use not only voter registration, but drivers licenses and tax rolls to determine eligibility. Don't know about other states.
Sherrel - Interesting Frisco website. I didn't know that it existed. I have met Friscomike, from Granbury a number of times over the years down at the Texas Western club in Ft Worth.
Curt - Can't help as I am a DC guy. Nice photo as well.
Chet - OK, I see weathering now!!! Great picture.
Joe - Hopefully things will get back "on-track" regarding the house. You also posted another great picture.
Louis - I echo your quest for Eric, I don't think he posted anything yesterday. Hope he is OK.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning, 69 and sunny. Yesterday actually turned out a lot nicer than predicted, the air dried up and sun was out most of the afternoon.

We had a good bit of road damage and spent a lot of the day checking out the water and bridge situation in the County.

more later

Good morning ... Here it is 80 F degrees with 80% humidity ( feels like 200%) . ..... High will be in the 90's.

Curt ... I like your Pennsy train on your bridge.
Joe ... I like the photo of the old PRR fan trip. That old bridge must have been interesting to see in person.
Chet ... Nice scene with you NP switcher.

I finally completed my track project. It took 2 1/2 months to do a project that should have been only one week. ... Too many interruptions of others stuff.

I am going to chuckle may way upstairs and wash the dishes.:) My youngest daughter always leaves them for dad, that is why I call her my Pretty little Princess. Soon enough she will be settling on her new house, I hope she has an automatic dishwasher!

Good morning. 50 degrees to start the day with a predicted high in the low 70's.

Thanks for the comments on the NP switcher.

Joe - Where was the photo taken behind the steamer ??? Nice shot.

I can't knock DCC, but wit all the posts I see with people having problems with decoders and programming them, I'm glad I still operate in the stone ages still using only DC. Put it on the track, turn on the power and away it goes. (unless it's broken).

Two for the three baby robins in the tree by my front door have left. One to go. Shouldn't be too long.

Have a good one.

Back