Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Good evening everybody!

E I'm sorry to hear about your on going ordeal. Don't give up on the dental schools, some do oral surgery. I know the University of MD school of dentistry does. I would assume there would be at least one in GA. Don't worry about venting your frustration, God knows I have vented more than once to my train buddies. I wish you well my friend.

Boris I don't mind the silly fan comments, as you said some are amusing. It's the hyper-negative fans are too much for me to listen too. I bet most of them never even played ball in high school. They have no idea what it takes to play sports at the highest level.

I am suffering from a lack of Baseball. I love the All Star game, but I don't like the All Star break.

Have a good night everybody!

David - Got a few rounds off on Sunday and I was suprised at how accurate it was with the hard sights right out of the box. I do have a few spare scopes hanging around and may fit one to it when I have time.

Ammo from Woolworths? Yes, and it was a long time ago probably in the mid 70's. When I was a cop I liked to get a lot of target practice in and found that Woolworths were usually the cheapest. They were from Remington. Also like to stay proficient with a hunting rifle and even though I lived in Florida at the time, I always came home to Montana for hunting season.

Chet: I remembered you said it was an M&P which I believe is an S&W? I guess they have it down fairly pat now on assembly with a good grade of barrel. Iron sights are very important to get adjusted to whatever brand of ammo you intend to shoot or whatever your loading. It's a definite back-up if you mount a scope on it and in some cases is preferable to using a scope as you probably know.

I figured Woolworth's was a long time ago.

By the way, with you wearing that shirt and holding that weapon, I do feel intimidated !!

Hiya gang!

Louis. But ain't it nice sitting on top of the AL East?

Chet Nice pea shooter!

Eric Sorry to hear about the choppers. I know the pain doesn't help the mood, I hope you can find some relief.

Spent part of this evening spreading crack filler where needed on the asphalt driveway, need another jug to finish. To this country boy these blacktop driveways are too much work. Fill the cracks, seal the pavement. Growing up we just had crush & run driveways at the house and on the farm. The only work we did was spreading more stone now and then (on a tractor), and spraying them down with used motor oil in the summer to keep the dust and weeds down.

Speaking of computers........
windows meme.jpg

Cyaa!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 75 with 65% humidity under partly cloudy skies.

All Star game tonight!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning Everyone. 77° and clear skies this morning. Supposed to go up to 96° today...it really hasn't been hot yet this year. Speaking of hot, how about that Stock Market! It sure helps my IRA's. Getting down to business in the train shed, I am preparing to put in some additional shelving under the layout. It won't look nearly as good as Karl's, but it will eventually be hidden by skirting. Haven't started the next upper level extension yet as there is too much accumulated "stuff" around. However once I set up the sawhorses (in the shade outside of course) for the shelves, I will be cutting the needed parts for the extension as well.
Garry - Thanks for the congrats. I have been enjoying your trolley and doodlebug pictures. At some point I will have completed scenes that I will show. For now there is too much plywood.
Dave - That scene is really coming together.
Curt - Congratulations back to you on two years.
Chet - The REA scene is just too clean. Are you planning to do any weathering?
Karl - "Crush and run", that's the first time I have heard of them described that way. I'm looking forward (yeah) to re-applying another layer to my driveway. Seems to last about 10 years, and then I have to get two more truckloads...18-wheelers for a total of 40 tons. At least at my place, the drivers can "tailgate" it, that is spread it out by partially opening the tailgate and driving forward. Minimizes the tractor work.
Louis - How's the kids baseball coaching going? You hadn't mentioned it lately. I think that you are performing a great service to all.

Oooops! I am late for my walk this morning, but it looks like the sun is behind clouds on the horizon so it won't be so bad.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 62° and Sunny. Louis, I'm not all that interested in the All Star Game, sort of not as interesting with inter league play, and for what its worth, there are no Musials, Mantles, Mays or Arrons or Koufaxs or any other boyhood idols around today. There aren't even any Ripkens playing any longer, and I get to see any game I want, from my computer screen. But I already miss the regular season action.

Ended up spending the bulk of the day, yesterday, waiting for something to happen. Got there at 0950. The people from the Mission showed up first, and we transferred the title of the car. Then they pushed it to the driveway, to facilitate the tow truck. Around noon, the Township Electrical Inspector arrived. That went well, and he gave conditional approval. We have to install the GFIs, (as expected), in both baths, and the garage. While he was there, the Chimney inspectors were there. They had to install a new Storm Collar on the chimney, as the old one was cracked, and allowing rainwater into the building. The electrician, came by and gave us an estimate. By the end of the week everything will be finished. Actual cost of everything, will be under $500. The Furnace service guy, was the last to show up, at 1630. He putzed around for an hour or so, then left. Long time to spend in an empty house with no furnishings. it's a tribute to my late Father in law, that he maintained his home in a good state of repair, over the years. After he passed, the MIL continued much of what was set up, so the building, although dated, is still in good structural shape. Having done all of this, I'm more certain than ever, that this particular deal is going to fall apart, because the buyer is not really qualified. At least we will be ahead of the curve, when the property goes back up on the market.

This crap has preempted any real attempt at modeling anything, so I hope it settles down in short order.

Good morning all. Clear skies, 82*, going to hit 99* they say. Index well over 107. Will some body please close the oven door. T/S's all around area last two days but not a drip did drop.
Need to get the clothes into the dryer and more coffee into me.
ttfn,
Phil

Good morning, 66 and sun peaking through, we got 2.42" of rain yesterday afternoon and evening, and today we are looking at 84 with 98% humidity.

It goes from arctic to tropical in this neck of the woods!

Curt: Thanks for the compliment!

Karl: Clever play on words!

Everyone: It is great to have all the participation. Summer creates a lot of distractions for the basement dwellers.

Good morning.Starting off at a chilly 43 degrees this morning with a high expected around 70. I can live with that. Aster hearing all of the high temps some of you are having, better enjoy it before things heat up. The snow on the Spanish Peaks which I look at had all melted off until Sunday. They got a dusting of snow. Pardon the crappy photo. Apparently the phone doesn't like going to infinity.

IMAG0797.jpg

Heard on the news that a number of tourists had their plans changed because snow closed the Beartooth Highway which is US 212 between Cook City, MT which is at the northwest corner of Yellowstone Park and twists up through the Beartooth Mountains and runs north to Red Lodge, MT and on to Billings. It's a breath taking ride. Here's an old photo, I am guessing was taken about 18 years ago.

beartooth pics 020.jpg This photo was taken in late July. There was still skiing going on up there.

Willie - A lot of detailing work still has to be done in that town. It will not be that clean when I get done with it.

Trussrod - It is a S&W. The stock iron sights are dead on from what I could determine at the range last Sunday. Don't know why I got it, but I thought it was cool. A little light for hunting up here but it's fun.

Joe - Hopefully you can get things wraped up with your MIL's estate and move on soon. Consumes way too mich time.

Karl - Like the picture in you post. It's a good question.

Gotta get out of here and do something I guess. Catch you later.

Howdy ..

It has rained a lot in the past couple of weeks, and it is raining again this morning.

Sherrel ... Good to see you posting again.
Karl ... That is funny about Apple making a car without windows ... :D
Willie ... Actually, I still have just boards and track on part of my layout. I'm still working on scenery. I just do one section at a time. Keeps me in the train room and away from trouble.
Joe ... That's a lot of waiting around. ... As they say "Hurry up and wait."
Chet ... Nice scenery there. ... Second photo is cool. ...
Louis ... All Star game time got here fast this year. Half of 2016 vanished too quickly .

...Louis - How's the kids baseball coaching going? You hadn't mentioned it lately. I think that you are performing a great service to all.

Oooops! I am late for my walk this morning, but it looks like the sun is behind clouds on the horizon so it won't be so bad.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Hey Willie! My boys are becoming pitchers! I have not had as much luck with the catchers. Nobody likes to wear the cup! We have not skipped a beat, except for the 4th of July weekend. I would have had practice, but the looks on the Mom's faces when they cornered me to ask about skipping one weekend told me it would be better to have the weekend off. If my health was reliable and If it were only up to me I would practice everyday.

I don't see it as any great service. It's as much selfishness as anything else. I enjoy it as much if not more than the kids do. Thank you just the same for the kind words

To borrow from my good friend Rodney of Tasmania; Good on ya mate! Walking is the best medicine in my experience. Walking certainly has been a key factor in my recovery.

...Louis, I'm not all that interested in the All Star Game, sort of not as interesting with inter league play, and for what its worth, there are no Musials, Mantles, Mays or Arrons or Koufaxs or any other boyhood idols around today. There aren't even any Ripkens playing any longer, and I get to see any game I want, from my computer screen. But I already miss the regular season action...

I do enjoy inter-league play. It is fun to watch the birds play in the national league with different rules and different ball parks. I wish the AL would abandon the DH. Another rule change I would like to see is an expansion of the rosters. Earl Weaver's Orioles had usually only 8-10 pitchers, now teams carry 12-13 pitchers.

I understand how you feel. I was too young to remember Musial, Mantle and Koufax. Arron was one of my boyhood heroes. I never much liked Mays, but he was a great player. I miss the Robinsons, Brooks and Frank. Also Blair, Powel and Palmer. Fred Lynn always seemed to do well in the All Star game too.

The All Star game always has been special for me. Even though I endured an 8 game losing streak for the American League. The first AL win I remember was 1971. Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew and Reggie Jackson all homered to give the AL and manager Earl Weaver the win. As it happened it was the last All Star game I got to watch with the man who raised me, a neighbor who took me in; John Timmerman. He was the only father figure I ever knew, but he passed away May 5th 1972.

I suppose my love for the All Star game is much like my love for Lionel. It may have more to do with nostalgia and longing for what I lost or could not have as a boy then it does with anything else.

Do you remember Ripken's HR and MVP award in his last All Star game? Alex Rodriguez switched positions with him to begin the game. I was in the hospital couching up blood with viral pneumonia the priest had just given me the last rites and I rushed him out. I don't remember, but he later told me I said to him "either sit down, be quite and watch the game Father or leave and have a good night", but I do remember most of the game. Ripken's performance really lifted my spirits!

I have had the last rites three times. The last time they gave me a choice home or hospice care, I went home, that was over 10 years ago. I don't claim to understand how God works, I only have simple faith. What I can say is I always get just what I need, just when I needed it most.

...Louis ... All Star game time got here fast this year. Half of 2016 vanished too quickly .

Garry you are absolutely correct! The older I get the faster time goes by. Before we know it the Holidays will be upon us!

Ok gentlemen, since my boys are at the beach and I am feeling spunky I am going to climb up on my O gauge layout and crawl around cleaning the rails. Then I am going to play with my trains!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good afternoon. 86*F with a breeze here in central MD.

Louis - I expect to see your grandsons in the lineup of the O's or some other AL team in ~20 years! Hope you were able to get some quality time with the trains today.

Karl, you know how long my driveway is - I could never afford all the sealant I would need! I'll go the "gravel" route if it ever gets to that point...
Tonight is not gonna be a fun night for me. I need to prep for a medical procedure that us guys over 50 are suppose to get every 10 years (Phil and Sherrell know the one I'm talking about!). No solid food or dairy today, clear liquids only.

In other unpleasant news, I got a letter yesterday from the County that I've always dreaded: a summons to Jury Duty. Geez, they way they worded the thing it made me feel like I am the one on trial! Joe, I remember you saying how much jury duty disrupted your life. They don't even pay us down here, and I'm concerned about using-up all of my vacation days on this stupid thing.:mad: They had a question on there that asked "Would you be able to serve on a 10-day trial?" I answered NO, but I'm guessing everybody else does too, so it probably won't do any good.

Probably won't be posting anymore until Wednesday afternoon. Have a good 'un!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Ho=Hm Day around here. 84 degrees and bright clear sky with 38% humidity. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE IT!

Good Day All ... Still haven't caught up with all the posts, but am very saddened to see that PHIL (Flip) and Debbie lost a close family member. That Even Hurts Me - for I have had to face it so many times in the past, but I still love and care for all of them that my Spousal Unit will allow in the house at a given time .. presently 2 up from 1 and down from 3 a couple years ago. Like I said yesterday - the Vet bills are climbing all the time.

OK, back to trains and baseball ... I'm pulling for the Cubs this year. I really would like to see them in the World Series before I leave this world. Angels aren't doing squat this year, and I just have never been a Dogers fan even though they are a notch above San Francisco and San Diego (where's that?)
San Diego is such a beautiful city and climate; It's too bad that they 'suck' at sports teams. Maybe they could get a losing basketball team as well.

Now to the trains: I do not know if any of you follow the Frisco website or not? I think that I have posted a few works of some of the guys over there - today I would like to introduce you to another fine modeler, Ken McElreath, whom I believe lives in Iowa. Lots of photos on this one!

http://www.frisco.org/shipit/index.php?threads/camellia-park-alabama.6025/

Afternoon All,

Another extremely hot day. Ran trains for about 2 hours today including switching. I think I need to add a spur (short) for the shifter at the oil/coal facility. That will free up a track for bringing in cars.

I have been doing some thinking on programing. I have tried about 5 times in the past to get JMRI/Java/ComPort to work properly without success. Even when I printed the step by step directions on what to do, and following them I kept getting error messages. Part of the problem is I know nothing about computers so when an issue pops up I have no clue of what to do.

Anyway I think my answer is to get a DCC Specialties Power Pax DCC Programing Booster. I know my club uses one along with JMRI. They guarantee that you can program QSI and BLI with it, along with the other decoders. The majority of my stuff uses SoundTraxx. It appears pretty painless. Anyone here have practical experience with this? I would program from the base station (I don't know if a throttle would work).

Chet- Nice MRR photo. I have the same freight house. Beautiful scenery to live in.

Joe- I hope everything works out for you sooner rather than later.

Louis- Have fun.

Ken- Good luck on your procedure. I'm rapidly approaching a 10 yr point.

Eric- Any luck with your tooth?

20160712_135907_zps1zeeknyt.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

... Anyway I think my answer is to get a DCC Specialties Power Pax DCC Programing Booster. I know my club uses one along with JMRI. ... It appears pretty painless. Anyone here have practical experience with this? I would program from the base station (I don't know if a throttle would work).

Curt, I've been using one of those for a few years and it has never failed me! Makes every one of my sound-equipped locos "visible" on the programming track. Great looking bridge shot BTW - is that FP7 an Intermountain model?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my programing track. The 2 bare wires screw into the Power Pax. The Power Pax is powered (Wall Wart) and 2 wires run from the base station programing leads to the Power Pax.

20160712_142234_zpslckdmr7p.jpg

Back