Running Bear's Coffee Shop - LIII

What part of FL? If you end up heading back north on I-75 you'll pass within 1 mile of my house.
Better stop by!! Maybe spend the night. Beats staying at any of these local roach motels (i.e. drugs and whore stops).
E

That's the way I like to do it. Couple days camping and hit a Hotel, get some real rest and back down the road. You'll all be knowin when I'm gonna go. Might be a while, I got a layout to build!

"Limited" usually refers to a passenger train, with limited stops. I seem to remember there being a speed average that needed to be mantained, as well.

You don't want to ask what "ES&BM" stands for...

bnsf971;396996 You don't want to ask what "ES&BM" stands for...[/QUOTE said:
I think it is pretty safe to name your railroad in letters, like Terry did. Later on down the road you may not be embarassed by a clever play on words or some such thing.

I named mine the SLCR. An old friend, now passed, called me the Sawmaster. That is when I ran a sawmill. I named my mill the Sawmaster Lumber Company in his honor. I named my railroad the Sawmaster Lumber Company Railroad; which originally started to haul logs from the woods to the mill, and from the mill, boards to the city; and later expanded to a switching operation in the town that sprang up around the mill.

I think it is pretty safe to name your railroad in letters, like Terry did. Later on down the road you may not be embarassed by a clever play on words or some such thing.

I named mine the SLCR. An old friend, now passed, called me the Sawmaster. That is when I ran a sawmill. I named my mill the Sawmaster Lumber Company in his honor. I named my railroad the Sawmaster Lumber Company Railroad; which originally started to haul logs from the woods to the mill, and from the mill, boards to the city; and later expanded to a switching operation in the town that sprang up around the mill.

Yup, the freedom of making your own tiny world! LOL! I guess the heart and circumstance will name the locations.

Storm is coming. Best get to the beer store right quick.
Track work is finished finally.
Going to put down some more ground cover when I get back.
I have some fluffy "coarse underbrush" foliage that should make for some nice bush clumpages.
E.

Yup, the freedom of making your own tiny world! LOL! I guess the heart and circumstance will name the locations.

That is half the fun the railroad, MY WORLD!!!

I named one of the towns Pit after a town in Northern Minnesota. The town was named so because it was a gravel pit along the tracks.

layout11 002.jpg

I named one town Grizzly Flats after the train station. (you would think it would be the other way around)

layout5 009.jpg

I named the other town Grovemont because that is the name on the water tank I built, because my original depot was a Bachmann which had Grovemont on it. That depot got dumped, but the name stuck!

Grovemont.jpg

That is half the fun the railroad, MY WORLD!!!

I named one of the towns Pit after a town in Northern Minnesota. The town was named so because it was a gravel pit along the tracks.

View attachment 51696

I named one town Grizzly Flats after the train station. (you would think it would be the other way around)

View attachment 51697

I named the other town Grovemont because that is the name on the water tank I built, because my original depot was a Bachmann which had Grovemont on it. That depot got dumped, but the name stuck!

View attachment 51698

Exactly! Things happen..."Cut Finger Crossing" etc. LOL!

Rain hit here just now, hope it don't hold up the 'delivery dude'!

Minutes before the rain hit I had to BUST on some kids playing in the Church playground across the street! Two of the lil squabs pulled a sign out of the ground next to the road! I watched em struggle with it and all of a sudden UP it came! I'm like "wtf???" and..."HEY!!!" gave em a taste of the 'parade ground' voice! They FROZE! LOL! ..."PUT..IT..BACK!!!...they w a l k e d back and put it in the ground the way they almost found it and began to drift away..."THANK YOU!!!"... they began to walk faster! LOL! They were lookin around cause it ECHOED and they were not sure WHO was watching from WHICH houses across the street, I,m kinda screened by bushes on the porch so they never really looked my way! LMAO! DANG it! NOT in MY HOOD!!!

Afternoon All,

Did some house cleaning today. In a bit we are going back to daughter's class to help her some more. Tomorrow I have to go downtown for awhile, not sure when I will be done with that.

Karl-Good to hear about the brace. I am no coffee snob. I drink ALDI breakfast blend at home and fresh 7-11 coffee tastes just fine to me. Back in the Navy we drank very strong black coffee. In fact I would drink so much of it I would get the shakes. Now I tolerate the light grind best and occasionally I will drink a medium grind.

Logandsawman- Very nice layout photos.

BigE- Sounds like you got quite a haul today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I don't know Ward Kimball, but the Grizzly Flats station was a real place in the 1880's, and featured in a Walt Disney movie!

BigE- Sounds like you got quite a haul today.

Not me Curt. Nothing coming for me for a couple more days - least that I know of.

I got all the ballast work finished and put down some more ground cover.
Looks kind of strange with all that uncured glue all over it.
I want to plant some more tree but the ones I want haven't gotten here yet. That'll be another couple weeks. Maybe 10 days if I'm lucky like last time.
E.

Oops. I meant to attached some pics from today's work.
P8190031.JPGP8190030.JPGP8190029.JPG~

Attachments

• P8190028.JPG
    P8190028.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 162
Looking good E!

I think he means me, I'm still peekin for the UPS man! The E-mail SAID between "10:30AM-2:30PM" Here it is 3:30 and nothing. I did not put the time limit on em, THEY did! I'll be happy when they get here regardless of when!

Agreed--E-- your layout is really taking shape. When it is just about "complete" I predict you will be figuring out how to make it bigger?

Good Morning, 54 and rain. We are supposed to get 3 inches. To bad we can't ship some of this off to California!!

You could ship some of that rain to Southwestern BC, we could sure use it. Another warm dry day today, 79F under a cloudless sky. Supposed to get some clouds tomorrow and maybe some rain on Friday,sure hope so.

Received my order from Fast Tracks this morning, it was shipped from Ontario Friday... that's pretty good service I would say. Got some more Bullfrogs and spikes. That will keep me busy for a while, gotta make four 85 degree crossings from scratch, this should be interesting to say the least.

Cheers

Mel

Thank you Gents. I appreciate the comps greatly. It really does mean a lot.
Any critiques or advice are still most welcome.
I can visualize stuff all day in my head just fine and dandy but I lack the ability to know (maybe appreciate is a better word) what "looks good" or "looks right" or not. Same goes for colors.

Kind of funny how the last couple of days activities really got started. I posted in Shop LII about wishing WS would put out a sampler card of all their foliages and ground so I could have a look before I take the chance. Like Chet, my access to put eyeballs on stuff (i.e. a local hobby shop) is nil. Someone suggested one or some of their learning kits. Someone else mentioned about a small book they put out. I had not only forgotten about both, I already a landscape kit (RG5162) from them (via MBK of course). I took another look at some of the materials. A big bag of that "dark green underbrush" caught my attention. Only then did I look at their suggestions for use as a bush material. A bag (about the size of a sandwich bag) was in the kit. When I opened the bag, it fluffed up. So I dumped it all into an empty shaker bottle I had and fluffed it up more. Hell yeah! Game on. I'm gonna make me shrubbery!!
Of course I did a little test piece off in the corner where the mountain is going. I liked it right away.

I wasn't done yet. Decided to turn a dead spot in the yard to at least a little something other than just a big open gravel spot.
Here you go.
(3rd try.....)
P8190033.JPG~

Attachments

• P8190032.JPG
    P8190032.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 177
Got some more Bullfrogs and spikes. That will keep me busy for a while, gotta make four 85 degree crossings from scratch, this should be interesting to say the least.

Guaranteed, by the time you get to number 4 you will be a pro! I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your process...

Agreed--E-- your layout is really taking shape. When it is just about "complete" I predict you will be figuring out how to make it bigger?

I was already there months ago Brother LASM. I was debating to build the thing up in the spare bedroom (where it is) or empty the living room and build it right here. At this point it's not likely to happen so long I live here.
Alas....
E

Back