Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

We're up to 75 degrees. Beautiful day.

I think I'll post some more before and after pictures. It doesn't look like I'm going to make much progress on the layout for the the next few month so I guess I can look back and see what progress was made.

BEFORE AFTER

attachment.php
attachment.php

Well I got bored again today and tried to go do some tinkering around.
I did clean the track finally after about 2 weeks of off and on dirt work though so that should be good. I did take the trains out for a few laps just to be sure. No problem that I could tell.
The solder showed up for I figured I would give it a try. Wow! What a difference that thin stuff makes!!

I was going to figure out my little micro-relays but.... are you kidding me? Their pins don't fit the bread board at all or any of my empty circuit boards. That's ok. I just whipped out my new soldering station and put some leads on the pins. Still doesn't seems right however that the pins don't line up.

The new iron and solder works wonderfully!!
Of course after I got the relay figured out and built a little test circuit, I completely forgot what I was trying to do to begin.
I'm sure I'll wake up around 0200 hours dreaming about it.

Afternoon All,

Another hot and muggy day. We have had a large string of days in the 90's already. One day last week we made it to 98 F. I am so glad that I am not out in it all day anymore. I finished the last 2 bridge sections today. The picture shows the sections end to end but I still need to sand the ends for a better fit and then glue it all together. That may or may not happen tomorrow with me being out of the house for several hours.

I looked at the bridge track I have and it isn't long enough (expletive deleted), so I ordered another one. It is always something isn't it?

Garry- I knew you had trollies on your layout but I never made the connection with them actually working! Sometimes I wonder about my mind. LOL.

20150429_134238_zpsaehpgeap.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

CHET I really like your before and after shots

BigE Never a dull moment around your layout. I like reading your stuff

Curt-you have a really nice work in the making

See y'all tomorrow, God willing

Glue suggestions....
Remember my dilemma with CA glue not working with wire to the gas nozels on my fueling facility?
I solved it using the yellow goopy Gorilla stuff which I was reminded is water activated.
Someone else mentioned they use a Gorilla CA type that dries clear and uses it for everything.
I'll be needing something to stick some tiny lamp posts to some styrene - SOON.
I probably could just use my hot glue gun I would imagine the metal posts would come loose.

So, what exactly was that Gorilla stuff?
E.

Eric, you can try Walthers Goo.

The Gorilla Glue (the yellow stuff) originally was a type of expanding foam. They discovered it would stick to everything, and if clamped together it would REALLY stick to everything.

Eric, you can try Walthers Goo.

The Gorilla Glue (the yellow stuff) originally was a type of expanding foam. They discovered it would stick to everything, and if clamped together it would REALLY stick to everything.

They may claim that but I can say that it does NOT work trying to glue the bottoms on my running/tennis shoes. I wetted all surfaces but instead of clamping, I put heavy weight to mash them together. They came apart in a couple of days.
But, yes, it does foam/bubble up like you said - even without water activation.
E.

G'day all....White , no sugar please...No frost this morning in St Marys Tasmania...supposed to get to 16 celcius...low 60s F...By the way if you want a fairly quick way to convert C to F temperature...You take the Celcius , double it and add 30 and you'll be within a degree or two..so today 16 x2 = 32 + 30 = 62 F....There's a useless bit of info for the counter of the Coffee Shop...Cheers Rod

Getting chilly here tonight so I figured I'll brake out a can of chilli - which I will load up with cheese, onions and some hot dogs which I'll grill on my indoor electric grill. Likely I'll be up around 0300 hours looking for something to do. Maybe just drink a beer and rack out again. Nothing new there.
Nighty night all.
E.

Had a disaster here, and am really upset about it. I had turned the temperature on our freezer to its highest temp, 1, to get it ready to defrost. My grandson went behind me, (he admitted it), and then turned the thermostat to its lowest temperature 10, but then didn't close the door all the way. Result, I had to go to it today, because my said she couldn't open the door. When I finally got it open, I am faced with a wall of solid ice! So I chipped enough ice removed so I can at least close the door properly, and I turned it off.

Tomorrow, I will go down, drag the freezer outside, and hose it down to get it defrosted. My Grandson has had his punishment, and he has promised not to touch the dial again. I just wonder how much of the food we're gonna loose.

Good evening, everybody.

This evening, I was running my streetcars. I had done so recently because they needed maintenance and the rails needed cleaning. That work has now been done, and the streetcars are again running between downtown and Union Station.

Streetcars.jpg

Happy Model Railroading, everybody.

Say Garry, Great looking Trolley Cars, I like the paint scheme. Dirty tires and tracks don't go together very well. I have the same problem. The city scape scene sure looks very good too. I like the way the buildings have their own personalities. The detailing must have taken some time.

Weather forecast for SE Queensland from this evening till Saturday morning is for rain, 8" to 16", with the heaviest falls just to the north on the Sunshine Coast. Flash flooding expected. Hope I don't need my gumboots. (or a boat)

Good Morning. 50°, and mostly overcast. Yesterday was great, 79°, and sunny. Over at the coast, they are feverishly preparing for the summer season. Many people were out walking/jogging on the board walk, and there were some on the beach. Won't be the same today, as it will be much cooler.

Got the yard cleaned up yesterday, looks good for now. cut the lawn for the first time this season.

Later.

Starting off at 42 degrees and rain. We did get up to 83 yesterday. With todays rain the grandsons will be busy this weekend working on my 2 acre lawn which may look like a hayfield.

CAREY - Grand kids can be fun. Hope you get the freezer squared away.

Did forget to comment on Garry photo. Nice to see traction included in a layout. Nice to see Ken back again.

Here is some more before and after photos.

BEFORE AFTER

IMAG0481.jpg IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, we have 44 and clear. I got down to the tracks yesterday and shot some photos, this is the public crossing that goes to the Sappi wood processing plant, used to be Potlach. It is located on the St. Louis river, about 1/2 mile downhill from our house:

Here is a shot of the mill and the crossing

CR140 007.jpg

Here is some of the track in use, I noticed it is dated:

CR140 004.jpg

CR140 006.jpg

CR140 008.jpg

I didn't realize 100 year old track would still be in use, must have always been on the spur. My question is, has this track been in the same place for it's entire life? I think that is possible, considering the location.

David ... Thanks for the comment. .... Looks like I should have explained more about the background. It is a paper backdrop glued to a wall immediately behind the streetcar track. The backdrop was purchased at a hobby shop in Michigan. I think it is a photograph taken in Pittsburgh if my memory is correct. .... Perhaps I should have posted the photo on April 1st LOL .....

The streetcars are Bachmann Peter Witt models in the Los Angeles scheme. I bought them on sale from Micro mark where the cheapest ones were the ones where they selected the color scheme.

The paint scheme on the trolleys is a close match to the paint scheme on the transit buses made by Classic Metal works. ... The scene below does have model buildings instead of a backdrop, and you can see how the paint scheme on the bus matches the streetcar. The department store is a Bachmann kit and I included details in the display windows next to the sidewalk. Streets are plaster which I tinted to be gray using a small quantity of black paint mixed in.

DowntownHeartland2_zps18607b4b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet .... Your before and after shots are impressive.

LASM ... Interesting photos near your house.

Curt ... Your bridge will be an impressive model when completed.

Back