Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

I think it was called "Strategic Air Command", and I think James Stewart was the lead actor.

My opinion: ... Hollywood has not made a good movie since John Wayne died ( and some other actors of his era ). ... Another opinion, there has not been a decent comedian since Bob Hope died ( and some others of his era )....

I'm glad I have my hobby. The entertainment industry is no longer very entertaining in my opinion.
Weeell... I'm not sure when John Wayne died, but if you limit it to just Westerns, there's Open Range, Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, Quigley Down Under, Hidalgo, The Frisco Kid, The Good The Bad and the Ugly. For TV, there's Broken Trail and the two-season series Dead Man's Gun. Comedians, I like Jeff Dunham and Gabriel Iglesias, for two.

I have good news for everyone who's been complaining about the heat: here in southern Michigan, the leaves are beginning to turn.

Last edited:
I think Marion Morrison died around 1975, a couple of years before Elvis Presley.

Been silent long enough today! Hotter than blazes out here at right around 100 - feels hotter!

Curt -- easy there fellow .. sounds like your getting ready to sell the place? AND, thanks for the comments on the slideshow. That was quite a group of photos.

Agreed, Beady. You named a bunch of my favorite later made westerns.
I think the leaves are turning because of the drought and heat - lol.

Speaking of your "fund", Jesse, I tried to give you some track, but you wouldn't give me an address to send it? How do you expect anyone to contribute?

Chet, Great "pig train" at the club - it just looked too clean - and needed the trailers mixed some. It was 2 and 2 and 2 of the same!

Garry - nice cattle pen scene, and U are correct - It was "Strategic Air Command". It had great flying scenes of the B-36 too. I never realized how much Magnesium was in the construction of that airframe.

Garry - I never realized how much Magnesium was in the construction of that airframe.
I remember there was some issues about using magnesium in aircraft, because of how beautifully and hot it would burn if ignited. Wasn't it Ricky Nelson's private plane that caught fire from that stuff?

Weeell... I'm not sure when John Wayne died, but if you limit it to just Westerns, there's Open Range, Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, Quigley Down Under, Hidalgo, The Frisco Kid, The Good The Bad and the Ugly. For TV, there's Broken Trail and the two-season series Dead Man's Gun. Comedians, I like Jeff Dunham and Gabriel Iglesias, for two.
Lets not forget Lonesome Dove...…………………..

Lonesome Dove, Open Range, The Good the Bad and The Ugly, How the West was Won, Once a Upon a Time in The West and yes even Quigley Down Under are still my favourite western movies.

I remember there was some issues about using magnesium in aircraft, because of how beautifully and hot it would burn if ignited. Wasn't it Ricky Nelson's private plane that caught fire from that stuff?
Also in the superstructure of the British warships involved in the Falklands war (April-June 1982).

Also in the superstructure of the British warships involved in the Falklands war (April-June 1982).

I remember that...they surmised that it exacerbated the the flammability and the fires that burned on/in the superstructures of the ships, one in particular that were hit by the Argentinians.

Good Morning All. Clear and 75° to start our day, going up to 98°, an exact copy of yesterday. Same thing until Wednesday when the weather zombies are predicting six straight days of rain with highs around 90°. Can you say humidity? That's not normally an issue here. But I will welcome any rain at all, last real rain was back in April and the local trees are losing their leaves. Doesn't look like a second cutting of hay this season.
Spent time early in the morning yesterday hauling brush/branches to the brush pile for burning. Pile is getting larger since I don't want to risk any kind of grassfire around here. We're under a "burn ban" anyway, not that I needed one.
Moving on to the train shed, I dragged out the Skilsaw and started cutting fascia boards to start filling in places. After the sun warmed up, I moved to the workbench and started adding mortar and weathering the manufacturing plant. Ran some trains as well when I got bored. Still trying to decide which unfinished area that I will add scenery to next. Lots to choose from and if it truly rains for six days next week, I may be able to get a lot done. Or I may wear out some RR engineers.
By the way, a warning to anyone using or contemplating using "Super Trees". Crickets like eating whatever material that they are made of. Don't ask how I know.:mad:

Jesse - I meant to offer kudos to you yesterday on your family's decision to not use day care. That's the route that we chose and while it meant cutting corners and being frugal for years, it's a decision that neither of us regret. That is not meant to disdain anyone else from using day care, every family has to make that decision based on their own circumstances.
You mentioned sometime last week that you liked the "train shed" description. It is not something that I made up. In case you are unaware of the origin, see train shed.
Chet - Yes the bathroom is very usable to me. I may have posted that I put up the old shower curtain and it works well, the lack of shelves is a minor inconvenience, and I don't ever use the mirror anyway so I don't miss it!;) Absolutely great rail picture yesterday. It looks like it might have been taken around these parts (I know it wasn't) because that's what most ROW's look like going through smaller towns. I have added it to my "inspiration" folder to reference in the future. I have to agree with Sherrel regarding the pig train at the club. The trailers needed some mixing up and weathering, my 2¢
Curt - I know that they were really ships at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, but at that age they were boats to me. My aunt/godmother took me for some kind of public exhibit there and I got to tour an aircraft carrier, destroyer (maybe it was a cruiser or even a battleship) and a submarine. What an adventure for a seven year old. Among the high points of the tour for me were the interior hanger and plane elevator to the deck on the carrier, and the simple swaying gangway with a rope handrail on one side only leading to the mostly submerged submarine. OSHA would never have approved!

Hollywood and movies. I haven't done movies in over forty years because I fall asleep in the theaters. I have enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock movies on TV though. Never really liked most anything else.
Well, everybody have a great day. Today is National Underwear Day; there's a parade on New Orleans to celebrate this day every year.

Good morning all,

Partly cloudy, and 77 degrees going up twords 90. Got some yard work that I neglected yesterday, so now I have no choice. Its supposed to rain several days next week.

happy Sunday everyone!

Well, everybody have a great day. Today is National Underwear Day; there's a parade on New Orleans to celebrate this day every year.

WIllie ..... Now that is really stretching things; don't you think ? ... LOL

Curt, Sherrel, Willie and others.... Thanks for remarking on my photos.

Chet.... I like your SD7.

We had deer in front of the house yesterday ....

]
43862628441_9d98d7ba9a_b.jpg

Last edited:
WIllie ..... Now that is really stretching things; don't you think ? ... LOL

We had deer in front of the house yesterday ....

]
43862628441_9d98d7ba9a_b.jpg
We get those, too. The deer have a field day in my grape arbor.

Attachments

• 37305926_1853787861333956_1141817596807479296_o.jpg
    37305926_1853787861333956_1141817596807479296_o.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 168
Slow recovering from a "surprise birthday party" for my Spousal Unit last evening. We Got her good - she had no idea - and we blindfolded her and drove in circles to get to the party. With family and friends there were 85 people there. Youngest daughter planned the whole thing and she thought we were just going out to a "new" restaurant for dinner. A friend of ours has a monster home with a real party yard with a palapa bar/ barbeque area and large pool. Had gaming tables and real dealers for poker, blackjack, and craps - everyone received $1000 in chips to start. A fun time was had by all until 1 am: I haven't stayed up that late since I retired 20 something years ago!
Temp remains touching the 100 mark - nothing new there.
I have not seen a deer around here in a dozen years -- just an occasional mountain lion .. a few rattlesnakes, and lots of coyotes! I hate the coyotes - small dogs and cats don't stand a chance left out after dark - even in the back yard.

Good morning. A cool start to the day at 47 degrees with an expected high in the low to mid 70's. I think we better enjoy it because temps in the low to mid 90's are expected later this week. We went over to a friends house for a while yesterday and watched his son fly his drone. I gave it a try and did pretty good. My wife suggested that I get a drone, but I remember what happened to Eric. He lost his in a tree and never got it back.

Sherrel - The suprise party sounds like you guys had some fun. I will admit that the pig train at the club was a bit clean. He had just received them a few days earlier. I don't think this guy does much in the way of weathering though.

For me, deer are a pest. Glad that I'm not working any more and having to take the chance of doing any bumper hunting in the dark on the way to work. A few years back, I got three of them in 5 weeks. They are really stupid. They'll atand on the side of the road and wait for a vehicle to come and run right out in front of it. We have a lot around. Not as many before where I live as a number of houses were built over the years. We do have them come into the yard in the fall to eat what apples fall off of the trees. On thing that did bother me last year is when the neighbor had a bear get into his garbage cans. He does have the cans in an enclosure, but the bear made fast work of it. Fish and game did capture the bear and relocated him.

Willie - Don't use the mirror ???? afraid of what you're going to see.. Grin.gif Almost tho the finish line on the bathroom. The photo from yesterday was taken in Michigan.

So far as movies go, I don't think I have been to a theater in over 30 years. Withthe Hollywood snob opening their pie hole with their great knowledge of the world and the common people and their politics, I won't pay a cent thay may go to them. Also, with the price of tickets and refreshments and a trip to town, I'll stay home and enjoy my TV. We recently renegotiated out DirecTV package and being that we are with AT&T we also got HBO for free. Don't think we watched it once.

I did get into the trin room for a while yesterday and did soem minor work on the layout and replaced some knuckle springs in a few Kadee couplers. Used to be able to do that easy, but not any more with the old eyeballs. I did get Buckshot out of the yard and let hin stretch his legs pulling the track cleaning car around while I was working. Usually he just shoves cars around in the yard.

20180804_152030.jpg

It is the only locomotive that I have that still has plastic couplers.

Here's a rail picture for today.

trains-railroad_00389817.jpg

Later

Sherrel, I remember looking out of my office window in Corona one day, and watching a coyote trotting down the middle or Railroad St. At first, I thought it was a German Shepherd, but as he got closer, it became clear he was not.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores around the house this morning then I ran 3 steamers that don't get much run time. The third one that I ran kept having the trailing truck (Spectrum K4s) derail in front of the passenger station. I finally figured out that one of the rail trim pieces was too close to the rail. After that no issues. I need to run more locos tomorrow. I also want to clean all the locos wheels before I take off on the 15th.

Tomorrow a roofing guy is coming out to do an estimate. No leaks yet but the roof is 22 years old and showing it's age.

For some reason the TT bridge gears are not meshing with their counterpart on the basin? I haven't used it for awhile but it worked fine before. You can slide the bridge around smoothly by hand. Something to do when I get back:mad:

Sherrel- Not moving, just doing things that need done.

TruckDad- I have never seen Lonesome Dove or many other mini-series mainly because of my work schedule at the time mini-series were very popular..

Garry- Neat deer picture. The only deer that I know of locally are a small group of Key Deer that live on Disney property (wild). I used to occasionally see them at night when I was working.

Chet- Nice layout picture and rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon fellers. Down in the train room for me I'm attempting to find a direction for my layout. Anyone ever have a plan and be too afraid to put one said plan into action or rather in place? I have what seems to be a great idea to me but kinda afraid to make it a reality. Thoughts are to elevate the town and possibly have a road going down. Or have the road come down to the town. I like the first idea better than the second as I can facilitate more structures. But haven't decided to commit just yet. I really want my roads in place prior to me laying ballast. But I suppose it doesn't matter. Who knows what I'll come up with.

Sherrel - The suprise party sounds like you guys had some fun. I will admit that the pig train at the club was a bit clean. He had just received them a few days earlier. I don't think this guy does much in the way of weathering though.

For me, deer are a pest. Glad that I'm not working any more and having to take the chance of doing any bumper hunting in the dark on the way to work. A few years back, I got three of them in 5 weeks. They are really stupid. They'll atand on the side of the road and wait for a vehicle to come and run right out in front of it. We have a lot around. Not as many before where I live as a number of houses were built over the years. We do have them come into the yard in the fall to eat what apples fall off of the trees. On thing that did bother me last year is when the neighbor had a bear get into his garbage cans. He does have the cans in an enclosure, but the bear made fast work of it. Fish and game did capture the bear and relocated him.

Willie - Don't use the mirror ???? afraid of what you're going to see.. View attachment 29688 Almost tho the finish line on the bathroom. The photo from yesterday was taken in Michigan.

So far as movies go, I don't think I have been to a theater in over 30 years. Withthe Hollywood snob opening their pie hole with their great knowledge of the world and the common people and their politics, I won't pay a cent thay may go to them. Also, with the price of tickets and refreshments and a trip to town, I'll stay home and enjoy my TV. We recently renegotiated out DirecTV package and being that we are with AT&T we also got HBO for free. Don't think we watched it once.

I did get into the trin room for a while yesterday and did soem minor work on the layout and replaced some knuckle springs in a few Kadee couplers. Used to be able to do that easy, but not any more with the old eyeballs. I did get Buckshot out of the yard and let hin stretch his legs pulling the track cleaning car around while I was working. Usually he just shoves cars around in the yard.

Chet- being in a largely rural part of the state(mix of woods, farmland(both dairy & crops) & a sizable marsh north of town, we see quite an abundance of deer. We have also had a few bears wander into the outskirts of town in the past couple years. DNR has managed to successfully "relocate" them to more remote areas.

Back