Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

I am in the unfortunate position of having to offload most of my model trains, and I cringe with every one that goes out the door at half what I paid for it.
Over the past several years, we've gone through our savings, and our retirement fund, and we are now selling assets to cover the increased costs of both household expenses and my wife's medical care. Add to that my job, that I haven't had a raise since 2011, and my wife now being solely on Social Security and Medicare, it really hurts.
I wish there was something I could say or do to help. At least with Erik I was close enough for a quick visit.

Terry -- I wonder if you have thought of starting a "go-fund" account - or whatever it is called.
I'm not very computer smart, but I think it could be done. I'll contribute ... who else?

Terry -- I wonder if you have thought of starting a "go-fund" account - or whatever it is called.
I'm not very computer smart, but I think it could be done. I'll contribute ... who else?
I'd contribute too.

The best way to combat crickets is frequent visits to the coffee shop.

And train pics!

20180225_193719.jpg

Good morning. 71with more rain in the forecast. The percentage is lower today, but it's still there. Gonna take some time and chill today. Got 1 small job to finish up and another I may try to knock out, but we'll see. Need to do some work in the bathroom, but don't want to drag the saw horses out and set up. I know as soon as I do, the rain will start. Waiting for the family to wake up, so I think I'll scour the internet looking for ideas for my scratch built diesel shop. Will check back with y'all later. Have a great day.

Pride is great to have, but sometimes - maybe a person needs a leg up as well.
Unfortunately, it's an ongoing thing. Our outgo is more than our income every month. We haven't gone out to eat in a couple of years, and our travels are limited to when we take our trailer to rallies to promote her part time job and my full time job. Her job helps out with the travel expenses, mine does not. I traded in both our vehicles for one for the lower monthly payment, then traded that in because repairs cost more than the payment. I've sold my toolbox, and am working out of a Craigslist special. My health insurance, which I am required to have, but can't afford to use, just went up another $40 a month. Our rent has remained the same, and rent on our 3 bedroom house on an acre in the historic district is less than most 1 bedroom apartments, and is the only reason we can keep going at all. I've looked into senior apartments, where the rent is half what we pay here, along with other expenses we would not have there either included or not applicable. Since I haven't retired yet, and couldn't retire anyway, I make too much money to live there.
I could go on, but don't want to depress anybody...

Good morning gang
72 and cloudy, with sun predicted for the afternoon. We must have had a huge gullywasher last night, because all the cel phones went nuts in the wee hours with flash flood warnings. Scared us out of a dead sleep!:eek:
Off to an estate sale today, might come home with some authentic REA signage if I'm lucky! Then later I'll bale the lawn.
;)

Unfortunately, it's an ongoing thing. Our outgo is more than our income every month. We haven't gone out to eat in a couple of years, and our travels are limited to when we take our trailer to rallies to promote her part time job and my full time job. Her job helps out with the travel expenses, mine does not. I traded in both our vehicles for one for the lower monthly payment, then traded that in because repairs cost more than the payment. I've sold my toolbox, and am working out of a Craigslist special. My health insurance, which I am required to have, but can't afford to use, just went up another $40 a month. Our rent has remained the same, and rent on our 3 bedroom house on an acre in the historic district is less than most 1 bedroom apartments, and is the only reason we can keep going at all. I've looked into senior apartments, where the rent is half what we pay here, along with other expenses we would not have there either included or not applicable. Since I haven't retired yet, and couldn't retire anyway, I make too much money to live there.
I could go on, but don't want to depress anybody...
It's a damn shame that this is a reality for too many families in America. I'm going to stop here before I venture into territory not suitable for the coffee shop. I'm in a similar situation. I basically had to take my part time business full-time because I was barely surviving on the income I was earning at the lawn company. My wife can't work because 1) we waited 10 years for our son to come along and I don't want someone else raising him so we can both work. And 2) childcare costs so much she would be working to pay for someone else to raise him. I'm glad that we aren't as @#$&ed up as other countries, but we are still pretty @#$&ed up.

Good morning all,

70, and sunny in Northern Illinois. Going to be a hot one today going up in the 90s, with the high humidity. Got some yard work to do, so we will see how that goes.

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. 69° with a few scattered clouds. Mother Nature is not cooperating with the weatherman, as the nights are a lot cooler than have been predicted. No complaints here except the downside is that the pool is around 80° at this time of day, tolerable but low! As a result of the cooler mornings, I am able to continue tree pruning and firewood stockpiling. I have moved to the "back 40" now that all of the trees around the house are finally done. Not having to mow due to the drought has left some time available to catch up on the pruning that went neglected for many years. It will be nice to mow now (whenever that task resumes) without having to dodge all of the low hanging branches. Of course some of this firewood won't be dry enough to use until 2019.
It's been nice using the newly remodeled bathroom. I rigged up the old shower curtain/rod in place of the new door which won't be installed until Monday. Still need the mirror and shelves and the contractor still needs to fix the backward shower control valve, but all else is working to my wife's satisfaction.
Despite thinking that I would spend more time in the train shed with the warm weather, it just doesn't seem to be happening. Projects and chores are just taking up too much of my time. I didn't get out there until after 3:00 yesterday. I guess that I could reduce my pool time earlier in the day!:cool: When I did finally get there, I added a few more pieces of fascia before the urge to run trains took over. I did fill the void on the workbench by bringing back the small factory/warehouse to start the mortar work and window installation. Reminds me that I have some "in progress" pictures on the camera that I intend to post. I have just been so enthusiastic regarding the fascia that has been lethargic due to no available table saw for so long, that I have jumped right in.

Chet - Have they given you space in a back room at the club to set up a cot yet?;) LOL Another great picture and video as usual. Extra beer? Sounds like a great idea. I'll have a couple of extra per your suggestion.
Garry - I usually replace the plastic couplers when they give me any hint of a problem as well. I don't necessarily search them out. The plastic wheels don't give me problems other than crud, so I replace them as soon as I find them. I actually have a list that I printed from a query that I wrote for my inventory database that identifies all of them, it's just finding them that takes so long. Let's see, where's that red ATSF boxcar? Another great picture, I haven't seen the packing plant in a while.
Jesse - The door actually hasn't made it into the house yet, that will be the real adventure, as the bathroom is as far from the back door as it can be and still be inside! But it can be taken in half at a time and I will have a helper, or should I say I will help the contractor. Regarding kits: Accurail is the only major manufacturer left that still makes decorated kits. To the best of my knowledge there are still some smaller companies that make them and Intermountain makes undecorated ones.
Sherrel - After having spent all of my working life working with glass and windows, I too was surprised at how heavy that door was. It is 3/8" tempered glass, although the tempering is not relevant. Hardware, framing and packaging are probably only 20-25 lbs., so the panels are easily 80 lbs. each. She picked it out; I hope that she can operate it. Otherwise we'll be showering together! Hmmmh!
I assume that you meant Carswell AFB in Ft.Worth for that slide show. They were all gone by the time that we moved to Texas. I actually grew up in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn within spitting distance of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Although the only aircraft that I saw from there were the last of their dirigibles. They didn't have any planes based there to my knowledge, just big boats.
Karl - Nice picture, I enjoy your backgrounds as well.
Terry - There's nothing that I can add to the comments already made regarding the unfortunate situation that you are presently in. My thoughts and prayers are still there for your wife and you. Do whatever you can to keep her comfortable as I believe peace of mind is a powerful medicine. Stay positive. I fully understand the "outgo versus the income" situation as I have been there as well when I was putting three kids through private college at the same time, without a raise for five years due to bankruptcy recovery of my employer. My wife was always a stay at home mom, but she was also undergoing costly health issues at the time and was unable to work as we had always planned.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend. For what it is worth, today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and National Mustard Day as well as National U.S. Coast Guard Birthday.

Last edited:
Good morning, everybody ....

Karl ..... I Like your # 1128 .... Looks like a real brute. .... I know what you mean about cell phones and their flash flood warnings. Last time I had them was driving towards Michigan, and my phone did that repeatedly in southern Indiana. Driving through very heavy storms, I did not need something that could have scared me off of I-69.

Terry .... We all do care. From what you say, the problem is not enough income. I don't think any of us has a suggested solution. I would buy you a winning Power Ball ticket if I could. Prayers continue.

Jesse ... Best wishes to you too, Sounds like another case of "Too much month remaining after the end of the money." ... Sounds like you are still young enough and healthy enough for hard work. Also, you should try to have enough income so you can save for your son's education, your retirement, etc. ... So, I would suggest seeking a higher paying job. Our country now has more jobs than people willing to work.... You and your wife serve praise for her staying home to raise your son. He will be better of because of that ... Thoughts and prayers. .... After I buy Tery a winning Power Ball ticket, I will get one for you. .. LOL ..... Thanks for commenting on my photo. The fence is taller than my cattle.

Willie .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Sherrel ....Regarding B36's, I recall when I was a kid they were in a movie my Dad took me to. Soon after that, I built a plastic model of one.

Last edited:
Good morning. A cool start to the day at 48 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's today.

It was rather quiet lest evening here. I saw a fe posts on my phone, but my computer was turned off and I was busy with some honey dos.

Terry - I really feel for you and your wife. There are a lot of folks in the same boat unfortunately. I thank God that were are totally debt free and have made some good investments plus I have my hoard of classic cars which I am slowly selling off. I would also contribute to the fund. A number of retired people in the city of Bozeman are being taxed out of their homes because the city keeps raising property taxes for stupid things like parks and green spaces. A real shame.

Karl - That Western Maryland steamer is beautiful.

Garry - My SD-7 is back in the yard licking it wounds because it wouldn't run properly at the club.

20180803_170038.jpg

Sherrel - I enjoyed the slide show on the B-36. That was a big plane. If I remember correctly,it could only land at a small number of ait strips because it was so heavy.

Willie - Almost to the finish line on the bathroom remodel. At least you can use it now even if there are a couple of small items to get finished.

Here's a rail picture for today.

milford-michigan-railroad-tracks.jpg

Gotta go finish the laundry, Later

Last edited:
Air Force, with James Stewart?

I think it was called "Strategic Air Command", and I think James Stewart was the lead actor.

My opinion: ... Hollywood has not made a good movie since John Wayne died ( and some other actors of his era ). ... Another opinion, there has not been a decent comedian since Bob Hope died ( and some others of his era )....

I'm glad I have my hobby. The entertainment industry is no longer very entertaining in my opinion.

Good Afternoon,

This morning I brush cleaned the gutters (PVC) and pulled all the hanging moss off a tree (a lot) and sprayed grass killer on the cracks on the driveway. Now I'm just vegging out.

Willie- Good luck getting the shower door in the house. What you saw in Brooklyn are most likely ships not boats. There is a saying in the sub service, There are two types of ships-submarines and targets:cool:.

Chet- There are so many different trailers (TOFC) that it looks strange to my eye. Nice looking layout and track photo.

Garry- Nice looking stock pens. Are they wood or the Walthers kit? Was the movie Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart?

Sherrel- Great slide show.

Karl- Nice looking WM locomotive.

Terry- Sorry to hear of your issues.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie - good plan. Let the guy earning the money don't he heavy lifting. Lol. I'll look into the kits. It seems that my national holiday didn't catch on very well. I received zero dollars.

Garry - that is absolutely my problem. That's why I went into business for myself, hoping that being the boss would pay better. So far, so good, but still a long way to go. I also agree that hollyweird stinks. The entertainment industry as a whole (movies, sports, etc) has become to politicized for my liking.

Chet - great layout pics, as always. Nice rail shot as well.

Back