Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Bruette: Good thing religion is not a strictly forbidden topic, or my big old ass would have been banned years ago!
Aaaarrrggghhh!!! I am in extreme Kegel mode, right now, trying to not say anything.

I'm coming to a decision I really dont want to come to. I've been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting for about 10 years. However, I haven't done any shooting in over two years, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder how much longer I can afford to let all that money in the gun safe lie idle. Problem is, I'm emotionally attached to some of the contents, and listing them all would be such a pain. And then there's all the clothing and reloading supplies! Just imagine what it would be like to quit model railroading, and to be faced with getting rid of all the stuff without losing too much money.

About two weeks before we leave on our drive to Seattle. Mrs Beady insists that we take the car ferry across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc; it just seems strange to me, since it was less than six months ago we cruised down to Barbados and back.The strangest thing, though, is how convinced the family is that we'll get burned up in a wildfire.

Aaaarrrggghhh!!! I am in extreme Kegel mode, right now, trying to not say anything.

I'm coming to a decision I really dont want to come to. I've been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting for about 10 years. However, I haven't done any shooting in over two years, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder how much longer I can afford to let all that money in the gun safe lie idle. Problem is, I'm emotionally attached to some of the contents, and listing them all would be such a pain. And then there's all the clothing and reloading supplies! Just imagine what it would be like to quit model railroading, and to be faced with getting rid of all the stuff without losing too much money.

About two weeks before we leave on our drive to Seattle. Mrs Beady insists that we take the car ferry across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc; it just seems strange to me, since it was less than six months ago we cruised down to Barbados and back.The strangest thing, though, is how convinced the family is that we'll get burned up in a wildfire.
I am in the unfortunate position of having to offload most of my model trains, and I cringe with every one that goes out the door at half what I paid for it.
Over the past several years, we've gone through our savings, and our retirement fund, and we are now selling assets to cover the increased costs of both household expenses and my wife's medical care. Add to that my job, that I haven't had a raise since 2011, and my wife now being solely on Social Security and Medicare, it really hurts.

Man I forgot the coffee shop moves monthly. Time has been flying! Just realized that this Sunday the misses and me will be on the final leg of our journey to bring our son into the world. He seems to be doing well. Very active. Nothing much else to report on. Run trains when I can and trying to figure out how my mountain is going to lay. It's more of a scenery divider but it's a mountain none the less. Trying to plan out what's in my head is harder than it seems.

Terry .... I'm sad to read about your situation. Prayers for you and your wife.

Life can be like a game of checkers.... Sometimes you get jumped.... Sometimes you get crowned.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 72. Still have flash flood watches and warnings through today. Possibly being discontinued this evening.

Good Morning Friends. It's 71° and clear. Wasn't supposed to get this cool last night, but I'll take it. Back to our normal August weather of hot and dry for a while. Weather Bureau seems to be pretty positive about rain beginning next Wednesday for a couple of days. Local trees are losing leaves right now due to the drought conditions. The measly sprinkling Monday didn't do anything except settle the dust.
Picked up the shower door yesterday. The damn box weighs 190 lbs. Took three HD employees to load it, and none of them came home with me to help unload. It's in the driveway leaning up against the other car. Wasn't easy to unload. Actual glass panels measure 30" x 74", but the box measures 40" x 84". I haven't opened it yet to see what's inside or what makes the carton so large.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I started adding fascia to the lower deck. It's coming along well so far. Of course I am covering up all of my markings that are on the 1" x 4" framing, things like switch numbers, town names and directional arrows. Really don't need the arrows or town names any more since that part of my memory still works. Did some cleaning and maintenance on a few freight cars, found one on a little used siding that had both plastic wheels and McHenry couplers still on it. No wonder the RR employees left it on that siding. Surprised that it isn't covered in graffiti.

Jesse - While I never came across a deal like you got, a majority of my freight cars are made from kits. I still purchase Accurail kits. Most of what you posted appears to be Athearn blue box kits, easy to work with and practically indestructible (unless intentional).

Everybody have a great Friday.

Happy Friday all,

It’s mostly clear and pleasant so far this morning going up into the low 80 s.

Good morning. 59 degrees to start off the day with an expectd high reaching 90. Got up to 93 yesterday. Did a bit of yard work early before the temp started rising and then headed over to the club in Livingston. Nice and cool down in the basement of the old depot.

Terry
- Really sorry to hear about your situation. Prayers for your wife. Hope she can get some relief.

Jesse - Quite a haul you got there. Think you'll be needing a bulk pack of Kadee couplers.

Willie - From the way you're talking the remodeling saga may be coming to an end. Better get some extra beer for a celebration.

Louis - That was an interesting electrical problem. Happy that it didn't cost you anything. The joys of home ownership.

It was extremely busy at the club yesterday with so many visitors. I ran a shorty Milwaukee Road train as the SD-9 which is DC just couldn't get up to speed. Ain't figured that one out yet. I'verun DC locomotives there before and they all perform just fine.

20180802_145753.jpg

One of the members must have picked up every piggy back car that just came out recently. Here's a video of it running at the club.

Sorry about the background modulation. It was quite crowded there.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Monte-Sano-State-Park-old-railroad-tracks.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Willie .... I still have some freight cars with plastic couplers and plastic wheels, too. I upgrade them when they cause problems.

Chet .... I like the club photos and video. Looks like a fun club.

Here is an SD7 working at the meat packing plant stock yard. ...

36604423722_225abf6265_b.jpg

Good morning y'all. It's a rather pleasant 71 this morning. Light rain in the area and looks like more coming in behind it, so I'm trying to get some work done while I can. Still nothing new from the train shed, other than the photos I shared. Hopefully I'll get time soon to fiddle around with some of the cars. Gotta spend some time working on my own extended bathroom remodel this weekend. Gotta keep the rail boss happy so I can keep buying trains.

Terry - I am sorry to hear about the situation you are in. I'm keeping you both in my prayers.

Willie - sounds like an adventure getting that door to the house. Hope you rewarded yourself with a beer. If I could find kits, I'd build them. None of my local HS carry them and it seems every time I make plans to hit a show that's passing through town, I can't make it. I haven't searched on eBay for them yet, but I think I'll try. I'm trying to figure out where to take my HO stuff. I know most of it is going to definitely find a use, but I'm not sure about the logging cars. Haven't given a lot of thought to doing anything with that aspect.

Chet - thank you. I will definitely need to buy in bulk. But that will come later. Right now my focus is on getting them stripped and repainted. I'm going to have to figure out how to identify the manufacturer that the cars represent so I can look for suitable prototypes to model. Great pics from the club. Anyone coming down that rail may want to "mind the gap" as they say. Lol

Garry - nice SD7. Although I assume they are in the corral, from this angle it's hard to tell so I gotta ask: Where's the beef?

Morning: After living in this house for 10 years - we finally decided to add a lattice patio cover in the back. Two workers put it up in 5 hours - no wasted movements and they left the work area spotless ... pic later.

Supposed to be 97 again today, it was 97.6 yesterday - no clouds to be seen anywhere; hasen't rained in years!

Nothing new on the medical front except: Came home with $46.00 worth of medicine to try and combat the constant nose drip that I have for the first 5 hours EVERY day - it's like a leaky facet.

Willie: That must be some shower door. Better add some bracing under the floor for that thing? Once upon a time, In a land far-far away, I owned a small glass company. I don't ever remember a 190 lb. shower door. Is it made from 1/2 inch plate?

Chet: Some one stole the track, or the company ran out of money, or the track gang quit, or, or, or........

My sister & her family took the ferry to come for my wedding 4 years ago. Sunset cruise over, got toasted on the Sunday afternoon cruise back east.

Nothing new on the medical front except: Came home with $46.00 worth of medicine to try and combat the constant nose drip that I have for the first 5 hours EVERY day - it's like a leaky facet.

Oh, sorry to hear that Sherrel, that snot funny! :eek:;):D

Terry - it seems that the crickets from the old place have settled into the new place. It may be time to get an exterminator out here. Lol

Well -- All you "cricketeers" take a look at this one just posted(I believe).
Willie - Guess you were just a little young at this time, but was in your backyard, yes?

Back