Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, had to scrape ice this morning!

Full sunshine out there, though. I got a Roundhouse old timer stock car in the mail yesterday, purchased from ebay. Really has some nice, clear crisp writing on it and only $ 10.45 shipping included.

I will have to pick a photo later,

Max Diyer-- is your name Jim and who is Max?

more later, Dave

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Some great layout pics y'all are sharing. I haven't worked on my layout in quite some time. Went back to my old stomping grounds over the weekend. No east bound freight action though. So no pusher service needed. Did catch a rail train and an empty coal train headed west. Now that I think of it. I didn't even see the pusher sitting on the siding. Wonder if CSX actually did away with it? They have been running mid train pushers. Although they are becoming quite rare now. Today seems like a good day to share some CSX photos.
A220carloadedcoaltrainwithmidtraindistributedpowerrollsintoStAlbansWVaonJan272018.jpg

Start off with some CSX mid train pushers.
images (3).jpeg

The old Allegheny pusher set. A pair of SD40s. They definitely made a roar in the hollers when they were shoving up the grade.
14701744368_55c85ec6f5_b.jpg

CSX coming into Ronceverte, WV. Just around the curve the mainline goes down to a single track. That's all I have for now. I'm glad y'all liked the steam photo. I'll keep looking for some photos to share.

Good Morning Gang. It's 62° and partly cloudy here in North Central Texas, still looking at highs in the upper 70's and thunderstorms late this afternoon and all day tomorrow. I did manage to get the remainder of the yard mowed yesterday, last acre or so, so I'm good for a few days.
Blueberry pancakes, sausage and apple juice for me today, Flo.

Thanks for the comments and likes on yesterday's post; Dave (lasm), Patrick, Garry, Sherrel, Chet, Joe, Phil, Jerome, Jim, Curt, Tom, Dave (truckdad). Oh! And Justin as well.

Took a minor break from scenery in the train shed yesterday and returned to the Oakleaf Industries structure build. I got out the weathering powders and spent a little time doing the roof and top surface of the loading dock. I also did some painting on the detail parts that I am going to use; barrels, crates, lumber bundles, outdoor light fixtures (non-working), etc.
For the next big project, I'm actually going to do two concurrently, since I need a little more time to think about that large peninsula. I'll start with painting and ballasting track along with adding foam to the outer edge while contemplating the inner area. In the meantime there's a small six foot area across the aisle that needs attention. It is about 2" wide on one end, expanding to ~7" on the other, due to not running track parallel to the layout edge. I have a few structures tentatively placed in position.
04-22-19 006.JPG

There is an imaginary road in the aisle in front of these structures. Trailer needs underpinning, paint and details added for completion. On the right side of the red house is another house; the other half of that DPM "Emery Lane" kit that I posted last week. You may remember this one which I posted about a year ago.
05-02-18 007.JPG

Finishing this small parcel of plywood would be sort of a milestone, as it would give me a continuous 16' stretch of completed scenery from fascia to backdrop; the longest stretch on the layout.

Dave - Once again a great photo from the old layout.
Johnny - Looking forward to those phantom photos.;) I am somewhat puzzled that the newer Genesis loco did not run at the same speed. I almost never have an issue with identical models from the same manufacturer. One or the other must have had some rework done on it.
Chet - Nice series of photos. I do like your layout; we have many of the same structures and I get some ideas for detailing etc, from looking at how you use yours.
Curt -
Willie- That area would be perfect for a engine servicing yard or maybe a container yard. What's the radius of the turn? Really nice looking buildings.
Thanks for the suggestions and comment. I already have a small engine servicing facility elsewhere. I considered a container yard, but the circular nature of the space doesn't really lend itself to that. I am still considering a small TOFC unloading facility on one side though. I hope to fit a small industrial park on the right side; I've actually already assembled a couple of industries that appear to fit. Radius. The outer loop is 32", while the inner passing siding is 29.75"
Jim - Your pictures remind me of the state of much of my layout over the past few years. Indeed there is still a place that looks like that. Problem is that if I clean it up and put everything away, I would not be able to locate it as easily as I can now. Didn't I read on another thread that you are soon to retire and will have more time? That's actually a fallacy regarding retirement!;) You'll soon be hearing "Oh, you're retired so you have time to...(insert favor here)". Especially true if you happen to own a pick up truck.

Meant to mention yesterday, that I got a very brief message from Louis on Sunday, simply indicating that he and the family had a Happy Easter.

That is all. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 72 and rainy.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions on what to do with my new F3A Genesis loco.
Garry - The loco is new (or at least is supposed to be, and looks it). I will contact Athearn and ask if there's a way to change the gears or settings. If it is DCC ready (I only run DC) maybe that will help.

Okay, for all you doubters: here are some photos of one of the stores in my town. I just finished detailing it last night. For some reason the photos are a little out of focus. Odd, since my iPad, which I use a lot for photos, is usually quite reliable. Maybe I'm too close to the objects? Anyway, this was a popular mom-and-pop store in my neighborhood growing up, so I've re-created it in my fictitious town on the layout:NillStoreApril2019_5.jpgNillStoreApril2019-2.jpg

NillStoreApril2019-1.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning y'all. 63° and sunny. Have to go over to town hall and pay taxes, then go to the mall, and buy the MIL a birthday gift.

Willie and Johnny: Nice work guys.

The new RMC arrived yesterday, first edition under the new editor, Otto Vondrak. Most interesting item was an article on photography. Now I know why I'm such a bad photographer :rolleyes:.

Boris

Last edited:
Good Morning to All
crazy weekend here , big big gorse fires , folks taken out of their homes and helicopters fighting the fires
stuff you only see in the U S A { Not any more }climate change etc etc , they reckon it was a BBQ that started it , anyway everybody is safe and it is under control today , so thats the good news , More good news , Microsclaes Arrived , so i started on the A unit and the B unit and the GP
The A & B units will be Heavily weathered as i will use them for the Coal Mine , the GP is coming along nicely , again heavily weathered , to hide my crappy work :) i have not commented on any posts as i was not on over the weekend , i will look back through the posts as im sure there are great pics as always . i wish you all a great day .

Chuck
geep.jpg
g2.jpg
b1.jpg

Good Morning to All
crazy weekend here , big big gorse fires , folks taken out of their homes and helicopters fighting the fires
stuff you only see in the U S A { Not any more }climate change etc etc , they reckon it was a BBQ that started it , anyway everybody is safe and it is under control today , so thats the good news , More good news , Microsclaes Arrived , so i started on the A unit and the B unit and the GP
The A & B units will be Heavily weathered as i will use them for the Coal Mine , the GP is coming along nicely , again heavily weathered , to hide my crappy work :) i have not commented on any posts as i was not on over the weekend , i will look back through the posts as im sure there are great pics as always . i wish you all a great day .

Chuck
View attachment 36211View attachment 36212View attachment 36213
well i be dammed , are the stripes the wrong way on the GP ?o_O

Good morning ... supposed to be 79 today with currently clear and calm.

Made some serious progress on the garage yesterday - one car now resides inside. Today's mission is to get to Walmart for a few quick items ... eggs, milk, bread, and dog food/treats. Later this afternoon will be a stop at Sprout's for veggies and fruits.
Sprout's is a smaller store, maybe 100x100 sq feet and it is like a farmers market with the best looking veggies - and cheapest - of all the big chains.
Back to the garage -- a trip to the scrap dealer for bottles/cans/scrap metal that has accumulated, a stop at a shop to see about getting the baseplate installed on the car, and then back to cleaning. Now comes the re-arranging of all the wood working tools to facilate easier working with them and be able to open the door where the sawdust will mostly go outside rather than coating everything including myself. Almost forgot - A trip to Salvation Army for the giveaways and to the local dog pound to donate items to them as well. Then wrapping up - photos of bycycles, tricycles, furniture, carpets, and other items for listing on one of the local exchanges here. Might get a few $ for some of the items - anything will help?

I might even get excited enough to start a layout after this ..... found a few trains that I had forgot about!

Glad everything worked out for you, TERRY.
Nice pictures everyone - you too Johnny!

HA, HA, CHUCK ... That must have made your heart skip a beat?
you gonna put the all weather windows on it?

I'm back from the mall, and we survived a side trip to home depot. When I finish this post, it's off to pay the property taxes.

Editorial Comment: Frequently, we read lamentations about the decline and fall of the brick and mortar retail store, and by extension, the shopping mall. Today, we went to the mall, and shopped two major department stores including the world famous New York department store. Hard to buy somethig when they don't have a large selection and don't carry your shoe size. Check outs, well, one per floor, staffed by a single person. Not for nothing, school's out this week and mother / daughter teams are out shopping for prom dresses. It's Spring time, and folks are shopping for Mothers Day and upcoming events. it's no wonder people order on line. Same disease as what affects the LHS, surly help, insufficient inventory, and no clue what the shopper is looking for. Editorial Comment Completed.

Maybe, I'll get to the train room this afternoon.

Chuck: Nice work on the CN power.

Boris

I'm back from the mall, and we survived a side trip to home depot. When I finish this post, it's off to pay the property taxes.

Editorial Comment: Frequently, we read lamentations about the decline and fall of the brick and mortar retail store, and by extension, the shopping mall. Today, we went to the mall, and shopped two major department stores including the world famous New York department store. Hard to buy somethig when they don't have a large selection and don't carry your shoe size. Check outs, well, one per floor, staffed by a single person. Not for nothing, school's out this week and mother / daughter teams are out shopping for prom dresses. It's Spring time, and folks are shopping for Mothers Day and upcoming events. it's no wonder people order on line. Same disease as what affects the LHS, surly help, insufficient inventory, and no clue what the shopper is looking for. Editorial Comment Completed.

Maybe, I'll get to the train room this afternoon.

Chuck: Nice work on the CN power.

Boris

Boris, I hear ya about the Malls. Our local mall has lost one of the original anchor stores (Sears), the Chick-fil-a, a womans clothier, and 2 jewelry stores, all in the last year! Not to mention several other small shops. The only place doing any real business is the revamped movie theater. Its depressing that the busiest the mall gets is when the Seniors get in there to do the morning "mall walk" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back