Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gute Morgan all!

Thanks Terry, for the new Coffee Shop!

My Kit-Bashing Contest is over and a winner was chosen. Just need an address to mail the book to, now!

Per the 10 day forecast, it's +22 degrees right now and on Thursday at 10 O'Clock AM, the temp is supposed go above freezing and stay above until the following Tuesday at Midnight. We had snow flurries yesterday for a while and we're supposed to have then again tomorrow. I would be guessing; but, i think we have lost around 60% of the snow coverage we had. The lakes have little snow coverage and mostly ice now.

Stomach is a bit off this morning, Flo! I'll have oatmeal and coffee this morning!

Thanks!

Good Morning All. 38° and cloudy to start the month of April off with. One more day of this chilliness with the high in the upper 50's, and then back into the 70's until next Sunday when the high is forecast to be in the 80's for the foreseeable future. Lows around 60° at night. My kind of weather.

Thanks for the comments and likes on the barns yesterday; Garry, Dave, Chet, Phil, Tom, Sherrel, and anyone else that I may have missed.
Here's a few pictures of a fire department (just for Joe). This area was still under development when these pictures were taken, hence some unpainted plywood nearby. You may remember that building under construction next door from a few weeks ago.
07-17-13 004.JPG

07-17-13 007.JPG

07-17-13 006.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was a short day like most Sundays. Painted another parking area, and put down a lot of ground foam. While waiting for all of that to dry, I moved to a different area and did some layout housekeeping. Picked up loose rail joiners, ties, tools and other construction materials; and prepared the area for rail and ground painting. This included shaving off that little ridge that is left on cork roadbed when you split it. I prepared about 20' of main, 18' of passing siding, and close to 35' of industry track at the ethanol processing plant. I need to paint this track pretty quickly as I have 16 ethanol tankers occupying a passing siding elsewhere while I work this area. Painting and ballasting are all that I will do in the near future, development of this area is at least a year away after some other projects. It does give me a side project to work on during the inevitable waiting on glue/paint to dry phase of other things.

Dave - Thanks for re-posting that shot of the Farmer's Market. I remembered it from a few years ago, and when I saved it in my "inspiration" folder yesterday, I realized that I already had it. Need to review that folder more often!
Sherrel - JR Ewing likes his barns looking brand new. That's him in the right-center with the cowboy hat looking things over. I liked the freight better in your video. Don't get to see too many SD39 models.

After having thought about it for a while yesterday, I decided that I will never finish my layout. And then what, when I pass away what will happen to my little work of art. So I have decided to leave the hobby. Please PM me if you are interested in over 350 structures, 80 engines or 800 freight cars. Serious offers only.

Everybody have a great April Fool's Day

Good morning y'all! Happy April ! it's sunny and 31°

I have been using MS Edge as a browser, dating back to my migration to Win 10. Suddenly, since the most recent update, it suddenly shuts itself off without warning or any notice. After checking settings, and running updated virus scans, I have elected to migrate all internet activity to Firefox.
So I will be spending the day on that.

Meanwhile, I'll take a coffee to go. That will hold me until I get to the Delancy St. Lunch truck.

Good morning. Another month gone. Time flied when you're having fun. A large black coffee and an apple turnover please.

Mark - Glad to see that you are also losing snow cover. We have lost quite a bit, but will have a lot lingering around in the shaded areas.

Willie - Bravo of the photos. appl.gif Really like that fire department building. I unfortunately don't have room for even a small one. It really is impressive.

Today I head to town to visit the surgeon to find out what's in store next. I don't have a lot of what I would call pain, more like an annoying throbbing. Still not sleeping well because of this. Guess we'll have to get a game plan figured out and a physical therapy schedule set up.

Here's a layout photo for today. Passengers are starting to gather for the soon departing southbound train from Logan to West Yellowstone.

thumbnail_20190329_083910.jpg

Later

Here's a few pictures of a fire department (just for Joe).

Willie: Thank you for sharing! Well done, The Fallout shelter sign and the Civil Defense Logo give depth to the scene. The fire station belnds in very nicely with the downtown business district scene.

Factoid: The building is sort of Art Decoish, or 50s Moderne, but reminds me of the old Bureau of Fire Headquarters station on Race Street in Philadelphia. Wilmington, DE, acquired all their fire trucks from Civil defense, after WW2. These lasted in service into the early 70s, with the Civil Defense logos on the side of the trucks.

Good morning, 32 and cloudy this morning. We had a dusting of snow on the ground this morning, otherwise it has pretty much all melted, a few isolated piles.

Received another Roundhouse box car kit in the mail Saturday. Another NP truss rod model, still different from the ones I have in that ladder is separate and floor is cast but also pre painted. To the plus also it is a different road number but otherwise nearly exactly the same.

Willie, nice fire station

Boris, good luck on the computer. I have been lucky so far.

Here is the layout photo of the day, this one is before the new backdrop went up. This original backdrop was made from the vinyl table cloth with spray paint blue:

burned over 016.JPG

This was my attempt at making an old burned over area that has been regrowing. This area somewhat evolved, eventually I had the grizzly bear looking around one of the trees.

More later, Dave

Dave: Thanks, I'm going to need patience to move all the addresses. Before I logged in to the forum, I set up all sorts of new folders so hopefully I can find stuff.

Like the photo. the use of real and slightly darkened twigs is an interesting technique. Never thought of doing that.

Boris

Good morning, 32 and cloudy this morning. We had a dusting of snow on the ground this morning, otherwise it has pretty much all melted, a few isolated piles.

Received another Roundhouse box car kit in the mail Saturday. Another NP truss rod model, still different from the ones I have in that ladder is separate and floor is cast but also pre painted. To the plus also it is a different road number but otherwise nearly exactly the same.

Willie, nice fire station

Here is the layout photo of the day, this one is before the new backdrop went up. This original backdrop was made from the vinyl table cloth with spray paint blue:

View attachment 35588

This was my attempt at making an old burned over area that has been regrowing. This area somewhat evolved, eventually I had the grizzly bear looking around one of the trees.

More later, Dave

Griz? You skin this'un and I'll get ya another!

Good morning everyone. 30 and sunny out there. Had mild freezes last two nights. I need a large coffee, Flo, and a couple of glazed doughnuts, please.

My wife and I worked outside most of the weekend - both days were at least decent, if not really warm. Raked lots of leaves, put out a dozen bags of mulch, and I tilled our garden (roughly 40 X 30). I used muscles that have been sleeping since October, and I'm paying the price today:(.

Those of you interested in the NCAA tournament - so how are your brackets doing? I don't do the brackets myself, just watch a few games. Like many of you, I'm totally fed up with pro sports and don't watch them any more - haven't for a couple of years now. But I do watch a little college football and basketball.

Boris, Dave, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for your comments on my layout photo from last Friday.
Tom - Really like those club layout photos you posted last week. Makes me drool to see layouts that big and nice.
Chet - Yes, that's your fire truck partly in the bay. It's still a center of attention when visitors come over to see the layout.
Willie - Enjoying all of your layout photos. Keep posting! That's an impressive fire station, by the way - too modern for my layout, but very nice!
Dave L&SM - I really like your layout photos, especially of the various log and lumber locations.

Worked outside a lot over the weekend, but still got some scenicking done on the layout and ran trains for a short while. I finally got a gravel road up to the logging camp, but it still needs some detailing. Will post a photo later. Also started a project that's been on hold for a long time - adding lighting to the town of Pine Valley. Got a few buildings lighted, with more on the way as time (and money) allow. Also moved a few industries/businesses around on the layout and I'm more satisfied with the new locations.

Here's a photo for today (can't remember if I posted this before or not) - a close-up of one part of Main Street in the town of Pine Valley. Still plan to add some more shoppers along the sidewalk.
Townview1_3_28_19.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast here in Wisconsin.

Home from the cabin yesterday and there's still piles of snow and snow on the ground in the woods. Where the plow pushed snow up its still 3 feet high. We stayed in a supper club motel complex, sort of a resort on a lake near Wautoma. It was like going back to the 1960's with the decor and the atmosphere in the bar /lounge area. The room is the not the same like the modern motels and hotels that we know. Met some friends and had a great time Saturday and Saturday night, maybe too much fun since we stayed up until 2:00 AM.

The only modern time thing in the room was a smallest flat screen TV. Local weekly newspaper in the room, no ice machines, no room to room telephone service and a tiny bathroom. Nice view of the frozen lake!

Train room later.

Had to get those pesky Centerline cars working so the don't derail.

Great pictures everyone.

Chet: Good luck at the medical appointment today. Keep us posted.

That's all for now.

Greg

#############################

Mornin, all. Sunny and somewhere near freezing. I'm sitting in the orthopedist waiting room, waiting to get my shoulder examined. Chet, you're such an inspiration to us all!

Torn rotator cuff. Now I need an MRI.

Crap! MSU made it to the Final Four. Crap!

Afternoon fellers. I meant to stop by sooner but got side tracked. Daughter had her first follow up appointment today with her pediatrician. It has been decided to keep my daughter out of school this week. She has another follow up with the trauma doctor on Thursday to see how her liver is healing. She's healing really quickly though. Can barely tell she had an accident at all! Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and prayers. This has been a tough setback for my family but I suppose it's a part of being a parent. I know I've had my share of accidents. My really bad bike accident left my face scarred and took 4 hours in the ER to glue my face back together. So I know all too well about bad accidents. It's helped the misses through this. She cringes everytime we drive past the spot. I however take it as something that happened that despite my best efforts I couldn't prevent and going forward I can apply the lessons I learned from it. I'm sure my daughter will too. I'd say hills aren't in her future on a bike. At least not for awhile at least. And moving on I managed to get some train time in over the weekend. Tidied up some around the layout as well. Studied up on making budget trees too. Looking at using reindeer moss to fill in my hill areas when I finally get it constructed. I watched a video on it and really like the results. It looks better than puff ball trees. At least to me anyways. I even watched a video on upgrading those super cheap eBay trees too. Some good tutorials on YouTube. That's all I have for now. I'll check in later if I get a chance.
_17_at_Widen_4x6.jpg
BC_G_hoppers_at_Tipple.jpg

I got out of the doctors office minus the staples. Start PT Wednesday morning. Not really looking forward to the first few weeks as there is still quite a bit of swelling. May have to bring some whiskey.

Hope things work out for you Beady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back