Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning and happy Easter everybody ...

Mark ... Jokes are not offensive. Yours is not and neither is the one posted by Sherrel..... Everybody should laugh at both of them. Both are funny. ...Smile. :)... Thanks for sharing humor.

Willie..... You have a big layout.

Tom ..... Your model of a piggy packer is impressive.

Chuck ...... Wow, that's a lot of track in that picture.

Justin ..... Nice photo of a steam locomotive.

Karl .... Uh, oh .... Your living room project has priority over model railroading. Watch out. You may become a lost cause. ... LOL

Everybody .... Have a nice day .... Don't eat too many Easter eggs.

Good morning. The weather sure has changed. 40 degrees with rain.

Happy Easter.

Sherrel - I thought it was funny also.

Justin - That's a nice photo of the steamer.

Tom - Like the Piggy Packer. Unfortunately too late for my time period. Nice acquisition.

Chuck - What a maze. Sure wouldn't want to have to be in control of that area.

Willie - I can see a lot of potential in that area.

Although I freelance, I do model an actual area, right where I live.

I tried to use actual industries in the area or what could have existed had a railroad existed i the towns. Here's one business that did exist in the area and is still in business today.

Karst's Camp was originally a dude ranch that was founded in 1901 by Pete Karst. He was awarded the property because of back pay that the Cooper Tie Company owed him. Karst built a cabin and eventually built twenty-five cabins to accommodate one hundred people. In 1937 he installed a rope tow for use in recreational skiing. Karst's Camp eventually hosted a local bar and brothel for the local miners. Karst operated this resort of sorts for fifty years and eventually retired. There was a restaurant at the location of the Camp which remained in business until the mid 80's when it burned to the ground.

Although the camp no longer exists, they did furnish transportation from the train station in Bozeman to the ranch. The transportation company uses the name today as Karst Stage.

thumbnail_20190420_161659.jpg

Karst Stage started out as transportation fort a dude ranch, Karst Camp (Ranch) which was located about 15 miles south of where I live. They furnish shuttle service from the airport to hotels in the area and to the Big Sky ski resort in Big Sky, MT, a few miles south of the old camp location and have a fleet of coaches that are used to take people to different venues around the state.
petenellkarstlg.jpgminifeat.jpgLocalevents.jpg

An interesting item of local history in the area.

Lousy weather so I guess I'll head down to the train room again.

Later.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone and Happy Easter....overcast this morning and rain later tomorrow.

Home from the cabin and it was a perfect day with temps in the high 60's all day. Hung a light fixture in the dining room, but the connecting wiring is terrible. The previous owner used #12 instead of #14 wire from the circuit box to a small J Box between rafters that are six inches apart and that makes it had to work with the J Box and wiring. Next week I'll start from scratch and use the proper box and make do with the heavier wire.

We when to where the Mrs. convertible is stored near the cabin and the vehicle started after six months in storage!

Today, I plan on cleaning the points on several turnouts and see if I can remove the plow on my SOO GP38-2 and relocate the MU hoses in front of the plow the way they should be located. I'll use the Dremel and a small cutting wheel and grind down the plow's mounting tabs that were cemented to the locomotive. The locomotive came that way from the factory.

No other projects in mind other than a small area that needs to be landscape. I forgot to get a Mac's plastic cup full of some gravel from the parking lot where the car is stored for use on the layout. The gravel makes perfect landscape material and the larger stones match the ones made from plaster molds.

Sherrel: Just one question...are those switches in your photo power routing and DCC friendly?

That's all to report for now.....

Greg

#################

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

The smaller rocks in the photos above are from the driveway where we store the convertible. -Greg

Last edited:
Reporting back....model railroading day shorten due to the request to drive with the Mrs. to Menards for 25 bags of mulch. Pickups come in handy.
Found a lawn and garden battery that I purchased last year and it sat in the garage since then becasue I forgot I had brought it. I wonder if it will be okay after charging?

I did clean several turnouts, their points and all the rail heads with a Bright Boy and wow were the points and rails dirty! I ran a switcher thought these sections and the locomotive ran very smooth. I'll check others that are not well used and clean as required.

I installed a lamp post near the old freight house and wired it to the lighting circuit. Lighting brings a layout to life and I keep adding more lighting.

Tomorrow spread the mulch, charge the L&G battery and then model railroading.

Thanks Garry for nice comment.

Greg

Last edited:
Good evening. It's 64 and mostly clear. Earlier, I made the unpleasant discovery that my wife's tablet has a problem with the power switch. Since it's less than a year old, it's still covered by warranty. I called their tech support, and after a few diagnostic tests, it was determined the power button was bad. I made an appointment for it to be checked over tomorrow evening, with probably replacement. It's pretty sad that a several hundred dollar piece of electronics will have to be replaced because a 20 cent switch is not working.

Good morning. It's sunny and 43. I'm heading to the i-store after work to get my wife's tablet replaced. I wonder what excuse and reason, if any, they'll give me for refusing to honor the warranty. If it looks like I'm a little cynical, it's probably because I am...

Good morning, y'all. 50° and sunny, with a 50% chance of scattered showers sometime today...

Terry: Good luck at the i - store this evening. Prediction, first, they will make you wait at least an hour after your scheduled appointment. Then, tell you, you don't have an appointment, then, they will tell you the switch failed due to user abuse, and that it is not covered by warranty. If they cannot convince you they are right on either count, and cannot wear you down, they will probably resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

Today, I absolutely need to cut my lawn, as the single application Scotts fertilizer actually worked when mixed with several rain events. My family heads back to New York State this morning and I will take care of the lawn after they depart. I purchased a second dehumidifier for the basement, and between the two, they are holding humidity at 35% to 40%. Since the end of the heating season, and prior to the cooling season, this is especially critical for the train room and storage areas.

Chet, Greg and Garry: Thanks for sharing the great photos of your layouts and the real thing y'all modeled.

Still missing Louis. It is baseball season and between work, coaching and home ownership chores, his time is limited. Hope his plan to pace himself is working. His Oriole Birds have become the foundation team for the AL East, building a platform the other teams can build upon. :rolleyes:

Boris

Good Morning all and happy belated Easter.

Just coffee and one of those HUGE fluffy cinnamon rolls this morning.

Spent several minutes catching up on events over the weekend and liked several of the photos.

Grabbed a load of pine mulch from the limb yard at the city I work for as my town would rather haul the limbs to the county landfill. The wife thought it looked a bit rough for front beds, so the blueberries got 2+ inches of needed mulch. I mowed and trimmed the yard then went to Walmart and got 20 bags of cypress mulch for the front beds. And yes trucks, (even 1/4 ton Chebbies) are very handy at times. Saturday, I finished the yard work, fixed the back gate and the went to town with wife. We had the kids over on Saturday as a couple of them had to work yesterday. Got several hours of layout time and got several this accomplished. I'll put those in my other threads.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 64°. Looks like another nice but windy day today, sort of a repeat of yesterday. Flo, make it a breakfast burrito and some grape juice. Survived the family Easter egg hunt and feast yesterday. Found out from one of my brothers that I am not alone in not being able to remember even knowing the names of all of the third generation kids (all 18 of them), except my own grandkids.
I arrived early and got to spend some time with him in his layout room (a dedicated room above his shop), while a couple of his grandkids ran some trains. He expressed his desire to tear the whole thing out and rebuild using the original plan that I gave him, which was unfortunately after he was almost complete with this one. I didn't know that he had started building at the time. While this one works, he realizes that it's boring to him now. He has a yard and two industries on his U-shaped island, and uses the yard mostly to display stuff. He cannot use his Big Boy steamer since most of the layout (built exclusively with sectional track) has 18" curves with a few 15" in tight areas of the main line! He also mistakenly lined his ties up with the plywood edge (gasp) and there isn't enough clearance to add guardrails. He now realizes that an around the walls plan could resolve many of his issues. We all discovered this to some extent with our first layouts.

Wow! Thanks for all of the likes and comments for yesterday's post; Chuck, Tom, Sherrel, Mike, Garry, Chet, Phil, Jim and Patrick.

Got home and only spent a little time in the train shed. Got a couple of pictures of the completed scene that I have been working on. I actually still need to add some parking stripes in one parking area, and I will most likely revisit in a week or so and add additional figures and vehicles.

04-22-19 003.JPG

From the right, the blue structure is a small wood products manufacturer and the building is made from PikeStuff components from kits that I bought just for parts. Next to it is Federal Cold Storage, a Walther's kit that began as Brook Hill Dairy or something similar. In front is Magees Tire Repair, a "beginner's" laser-cut wood kit from Bar Mills.
04-22-19 004.JPG

On the right is Acme Chemical, an agricultural chemical distributor and is a very old, slightly modified Magnuson resin kit called "V. F. Transfer Service". On the left is Loy Distributing, a beer distributor. The brick portion is made from DPM modular walls and the "newer" steel structure is from an long-forgotten company. It represents a replacement building for the portion of the original that burned down years before.
I also intend to add some detail inside that open dock door over on the left of the beer distributor.
04-22-19 005.JPG

Karl - You're trapped now with the living room remodel.
Chet - Interesting historical review and nice coach model.
Greg - The man who wired my house used a lot of #10 wire that was leftover (purloined) from a commercial job that he was working on at the time. It might have some bearing on why he moved out and went back to Oklahoma and sold us the house (cheap) only six months after he almost completed it. We had to paint a few rooms and install additional kitchen cabinets after we moved in. The #10 is rather difficult to work on in those tiny boxes!
Garry - Very nice scene. I really like how well you blend backdrops into the layout.
Terry - Good luck. You don't seem to have any luck at all with computers.

Today is Earth Day. Do your part and plant something, clean something up or just enjoy the day outdoors. I see that some of you applied mulch over the weekend.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Good morning all, we had a nice sunny Easter in the upper 60"s and now the rain has moved in and it came down heavy for a while.

Willie-- nice photos

Chet-- love the bus

Garry-- like your scenes as well

Greg-- I like the box car

Patrick--glad you got your 0-6-0 running

All-- glad to hear from you this morning.

I finished assembling a couple more freight cars and will begin on the AMB caboose maybe this week.

Have this photo to share of part of the old layout:

GML transformer 025.JPG

more later, Dave

Good morning everyone. 72 and mostly cloudy out there. Hey, Flo - - a big cup of coffee and a cinnamon doughnut, please.

Well, the long weekend of great weather made outdoor work palatable. Mowed the entire "estate" (almost 2 acres) on our ZTR, and did some other lawn-related work. Had the kids and grandkids over Sunday for dinner with the usual hiding of easter eggs outside for the littlest one. She loves to swing in the hammock and on the rope out there.

Received that Athearn Genesis F3A locomotive I had hoped would match the speed of my other F3A from Genesis - - nope, not even close. In fact, the new engine is the fastest of all my engines - - starts at the lowest setting on the throttle control. Closest engine to it is my BLI diesel, so maybe I can run them at opposite sides of the layout and hope they don't run into each other :rolleyes:

I had accumulated about 15 freight cars on my workbench, all of them with problems uncoupling when running in a consist. Mostly because their couplers were too high or too low. Over the weekend I got 10 of them back on the track by changing or adjusting the couplers and in some cases the trucks.

Also made some progress on improving one of the business structures in the main town. Will post photos later this week.

Have a good day everyone.

Howdy ....

Greg, Boris, WIllie, and Dave ..... Thanks for the thoughtful comments on my photos.

Willie .... Great looking industrial buildings along with surrounding scenery.

Johnny .... I am surprised your Genesis locomotives don't have the same speed.

Dave .... I really like your photo from your old layout because it reminds me of some of the things I waa trying to do years ago when I had my 1900 era layout. ..

I did save some buildings from my old layout, and placed them on my current layout. .... These buildings are now in a background. I made them from woodland scenics kits, and see Dave also had them on his old layout.

41225612304_d8ab231c84_k.jpg

They are above the retaining wall in the right side of this photo. Now being in the background, I did not include much scenery next to them.

35931967464_b8da0ae836_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.......partly sunny and rain maybe later. Nice mild temperatures for Spring.

First plans are to help the Mrs. spread mulch...a fun project,t but should go fast. Need to charge the battery for the tractor at the cabin. It's a 14.5 HP, 43 inch deck that I use just to blow and cut up the oak leaves in te spring and some minor mowing projects. I use more like a vehicle than a lawn tool.

Second after lunch I'll head downstairs to the train room. Time to start the dehumidifier for the season. After seeing everyone's DPM or similar buildings I need to get a kit or two to construct even with limited space on the layout. Woodland Scenics has good video on all the steps to build a DPM kit from start to finish.

Willie: There is some real strange wiring an building project done in the cabin and I need to make a list of things that I need to correct starting with the electrical wiring.

Checked on Brass locomotives on E Bay and Brass prices seem to lower than what I thought they would be...!

Not much to report this morning....late night watching History channel.

That's all....

Greg

####################################

Last edited:
Happy Day After Happy Easter Egg Day!
A glorious day out - Weather Underground says 70 for a high today and Local Guy says 72. Winds are calm and not a speck of cloud anywhere.
Made some progress on the garage - boy, I had no idea how bad it really was! For the last three years we just more or less used it for a junk depository with a few pathways. Only one catch - I know when I start throwing away pieces of wood - that I will need a few of the ones I am throwing away! I do have a couple projects that I wanted to build and have compiled the lumber aready - so I need to watch what I pitch in the dumpster.
Spousal Unit (for the moment) does not want to ditch the Pacifica, and has suggested that we keep it and ditch the P/U!
She has a point, but I have had a P/U ever since I purchased my first home in 1965. I guess my small truck can hardly be called a truck compaired to the monster, 4 feet off the ground, 4 door, huge things that try to run me over all the time, but I can park it in most places they cannot - and I don't need a ladder to get into it! Going to have three cars for a while it seems.
Thing is - I mostly can put anything I need to haul in the back of the Pacifica - except maybe a fridge?

We had a nice quite dinner at the MIL's home last evening with 6 of us in attendence + 1 G-son. We had a reverse Easter Egg Hunt with the G-Son hidding the eggs and us looking for them .. hard to do as it was starting to get dark at the time. I won by finding the first egg, the wife came in last!

OK, Everyone - Not going to try and comment on each and every photo, but you guys really have outdone the modeling industry with the last couple days except Johnny - who is always going to post photos "later", LOL

OK, Coffee Cup has been empty for a while - LATER!

Hiya gang!
For some unknown reason, I've stopped again getting email notifications when someone posts here. It worked for the 1st 2 weeks of the month, then stopped again.
Gary, Greg, Toot & Dave, nice pics today!

Success, I managed to finish the lawn and clean up before the rain began. First cut is always a PIA, as different parts of the yard require cutting at different blade heights.

By coming back to make the above comment, I had the opportunity to see Willie's progress photos, as well as Dave's and Garry"s fine work.

More first round NHL action tonight, the Caps at the Canes from Raleigh NC. I am really enjoying this year's playoffs, so far. Eating in to my layout time though.

Boris

Good morning. Checking in late. 34 degrees to start of the day with clear skies. Got out of the house early and headed to the tire ship to replace my winter tires with the summer tires. Nice and quiet now and I should gain a mile and a half to two miles a gallon.

Johnny, Joe and Greg - No lawn work yet here, but my son did get the plow on the tractor removed and the mowing deck mounted. Some of th grass in front of the house on the south side does need cutting, but I would like to chop up what leaves are left over from fall. With the rail we have had over the weekend and warm temps forecast, the grass will be taking off real soon. That first cutting can be a pain. I have had instances in th epast that rain kept me from mowing and by the time I finally had a chance to mow, I had a hay field instead of a lawn. One year I borrowed and old buck rake from the neighbor and had my son fiding on it so I could clean up the grass cuttings.

Johnny - Sorry to hear that the Genisis F-7 isn't close the the F-3. I imagine that you will keep searching.

Garry - Nice photos as usual.

Karl - I also haven't been getting all of the forum updated on my phone either. I do get a few, very few.

Willie - Again, some nice photos. Really enjoy seeing your work.

Here are some photo I took last week when running some of my steamers. This one is probably my favorite. It is a brass Santa Fe that I painted for my railroad. One sweet running jewel. It left the roundhouse, took on water, hooked up to its train and headed out onto the main line where I let it run for an hour. When done, it went into the roundhouse at the other end of the line.

thumbnail_20190419_101733.jpgthumbnail_20190419_102017.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103109.jpg

thumbnail_20190419_103208.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103305.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103410.jpg

thumbnail_20190419_103714.jpg thumbnail_20190419_103841.jpg thumbnail_20190419_103948.jpg

thumbnail_20190419_105827.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Sherrel says: "except Johnny - who is always going to post photos "later", LOL"
Okay, Sherrel-not-Shirley - - I post once in a while, but with a smallish layout, I don't have as much stuff to photograph as some of you more advanced builders.

Chet says: "Sorry to hear that the Genisis F-7 isn't close the the F-3. I imagine that you will keep searching."
Chet, yeah, I'll keep searching, but right now I've got to save up some money after spending $129 (including shipping) for that one I got on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back