Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the mulching job and I'm getting too old for that type of projects. I rather be building bench work in the basement.

Raincoat2: I did Excel Spreadsheets for all my locomotives and started one for my rolling stock. I left a comment area for each item so I could keep a maintenance recorded of all the equipment. I'll do several cars at a time (10) and check the couplers, the coupler height, the trucks and make a note of what I did for each piece of rolling stock. This is a good time to replace plastic wheels with metal wheel sets.

It's easy with excel to repeat information in the various cells so it cuts own on the amount of time needed to do the entries. So if the procedure was the same for each car, then a simple key stroke with add this information for each piece of stock. The worst part was physically doing the inventory of the rolling stock and manually writing it down to later enter into the spread sheet.

It's surprising what you find when you start checking the rolling stock.

My next small future project is making Lilly pads for two of the wet areas on the layout. I watched Gerry Leone make a bunch of pads in a video and the process is simple. Painted paper and a paper punch to make the pads and then cut the "V" notch in each leaf and apply the pads to the "water" using white glue. Everyone likes Lilly pads. He also made some cat tails.

I like Gerry Leone's matter of fact way he does projects in his videos.

Yesterday, I started cleaning up the terminal blocks on the layout's wiring by changing the way I use spade terminal connectors with two wires per connctor and now attaching two wires to a connector rather than one wire. This makes for a cleaner look to the terminals and more wires can be added to each position on the terminal block. I use telephone spade connectors for the hook up wire and the telephone wiring I use for the lighting.

I know a model railroader who was a telephone field tech and his layout and locomotive decoder wiring was perfect. No bird's nests and everything was labeled.

Later.....

Greg

Last edited:
Let me toss a pic out there!
20151025_215846 (1).jpg

WM had 4 Alco FA's, # 301-304. Here they are all !

What kinda trash talk is that, KARL? I'll have you know that I have the best that Windows 95 has to offer!
BTW - That's a very nice shot of your layout too!

JOHNNY -- The FEW photos that you have blessed us with were top notch and gave a good idea of more 1st class work - just so few and far in between ... LOL LOL :)

Johnny. ... If the newer engine is DCC and used, the previous owner may have changed the decoder settings. If so, you can reset the CV’s to original factory defaults. ... Otherwise, you may contact Athearn and ask them want to do.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then started running locos that don't get run much. I found that one of my previous excellent running Genesis FP7A sounds like it has a possible electrical discharge. It's hard to describe, but it's not shorting or arcing, and it looks like there is a intermittent power issue (not shorting) on the TT bridge. Good times.

Dave- Nice looking scene.

Chuck- Another amazing mess of tracks.

Willie- That area would be perfect for a engine servicing yard or maybe a container yard. What's the radius of the turn? Really nice looking buildings.

Chet- Interesting history and neat looking bus although it looks like it had more suitcase room than seats for people.

Greg- Nice scene.

Garry- Nice looking bus and layout scene.

Karl- Very nice train and layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

Karl, Boris, Chet, and Curt ..... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

Chet .... That is a great series of photos you posted.

Karl .... Your WM Alcos look fantastic.

Cheers !

Good evening.
I’m at the store with the picture of a piece of fruit on the front...
Me and a few hundred of my new closest friends.

Hello everyone!
Chet, Willie, Dave, Garry, Karl, Chuck and I probably missed someone. All of your photos are excellent. Thanks for
posting them!

I haven't been in the coffee shop for a while, but have been keeping tabs with my phone. I find it difficult to post with that little communication gizmo. I bought a stylus to make posting easier and had it for 2 days. It found the hole in my jeans pocket . . . gone! :rolleyes::(
The little spare time that I have is spent working on my layout. Here's a couple of photos.

Everyone have a nice day!

VEaM7gd.jpg

Xqhq8c6.jpg

I am home.
Believe it or not, it was surprisingly painless.
Yes, it's broken.
Here is a new replacement.
Sorry you had a problem.
Have a good day.
Come see us again.

Obviously you must have had an employee person who did not know you? :rolleyes:

Morning all,

2 over hard, bacon, hash browns and hotcakes this morning. Oh and don't forget the coffee. Thanks Flo.

Nothing new on the trains yesterday. Before I got home last evening, the grandson went downstairs to see what I did over the weekend and came back upstairs as there was, in his words "a HUGE spider!". I told him I keep them around just for him. Never did get downstairs to see what was what, but I may need to get the pest control company out to spray for them again.

Max: Your layout looks like mine...Still being laid out and tools all over.

Work is calling so can I get the breakfast to go???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back