Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 of my favorite warnings
FB_IMG_1549135741155.jpg

High 60s today, with thin clouds that still allow shadows. We seem to have hit that point where warm days outnumber cold, even though there's still fluctuation. Rain is due later tonight.

Went to the zoo yesterday, and now I can't find my wallet.

I'm sitting out on the porch, and I think there's a skunk nearby. I don't mind skunks, they keep the neighborhood dogs from shitting on the lawn. I remember one night, I was sitting out in the carport watching a thundersorm. Looked down to see a small skunk sitting right next to my bare foot. We just sat there together until the storm let up and he wandered off.

Finished my latest Lego build a couple of days ago, Disney's Steamboat Willey. I think I know why I like Legos: I like to build things as much as the rest of you, but I need larger pieces, hence Lego bricks.View attachment 35813View attachment 35814
Now standard on many Chevrolet models, when the key is shut off, a reminder to check the rear seats comes on the dash display.
WHY DO WE NEED THIS!
Are people that stupid and if so, why are we letting them drive or even reproduce???

Where the heck is Louis?
I heard from Louis today and in his words "I developed a sever kidney infection, but I have turned the tide " He gave me his blessing to relate this to everyone, and hopes to return to the Coffee Shop soon.
Please continue to send thoughts and prayers his way.

I hope the big lug feels better soon.

Now standard on many Chevrolet models, when the key is shut off, a reminder to check the rear seats comes on the dash display.
WHY DO WE NEED THIS!
Are people that stupid and if so, why are we letting them drive or even reproduce???
Yeah! I read about that this morning. Agree on reproduction...

JUSTIN-RE-the ad on "E" "THERE"S A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE !> P.T. BARNUM.

Prayers and Blessings to all,
Phil

Where the heck is Louis?
I heard from Louis today and in his words "I developed a sever kidney infection, but I have turned the tide " He gave me his blessing to relate this to everyone, and hopes to return to the Coffee Shop soon.
Please continue to send thoughts and prayers his way.

Willie .... Thanks for checking on Louis .

Louis ... Prayers for a fast recovery.

Morning, 33 and raining. I guess I'll stick with the weather! Anything else tends to get me in trouble!

Good morning fellers. My daughter went back to school again today. First day back since her accident. She's healed very nicely all things considered. Still have to take the kid out of her though and of course had to send a note to her teacher letting her know what my daughter can and can't do. Anyways on to trains. Did some tidying up on the layout yesterday. Placed my structures in different ways and tried to see how I'm going to make it all fit. It's been a year now since I've laid my track and I have not added any scenery at all. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it all fit. This is that one time where putting my yard trackage towards the outside of the layout rather than the inside is biting me on the butt. It's the narrow curve that is giving me fits right now. Not running trains on it but the scenery aspect. I've already been contemplating taking up the yard tracks and the tighter radius curve. There have been some noticeable short comings I didn't see initially when I was doing the track work. These shortcomings have come and hit me in the face! I suppose I'll figure it all out sooner or later as time permits. That's where I stand for now. I guess I'll keep running trains until I feel up to making something happen.

Good Morning All. 59° and partly cloudy here. Busy day yesterday after church, not only did we visit the Kroger store, but made a trip to Dollar General, Home Depot, and four other stops! Lunch and a nap followed. However since it drizzled all day, I went straight to the train shed later, then it cleared up and I was able to grill burgers for supper.
OK Flo, a bear claw and glass of orange juice. I don't do coffee!
Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Chet, Phil, Joe, Jim, Garry, Sherrel.

Took advantage of the extra time in the train shed and added some more scenic items to the current scenery project. A little ground foam here, a little there, and spent an hour adding weeds. Moved over to the workbench while all of that was drying and added a sign to the wood kit that I had earlier painted.
Structure to the right is intentionally painted a different shade as might be seen on an addition to the original structure.
04-07-19 007.JPG

04-07-19 008.JPG

The effect that I am trying to achieve is an aged sign painted on the wall. After drying, I'll sand it thinner in a few more spots so the underlying wood color shows through and then weather it with several shades of weathering powder.

Dave - I find that bracing laser-cut wood structures in the opposite direction of the wood grain, makes assembly easier and eliminates any and all warping. Bar Mills supplies five or six pieces of 5/16" stripwood in every kit for that, although they don't explicitly show every instance where it would be helpful. I tend to add more especially since I use acrylic paint for most things. Despite priming everything ahead of time, I have seen unbraced parts warp from the paint. For wood, I just use Elmer's white glue. Easier to correct if something slips or I make a mistake.
Funny that you mention the OSHA railing. I had OSHA training for over thirty years including 30 hour certification (twice). I still use their specifications when I scratchbuild hand-railings, steps, ladders, etc or add mandated safety features to many structures.
Joe - I hear you on the photo editing. I can crop or change size, but haven't mastered removing unwanted objects. Probably could if I wanted (or had time) to sit down for a couple of hours and experiment. But like many other things on the computer, after the desired results are reached, I probably won't remember how I got there.:confused:
Greg -
The second phased of stringing utility pole wiring has been completed
Pictures? My experiment stringing real .015" metallic wire was an almost complete failure. The look was very realistic but I couldn't get the kinkiness out of the wires. I have a spool of EZ Line that I will use on them when I revisit that project. I actually drilled .020" holes in all of the insulators and I need to remove the AC glue and unstring what I did. Or I could just drill the six insulators on six new poles.
You posted about living near rail lines. I used to work about a mile from an intersection of three rail lines. At lunch in the 70's, I would go and park in a gravel lot about 150' away and watch UP on their north/south secondary line (Dallas/Denton), Frisco (SLSF) on SW/NE main line (Dallas/Sherman), and the Cotton Belt (SSW) on their east/west (Dallas/Ft Worth) connector line. Lots of traffic back then. SSW also had a freight yard to the east and they regularly blocked the junction drilling that yard. All of this trackage still exists today, BNSF operates about thirty trains a day through there and DGNO either owns or leases the rest, which is all still active.
Beady - How about a picture or two of the Lego structures? My 35+yo nephew has over 1000 Lego sets and has 1/3 of a three car garage devoted to them.

Two signs that spring is actually here on the SFW estate. The hummingbirds have returned to use the feeders, and it's still daylight when I go to bed! Still waiting on the third sign when the snakes come out of dormancy.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful week.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 58 and mostly sunny.

I'm batching it again for a few days while my wife is back up in Zion, IL, at the CTCA hospital there for her follow-up checkup.

Great weekend. Had most of the family over for Saturday lunch. Was able to run trains for the inlaws who were here from NY. Worked outside much of yesterday after taking my wife to the airport. Will take tomorrow off work and spend the day outside doing spring chores.

MBKlein order arrived Saturday. Mostly scenery. Did some painting last night on small items such as stumps and wheelbarrows.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

I don't have weekend access to the computer (ok I abuse the privilege at work, but no one says anything to the guy who monitors the process). I was here until 1:00 am Saturday morning. Then was up at 6:00 a to get stuff done for the family get together that happened yesterday.

Nothing done with the trains over the weekend, but did get the yard mowed Saturday before the rain and yesterday was just beautiful. Today is supposed to be likewise (sunny and 82).

Good morning. 37 degrees and light rain.

Sure hope that Louis id getting better.

Joe - No flowers coming up here yet, but with temps having been in the low 60's for the past few days, most of the snow is gone and the grass in front of the house is attempting to turn green.

Greg - Like the MR&T locomotive.

Justin - Very glad to hear that you daughter is on the mend. That is some real good news.

Tom
- Excellent photo of the CSX power. Thumb up.gif

Dave -
Like the NP geep in the photo. Is the CNW unit an Alco?

Ran some train yesterday after the NASCAR race. While looking for something, I finally came across some track bumpers from Walthers that I was getting ready to reorder because I couldn't find them. I still have my train stuff scattered about the house. Still haven't gotten everything together after all of the remodeling work we did a few years ago. I'll have to do something about that. Put it on the procrastination list.

Here are a few more mini scenes.

Here are some folks heading to the cafe for coffee in their jalopy.

thumbnail_20190406_125452.jpg

Some people fishing along the river.

thumbnail_20190405_104222.jpg

People enjoying a sunny afternoon in the park.

thumbnail_20190405_093326.jpg

Finally managed to get my britches buttoned for the first time since the surgery. Plan on meeting some friends for lunch after physical therapy this morning. Progress is slow, but it is progress.

Later

Good morning, 42 headed for 66 and sun! We have to enjoy today because snow forecast for later this week.

I will get a refill of coffee, if you please....

Justin-- I tore out tons of scenery and redid several areas in the life of my last layout.

Willie-- I was joking about OSHA, since they did not come into existence until after my era (post war to 62). I seem to do about 4 hours of safety training each weak, as we work in refineries, steel mills, and construction sites on a daily basis. Most plants have a plant wide tailored safety requirement as well as OSHA 10. I haven't had to do OSHA 30.

Johnny-- I am batching it as well. My wife is driving up to Bemidji for a couple days to help look after her sister, who recently suffered a stroke.

Chet--both units in the photo are GP-18's

Layout photo of the day

_MG_5579.jpg

This is a GP-18 pulling out of the gravel bin

more later, Dave

Good morning ....

Louis .... I'm glad "It's alive" ... Get well soon.

Johnny ... Prayers for Dena who is now at the cancer treatment center.

Willie ... Nice work so far with your buildings.

Chet ... I enjoy seeing your mini scenes. I bet they were fun to put together. ... I hope your shoulder is improving.

Dave.... Nice shot of CNW 1779.

Karl .... Careful... Some guys might touch your trains in order to be treated by that nurse. LOL

CSX photos .... I'll include one I have posted before. Lunch time in LaGrange, KY. I took the photo.

35907384084_10487f6c96_b.jpg

Here is another CSX picture. I took this one maybe 20 years ago in Hopkinsville, KY. ..... It has a GP40 mated with a road slug made from a GP30.

36625784551_bed4549d36_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back