Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, 41 and sunny. Headed for 53. Snow supposed to hold off till tomorrow evening.

About my wife's sister, she likes to talk. Even after the stroke, she is wearing all the staff out because she talks incessantly. I remember the first few times I saw her she thought I was really quiet, the problem is there wasn't a space to get a word in.

The stroke affected her memory more than anything, it is more selective than ever.

I finished the 4-4-0 last evening. You can see the photos on my thread if you like. With Beth out of the house there are no distractions here, except the cat.

Louis-- I am hoping you start feeling like your old self

Garry--you don't miss anything! There should be an award for that. Always excellent photos, too

Willie--you should be awarded for creating the most stuff

Curt- as faithful as can be

Chet-- must be busy this morning, I hope he is feeling ok

Boris, Terry, Chooch; great to hear from you, and I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Layout photo of the day:

_MG_5616.jpg

A different view of Grizzly Flats. One of my GP-18's ( I have 2 CNW and 1 NP)

more later, Dave

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and its the calm before the big storm that will hit Wednesday and Thursday It looks like mainly rain for us and snow if any about 2-3 inches. The bad thing is at the cabin last Sunday there was still a foot of snow on the ground in the woods and the snow piles still large where no direct sun hits them. This late storm will postpone our cabin cleaning even longer into Spring.

Last Spring we had snow on one side of the cabin and a week later the snow was gone and daylillies pushing up, a nice green.

Yesterday, I cut back to 12 inches a large bush and I used a hand held pruning saw chain. A bit heavy tool for an old guy that's out of shape. But, I did it. Some bushes are starting to leaf out and the daffs are blooming in areas.

Dave:
If I remember correctly the BNSF runs on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River but I can't remember which road is on the west side of the river. We would follow on our Gold Wing motorcycle the trains down the River Road and rail fan at the locks. I like the river town on the Iowa side with the Bar & Grill next to the railroad tracks. Passing trains would shake the building. We would make that a day trip traveling across Wisconsin and returning home after a long lunch.

Today for something different, I have two NIB, Atlas Classic C&NW RS-1's and I may just install LED headlites and DCC in at least one of them. I have the DCC boards and LED's for years. These loco's have never been out of the box.

I do want to take some photographs of the layout.

That's about it for now...best wishes to all.

Greg

################################

Morning all,

Leaving work early today to watch a sick grand daughter. Her dad needs to go in and I had to be at the office this morning.

Always falls on grandpa as he has more time available than everyone else (6+ weeks of vacation and personal time). Still have 6+ weeks of sick time as I really don't use that either.

Patrick: If I remember correctly, the Family and Medical Leave Act allows family members to use sick time to care for ill family members.

Greg

Good morning. 38 with rain to start off the day. The rain sure is helping to melt down the snow banks along the driveway where they are shaded by the trees. Time to take off the plow and mount the mowing deck as the grass is starting to turn green. I'll have to get my son to do that for me.

Physical therapy went quite well yesterday although i did pay the price. Hard to get much sleep. The therapist couldn't believe how much range of motion I had so shortly after the surgery. Way ahead of what she expected. Met my buddy John from out Friday night bowling team for lunch. It was nice to finally get out of the house for a while.

Dave
- Some excellent photos again. Like the CNW unit and the town scene. The power lines really look good. Greg has also been putting them in. I would like to add them to my layout, but with so many manual turnout throws, I am sure that I would ruin them.

Karl -
Really line the CSX units. Nice work! Nice photo.

Terry -
Looks like you may need a boat from the photo.

Joe - 80 degrees. Send some of that warmth out here.

Louis
- Nice to see you in here. Hope you recover quickly.

Willie - Really like the diner. that is some nice work. Well done. Lounge looks like a nice place to have a cold one.

Here are a few more mini scenes from around the layout.

Here's Tschache Oil with a mechanic fixing the old fat fender Ford pickup.

thumbnail_20190405_095812.jpg

Here's someone checking out the produce at the market.

thumbnail_20190405_101819.jpg

Across the street is the candy shop and barber shop.

thumbnail_20190405_101647.jpg

Still hurting a but from PT yesterday. Think a visit top the train room will help distract me from the pain.

Later

The Peter Principle even applies to sports!
Heck, for 23 million dollars a year I'll swing a bat. I may not hit anything but I'll swing it!!
Isn't he paid a guaranteed 23 million a year?

Karl, Greg & Willie: The player in question was one of the top home run hitters in MLB just a few years ago. Now, he can't buy a hit to save his life. That's what happens when players get huge long term no cut contracts. The dummy is the person who signed him. Lots of that in sports.

80 degrees. Send some of that warmth out here.

Chet: All that warmth got up and left. It was 70° at midnight, and has been 46° continuously since daybreak. Spring in Jersey!

Chet, Dave and Willie: Thanks for sharing the photos.

Boris

Dave: [/B]If I remember correctly the BNSF runs on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River but I can't remember which road is on the west side of the river. We would follow on our Gold Wing motorcycle the trains down the River Road and rail fan at the locks. I like the river town on the Iowa side with the Bar & Grill next to the railroad tracks. Passing trains would shake the building. We would make that a day trip traveling across Wisconsin and returning home after a long lunch.

Greg

################################

Hi Greg, not sure which train runs where down there. I know up around the cities what is going on somewhat, and north of us it is the BNSF to duluth and superior.

Part of the old Northern Pacific is still in use, st. paul to hugo, mn. The trains I see there are Minnesota Commercial. They have some really relic locomotives at times running.

Hi
Chet, nice scenes as usual, I see we have the same Woodland Scenics gas station. I adorned mine with Philips 66 stuff.

Afternoon All,

Helped the wife with a small cleaning project then finished the track cleaning. I discovered a PECO turnout I have at the coal mine that closes properly for the divergent route but not straight through (so I need to fix that). I'm also having a intermittent issue with the TT bridge turning. :( Thursday I'm going to try to meet up with Phil and Jon. Hopefully the road won't be shut down.

Joe- That's funny about NS, but also pretty sad about their personnel office.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Greg- I have one of their Black box RS1's. I love the thing, it's a beast!

Chet- Nice layout scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I saw this video or one like it several years ago and made several of these trees. They are very realistic looking.

Dave
It has definitely given me an idea going forward. I have no shortage of woods to turn to to get some. And the finished product looks just the the wooded areas here. It only makes sense to do it that way.

Howdy ... I had a full day . Just checking in here on the I-Phone .

Karl ... I like your CSX GP40 and road slug.

Willie .. I like the diner and the lounge.

Chet .. the fuel oil distributor is a very nice industry, and the downtown scenes are great.

Curt... I have a CMX car too and it does a good job. Nice scene and I like the GP7’s.

Dave .., Grizzly Flats looks good in that photo.

Have a nice night, everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back