Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all. 55° and sunny. Looks like a sunny Sunday for a change.

I have a large clump of Daffodils in the lawn, which have been blooming for almost two weeks, meanwhile numerous other Daffodils located in flower beds are just now developing buds. The ones blooming do not last as long, and don't look as good as the ones in the lawn. The bulbs in the beds were fertilized with bone meal, which is recommended for bulbs. The ones in the lawn get Scotts lawn fertilizer. Conclusion lawn fertilizer is better for bulbs, than bulb fertilizer...Go figure...

Boris

Willie:

First of all, I print those background structures on 65# paper which is quite heavy, and then I use double-sided tape to hold them in position. I also spray them with Dull Coat first to reduce any issues with fading. Haven't tried foam board yet although I have thought about it. I have several structures like the one that you posted already in other areas. Some have active loading/unloading tracks serving them.

I plan on using a lot of structures similar to the one I posted, but with loading doors or platforms. What I'm planning on using, is screen capture photos from Google Street view, to show depth, and fill in the separation made by cross streets. Unfortunately, some contemporary photos contain contemporary items that really don't fit well with the 1960s, and I'm not that good at photo editing.

A life lesson; my mother always told me that if you didn't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.
Great advice for all.

Dave:

The dead tree just behind 1774 is part of a root of a shrub dried and turned upside down.

The dead tree is quite convincing. Great idea.

The grizzly is in this one too

That grizzly does get around! ;)

Boris

Good morning .... Catching up on your posts.

Curt, Dave, Chet, and any I missed thanks for commenting on my photo.

Dave ... I like your scene with the "Pig Palace" car. Also, I like the photo with GP's.

Curt ... Your coal trestle looks great.

Willie..... I like your photos with buildings and structures.

Chet .... The hobo camp, the house with details ,and the mechanics shop with details are all outstanding.

Greg ... Your industrial area looks great.

Boris ... Your DPM background building looks very nice.

Tom ... Your ditch looks real.

Justin .... CSX is downsizing apparently. They closed a car repair facility in Hopkinsville a couple of years ago.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody.

Good Morning Everyone.....partly sunny at times and rain is forecasted for later today.

The second phased of stringing utility pole wiring has been completed and its fun stringing lines when the lines convert on one single pole to change direction and then continue on down another line of poles. It gets confusing at times on which insulator should have a line attached. Then there's where lines go under other lines thats interesting. And, then there's the gluing of the lines to the insulators using quik setting AC. Stringing the lines is time consuming, but once you get into a rhythm you'll make progress.

One problem with the lines is that they are so invisible in certain areas that you forgot the lines are installed. They will stretch over 500% in length. As long the ulity poles are securely glued to the layout there's no danger of the lines breaking or the utility poles pulling out if you accidently get the lines into a piece of rolling stck that being rerailed or when manually track cleaning. The black lines blend into the scenery more than the lighter green lines.

The results are worth all the effort.

Yesterday, I pondered about starting Phase Three of the line stringing but decided not to start.

Justin: Is the CSX ripe for a take-over by either the CP or CN?

Thanks everyone for the comments on my industrial area photo. There's been some improvements to the area since the photograph was taken.

Boris: We have some daffs next to the house that appeared about a month ago and when they were up maybe four or five inches in height we got hit by the zero degree nightly temperatures. They survived and are now ready to bloom. The yellow foliage turned back to green as the weather warmed up. When I worked at a nursery/landscaping company during a slow sales period, I was assigned with another employee the job of using 20,000 daffs to naturalize a customer's wooded area. Fun at first then boring. I never did return to see them in bloom.

Here's a link to information about a former Milwaukee Road branch line that was called the "Bug Line" and ran from the northern part of Milwaukee to Merton, Wisconsin. After it stopped operations it later became a rec trail. I always lived near the Bug Line and I remember the slow freights that ran on the Line and the sound of the locomotives as they slowly approached a grade crossing. The brakeman would jump off the train to act as a flagman at the grade crossings. The Bug Line is within walking distance of my house.

http://slahs.org/history/railroad/bugline.htm

1554650947649.png

So much for history.

I'm lucky to have had the Milwaukee Road, SOO Line, Wisconsin Central and the C&NW all in my back yard and today the CP, CN, Wisconsin Southern and UP with active lines or trackage rights as with the case of the Wisconsin Southern. During winter at night I can hear locomotive horns from both the UP and CN even though they are several miles away.

That's all for today.

Later....

Greg

###########################

IMG_0376.JPG

A newer Milwaukee Racine & Troy locomotive that's becoming one of my favorite locomotives. -Greg

Last edited:
Sorry didn't know I was getting graded on grammar. I'll try to remember that if I ever post here again. Then you wonder why this forum has a lack of members and post. Keep up the good work you'll only have yourself to talk to soon.

I have sent an apology to Tom for my poor response to him! I will apologize; here, publically for my stupid reply!!

Tom: Pay them no mind...they mean nothing, they are nothing. Heck my signature has offended folks, and my grammar is deliberately atrocious at times, but who cares? Life's too short to worry about grammar...

Boris

AND I cannot spell diddly squat either - I'm sure that you guys all laugh at some of my feble attempts!

Your DPM background building looks very nice.

Thanks Garry.

Garry, Greg and Justin:

CSX is downsizing apparently. They closed a car repair facility in Hopkinsville a couple of years ago.
Is the CSX ripe for a take-over by either the CP or CN?

CSX
is not going broke or in danger of liquidation. They are not the reincarnation of the Penn Central. In fact, their stock hit a 52 week high a couple of days ago.

The problem with CSX is that they were never able to digest the different systems that make up CSX, nor did they even attempt to, with the exception of the truncation of the WM. They were excessively invested in support facilities in Coal Country, and like it or not, King Coal is Dead.

Since CSX management changed about a year ago (or more) they have been aggressive at rerouting traffic and closing redundant facilities, while marking low traffic lines for sale or abandonment. This is essentially what Conrail did in the 1980s.

As far as takeovers are concerned, if someone puts up enough money, someone will agree to be bought out. Railroad Acquisitions cost a lot of money and take time to wind theirnway through the regulatory process. An A & I involving CP or CN would require multi national regulatory approval. All that is predicated on shareholder approval.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone.....partly sunny at times and rain is forecasted for later today.

One problem with the lines is that they are so invisible in certain areas that you forgot the lines are installed. They will stretch over 500% in length. As long the ulity poles are securely glued to the layout there's no danger of the lines breaking or the utility poles pulling out if you accidently get the lines into a piece of rolling stck that being rerailed or when manually track cleaning. The black lines blend into the scenery more than the lighter green lines.

The results are worth all the effort.

Greg

Hi Greg,

My lines came white, I thought that would be the better color. However, I ended up painting them black because I thought they were more realistic that color.

You are right about the realism they add. I can't remember what brand I used, but they were a little like big rubber bands and a few times I snagged them and no damage was done. However I did do some restringing. From now on thew will go more in the background as much as possible.

Dave

Dave: The product I used is called EZ Line that I purchased from Berkshire Junction and I believe Model Train Stuff. It comes in spools and I attach it using Instant Super AC.

Greg

High 60s today, with thin clouds that still allow shadows. We seem to have hit that point where warm days outnumber cold, even though there's still fluctuation. Rain is due later tonight.

Went to the zoo yesterday, and now I can't find my wallet.

I'm sitting out on the porch, and I think there's a skunk nearby. I don't mind skunks, they keep the neighborhood dogs from shitting on the lawn. I remember one night, I was sitting out in the carport watching a thundersorm. Looked down to see a small skunk sitting right next to my bare foot. We just sat there together until the storm let up and he wandered off.

Finished my latest Lego build a couple of days ago, Disney's Steamboat Willey. I think I know why I like Legos: I like to build things as much as the rest of you, but I need larger pieces, hence Lego bricks.
FB_IMG_1554660095873.jpg
FB_IMG_1554661099347.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier and cleaned the pool a little bit go since the humidity is easier to take with the overcast. I did put my 3 new vehicles on the layout. Only have about 8-10 to go. Also made a trip to Lowes for a pool brush.

Tom- That is a really nice scene.

Justin- That's a shame about the jobs lost.

Dave- Neat 1:1 photo. You're job sounds like the same type one my youngest brother has in MD.

Garry- Thank you.

Greg- Nice 1:1 photo. I noticed that it looks like you have a slide control on the bottom of your control panel. What do you use that for? Inquiring minds would like to know!;)

I hope everyone has a good night.

Where the heck is Louis?
I heard from Louis today and in his words "I developed a sever kidney infection, but I have turned the tide " He gave me his blessing to relate this to everyone, and hopes to return to the Coffee Shop soon.
Please continue to send thoughts and prayers his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back