Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening All. Great trip to the Foley Railroad Museum and Model Train Exhibit earlier today. Many pictures.

IMG_2296.JPG

There are some real equipment on display outside.

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

Inside the caboose.
IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

More to come.

Sherrel, I can understand you not having a "home team", look at the brightside, your team could always be in the playoffs! I'm a Baltimore fan, first and foremost and I'm partial to the Washington teams, but I follow many other teams, in several sports. It's an easy choice for me, I was born, raised and God willing I will die in Baltimore, but like you I am a sports fan and I can enjoy watching almost any teams play.

My friend from Philadelphia wanted to buy me an Eagles (Eggles as he pronounces it) Super Bowl Jersey, I told him, "don't waste your money, I won't wear it". He asked my grandson as well, his reply "no thank you, I have a ravens Jersey", that's my boy!

I only buy Orioles and Ravens gear, although I do have a great Redskins winter jacket and sweatshirt I have had since before the Ravens came to town. I don't respect fans that jump on the champions band wagon! As George Allen said about Cowboys fans "they are nothing, but a bunch of front runners!"

I have an authentic Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts jersey. I'd like to have a Baltimore Bullets Jersey, but I can find an original in my size. I guess the name Bullets is politically incorrect. As far as that goes, I'm proud of the Redskins for not changing their name! I still follow the Wizards.

My interest in other teams began when I routed for the Cardinals in the 68 world series. It was the first World Series that I watched with the beginning of an understanding of the game. I liked the Cardinals in 1967 series, but I did not know what I was watching, I only liked the bird and I did not like the Red Sox. Bob Gibson will always be a legend to me. I became interested in the Redskins when Vince Lombardi was the head coach. When the Colts failed to make the playoffs in 72 it was an easy choice to follow the Redskins. The "Over the Hill Gang" were fun to watch! As a little boy I also liked the Lions. On our black and white TV the Lions looked like the Colts and they had a cool name. Back then football cards did not show team logos on the uniforms and the Lions even looked like the Colts to me on my football cards. I have always been a little color blind.

As I said, I like many teams, but there are a few I don't like, the by far Steelers I dislike the most and I don't like the Red Sox and Patriots to name the top three.

I use to have animosity towards the Jets, Knicks, Pirates and the Mets, but they have had more than their share of hard times and I feel sorry for them, more than any hard feelings.

The Yankees are another story, a lot of fans love to have the Yankees. I respect the Yankees, but I seldom if ever pull for them to win. Same goes for the Cowboys, but the "man with the Hat" was a legend and is due respect from any true football fan. I'll put it this way, Tom Landry is the Earl Weaver of the NFL, even though the only thing they had in common was success, year after year. What higher praise could I give him?

Bill Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever, but my God he makes it easy not to like him!

I know these Dome stadiums make economical sense, but like you I love watching football in harsh winter weather. The Vikings were exciting to watch in the 70s. I still enjoy a winter weather game from Green Bay, the frozen tundra! Buffalo, Cleveland and Denver can get interesting late in the season as well!

Like you I route for the underdog when my teams are not involved.

Thanks for talking sports with me!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 62 with 70% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Is it just me or does Boris Johnson look and act like Donald Trump's love child?
1569412168163.png

I thought this one was funny
1569412210868.png

Before anybody gets all riled up, remember, it's just comedy and nobody is above a the law, joke ;)

Good morning everyone. 67 and mostly cloudy. This cool-down is supposed to be short-lived, with daytime temps getting back into the mid-to-upper 80's next week.

Willie, Louis, CCoffran, Chad, Sherrel, Patrick, CambriaArea, Wheeler, Curt, Chet, Garry, and anyone I missed - Thanks for the likes and comments about the scene I posted yesterday.
Chet - Looks like it's time for you to put out the WELCOME WINTER sign:rolleyes:
Garry - Again, glad things are going better for your DIL and SIL. Keep us posted.

Well, I did get a little time in the train room last night. Got the hill in and landscaped, and added some landscaping along the main line on the other side. Here's the first installment of progress on that area where the lumber company is:
Before and after:

Lumber1.jpg
Lumber3_9-25-19.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Ok, I'll give up comedy for now and stick to baseball.

Dylan Bundy pitched a good game for the Orioles last night! That made me very happy! I even stayed awake long enough to see him pitch 7 innings and only give up 2 runs!

The idiots "experts" on sports radio have been saying with Bundy elidable for arbitration (for those who don't know arbitration means Bundy's bank account is about to get much bigger) the Orioles should let him go. I could not disagree more. With a little more support from the defense and the bats he could have a more than respectable won-loss record. As it was he was one of the few Oriole starters who more often than not gave the Birds a chance to win when he took the mound. With his 6-14 record the Orioles will be getting a steal in arbitration.

After Tommy John surgery Bundy lost 5-6+mph off his fastball. He has worked very hard to change his approach and has shown signs of greatness with his new 92-93mph fastball and 4 other pitches. Last night he retired the first 8 hitters and through the first 5 innings he only threw 59 pitches. He is getting it, pay the man! I'd do more than tender an offer for arbitration, I would sign him long term if possible. God knows we need reliable starters!

Louis -- I really enjoy you and JOE talking sports - even though I am not as versed in individual players and statistics as you two are.
My dad was a died-in-the-wool Cowboys fan ... I am so very sorry that I did not take him to a game, or two, back when the man in the hat was coaching. I could have very easily, just did not make the time! I wish that the teams would not be able to take the name with them when they move cities! The "Colts"(to me) will always be Baltimore - and now I have to put up with the LA Chargers- NOPE - I still refer to them as the San Diego Chargers - thank you; I see that Rivers has not lost his knack to lose a game in the last 5 minutes of a game ... fumble, interception, failure to get the play off on time, Yadda, Yadda.
I do have some GB wearables -- Also a Cowboys winter jacket that some guy left at our house from one of the daughters parties one time. I love it - It is the warmest jacket that I have ever owned except for a knee length sheep wool coat that I had in the Western Colorado mountains. People around here make fun of me when I have my GB sweater and knit cap on with the Cowboy's jacket.
I'm fed up with the PC crap! I hope Washington NEVER changes their name - suck it up, snowflakes!

Temp is supposed to be 84* today - was 96* yesterday. It's like YO-YO !!

So glad to hear that GREG is still kicking ...was very worried that we had not heard.

Sherrel, regrets are the one thing we collect, but can never get rid of. Do what I do, try to look forward instead of back and when I do look back I try to see only the good things. All we can do is learn from our mistakes. Life is not like a video game, there is no reset button. Life is on the job training and mistakes are always going to happen.

I don't get upset with the young people in my family, because I know they think they are too busy to come see me. I'd bet your Dad understood as well. One day the young will realize, like you and I did, we were not as busy as we thought and we should have made time for important things. Hindsight is always 20-20

So many of those California fans are fickle, fair weather, front runners! With the exception of the 49ers all the NFL teams in California have moved, a few more than once!
1569416087593.png

As a true blue Baltimore Colts fan I know the pain of losing my team. Unlike most in Baltimore I don't put all the blame on Robert Irsay. The politicians made promises never fulfilled, the fans turned their back when the team was losing and the media was just plain nasty to Bob Irsay. It still hurts to see the white helmet and the blue horseshoe in Indianapolis. They added insult to injury when they brought back the old logo minus the words "Baltimore Colts"
1569416410782.png

This is the logo I loved. I was a cold, mean and nasty 19 year old when they moved, they broke my heart and I cried. I can count on one hand the number of times I have cried in my life. Losing the Colts was the least of those times, but it still hurts.

1569416501382.png

"People around here make fun of me when I have my GB sweater and knit cap on with the Cowboy's jacket." You are the man!!! I wear my Redskins jacket with my Ravens hat!

"I hope Washington NEVER changes their name - suck it up, snowflakes!" I love it!!! :)

Morning all,

Supposed to be in the mid 80's today. Still overcast from overnight rain. You can tell I put the winterizer on the lawn last week.....

Nothing new on the train side. Seems life is getting in the way a little bit.

I enjoy everyone's pictures and posts.

Good morning. 41 degrees at 0500 and we could possibly get up to the mid 60's. Cold in snow are forecast for the weekend. My only concern is that the trees have not shed their leaves yet.

Willie - I am really enjoying your photos. Outstanding photos from the museum.

Johnny - Nice work on the scenery. Well done.

Louis - Great photos as usual.

I'll be taking off shortly to the tire shop to have the winter tires put on the car and then meet some friends in town for lunch. I hate going into town, but I also have a deposit to make for my wife for the bowling league. Maybe I'll have some time this afternoon to visit the train room.

Later

Good Morning All. A muggy 79° and partly cloudy here in Gulf Shores. Today is supposed to be a day of relaxation! Tomorrow we will check out and start the journey back home. We're making it another two-day trip, staying overnight in Monroe LA. We'll be stopping in Vicksburg MS to visit yet another museum with several model railroads. Not sure if we'll stop in Jackson MS to visit the one that's there; time (and knee) constraints.
Flo, make it a pair of over easy eggs and lots of bacon.
Let me start with the remaining caboose pictures that I took yesterday.
IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

A few notes on yesterday evening pictures, the freight cars were repainted but were not painted prototypically. They were still well done, with all of the underbody details and appear to be operable.
The engine was not open and the windows were so weathered that I could not get any pictures through them.
My brother in law was impressed with the Timken roller bearings since he is a 40+ year employee of the company.
The building itself that I pictured is an old restored L&N depot that has been moved into it;s current location. Inside it is a historical museum. The layout is in a separate building that was built specifically for the layout/railroad memorabilia.

Sherrel -
Willie - Apologies - I think I misspell Arlene's name about half the time.
You are correct sir. Stay on Kate's case, both procedures will be a benefit to her regardless of the difficulty.
Chet -
Willie - I am really enjoying your photos of the visit to the gulf coast. Makes me want to think about a similar trip when it is B/S below zero up here. Enjoy!
Let me know if the Gulf Coast area is in your scope. I can certainly list all of the train museums that I visit.
Most important, thanks for the update on Greg.

Here's a few more from the museum.

IMG_2275.JPG

Here's one for you Louis.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

Time to go for now, more pictures later. Layout pictures next time.
Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back