Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 48 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the low 70's.

Beady - I dislike flying (commercial) and will drive if at all possible. Can't count how many road trips we took over the years. We enjoy them a lot. To fly out of our location it is extremely expensive compared to flying out of large cities. We would rather enjoy the countryside we travel through driving.

Willie
- You seem to be enjoying yourselves a lot. Great photos. The museum seems to have something for everyone.

Sherrel - Like that idea about using the old lighting panels. Thumb up.gif

Z - Nice photos. I've been down there a number of times and there's a lot of rail fanning opportunities in the area. Like the set of wheels also.

Louis
- great photos again. Like the shot of the DM&IR Yellowstone (2-8-8-4) I did get to ride on the Northern Pacific ones when they were used for helper service on Bozeman Pass. This was their last duties before the NP scrapped them. They were too large to fit through the tunnel at the top of the pass. Also like the vintage photos you've been posting with the trolleys.

As I mentioned yesterday, the F-7 A-B-A trio can easily handle the grade I have on my layout. Here's a video.

Hoping to be able to try them out this Saturday at the club, weather permitting. There is snow in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

Later

Good Morning Shop Dwellers! Flo - how about a stack of blueberry flapjacks and a handfull of bacon - just coffee to drink - thanks!
Supposed to be 84* today - was 94* yesterday, and the record was 104* in 2012.
I forget Terry reminded me that it's been over 100 days here without any measurable moisture - and very few clouds.

Willie - nice pics - looks as if they have the same white sand there as Destin, FL. Surprised that Sharpton hasn't protested that? I forget - why are you and Arlean NOT staying at the house?

CHET - You're video skills have really progressed - that is a wonderful one, and just about the right length. Nice seeing a caboose on the rear of the train where it's supposed to be.

LOUIS - Thanks for the pics and the sports report! Darn - I was pulling for the CUBS all the way. I did watch the Packers yesterday - Go PACK! My SIL over in Newport is a Denver fan, so I get to "needle" him a little.

Talking about the Packers - My mind Can't help but wander to GREG's dilemma. In his case - No News is NOT good news!

Gotta get the trash barrels out - I hear the truck at the end of the street ... Later, Guys

Morning all,

Took me 45 minutes to catch up from Thursday. I did indeed have the day off Friday and managed to get the yard work completed just as it started the heavy drizzle that we weren't supposed to have. We were expected to have severe storms Friday night and early Saturday with severe storms and flooding Saturday afternoon through Sunday Morning. We had a 15 minute no rain thunderstorm that took the power out for 20 minutes and then some nice rain overnight Saturday. We needed it as I had placed my first winterizer application Friday and didn't run the sprinklers as we were supposed to get some rain.

I did manage a few hours yesterday on the layout.

20190922_154712.jpg

I hate to say this is the best picture I took, but once the glue has set, I finally have completed the second loop on my layout. This picture shows part of the 2nd lift bridge. I still have the passing\station line to set in this loop as well as the rail yard. I still need the cork underlay on the new bridge. It will be setup like the other one you can see in the background. But I'm finally getting this out of my head and into something I can start running trains on and scenicing (is that even a word?).

You can tell I'm watching movies while I work....lol

Howdy ....

Yesterday I hosted layout tour and it went well. The visitors are members of the Diner in the MR forum . They rode in the business car for the tour.

48484547262_a3c7843a55_z.jpg

A fun day !

I just learned my sister in law and her husband have been in a bad car accident this morning and are in the hospital. They live in Michigan.

Willie, you say you would like to have youth and wisdom. Okay, *poof* you're a 5-year old lama in a mountain temple in Tibet.

Oh, you meant you also want to be a younger version of yourself? Okay, you are now you, and you have all of your actual adult knowledge, awareness and experience. You are also still in your mother's uterus. Be sure and let us know how the birth goes.

Oh, all right! You are whatever youthful age you want to be, with all of your late-life knowledge and maturity. You're what, in your 70s? Your memories of what came before are all comparatively fresh and new, including every zit, broken bone and humiliation; since you have also imported your 70-yo maturity and knowledge, you are also aware of all the events to come, good and bad, that gave you that maturity and knowledge, but are helpless to avoid them. After all, if you avoided an event, you would lose the maturity and knowledge that you would have otherwise gained from it. BTW, how do you think emotionally and intellectually 70-yo you in your 25-yo body would get along with your physically, emotionally and intellectually 25-yo real-life wife? There's probably not much common ground or interest there, at least on her part, so say good bye.

Nope, the genie's three wishes are a can of worms. If I were to run across Aladdin's lamp, I'd throw it in the ocean and run like hell. Even an atheist like me can worship the god of unintended consequences.

Again, in an effort to lighten up:

FB_IMG_1555234563051.jpg

Howdy ....

Yesterday I hosted layout tour and it went well. The visitors are members of the Diner in the MR forum . They rode in the business car for the tour.

48484547262_a3c7843a55_z.jpg

A fun day !

I just learned my sister in law and her husband have been in a bad car accident this morning and are in the hospital. They live in Michigan.
Crap! I hope they're OK. Keep us posted. Thinking of you.

Louis - That beer-face cream story is the funniest thing I have read in years! I laughed so hard, I almost peed!!
Chet - Really nice video . I enjoyed watching.
Garry - Praying your SIL and husband are okay. Keep us posted.
Beady - RE/your toiled bowl photo - - many MANY years ago, when I was in the USN and stationed at GTMO, I was out at one of the beaches during some time off and went to use the men's bathroom - it had been destroyed by someone with a sledgehammer, I guess - looked very much like your photo, except X10. So I went to the women's restroom - it was empty - sat down on a toilet, and whaddya know - in walks a lady. She sees me and turns and walks out immediately and I come out a minute later and explained why I had been in there. She didn't believe me - probably thought I was some sort of pervert - so I took her around the corner and let her look into the men's bathroom - she said something like, "Oh, okay, I see."

Afternoon All,

Did chores, vacuumed the pool and finally got the toilet unclogged from grandson. Plunging couldn't clear it but Kathy read online to drain it to the normal level pour a pan of boiling water in it, then empty a box of baking soda in it, and finally pour in a cup of vinegar. Place the plunger over the drain hole (loosely) and wait about an hour. When we tried flushing after this and it actually overflowed (clear water) but as soon as the plunger was tried it drained and was clear. A new one on me!:)

Joe- Sorry I missed your building. It should look great on your waterfront.

Sherrel- Great idea for the windows.

Z- Interesting photos.

Louis- Interesting about the 2-8-8-4's and their use.

Willie- Looks like a fun time.

Chet- They look like great pullers. Who makes them?

Garry- Nice picture. Sorry to hear about your family members. Prayers for them.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis - That beer-face cream story is the funniest thing I have read in years! I laughed so hard, I almost peed!!
Chet - Really nice video . I enjoyed watching.
Garry - Praying your SIL and husband are okay. Keep us posted.
Beady - RE/your toiled bowl photo - - many MANY years ago, when I was in the USN and stationed at GTMO, I was out at one of the beaches during some time off and went to use the men's bathroom - it had been destroyed by someone with a sledgehammer, I guess - looked very much like your photo, except X10. So I went to the women's restroom - it was empty - sat down on a toilet, and whaddya know - in walks a lady. She sees me and turns and walks out immediately and I come out a minute later and explained why I had been in there. She didn't believe me - probably thought I was some sort of pervert - so I took her around the corner and let her look into the men's bathroom - she said something like, "Oh, okay, I see."
Yeah, I remember those "facilities." My Cost Guard cutter went to Gitmo for six weeks underway training in January of '74. One day, I got left ashore to take care of some ship's business. It only took an hour or so, and I spent the rest of the day clambering around the hills behind the base. Had a rather unique experience: I was standing at the top of a hill and saw a small raincloud heading toward me, in an otherwise clear sky. The cloud passed not quite overhead and would have left me untouched, but I stuck out one arm into the rain and got it drenched. Totally bizarre!

Raincoat2- I found that JTT scenery makes round and rectangular bales in one package and is available from several sources.
Need to decide how many bales I want to use..
Willie- your subjects of focal in interest is quite good on the beach.
I was at the museum in Mississippi about 3 years ago. They have obviously expanded their displays. Thanks for sharing.

Howdy ..

Big scare earlier today when we learned Sister In Law and Brother In Law were in a bad accident, and they were in the hospital.. Car rolled several times. ..... Thankfully SIL and BIL were not badly hurt. ..... SIL discharged from hospital late in the evening. BIL remains in hospital for tests. He already had heart problems, and he is having tests for that. Both have bruises, etc. but no major injuries. ....... Seat belts and air bags saved them.... Car is totaled. ...

Garry, that is great news about your brother-in-law and sister-in-law. These newer cars are amazing, my wife's little Chevy has 5 airbags, that is comforting to me.

How are you feeling?

Sherrel, I'm sorry to hear your Cubs let you down, but ever since they hired that "genius" I have not been a fan of the Cubs. I got sick of hearing what a genius he is when he was managing in the AL east. Like Buck Showalter said "it's easy to look like a genius when you have so many #1 draft picks on your roster"

Until recently I always like the Cubs, Stan the Man, Santo, Banks, Williams and more, but I have always been partial to the Cardinals. When I was a little boy they were the only other birds and Earl Weaver came from the Cardinals organization. Earl credited the "gashouse gang" for his baseball education.

Your Packers could be one of the biggest surprises this season. Rodgers is better than Brady in my opinion and now Rodgers has a defense that can stop the other team! Quarterbacks don't win games alone, good teams combined with good coaches win games in the NFL.

That's not to say good coaches and good teams don't win in MLB. They are critical to making the playoffs in the long baseball season. The difference is a handful of players can win a short series with outstanding individual effort in MLB regardless of the coaches. Unfortunately that was why Earl Weaver won only one World Series, even though his teams made the playoffs more often then not. Earl's Orioles won over 100 games/season 5 times and won 90+/season games 7 times and won 59 games in the strike shortened 1981 season. Earl's lifetime winning percentage was .583, projected over 162 games that's 94.4 wins.

Willie, thanks so very much for the pictures of the O gauge stuff and all the pictures. Did that picture find you lecturing the gulf?

Chet, I just received the November issue of Classic Toy Trains. The cover head line reads; "GREAT SCENES Lessons From Reliable And Entertaining Layouts." Your layout immediately came to mind. Not only is your layout ascetically magnificent, but from your videos I know it is equally reliable.

The magazine refers to O gauge trains and I thought "if reliability is an issue with O gauge, it may be even worse in HO". I know from my own experience HO is much more troublesome then O when it comes to reliability.

Every Lionel O layout I built was reliable, flip the switch and it works and does not require much maintenance.

With the exception of one, every HO layout I built took much more time and effort to make it work and keep it working.

My question is; what method or methods did you and do you use to build and maintain such a reliable layout? Are there some basic fundamentals that can't be overlooked?

Beady, that toilet looks like the aftermath of an M-80 or two, I hope it was not due to Taco Bell, but I do know Taco Bell can cause an explosive reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back