Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 63 and cloudy out there.

Chessie, Garry, Chad, Patrick, Chet, CCoffran, Willie, Sherrel, Louis, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thank you for the likes and comments on my progress photos from yesterday.
Beadie - did you see my post a couple of days ago regarding GTMO? I was there in January 1974 when your CG ship came by. Small world! I was stationed there for 15 months! Left in December that year.

Nothing to report from the train room. No progress on that new area. Maybe tonight. But I did find this photo - don't think I posted it before. I am a jigsaw puzzle nut freak whacko aficionado, and my wife almost always gets me a new puzzle every Christmas. She gave me this one 2 or 3 years ago - I still have it together on a table. So that's what the jolly old guy does when he's not eating cookies!

SantaAndTrainsJigsaw.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Chessie, Garry, Chad, Patrick, Chet, CCoffran, Willie, Sherrel, Louis, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thank you for the likes and comments on my progress photos from yesterday.
Beadie - did you see my post a couple of days ago regarding GTMO? I was there in January 1974 when your CG ship came by. Small world! I was stationed there for 15 months! Left in December that year.

Nothing to report from the train room. No progress on that new area. Maybe tonight. But I did find this photo - don't think I posted it before. I am a jigsaw puzzle nut freak whacko aficionado, and my wife almost always gets me a new puzzle every Christmas. She gave me this one 2 or 3 years ago - I still have it together on a table. So that's what the jolly old guy does when he's not eating cookies!

View attachment 39809

Yep, the perfect occupation to help maintain Santa's figure. The cookies are for when he's away, one day a year.

Morning all,

Some storms again overnight, but nothing close. Doesn't keep the weather radio from going off. It is still county based and living in the largest county in Kansas, storms 50 miles away and moving away from my area can cause the stupid thing to go off, but note, I still keep it running. It has been useful!

Still running this stupid sinus stuff, but I think it is starting to break up.

GREG: Glad to hear you're getting better everyday.

Still nothing on the train front. I was tired when I got home and waited for the parents to pick up the grand kids. Then had supper and just watched TV. I had been watching Fastest car on Netflix. It is fun to watch car guys beat the owners of super cars that have them garages and rarely drive them.

Good show if you're into built cars beating bought cars. The only thing the wife didn't like was the "course" language.

Let me say THANK YOU to all the people who post pictures on this forum.
I have copied hundreds of engines to my computer files.

Willie - I did not realize how much model and prototype railroad displays and museums I have been ignoring along the Gulf Coast.
Thanks for all the great pictures to remind me to travel to several places along the coast.
There are several locations around central and north Alabama I have yet to visit. I will be planning several day trips over the next year.

I did not realize how much model and prototype railroad displays and museums I have been ignoring along the Gulf Coast.
Thanks for all the great pictures to remind me to travel to several places along the coast.
Willie can sniff out a model train from far, far away.

Great photos, Willie. I like the LIONEL stuff too! Saw quite a bit of MARX too!

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours with Phil and Jon this morning and had a very fun time.

Louis- No, as a kid I saw Santa Fe passenger trains (west TX). I really enjoyed the Hungarian loco pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

ALL RIGHT, enough of this heat! I just saw on TV that Birmingham's official 96 degrees broke the 95 degree record from 1897. We have drought in and around three counties surrounding Birmingham. We have only had three days under 90 since the first of June.
I would like to spread out some of this heat into Feb.
Enough Witching!
Willie- Hope you have a good safe trip home.

ALL RIGHT, enough of this heat! I just saw on TV that Birmingham's official 96 degrees broke the 95 degree record from 1897. We have drought in and around three counties surrounding Birmingham. We have only had three days under 90 since the first of June.
I would like to spread out some of this heat into Feb.
Enough Witching!
Willie- Hope you have a good safe trip home.

You want me to send you some of the snow we're expecting.

Good Afternoon All from West Monroe LA. Taking an overnight break from the journey home. Thanks for all of the well wishes, likes and comments regarding our incredible journey. I can't wait to get back home though and sort through all of the pictures. Need to start a diet quickly.

Louis -
I want one of those Budweiser wagons with a team of Clydesdales! Is that a Dalmatian on the other side of the driver?
Yes there is a Dalmatian on the seat besides the driver.
Mikey - Besides the one in Vicksburg that we are visiting today, there are four inside the Mississippi Agriculture Museum in Jackson.

More pictures from yesterday's visit to the Foley Museum's Lionel layout.
A block along Main Street.
IMG_2262.JPG

A hobo camp.
IMG_2263.JPG

Another city scene.
IMG_2264.JPG

Here's a couple of family events.
IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

A few more city scenes.
IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

More to come later.
Waiting to visit my own train shed.

View attachment 39809

Yes, I did see it. Sort of reminds me of that recent match.com ad where the girl compares her gps history to a prospective date's and discovers they've been criss-crossing paths for months. So, let's stop dinking around, big boy; give me a call. ;)

Sherrel, I can understand you not having a "home team", look at the brightside, your team could always be in the playoffs! I'm a Baltimore fan, first and foremost and I'm partial to the Washington teams, but I follow many other teams, in several sports. It's an easy choice for me, I was born, raised and God willing I will die in Baltimore, but like you I am a sports fan and I can enjoy watching almost any teams play.

My friend from Philadelphia wanted to buy me an Eagles (Eggles as he pronounces it) Super Bowl Jersey, I told him, "don't waste your money, I won't wear it". He asked my grandson as well, his reply "no thank you, I have a ravens Jersey", that's my boy!

I only buy Orioles and Ravens gear, although I do have a great Redskins winter jacket and sweatshirt I have had since before the Ravens came to town. I don't respect fans that jump on the champions band wagon! As George Allen said about Cowboys fans "they are nothing, but a bunch of front runners!"

I have an authentic Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts jersey. I'd like to have a Baltimore Bullets Jersey, but I can find an original in my size. I guess the name Bullets is politically incorrect. As far as that goes, I'm proud of the Redskins for not changing their name! I still follow the Wizards.

My interest in other teams began when I routed for the Cardinals in the 68 world series. It was the first World Series that I watched with the beginning of an understanding of the game. I liked the Cardinals in 1967 series, but I did not know what I was watching, I only liked the bird and I did not like the Red Sox. Bob Gibson will always be a legend to me. I became interested in the Redskins when Vince Lombardi was the head coach. When the Colts failed to make the playoffs in 72 it was an easy choice to follow the Redskins. The "Over the Hill Gang" were fun to watch! As a little boy I also liked the Lions. On our black and white TV the Lions looked like the Colts and they had a cool name. Back then football cards did not show team logos on the uniforms and the Lions even looked like the Colts to me on my football cards. I have always been a little color blind.

As I said, I like many teams, but there are a few I don't like, the by far Steelers I dislike the most and I don't like the Red Sox and Patriots to name the top three.

I use to have animosity towards the Jets, Knicks, Pirates and the Mets, but they have had more than their share of hard times and I feel sorry for them, more than any hard feelings.

The Yankees are another story, a lot of fans love to have the Yankees. I respect the Yankees, but I seldom if ever pull for them to win. Same goes for the Cowboys, but the "man with the Hat" was a legend and is due respect from any true football fan. I'll put it this way, Tom Landry is the Earl Weaver of the NFL, even though the only thing they had in common was success, year after year. What higher praise could I give him?

Bill Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever, but my God he makes it easy not to like him!

I know these Dome stadiums make economical sense, but like you I love watching football in harsh winter weather. The Vikings were exciting to watch in the 70s. I still enjoy a winter weather game from Green Bay, the frozen tundra! Buffalo, Cleveland and Denver can get interesting late in the season as well!

Like you I route for the underdog when my teams are not involved.

Thanks for talking sports with me!
Louis- living where I do, I will pull for the Packers, provided their winning does not adversely affect my beloved Rams. I honestly feel that the Vikings made a mistake in building another dome, since this one is not primarily a multi-sport facility. It was done purely for economic reasons, so that they could win bids for major events like the Super Bowl & Final Four. I honestly think that the Super Bowl should be held at the home of the higher ranked team. If for logistic reasons they need to assign it 2-3 years out, they still should use the home stadium for the best team at the deadline, whether it be Green Bay or suburban Dade County(or anywhere in between). They play at the home stadium for one of the teams for the other 20 weekends, why change it for the championship game?
If the Twins make it to the World Series, those games at Target Field have the potential to be freakin cold. Well, cold by baseball standards.

Good evening y'all: Just returned from our trip to Northern New York. Brought our 4 year old his new Hockey skates. for his birthday. Watertown, NY has a very nice ice rink. Little guy is taking basic skating lessons, and is doing very well. Should be on a "Mites" team next year.

Drive home was the trip from hell, with numerous slowdowns due to construction, heavy rain, and closures due to accidents. Had to detour through Philly, during the rush hour. Their roads cannot handle the volume of traffic. 5½ hour trip, took almost nine hours.

Have about six pages of posts to catch up with.

later.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back