Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very busy day.I think everyone came today due to the home team Buffalo Bills have a home game tomorrow. Should be a slow day tomorrow to get layout pics. I did get pics of my high and wide train.
IMG_3070.jpg
IMG_3069.jpg
IMG_3068.jpg
IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg

An MRL photo from the Gas Local loading facility at Pipeline MT, by Brian Ambrose on 10/27/08, per FB, of #382 SD45-2XR on the point, going east. It is ex SCL SD45 #2029.
A comment on the post was that they much preferred an SD40-2 in the lead, because of the '45's lateral and rocking ride.
1574557092357.png

Another one from Brian in 1997 of the Gas Local climbing Evaro Hill MT, westward at Nagos Milepost 6. The 2nd Loco, an F45, in WS colors, will become MRL 392. #263 is one of those ubiquitous SD40-2XR's, here with the Lifesaver Logo alongside the original double stripe, half Washington Corp "W". Interesting too are the tanks, mostly in black paint, which later all became white owned by Conoco, Since having been purchased by GATX, some that were damaged in the rollover at Missoula yard a few years ago, are now black again.
1574557913143.png

And, for the steam fans, one from Mitch Dahl. SP&S #700 about to leave Des Met to haul what looks like an excursion train up Evaro Hill's 2.2% grade. According to Mitch, pronunciation is Eh'-var-row (with allowances for accent, no doubt.)
1574559191160.png

Good morning. It's clear and 40.
Trip to the stealership yesterday was a waste of time. Vibration was called "normal", and the turn signal not making noise must have been because I had the radio muted. I'll call them back tomorrow, and go over those guys' heads to see if I can get them fixed.

Good morning. Coffee and danish hit the spot.
SHERM- JEEZ, havent seen that cartoon in YEARS. Thanks for the memory.
Y'ALL stay warm and dry
Phil

Good Morning All. 39° and clear in my world. 70° for a high today and tomorrow and then 75° on Tuesday. I'll take it for the end of November. Overworked in the yard yesterday, tired this morning but not sore! Man! It was really slow here yesterday, the whole forum seemed to be in low gear. Lots of folks with other stuff to do.

How about some Eggs Benedict over here this morning Flo. An extra English Muffin on the side.

Thanks for the likes on yesterday's pictorial; Jim, Justin, Phil, Patrick, Mikey, Joe, Tom, Chad, Jerome.

Another short day in the train shed yesterday due to the great weather here. I did get some detailing work done, but didn't get far enough to photograph. Working on the space between the structures.
How about a picture of another "hidden" structure on the layout.
04-10-15 011.JPG

Patrick - I remember our IT guys complaining about Microsoft back when I was still working. They would set up to start when they left work Friday night and hope that at least some would progress towards completion by the time that they returned Saturday. We had about a dozen if I recall correctly, mail server, web server, proxy server. Heck, I even seem to remember a password server. If things went well, which was rare, they would find most of them updated; but like you posted, a few needed reboots to continue.
Best wishes on your knee.
Mikey -
Do you paint your figures specifically for a scene?
Yes and no. Mostly I keep a supply of unpainted figures on the side of the workbench. If I am painting something else and it is an appropriate color for clothing, I will use it on a couple of figures randomly. If I am going for a special look, I will "paint to order". On a lot of the unpainted Preiser figures I trim off hats, coats and luggage; and sometimes rearrange arms and legs as needed.
Beady - Good picture of the current setup.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone...partly sunny here in Wisconsin.

Taking the morning off and just hanging out at the computer desk and later plan to read the latest issue of the NMRA Magazine...with Eric Brooman's Utah Belt Railroad on the cover to tease about the upcoming NMRA Gateway 2020 in St. Louis. The Packer game is on later tonight when they play the 49er's and it should be a great game. The Packers' new coach seems to have the attention of the team and they are playing like a team should play!

I like Eric's railroad and just may drive down to St. Louis next year and visit this layout on tour. I'm amazed at how Eric keeps up with all the latest motive power on his layout. St. Louis is an easy day drive from our home and we have made the trip on our Gold Wing motorcycle many times, even in the rain.

Our local WISE Division of NMRA has monthly winter meets where there are swap meets, clinics and several layouts on tour. Missed the last few years, but will start attending again this winter.

Terry: Dealership woes...I had my Chevy Pick Up at the dealer last week for an oil change and a recall notice. They didn't know any thing about the recall until I gave them my recall notice and on my previous visit the Service Tech said I had a dirty air cleaner. I told them that I change my own filter for me to save the $25 cost difference between a dealer cleaner verses a auto supply store cleaner. They made no mention this trip about the dirty air cleaner which I forgot to change since I was in the hospital and Rehab. Funny how they seem to forgot to check items on their 24 point check list! I used to change my oil on all my vehicles, but old age as set in and it easier to sit in the dealer's lounge and look at the $100k plus Corvettes in the showroom.

That's all for now.....

Greg

#######################################

IMG_0234.JPG
The interior of one of the control panels on the CM&N layout. This panel is primarly lighting, switch machines and a ramp meter to measure volts and amps on my DCC layout. The red lamp provides a load for the large 12 volt transformer that operates the incandescent lighting on the layout.-Greg

Good morning. 38 degrees to start the day and it is already up to 47 at 11:30 AM. Yesterday I spent some time helping my daughter move. She had a lot of friends from where she works show up and we got all of the larger items that needed the truck moved fairly quickly. Gave me some time to get down into the train room for a while in the afternoon.

Greg - As to your question on the yard at the club, the yard is a double ended yard and all tracks are through tracks and can be used to get onto bot of the main lines. Looking at the photo, the second and third track from the right are the two main line tracks. I will have to agree with you on the sign overload statement. Couldn't imagine living in a city. Like that Milwaukee Road RS-1.

Curt - Like your photos. I have enough tractors for a flat car load but just haven't found the time to put them on a flat car. Maybe I'm too lazy. The weathering on the hopper is beautiful.

Jim - Missed the post about your retirement. Welcome to the club. Recognized the location of the Milwaukee Road photo in an instant as being in St. Regis. The Northern Pacific and Milwaukee road pretty well ran right along side each other from Butte, MT to St. Regis. Tis is where the lines parted. The Milwaukee Road ran west to Haugen where it then headed south to Avery, ID. The Northern Pacific which in right below the camera location heads northwest to Sand Point, ID. That bridge is still there but the approach span where the Little Joe is on has been removed. This photo was most likely taken from Interstate 90. Great photo.

Johnny - I don't usually run long trains on my home layout either. An average train for me is 9 to 10 cars and the max is probably around 14 cars. As I have stated so many times, my layout was built mainly as a switching layout. That's one reason I enjoy running at my club. Switching can be difficult there especially if we have say six operators as the yards are probably the best place to switch with so much main line traffic. It is nice to be able to get out on the main line with a long train., but it is hard to find a place to get a decent photo of a long train. Now that I finally got the second A unit for an A-B-A consist, the two and a half percent grades are no problem any more. Here's about the only place to get a photo of a long train at the club. I added a dozen more cars after this photo was taken.

thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg

Willie - Really like that book store. You have just so many items that add a lot of interest to your layout. Reminds me of the club. When I am fone for a few weeks I come back and find so may mini scenes that have been added to the layout. The trading post is a nice addition.

Justin - Hope you get over your food poisoning quickly.

Tom - Like the photos. N scale or HO ?? Like those flat car loads.

Joe - The fire house is looking good. It is one building I never got to put on my layout. Realized it after I ran out of room.

Beady - Like the photo. Is the layout going to expand onto the extension on the left??

I did get to do some switching after returning home from my daughters. Here is a through freight entering the Logan Yard after dropping off three cars at Churchill. An outbound train is ready to depart Logan.

thumbnail_20191123_132214.jpg

Here Buckshot, the little 45 ton switcher drops off a couple of box cars at the factory next to the Chevy dealership.

thumbnail_20191123_131541.jpg

thumbnail_20191123_131315.jpg

The last car to be spotted is the tanker at Tschache Oil.

thumbnail_20191123_131122.jpg

I had though about heading over the pass to the club last night but I was worn out. If I would have gone to the club, I probably wouldn't have gotten home until past 10 PM. Was in bed before 8 and fell right to sleep.

Later

Last edited:
Beady - Like the photo. Is the layout going to expand onto the extension on the left??
Yup. That's where I had the brainstorm to use the double crossover. The initial idea was to use turnouts that would allow a single main line that would circle both tables in one long circuit, or the switches could be thrown to isolate each table so that two trains could be run. The problem was exacerbated by needing to make the curves as wide as possible because of the Big Boy needing a minimum of 15" curves. After mulling it over for several months (I'm a very slow thinker), it struck me that I could accomplish it all with the double crossover.

So, the connection between the two tables will be an X pattern where, when I want to combine both tables into a single circuit, a train will enter the crossover from the (using compass points) NE to the SW; circle one table; reenter the X from the SE to the NW, circle the 2nd table; and repeat. It'll be a giant figure 8. Or I can throw the switch, changing the x to a =, closing off the tables from each other, and create two independent, smaller circuits.

It took me a while to figure this out because I've only seen double crossovers used to transfer between parallel lines, never to connect the two halves of an 8.

Howdy everyone!

Jerome, chadbag, Tom, Phil, Greg, Justin, Posse, Joe, Patrick - thanks for the my last post likes!
Patrick - how's the knee doing?
Beady - nice layout - it looks a lot like one I had.
Tom - nice show photos!
Ray - great looking photos
Willie - nice trading post - it reminds me of when I traveled out west.
Chet - thanks for the welcome to the retired club. I knew you would recognize St. Regis. I was just
waiting for you to check in.

I went to a small train show this morning. I picked up a Proto 2000 52'6" gondola, new in the box for $10 and
a like-new Roundhouse 3-bay open hopper with Kadee #5's for $10. :)
I saw a like-new Athearn GP38-2, but decided to look around some more. I went back to get the Athearn and he
just sold it. I asked what he got for it? $25 !!! I was :(:mad: ! Such is the woes of the train show.
By this time the hall was jam-packed, so I left.

Going down to work on the layout.

I hope everyone has a nice day!

2Ua1HlO.jpg

Afternoon All,

I have spent most the day doing projects around the house and finally made it to the living room to sit down for awhile.

Tom- Neat modular layout and car loads.

Joe- Thank you. That's going to be a neat scene.

Willie- I really like the different plastic people. The souvenir stand is neat and reminds me of the ones I saw as a kid during vacations.

Beady- The layout looks good.

Toot: Nice 1:1 photos.

Greg- Very neat wiring job.

Chet- Thank you. Great club and home layout photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon everyone. Got my flag pole project completed, new flag ordered. Not much got done on the layout. I moved a pair of Kato SD40-2's up to my BLI SD40-2. Took the attached photo and then went looking for a photo of a real consist using those road names. Well I did find one, but it brought a question to me. Just how do locomotives seem to get so far from home. In one picture I found a UP was with Norfolk & Southern with a old Guilford.
SD40-2's.jpg

Afternoon everyone. Got my flag pole project completed, new flag ordered. Not much got done on the layout. I moved a pair of Kato SD40-2's up to my BLI SD40-2. Took the attached photo and then went looking for a photo of a real consist using those road names. Well I did find one, but it brought a question to me. Just how do locomotives seem to get so far from home. In one picture I found a UP was with Norfolk & Southern with a old Guilford. View attachment 41721
There's a lot of reasons for engines being far from home.
One may be pool power from Portland, OR to Portland, ME, another may be paying back hours, yet another may be on short-term lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back